grinding noise during acceleration - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 9:29 am Thread Starter

Garage
grinding noise during acceleration

I could use some help diagnosing this noise I'm hearing on my 2000 LT ...

I've been aware of a grinding sort of noise for quite some time. I thought, at first, it was my front bearings. I replaced those, but it didn't fix it. I found a crack in my front fender, which was certainly making a noise. I fixed that, but there was a part of the noise that was still there. I've replaced the final drive, and it routinely has clean looking gear oil, so I'm pretty convinced the noise is not coming from there. I was stuck in traffic this morning, and decided to pay close attention to the noise. I can only hear it clearly at slow speeds. From a stop, as I let the clutch out, I hear the noise start to engage. It continues as long as I am accelerating. It stops if I pull the clutch or decelerate. I also hear it in second gear if I'm going slow. I'm still not sure if the grinding noise is relative to the engine RPM or the speed. I'm leaning toward RPM, but I'm not 100% sure.

I've had the LT for about 4 years and I've never changed either the gearbox or clutch oil. I'm certain that its time.

I should also mention that reverse does not want to work when it is cold out. I don't know if that is related.

-Steve
Titusville, FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 9:58 am

Re: grinding noise during acceleration

Steve, I haven't heard this sound myself yet but there is a possibility that what you are describing is the input shaft bearing for the transmission going out. Look for unusual stuff on the trans drain plug magnet.
Voyager, beech and anarchosteff like this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 54 Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 10:07 am
Lifetime Supporter

Hi, Change the gear box oil, see what comes out. The second time I had a gear box go bad , it made a squealing sound when taking off from a stop. The first time , it went from slipping to totally failing in a few miles. Just before it stopped going forward it got real grinding sounding .
anarchosteff likes this.

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 54 Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 10:30 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Early signs of the transmission bearing is a whine that is noticeable under both acceleration and deceleration in second gear. It goes away when you are not under a load. That was a new sound for me and I caught the bearing in the very early stages. There was a significant amount of metal on the transmission drain pug magnet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100K mile fuzz1.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	139522  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Last edited by jzeiler; Feb 22nd, 2018 at 10:35 am.
post #5 of 54 Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 1:04 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchosteff View Post
I've had the LT for about 4 years and I've never changed either the gearbox or clutch oil. I'm certain that its time.

I should also mention that reverse does not want to work when it is cold out. I don't know if that is related.

-Steve
Titusville, FL
What kind of clutch oil were you planning on using ?.
CharlieVT, Voyager, kbob12 and 1 others like this.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #6 of 54 Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 1:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
I wondered who would jump in there....

Hey Dave, buddy of mine before he retired at Christmas did the heads for the engine Dillon rammed his way to a Dale Earnhardt Sr type victory Sunday.... Best part I called it before it happened before the restart. I knew he would ram someone........blind groundhogs only get a shot at so many lucky nuts..
post #7 of 54 Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 3:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
I think clutch and blinker fluids are interchangeable. I did mine several years ago and everything is as it should be.
kbob12 likes this.
post #8 of 54 Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 3:42 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt View Post
I think clutch and blinker fluids are interchangeable. I did mine several years ago and everything is as it should be.
Sure, I'll admit I don't know crap about working on clutches yet. So, explain this ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_73.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	139530  
Patric likes this.
post #9 of 54 Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 4:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hi, I took the grub screw out and put a brake bleeder screw in . It was easier to change the clutch ( DOT 4 ) fluid with. I also, put a nice clean quarter it the master cylinder over the return hole when I am bleeding the system to help keep the back flow from getting on everything. The brake fluid does not get along with the windshild too good

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
AMA Charter Lifemember

post #10 of 54 Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 4:43 pm

Quote:
Sure, I'll admit I don't know crap about working on clutches yet. So, explain this ...
That is called a vent screw attachment and I believe your LT year has one on the right front brake caliper and also on the clutch bleed line that hangs out on the right side of the bike under the Tupperware. Later modles did not have one on the front caliper. There is as already mentioned, a grub screw/cap in the top that must be removed to uncover the check ball. A standard bleed screw is used to depress the check ball and release fluid while bleeding so you will need one of those to bleed the clutch and also the front right brake caliper as long as that one has not been removed. The vent screw ( not the grub screw/cap) attachment on the caliper is in with loctite so requires heat to be removed without damaging the caliper but can be removed and replaced with a standard bleed screw if desired. Not sure if that is the case for the clutch line as i have never removed one there to see if it would accept a bleed screw on the end of the line without it and seal properly so I won't say that you can do that with no personal experience. I left well enough alone and bought the spare bleed screw to do the service.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #11 of 54 Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 8:10 pm
cws

