• 2 Post By Axle
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By Jokar99
  • 2 Post By Jokar99

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old Feb 24th, 2018, 1:26 am Thread Starter

Blinking fault light after battery change

Hi all
New member here looking at buying a 2001 k1200Lt.

The current owner replaced the battery and on start up didn't do the TPS reset. No big problem there of course once going thru the open/close throttle procedure. BUT..cannot get the blinking fault light on the dash to go off. He has tried the standard reset procedure...ignition on...kill switch in run position, wot and closed 3 times, ignition off...then start but the light keeps on blinking.

I've researched here for hours...he has been online at the UK forum...has tried their suggestions...to no avail.

Everything seems to suggest the bike has to go to the stealers...only they can remove the fault with their magical...and obviously expensive wand. Disc the battery does not clear the fault indication as you would expect it to do.

Anyone able to confirm that this is what can happen on a battery change? He tells me the light was not flashing before the change...everything works fine and as it should...just have an annoying flashing light going continually.

From my conversations with him I've no reason to belief he's not being truthful

Any thoughts appreciated...thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old Feb 24th, 2018, 1:49 am

Garage
Re: Blinking fault light after battery change

are you sure it is not the brake light flashing, it wont go off until you get the bike moving, tps is no big deal and will fix itself anyway after a few miles

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #3 of 36 Old Feb 24th, 2018, 2:09 am Thread Starter

Thanks mate...looking at the pics it's the light next to the neutral light

post #4 of 36 Old Feb 24th, 2018, 8:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokar99 View Post
Hi all
New member here looking at buying a 2001 k1200Lt.

The current owner replaced the battery and on start up didn't do the TPS reset. No big problem there of course once going thru the open/close throttle procedure. BUT..cannot get the blinking fault light on the dash to go off. He has tried the standard reset procedure...ignition on...kill switch in run position, wot and closed 3 times, ignition off...then start but the light keeps on blinking.

I've researched here for hours...he has been online at the UK forum...has tried their suggestions...to no avail.

Everything seems to suggest the bike has to go to the stealers...only they can remove the fault with their magical...and obviously expensive wand. Disc the battery does not clear the fault indication as you would expect it to do.

Anyone able to confirm that this is what can happen on a battery change? He tells me the light was not flashing before the change...everything works fine and as it should...just have an annoying flashing light going continually.

From my conversations with him I've no reason to belief he's not being truthful

Any thoughts appreciated...thanks
FIRST, we need to know if your K1200LT has ABS2 or iABS (integral ABS). Depending on Market (USA -vs- rest of the world), you could have either on a 2001 - this is were the ABS system change over was done for most countries.

If Front-Brake CALIPERS are marked BREMBO: you have ABS2 system,
If Front-Brake CALIPERS are marked BMW: you have iABS system (Integral-ABS with servos).

On 1st generation dash of K1200LT, the RED warning sitting next to NEUTRAL has NOTHING to do with engine or EFI faults.
The so called "TPS reset" is NOT required in most cases and will NEVER cause a warning on dash... end-of-story on this ;-)

A RED warning like you refer (next to NEUTRAL) is ONLY related to EITHER:
- ABS faults (if red warning is flashing after ignition is turned ON)
- rear BULB defect (if warning is fixed after ignition is turned ON)
- certain type of brake switches defect on iABS (if warning is fixed after brake is applied)

HOWEVER, the type of faults AND flash sequence will change depending on which ABS system you have. Thus, we need to know this to continue troubleshooting.

On ABS2 system you need EITHER of:
- a manual fault reset using dealer's computer
- a manual fault reset using a GS911
- a manual fault reset using a jumper wire hooked up into the large ABS connector

On later iABS, you do NOT need any of this as the system will do a complete fault checks at each ignition ON sequence. Based on this self-diagnostic procedure, it will show a certain combo of 2 RED warnings (sitting left of NEUTRAL). In this system, you need to start moving (approx 5 mph) to extinguish the last warning. The moving step will complete the internal ABS checks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200RS_IABS_warning_dash.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	139554   Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200RS_Front_brake_Caliper (Composite).jpg
Views:	64
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	139562  

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Last edited by sailor; Feb 24th, 2018 at 9:21 am.
post #5 of 36 Old Feb 24th, 2018, 12:51 pm Thread Starter

Thanks John

You've confirmed what I have suspected...the bike just needs to be moved...it has iABS...the guy with the bike knows less about it than me. Good end result is that he's willing to knock more money off the purchase price to accommodate a sale next weekend....based on the idea that I might be buying something with a problem... you gotta have a win sometime hey!