Garage

Quote:
Think of that as much the same as the brake lines.... its the hydraulic fluid for the activation part of the system, rather than the part (brake or clutch) which are dry and does the actual work.... as opposed to engine or gearbox that is filled with oil.
kbob12 likes this.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #12 of 54 Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 11:50 pm

Garage

your description sort of sounds like an input shaft bearing failure.... Gearbox

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #13 of 54 Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 12:59 am

These guys are taking advantage of you for a bit of fun: wink: . Buy a Clymers manual for your bike and it will have instructions for all your needs:
https://www.amazon.com/Clymer-K1200R...+2000++k1200gt
You have been remiss not changing your transmission lube oil anually, and the brakes and clutch hydraulic fluid need to be changed every two years. They use DOT4 as said on clutch and brake reservoir covers.
The transmission uses a GL-5 spec 75W90 gear oil. How to do the jobs can be found in the Clymers book or doing a search for threads on it, on the forum. The book has pictures. Probably YouTube also.
Sounds like your transmission is going south. Not an easy job to deal with. And if it is true, best option is a low miles unit used. Although there are folks who can install fresh bearings for you in the transmission probably at about the same cost. Your 2000GT is not a valuable motorcycle and this problem might be the end of the show unless you enjoy the work and expense. Here is how to get the transmission out of the bike, while it is out change the 19x4mm O-ring in this story and evaluate your clutch drive disk:
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=38451
anarchosteff likes this.

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #14 of 54 Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 8:43 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
If your noise is the input shaft bearing, then you are about to learn much more about your LT.

Saddleman was just having a little fun with you. It is mainly a terminology issue. Generally, hydraulic systems use "fluid" as their main purpose is force transfer rather than lubrication, although lubrication is provided by most hydraulic fluids. Oils are primarily for lubrication.

A fine point to be sure, but hydraulic systems like brakes, some clutch actuation systems, etc., use fluid as compared to engines and gear boxes where oil is used since its primary purpose is lubrication.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #15 of 54 Old Feb 24th, 2018, 5:05 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Here's my gearbox drain plug. I'm going to assume this is not a good sign. It was full up. No chunks of anything, but certainly a lot of metal.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180224_132605_Burst01.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	139602  

Last edited by anarchosteff; Feb 25th, 2018 at 10:40 am.
post #16 of 54 Old Feb 24th, 2018, 5:52 pm

No bueno.

Beech

post #17 of 54 Old Feb 24th, 2018, 9:12 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Looks a lot like mine did when the front bearing started to go. Not a hard job (other than getting the gearbox out) to fix. Parts are about $60 for the bearing and seal.
Patric likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #18 of 54 Old Feb 25th, 2018, 7:55 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Looks a lot like mine did when the front bearing started to go. Not a hard job (other than getting the gearbox out) to fix. Parts are about $60 for the bearing and seal.
Yeah, I've watched a few of Kirk Jonson's and Dan Sullivan's videos on Youtube on this and decided to take a stab at it. I too noticed the parts were not all that expensive. I'm still debating whether or not to go a bit further and do the clutch plate while I'm there. That's a bit more expensive but given the amount of work to get there, it would almost seem silly not to ... or am I mistaken on that?

I'm hoping I'll have the time later today to at least start the process of getting the transmission out. I won't be able to order the parts until WED.

This should be an interesting fix. I've never done a transmission before.
Patric and kbob12 like this.
post #19 of 54 Old Feb 25th, 2018, 9:04 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Yeah, I've watched a few of Kirk Jonson's and Dan Sullivan's videos on Youtube on this and decided to take a stab at it. I too noticed the parts were not all that expensive. I'm still debating whether or not to go a bit further and do the clutch plate while I'm there. That's a bit more expensive but given the amount of work to get there, it would almost seem silly not to ... or am I mistaken on that?

I'm hoping I'll have the time later today to at least start the process of getting the transmission out. I won't be able to order the parts until WED.