Appreciate the time you took to reply and extent of explanation....top stuff! Greetings to you from Qld ..... land of Oz
post #6 of 36 Old Feb 24th, 2018, 12:55 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Linton.....you're right....having BMW calipers on the front it's got iABS...relief to know it's a simple fix. Going to be my first BMW in 43yrs riding so bit to get use to. All the best mate from Sunshine Coast Qld
cws likes this.
post #7 of 36 Old Feb 24th, 2018, 1:19 pm

Quote:
Thanks John

You've confirmed what I have suspected...the bike just needs to be moved...it has iABS...the guy with the bike knows less about it than me. Good end result is that he's willing to knock more money off the purchase price to accommodate a sale next weekend....based on the idea that I might be buying something with a problem... you gotta have a win sometime hey!

Appreciate the time you took to reply and extent of explanation....top stuff! Greetings to you from Qld ..... land of Oz
Given that it a new bike for you (understand you bought used). to confirm that all is 100% right with iABS, you need to do all this:
1) with ignition ON, engine NOT started, wait 5 seconds (internal self-check will finish) AND confirm you have only the leftmost ABS red warning flashing SLOW (1 time per sec). They both flash during self-check, but eventually one goes out (general warning).

2) in same configuration (ignition ON, engine NOT started), press Front-brake lever and listed for electrical servo motor of ABS unit. Press lightly at first (for 2 sec) then press harder (for 2 sec). Listen to noise difference as servo motor works stronger (it should).

3) do same test as above using ONLY the rear brake pedal.

4) At this point, check that both RED warnings (left of Neutral) are still in same configuration (ABS is flashing slow, the other is OFF).

5) Go for a ride and check that remaining ABS warning goes OFF after bike moves about 15 feet AND reaches approx 5 MPH.

6) During the ride, use both front lever and brake pedal to test that both ABS warnings do NOT come back.

The goal of the last test is to check for variations ( temperature, tolerances, heat, weak charging system...) that may cause the ABS unit (or the brake switches) to cause a fault on dash. These 2 RED warnings should not show up (until next ignition OFF / ON cycle).

Always make your homework BEFORE you buy.
These iABS units are VERY EXPENSIVE (new) and costly to repair (only in Europe for the moment). This is a weak point of the K1200LT, even more so, if the brake system has not been flush regularly as scheduled in maintenance chart (every year for 1 circuit and every 2 years for all circuits).

John (Montreal, CANADA)
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Last edited by sailor; Feb 24th, 2018 at 1:26 pm.
post #8 of 36 Old Feb 24th, 2018, 1:29 pm Thread Starter

So the only light that's staying on...meaning a continual regular slow blinking is the general warning light...the ABS light, along with the rest of the lights, do their normal thing when the ignition is turned on. After starting everything goes out except the general warning light...I believe he's started the bike and probably just spun the wheels to check that that the brakes are working without actually moving it at 5kmh or so. I've told him to park it and I'll handle it. Thanks again
post #9 of 36 Old Feb 24th, 2018, 1:45 pm Thread Starter

Pic
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gc5074955660538101467.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	139570  
post #10 of 36 Old Feb 24th, 2018, 3:25 pm

Quote:
So the only light that's staying on...meaning a continual regular slow blinking is the general warning light...the ABS light, along with the rest of the lights, do their normal thing when the ignition is turned on. After starting everything goes out except the general warning light...I believe he's started the bike and probably just spun the wheels to check that that the brakes are working without actually moving it at 5kmh or so. I've told him to park it and I'll handle it. Thanks again
I think you got this reversed.... English is not my main language, but what I tried to explain earlier is not the same as what you said above ;-)

LET ME TRY AGAIN:
About 5 seconds AFTER ignition ON, you should ONLY see the leftmost ABS RED warning flashing slow. The "General Warning" (triangle shape) should go OFF during that 5 sec period.

Then, BOTH WHEELS need to move at same speed (approx 5 MPH) so that the system completes the so-called "pull-away" final check. this will extinguish the ABS warning.
I have never tried. but I do NOT think rotating 1 wheel only will work.

Assuming both the basic internal diagnostic check AND also the "pull-away" check are successful, then all warnings are OFF and stay OFF during the ride.

A) If you see a continuous "General-Warning" (triangle) that stays ON , then EITHER of this is causing trouble:
- if it happens just after ignition ON and stay continuous from that point ON, then you probably have a bad , burned, or disconnected center bulb on tail-light assy The tail light assy has 3 separate bulbs for tail / brake function.

- On the other hand, if the "general-warning" goes continuous ON only after you have applied either brake Pedal / Lever, then you have a defect related to a brake switch.

B) If you see a "General-Warning" (triangle) that Flashes slow (1 time per sec) then you need to check Brake Fluid level (DOT4) in a 2 sections container hidden behind the right rear side-case (need to open the case). This 2 sections brake fluid container has 1 sensor for fluid level for both rear and front brake circuit. So 2 sections, 2 sensors and 2 filling points (yellow dot in photo)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	K1200LT_IABS_fluid_check_reservoir.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	139586  

John (Montreal, CANADA)
post #11 of 36 Old Feb 24th, 2018, 4:00 pm Thread Starter

Ok I'll check the fluid levels...sounds like it could be the problem. As you can see in the pic, it's only the general light that's illuminated..it blinks 1 per second as you (and I) described. Thanks
post #12 of 36 Old Feb 25th, 2018, 8:21 am

Quote:
Thanks Linton.....you're right....having BMW calipers on the front it's got iABS...relief to know it's a simple fix. Going to be my first BMW in 43yrs riding so bit to get use to. All the best mate from Sunshine Coast Qld
Hey good to see another local on the forum. I'm in Ferny Hills Brisbane. If you buy the bike we should catch up for a ride. It only takes one ride on an LT and you will be hooked.
I guess the question to ask is though. If it is just a drive away self check thing why doesn't the original owner know that.
post #13 of 36 Old Feb 25th, 2018, 9:27 am Thread Starter

G'day Wazza

Yeah once I've got it together we'll catch up..couple of LTs cruising together sure would have a presence hey.

More conflicting info today about this. The downloaded manual shows the Brembo system only...so no info on iABS at all...obviously aimed purely at the US market. I did find the attached info for a 2005 LT, which of course has the BMW iABS. According to the chart my fault doesn't exist. The only thing close is general light "ON", ABS light "OFF" ...meaning faulty tail light. There's no reference to general light "oscillating" with ABS light "OFF".

I haven't seen the bike yet...flying to Sydney on Saturday and riding straight thru to Sunshine Coast...I think the 1100kms will give me a good feel for it hey!!

I think it probably needs the fluid in the ABS servo reservoir area topping up. It's about 13 months since the fluids were changed. I'm not positive that this "fluid change" done included bleeding the brakes...the owner wouldn't know for sure either...it was done in Melbourne before he bought the bike online...might not have been looked at for a couple of years...just unknown really.

Possibly the level might have been approaching a point of setting off the alarm so when the power was cut to the ECU and then powered up with the new battery the system recognised the level was low and has spat the dummy. Maybe, maybe not. Anyway I'm not too worried about it. If the whole ABS stops working I'll still have brakes.

Having ridden 2 Indian Chiefs, 3 GoldWings and 15 other bikes over the last 43yrs...none of which had ABS I think I'll cope. He's knocking another $600 off the price for what might cost nothing to fix so at $4200 I think it's a few pigs I've killed...it'll do me, especially if you check out Redbook value etc. Got my cassette to Smartphone adaptor ready...couple of gigs of highway music up the M1...I hear the road a'calling.