This should be an interesting fix. I've never done a transmission before.
How many miles on your LT?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #20 of 54 Old Feb 25th, 2018, 9:15 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
How many miles on your LT?
I went for a couple years with the speedometer crown ring flopping around inside my final drive, so I'm estimating I currently have about 90K miles on it.
post #21 of 54 Old Feb 25th, 2018, 2:06 pm

The leaky 19x4mm Oring is not based on miles. You are so deep into it you should inspect your clutch disk and its adjoining pressure plates, change out the O-ring for sure, I'd pass on the main seal but then you are there, it is a decision. Probably need new crankcase vent hose also.
The O-ring is a no brainer.
anarchosteff likes this.

Beech

post #22 of 54 Old Feb 25th, 2018, 3:53 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You may want to replace the main seal as well since the early bikes had the metal cased one that is glued in as opposed to the newer rubber body seals. Given 90 K It might be worth your while to put in a new disc, but be aware the flywheel (clutch cover) and pressure plates are likely to have heat checking and cracks so plan for all three to be replaced. Hermy's BMW in PA has a coupon "deal" until the end of February for 20% off parts. I just ordered $811 worth for $648.
anarchosteff likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #23 of 54 Old Feb 25th, 2018, 5:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I went for a couple years with the speedometer crown ring flopping around inside my final drive, so I'm estimating I currently have about 90K miles on it.
With the age and mileage, I would be inclined to pull the clutch and replace the o-ring and seal and inspect the other parts and then decide what hardware to replace.
anarchosteff likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #24 of 54 Old Feb 25th, 2018, 7:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hi, the O ring is cheep, but it can be the root problem of a clutch going out. My friend had the O ring go bad last year in hie early K1200LT , & it took the clutch out. I put a clutch in a friends '87 K1100LT last fall, & it went bad because of a the clutch got oiled..

The O ring get hard & cracks. Then motor oil gets on the clutch
anarchosteff likes this.

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
AMA Charter Lifemember

post #25 of 54 Old Feb 27th, 2018, 6:20 pm Thread Starter

Garage

I'm hoping you guys can offer me some guidance here. This is my "shopping list" thus far, based on my baseline expectations, from bmestore.com:

Code:
rear main shaft seal 50x80x10          $32

clutch o-ring                           $2
clutch compression ring                 $7
clutch hex nut                         $14

clutch washers X6                      $12
clusth bolts X6                        $24

trans input shaft seal 20x32x8         $24
trans input shaft bearing 20x47x14     $35

spur gear bearing bolt o-ring 6X1,2 X3  $9

shaft seal 17X28X7                     $22
shaft seal 10X18X6                     $17
shaft seal 14X22X5                     $20

trans output shaft seal 25x40x6        $24
-------------------------------------------
                                      $242
1) Does anyone know of a cheaper kit that includes the clutch o-ring, compression ring, and hex nut? Kirk mentioned one in a video.
2) $36 for (6) bolts and washers? ugh Is it really necessary to replace these?
3) Are there less expensive options for these seals?
4) Can someone identify these seals? 17X28X7, 10X18X6, and 14X22X5 ... the part catalog is not clear. Are one of those the seal for the clutch rod behind the clutch slave cylinder? I don't see that in a diagram anywhere.
5) Should I opt for a 25X40X7 output shaft seal like this one?

I will probably drill the weep hole for the clutch slave cylinder while I am there.

If the clutch disk looks fouled by oil, or less than 5mm, I'll probably order one from Germany, off eBay, like this one.

-Steve
Titusville, FL
post #26 of 54 Old Feb 27th, 2018, 6:47 pm

Garage

1.no 2 yes 3 maybe 4 dunno 5 no 6 buy all your parts from some one like beemer boneyard or genuine do not use the ebay clutch disc, or you may have to pull it all out again.You could take the chance but it may be wise to change the slave cyl.
Max bmw parts fische

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #27 of 54 Old Feb 27th, 2018, 8:04 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Beemerboneyard has the Sibienrock "better than stock" disc for less than stock price. They offer a 10% off for MOA member. Do not use the BMW o-ring - order a Viton 19 x 4 o-ring from several sources. I would replace the input seal by the bearing but I would leave the rest alone unless they are leaking. Remove the three gears for reverse but you can leave the shaft in there. Don't worry about the three spur gear shaft o-rings they seldom need replacement. You have one more day to order from Hermy's for the 20% off.
anarchosteff and kbob12 like this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #28 of 54 Old Feb 27th, 2018, 9:13 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Sadly, it looks like the clutch plates are out-of-stock https://www.beemerboneyard.com/2123455bp.html

My plan thus far is to order this in the morning:

Code:
bmwestore.com
11 11 7 666 186 rear main shaft seal 50x80x10           $42
11 21 1 460 696 clutch compression ring                  $7
11 21 1 460 673 clutch hex nut                          $14
21 21 1 242 377 clutch washers X6                       $12
21 21 1 454 417 clutch bolts X6                         $24
23 12 7 705 086 trans input shaft seal 20x32x8          $24
23 12 2 330 176 trans input shaft bearing 20x47x14      $35
------------------------------------------------------------
                                                       $158
                                                       ($32) 20% off
                                                       $126

ebay.com
viton o-ring 19mm x 4mm                                  $3
                                                         $3

I'm having a heck-of-a-time trying to source a clutch plate for less than $250 though.
post #29 of 54 Old Feb 27th, 2018, 9:19 pm

Quote:
Sadly, it looks like the clutch plates are out-of-stock https://www.beemerboneyard.com/2123455bp.html

My plan thus far is to order this in the morning:

Code:
bmwestore.com
11 11 7 666 186 rear main shaft seal 50x80x10           $42
11 21 1 460 696 clutch compression ring                  $7
11 21 1 460 673 clutch hex nut                          $14
21 21 1 242 377 clutch washers X6                       $12
21 21 1 454 417 clutch bolts X6                         $24
23 12 7 705 086 trans input shaft seal 20x32x8          $24
23 12 2 330 176 trans input shaft bearing 20x47x14      $35
                                                       $158
                                                       ($32) 20% off
                                                       $126

ebay.com
viton o-ring 19mm x 4mm                                  $3
                                                         $3

I'm having a heck-of-a-time trying to source a clutch plate for less than $250 though.
Steve, PM me your address and I will send you the Viton 19X4 O-ring no charge. The least I could do.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #30 of 54 Old Feb 27th, 2018, 9:37 pm

Two comments, send me your address and I'll send you a free Viton 19x4 O-ring. Much better than the buna-N. Go carefully on the aftermarket clutch disk. Nothing wrong with the OEM and it fits no problem. (thickness). snipesb(at)cnw.com
My tools for the job are out on loan, sorry. beech
Buy a pair of these click clamp release and secure pliers. You will be glad you did. Hose and intake tube clamps.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
anarchosteff likes this.

Beech

post #31 of 54 Old Feb 28th, 2018, 7:12 am Thread Starter

Garage

This was the only place I could find the clutch plate Clutch Disk oil-resistant (#2122456) K1200 LT 2122456 | BMW Wunderlich America

another $18 for shipping

After all this, plus the cost of gas to cage it in the Expedition to the office, I reckon we'll be eating Ramen noodles for the next couple weeks. :P

I'll post some pics once I get to the bearing.
post #32 of 54 Old Feb 28th, 2018, 8:20 am

Quote:
This was the only place I could find the clutch plate Clutch Disk oil-resistant (#2122456) K1200 LT 2122456 | BMW Wunderlich America

another $18 for shipping

After all this, plus the cost of gas to cage it in the Expedition to the office, I reckon we'll be eating Ramen noodles for the next couple weeks. :P

I'll post some pics once I get to the bearing.
In my mind, these "so-called" Oil-Resistant clutch plate have no added value - at least not for a road bike like a K1200LT. And they are at least $100 too much.

LET ME EXPLAIN:
Originally, it was mainly designed (and sold ) to R1200GS type of riders doing very long "around the world" trip. If you get oil into the clutch dry area , the trip has to be continued until you can reach a country / city where the job can be done. At least the clutch would not slip and you could continue the trip for days or weeks.

It is irrelevant wether you ride a big K1200LT or a R1150/R1200GS, you will need to eventually stop the cause of the oil leak. If causes a mess under engine, and in some case as I have seen on mine, some dops of oil will fly into rear wheel tire at highway speed. No oil-resistant clutch plate will save you from eventually "sooner-or-later" do the clutch job again in case of seal / o-ring leak (or the slave cylinder leak).