I'll update my profile with some pics etc when it's all said and done..and obviously post here what the outcome was. We'll get together...perhaps cruise the Brisbane Valley on a lazy Sunday hey? Catch ya later mate.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Warning Table.PNG
Views:	86
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	139610  
post #14 of 36 Old Feb 25th, 2018, 2:08 pm

Quote:
G'day Wazza

Yeah once I've got it together we'll catch up..couple of LTs cruising together sure would have a presence hey.

More conflicting info today about this. The downloaded manual shows the Brembo system only...so no info on iABS at all...obviously aimed purely at the US market. I did find the attached info for a 2005 LT, which of course has the BMW iABS. According to the chart my fault doesn't exist. The only thing close is general light "ON", ABS light "OFF" ...meaning faulty tail light. There's no reference to general light "oscillating" with ABS light "OFF".

I haven't seen the bike yet...flying to Sydney on Saturday and riding straight thru to Sunshine Coast...I think the 1100kms will give me a good feel for it hey!!
For K200LT having iABS, this fault list with 2 columns of warnings is well known and part or the owner's manual (1 of the 2 manuals that comes with a new K1200LT). Thru the years, with experience, forum members have developed an extended list of causes (and combo of warnings) not covered in this list.

HOWEVER, when you see and check the bike, make sure the leftmost ABS warning does appear after ignition ON. Some "funny" owners have removed the Bulb ..OR.. remove the Relay activating this warning (instead of fixing the cause of the problem).

After ignition ON, It is NOT normal to see ONLY a "General-Warning" (triangle) without any ABS warning. There is no such combo (ABS warning OFF with GENERAL-WARNING ON) up-until the pull-away check is done. Only after pull-away check (start moving) could you see a "General-Warning" alone (if steady... meaning bulb or switch fault)

Following ignition ON, until you start moving, the leftmost ABS warning should be visible. Either flash slow (normal) , steady or fast (both of these being faults).

John (Montreal, CANADA)

Last edited by sailor; Feb 25th, 2018 at 2:20 pm.
post #15 of 36 Old Feb 25th, 2018, 3:38 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
For K200LT having iABS, this fault list with 2 columns of warnings is well known and part or the owner's manual (1 of the 2 manuals that comes with a new K1200LT). Thru the years, with experience, forum members have developed an extended list of causes (and combo of warnings) not covered in this list.

HOWEVER, when you see and check the bike, make sure the leftmost ABS warning does appear after ignition ON. Some "funny" owners have removed the Bulb ..OR.. remove the Relay activating this warning (instead of fixing the cause of the problem).

After ignition ON, It is NOT normal to see ONLY a "General-Warning" (triangle) without any ABS warning. There is no such combo (ABS warning OFF with GENERAL-WARNING ON) up-until the pull-away check is done. Only after pull-away check (start moving) could you see a "General-Warning" alone (if steady... meaning bulb or switch fault)

Following ignition ON, until you start moving, the leftmost ABS warning should be visible. Either flash slow (normal) , steady or fast (both of these being faults).

Thanks John...given me a good understanding of the progression of lights...will note what's happening when I pick it up. Obviously very weird as it doesn't match anything known and I don't believe there's something different about this bike...just something I haven't found yet or something I'm not being told. Will be an interesting reveal when I sort it. Will post...will at least be a new bit of information hey!
post #16 of 36 Old Feb 25th, 2018, 4:26 pm

Quote:
G'day Wazza

I think it probably needs the fluid in the ABS servo reservoir area topping up. It's about 13 months since the fluids were changed. I'm not positive that this "fluid change" done included bleeding the brakes...the owner wouldn't know for sure either...it was done in Melbourne before he bought the bike online...might not have been looked at for a couple of years...just unknown really.

Possibly the level might have been approaching a point of setting off the alarm so when the power was cut to the ECU and then powered up with the new battery the system recognised the level was low and has spat the dummy. Maybe, maybe not. Anyway I'm not too worried about it. If the whole ABS stops working I'll still have brakes.

Having ridden 2 Indian Chiefs, 3 GoldWings and 15 other bikes over the last 43yrs...none of which had ABS I think I'll cope. He's knocking another $600 off the price for what might cost nothing to fix so at $4200 I think it's a few pigs I've killed...it'll do me, especially if you check out Redbook value etc. Got my cassette to Smartphone adaptor ready...couple of gigs of highway music up the M1...I hear the road a'calling.

I'll update my profile with some pics etc when it's all said and done..and obviously post here what the outcome was. We'll get together...perhaps cruise the Brisbane Valley on a lazy Sunday hey? Catch ya later mate.
That's one hell of a first ride if you end up buying it. Price sounds good and even if you need to spend a bit on it you still have a great bike at a decent price. I paid $7,000 for my 05 LT and when I went to get it insured they said the lowest price they had one listed for was $16,000.
Where on the Sunny coast are you. I have friends up in the Montville area.
post #17 of 36 Old Feb 26th, 2018, 1:34 am Thread Starter

At Yandina...going to talk to Shannons...will be interesting to see what they say
post #18 of 36 Old Feb 26th, 2018, 2:04 am

Quote:
At Yandina...going to talk to Shannons...will be interesting to see what they say
Also have a chat to Swann Insurance, they did a pretty good deal for me and was about a third of what Suncorp quoted me.
post #19 of 36 Old Feb 26th, 2018, 7:49 am

Garage

Quote:
New England insurance is about the cheapest I have found tell em your Ulysses rider only ride on weekends

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #20 of 36 Old Feb 28th, 2018, 4:37 am Thread Starter

Hey, nobody has mentioned that even a new battery installed could cause this to happen if it had been sitting on the shelf long enough for the voltage to drop.

Most manufacturers recommend a charge to be done on the new battery before it's installed but most people probably just whack the battery in and when it fires up better than their old boat anchor they believe their problems are solved. A load test, of course, is the way to go but that doesn't happen.

Low fluid level in the servo supply or old fluid are the other possible causes....will be interesting to see what I find at the end of the 1100kms to home. Intend checking the fluid but will pull the battery and get it fully charged before doing anything else.

We can then establish the important requirement to charge a new battery before installing in such a sensitive motorcycle.
Voyager likes this.
post #21 of 36 Old Feb 28th, 2018, 7:59 am

Quote:
Hey, nobody has mentioned that even a new battery installed could cause this to happen if it had been sitting on the shelf long enough for the voltage to drop.

Most manufacturers recommend a charge to be done on the new battery before it's installed but most people probably just whack the battery in and when it fires up better than their old boat anchor they believe their problems are solved. A load test, of course, is the way to go but that doesn't happen.

Low fluid level in the servo supply or old fluid are the other possible causes....will be interesting to see what I find at the end of the 1100kms to home. Intend checking the fluid but will pull the battery and get it fully charged before doing anything else.

We can then establish the important requirement to charge a new battery before installing in such a sensitive motorcycle.
True... this is a very good point and iABS modulator are power hungry.

HOWEVER, in your case, my understanding of your post(s) was that the battery was good enough to start the engine without any issues. In such case, the weak battery theory is a very low probability.

BY THE WAY, on any iABS equipped models, it is a very good practice to wait 5 seconds before hitting the starter button (following ignition ON cycle). This habit will let the iABS do its internal check when current / voltage available is higher. Starting engine too quickly can create an issue when the internal self-check is being run at same time as starter is pulling a lot of current.

iABS modulator Self-check is finished when both of these happen (about 5 sec):
1) ABS warning goes from fast flashing to slow flashing AND....
2) GENERAL warning goes OFF

DO NOT touch any brake (lever / pedal) during the internal iABS self-check. If you are parked in an incline, put transmission in 1st gear so that compression can hold bike steady BEFORE you turn ignition ON. Only after iABS self-check is finished can you hold the brakes and go out to neutral.
This info is written in Owner's manual
Voyager likes this.

John (Montreal, CANADA)
post #22 of 36 Old Feb 28th, 2018, 10:05 am Thread Starter

Totally agree with what you say.....but can't escape the glaring coincidence....before battery change all ok, after battery change problem exists.