If I had to do this job one more time (for me or a friend) I would just buy the "better designed" basic clutch plate from SieBenrock. Too bad that BeemerBoneYard currently out of stock on these:
https://www.beemerboneyard.com/2123455bp.html
Patric and Voyager like this.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #33 of 54 Old Feb 28th, 2018, 10:48 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
In my mind, these "so-called" Oil-Resistant clutch plate have no added value - at least not for a road bike like a K1200LT. And they are at least $100 too much.
I would just buy the "better designed" basic clutch plate from SieBenrock. Too bad that BeemerBoneYard currently out of stock on these:
https://www.beemerboneyard.com/2123455bp.html
Well, I'll just have to keep telling myself the $150 "added value" was that I couldn't find anybody that had them in stock ... otherwise I might just start crying that I burned my drinking money.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.
post #34 of 54 Old Feb 28th, 2018, 12:36 pm

Quote:
Well, I'll just have to keep telling myself the $150 "added value" was that I couldn't find anybody that had them in stock ... otherwise I might just start crying that I burned my drinking money.
Other than many BMW dealers (on-site OR on-line) AND BeemerBoneyard, there is a good supplier based in UK called MOTO-BINS. They have been in business for a long time selling BMW specific parts and are well known in UK and Europe. I have ordered from them 3 times - they are reliable, have very good prices and ship fairly quickly at a very acceptable price to North-America (in my case CANADA). Often the shipping charge were equivalent or even lower than ordering from USA (for me anyway).

They always had good prices, but even more so since the UK pound has lost some value. It varied from 1.7 in 2014 to 1.2 in 2017. Now sitting at approx 1.4 compare to $US$.

Currently on MOTO-BINS web site, they have these 4 choices. Because the last 2 choices are unknown to me, I would choose item 1 or 2. I have never seen any feedback from item 3 below and surely it is not Siebenrock based on picture:
1) The original BMW friction plate (21 21 7 670 455): at 78.5 UK pound (roughly $US$ 110)

2) a 3rd party "heat resistant" friction plate - based on picture, it looks like Siebenrock: at 75 UK pound (roughly $US$ 105)

3) a 3rd party oil-resistant plate (I have never seen this one... kevlar??): at 85 UK pound (roughly $US$ 119)

4) a "cheap" 3rd party regular friction plate: at 44 UK pound (roughly $US$ 62)

To avoid searching, enter with this link for all K1200 "brick-engine" parts they sell:
https://www.motobins.co.uk/bmw-parts...ikeref=K1200RS

THEN select CLUTCH,
THEN select all 4 items from the 2nd row column on right to see all Clutch friction Plate available.
DISREGUARD the VAT tax numbers as the price charges to mail-order customer outside UK is the value "ex VAT"

WHEN you get to the end (shipping cart), pay attention to shipping COUNTRY and the choices of shipping offered:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MOTO-BINS_Shipping-Cart (USA).jpg
Views:	36
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	140114  
anarchosteff likes this.

John (Montreal, CANADA)
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Last edited by sailor; Feb 28th, 2018 at 1:42 pm.
post #35 of 54 Old Feb 28th, 2018, 4:19 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle View Post
do not use the ebay clutch disc, or you may have to pull it all out again.
THIS - I used an "aftermarket" clutch plate - went in OK however was too thick and was unable to disengage the clutch (fine if you never want to stop ) - had to pull the whole thing apart again and use an actual BMW friction plate - worked fine after that....

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush
post #36 of 54 Old Feb 28th, 2018, 5:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
THIS - I used an "aftermarket" clutch plate - went in OK however was too thick and was unable to disengage the clutch (fine if you never want to stop ) - had to pull the whole thing apart again and use an actual BMW friction plate - worked fine after that....
For the good of the community, could you please specify the vendor name ..OR.. the EBAY page so we can all avoid these guys ;-)

There has been a few of these "made in China" cheap clutch friction plate on EBAY. In most cases, thickness was too high (as much as 6.5 mm), Max / new is 6.0 mm but system will accept up to 6.1 mm without issue.
anarchosteff likes this.

John (Montreal, CANADA)
post #37 of 54 Old Mar 1st, 2018, 8:47 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
There has been a few of these "made in China" cheap clutch friction plate on EBAY. In most cases, thickness was too high (as much as 6.5 mm), Max / new is 6.0 mm but system will accept up to 6.1 mm without issue.
That is the sort of thing I'd usually do ... going with the lowest cost option I could find and then feeling the pain later. I'm feeling a bit better about going with a known quantity. Only having to do this job once every 10 years or so is worth the extra $150 I paid I think.
SpinDog likes this.
post #38 of 54 Old Mar 1st, 2018, 3:08 pm

Garage

Quote:
For the good of the community, could you please specify the vendor name ..OR.. the EBAY page so we can all avoid these guys ;-)

Purchased in good faith from a member of this community a few years back so not sure of the source. Here's the thread I started.