This in itself may not be the problem, just the facilitator to a problem. My research has shown others having a similar situation with a battery that started the bike yet caused the same error message. Their resolution was via a new battery. I will have a better insight come Sunday.
post #23 of 36 Old Mar 3rd, 2018, 9:03 pm Thread Starter

Ok....so got it home. The fault lights is the wig-wag...not one light...misunderstanding big time

After 1100kms straight thru I have a hammering noise coming from under the tank when touching the front or rear brakes. I think that the fluid change done recently was only the 2 typical reservoirs ...pretty sure that the servo unit wasn't touched. Wouldn't surprise if it hasn't been done for numerous years. There are no fluid leaks anywhere on the bike. Will probably end up at the stealers...number of reasons I'm unable to attack this.

I believe the hammering is probably really old fluid that is incapable of reaching the hydraulic pressure required in the servo so the mechanism is endlessly trying to do it's thing but never able to achieve. Does this sound right?

It may be some time before this will be addressed ....I'm thinking that apart from an annoying noise coming from the unit the bike should be ok to ride. Is this the case?

Appreciate your comments
post #24 of 36 Old Mar 4th, 2018, 7:26 am

Quote:
Ok....so got it home. The fault lights is the wig-wag...not one light...misunderstanding big time

After 1100kms straight thru I have a hammering noise coming from under the tank when touching the front or rear brakes. I think that the fluid change done recently was only the 2 typical reservoirs ...pretty sure that the servo unit wasn't touched. Wouldn't surprise if it hasn't been done for numerous years. There are no fluid leaks anywhere on the bike. Will probably end up at the stealers...number of reasons I'm unable to attack this.

I believe the hammering is probably really old fluid that is incapable of reaching the hydraulic pressure required in the servo so the mechanism is endlessly trying to do it's thing but never able to achieve. Does this sound right?

It may be some time before this will be addressed ....I'm thinking that apart from an annoying noise coming from the unit the bike should be ok to ride. Is this the case?

Appreciate your comments
The so-called "wig-wag" were both RED warnings alternate ON-OFF at same rate, is NOT the same "look-and-feel" on iABS and ABS2.
Are you sure it is NOT an ABS2 2001 model ?

Check front brake calipers for makrings: BREMBO = ABS2 models
AND ... Confirm under seat, left side, what modulator you see. As shown in attached photo, ABS2 modulator have 2 bleed nipples on TOP and metal brake hoses on top. The iABS version of 2001-2004 are not like this (the top is flat metal and somewhat square).

(A) If indeed it is ABS2, then it is a whole different / simpler story than what was discussed earlier in this thread:
- no double reservoir under seat on right side (just a single round reservoir)
- diagnostic routine flashing warnings (after ignition ON) is different
- there is no fluid level monitoring
- any faults (low battery or any other) requires a manual fault reset EVEN after cause of fault is fixed (it stays in memory of ABS modulator until erased)

(B) on the other hand, if it is iABS, then you might just have:
- low fluid in either section of the 2 sections reservoir,
- a need for a good complete bleed job.

P.S. 1:
if it is iABS, you should NOT ignore any fault, NIiETHER should you ride very fast or very far: loosing the Servos power can happen with many of faults and it is not a very funny or safe experience (residual braking is about 10 to 20% of the normal brake power).

P.S. 2:
Does the wig-wag stay on the same from the moment you have ignition ON until the end of the ride ??

P.S. 3: if you still have the black rubber brake hoses all aound ..AND.. you have no proof that these were change withing last 8 years, then the bike is NOT safe to ride (UNTIL REPLACED). There has been many sudden failure of these original factory hose when they reach 8 to 12 years of age.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	K1200LT (1999-2001) ABS2_Left-Side-Engine-temp-Sensor-connector.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	429.7 KB
ID:	140273   Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200LT (2001-2004) IABS Home-made_Bleed-Tools_1b (from JIM_MCG).jpg
Views:	48
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	140281  

John (Montreal, CANADA)

Last edited by sailor; Mar 4th, 2018 at 7:55 am.
post #25 of 36 Old Mar 5th, 2018, 4:43 am Thread Starter

So I've attached some pics. Small amount of fluid obviously...only 4.5mls out of the rear chamber....bit sick looking colour wise...no sign of leakage so I reckon it's been in there for a looooong time.

Bought a manual vacuum bleeder, just need to get a 7mm open/ring spanner and another thin one so I can bend it to access the recessed bleeder valve. I believe I'm on the right course here?

I'm thinking I just need to bleed the lowest first and work my way up...correct? Can I do all the left side and then do the right...meaning does the unit have segregated internal chambers or does it all work together....meaning I need to do bottom left then bottom right then mid right, mid left etc etc?

When I have ignition on, motor not running...press either front or rear brake lever/pedal there is a very loud whine coming from the servo...I expect some servo whine..am aware that this is a characteristic..but a very loud noise...could this be failing internal motor? I believe there is no repair for this?

Thanks again for your help
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0046.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	140329   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0047.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	140353   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0045.1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	1,013.4 KB
ID:	140361  

Last edited by Jokar99; Mar 5th, 2018 at 6:52 am. Reason: Omitted info
post #26 of 36 Old Mar 5th, 2018, 7:40 am

Garage

the whine is quite loud with the motor off, as suggested order a speiglar brake hose replacement kit from the states, if you have original hoses, once one goes they will all fail, one at a time, you will get the whole lot for the price of the single front hose from bmw

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #27 of 36 Old Mar 5th, 2018, 7:53 am Thread Starter

Thanks Linton

Are you suggesting that the original lines are providing less resistance (because they're worn out basically) to the hydraulic pressure pushing down them hence the pump has to work harder continually to provide fluid to the calipers?

Of course when they're worn out enough they'll burst hey...seems to make sense.

Is this symptomatic of the bursting lines scenario as documented previously by those that this has happened to on this forum. I've read about a few people that have had burst lines and the followup but not what was going on leading up to them giving way. Similar to my story?

Thanks mate
post #28 of 36 Old Mar 5th, 2018, 8:31 am

Garage

yes...there is no early warning when the hoses fail, they fail from the inside out, when mine went the bike was stuck in the drive way and the front brakes were locked on, then I noticed the fluid leak, I had a new non genuine one made up cost me a fortune and then another burst, I have replaced them with a speiglar kit and the difference in the applied pressure was instantly noticeable the bike pulled up much faster with less pressure, it may not be your problem but if you still have the original black rubber hoses then replace them
sailor and Voyager like this.

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #29 of 36 Old Mar 5th, 2018, 2:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
The so-called "wig-wag" were both RED warnings alternate ON-OFF at same rate, is NOT the same "look-and-feel" on iABS and ABS2.
Are you sure it is NOT an ABS2 2001 model ?

Check front brake calipers for makrings: BREMBO = ABS2 models
AND ... Confirm under seat, left side, what modulator you see. As shown in attached photo, ABS2 modulator have 2 bleed nipples on TOP and metal brake hoses on top. The iABS version of 2001-2004 are not like this (the top is flat metal and somewhat square).

(A) If indeed it is ABS2, then it is a whole different / simpler story than what was discussed earlier in this thread:
- no double reservoir under seat on right side (just a single round reservoir)
- diagnostic routine flashing warnings (after ignition ON) is different
- there is no fluid level monitoring
- any faults (low battery or any other) requires a manual fault reset EVEN after cause of fault is fixed (it stays in memory of ABS modulator until erased)

(B) on the other hand, if it is iABS, then you might just have:
- low fluid in either section of the 2 sections reservoir,
- a need for a good complete bleed job.

P.S. 1:
if it is iABS, you should NOT ignore any fault, NIiETHER should you ride very fast or very far: loosing the Servos power can happen with many of faults and it is not a very funny or safe experience (residual braking is about 10 to 20% of the normal brake power).

P.S. 2:
Does the wig-wag stay on the same from the moment you have ignition ON until the end of the ride ??

P.S. 3: if you still have the black rubber brake hoses all aound ..AND.. you have no proof that these were change withing last 8 years, then the bike is NOT safe to ride (UNTIL REPLACED). There has been many sudden failure of these original factory hose when they reach 8 to 12 years of age.
Looking at the bleeding pic....do I need to bleed just the top as shown or do all the valves in ascending order?
post #30 of 36 Old Mar 5th, 2018, 3:42 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Here is the sequence for bleeding the iABS (this is the same for the LT even though the picture states RS. Fronts F1 then F2 then F3 then F1 again until all bubbles are gone. Then repeat for the rear.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	K1200RS_IABS_Bleeding-points-ports.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	140393  
Patric likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #31 of 36 Old Mar 8th, 2018, 4:51 am Thread Starter

Ok. Have done a complete flush of the total braking system...some of the crap that came out resembled that gross looking yellow coloured thick puss that oozes out of a badly infected body part. Lots of bubbles with that along the way too. Now has beautiful aqua blue Bendix Dot 4 churning thru it.....happy as a big pig in mud!!

Lots of bleeding nipples...so to speak...ignition on....did it's diagnostics....and....only one light flashing!!(Fault light out).

Couldn't ride it...weather is crap atm...cyclones approaching they reckon so wind and rain abounds. I believe as soon as the "ride away" is achieved there will be no lights showing.

The cause of this problem...low fluid levels, extremely old fluid and air in the system.

After pulling the handlebar cover I have discovered the top line has been changed to stainless...all other lines look original....sound familiar Linton? Ordering a complete new set from Motomummy...so get another go at all that bleeding in a few weeks time.

Thanks to all that provided info..appreciate it
cws likes this.
post #32 of 36 Old Mar 8th, 2018, 9:26 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Ok. Have done a complete flush of the total braking system...some of the crap that came out resembled that gross looking yellow coloured thick puss that oozes out of a badly infected body part. Lots of bubbles with that along the way too. Now has beautiful aqua blue Bendix Dot 4 churning thru it.....happy as a big pig in mud!!

Lots of bleeding nipples...so to speak...ignition on....did it's diagnostics....and....only one light flashing!!(Fault light out).

Couldn't ride it...weather is crap atm...cyclones approaching they reckon so wind and rain abounds. I believe as soon as the "ride away" is achieved there will be no lights showing.

The cause of this problem...low fluid levels, extremely old fluid and air in the system.

After pulling the handlebar cover I have discovered the top line has been changed to stainless...all other lines look original....sound familiar Linton? Ordering a complete new set from Motomummy...so get another go at all that bleeding in a few weeks time.

Thanks to all that provided info..appreciate it
Probably not a bad idea to do another flush soon as that may flush out more crud. When your new hoses are in hand, you may want to make some hard stops at slow speed on a dirt road to exercise the abs. This may also shake some more crud loose before you change the hoses.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 36 Old Mar 8th, 2018, 9:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Probably not a bad idea to do another flush soon as that may flush out more crud. When your new hoses are in hand, you may want to make some hard stops at slow speed on a dirt road to exercise the abs. This may also shake some more crud loose before you change the hoses.
You forgot the disclaimer that when exercising the front ABS on a dirt road, you must exercise great caution to keep the bike straight and upright or she will take a nap on you and injury is at your own risk.

Rear is not so bad.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #34 of 36 Old Mar 8th, 2018, 9:49 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
You forgot the disclaimer that when exercising the front ABS on a dirt road, you must exercise great caution to keep the bike straight and upright or she will take a nap on you and injury is at your own risk.

Rear is not so bad.
I did say slow speed. I do assume that LT riders have above average intelligence and common sense ... then again given all the issues that afflict the LT, we probably all should be suspect from a mental health perspective.

My excuse is that I didn't find this forum until after buying my LT new in 2007. So, I am claiming ignorance rather than insanity as my defense. :

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #35 of 36 Old Mar 8th, 2018, 10:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I did say slow speed. I do assume that LT riders have above average intelligence and common sense ... then again given all the issues that afflict the LT, we probably all should be suspect from a mental health perspective.

My excuse is that I didn't find this forum until after buying my LT new in 2007. So, I am claiming ignorance rather than insanity as my defense. :
I suffer from the same affliction of not finding the forum until AFTER but I am making the best of it and have finally fixed something that actually broke instead of just fixing everything that can before it does. That probably does fall under some type of mental illness. It is not required but sometimes helps.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #36 of 36 Old Mar 9th, 2018, 7:07 am Thread Starter

Did ride away...all lights out.....fixed
Axle and SpinDog like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in