"Generic" measured at 6.5mm, new BMW replacement I installed was at ~5.9mm. Made all the difference .

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush
post #39 of 54 Old Mar 1st, 2018, 3:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
Purchased in good faith from a member of this community a few years back so not sure of the source. Here's the thread I started.

"Generic" measured at 6.5mm, new BMW replacement I installed was at ~5.9mm. Made all the difference .
Gino,

I just re-read the original exchange / post from your MARS-2017 clutch rebuilt.
Thanks for the reminder about where the plate came from. I had completely forgotten about your previous post 1 year ago...

P.S.:
By the way, 2 hours ago I just did an exhaustive search on EBAY to see if I could find any of these cheap "made-in-China" clutch friction plate. I could not find anything below $90 (new) ..AND.. nothing from China either, So I have to assume these bad guys have gone out of business ... OR EBAY kick them out because of too many complains ;-)
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

John (Montreal, CANADA)

Last edited by sailor; Mar 1st, 2018 at 4:58 pm.
post #40 of 54 Old Mar 2nd, 2018, 8:09 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
P.S.:
By the way, 2 hours ago I just did an exhaustive search on EBAY to see if I could find any of these cheap "made-in-China" clutch friction plate. I could not find anything below $90 (new) ..AND.. nothing from China either, So I have to assume these bad guys have gone out of business ... OR EBAY kick them out because of too many complains ;-)
This? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Clutch-Disc....c100022.m2048
post #41 of 54 Old Mar 2nd, 2018, 8:48 am

Quote:
That would be the one LOL. The most relevant review is telling.

Small problem but good

Clutch is made good quality but is to thick hade to replace spacer ring with a thinner one made from a steel coat hanger so fare I put on 440 miles on it and no problems working out smooth shifting works like it should I would buy again

Not the solution I might choose though. That coat hanger wire won't hold up very well. If the clutch material was thick enough over all, I might see if a clutch rebuild shop could grind it or recover mine with the right thickness material as Voyager did, He had other issues though.
anarchosteff likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #42 of 54 Old Mar 5th, 2018, 5:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
That would be the one LOL. The most relevant review is telling.

Small problem but good

Clutch is made good quality but is to thick hade to replace spacer ring with a thinner one made from a steel coat hanger so fare I put on 440 miles on it and no problems working out smooth shifting works like it should I would buy again

Not the solution I might choose though. That coat hanger wire won't hold up very well. If the clutch material was thick enough over all, I might see if a clutch rebuild shop could grind it or recover mine with the right thickness material as Voyager did, He had other issues though.
There is no reason the clutch can't be rebuilt by a competent shop. Unfortunately, despite compliments from past customers, I no longer consider Southland Clutch to be competent. They had to rework my clutch disk due to an improperly set rivet and I have a clutch shudder that I am 98% sure is due to machining that was a little off axis so that one or both of the contact surfaces has a slight high spot.

The good news is that 10,000 miles of wear has nearly eliminated the shudder.

However, I would stick with OEM parts next time, but I certainly hope there is no next time!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #43 of 54 Old Mar 5th, 2018, 6:05 pm
cws

Garage

Quote:

another $18 for shipping
Interesting... I bought a Siebenrock oil-resistant a few years back direct from Siebenrock Germany, shipped to Australia. Still get emails when they are doing specials.
They list a few resellers on their site..... but not the usual ones we know on here.
Times change I guess.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #44 of 54 Old Mar 6th, 2018, 7:46 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws View Post
Interesting... I bought a Siebenrock oil-resistant a few years back direct from Siebenrock Germany, shipped to Australia. Still get emails when they are doing specials.
They list a few resellers on their site..... but not the usual ones we know on here.
Times change I guess.
Our BeemerBoneYard normally carries them they were just out of stock.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #45 of 54 Old Mar 6th, 2018, 7:52 pm
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Our BeemerBoneYard normally carries them they were just out of stock.
cheers John. I don't think they did stock them when I bought mine.... hopefully won't have to buy another one though....
I've still got 2 x new clutch slave cylinders I bought from them a few years back... after we rebuilt the clutch though. Just in case... you know...
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #46 of 54 Old Mar 10th, 2018, 5:14 pm Thread Starter

Garage

I finally got the replacement clutch plate and parts and started tearing into her. The gear box and clutch plate are out. I'm heading to Lowes in the morning to pick up an iron bar to make a holder to get the clutch nut off, so I can get to the main seal.

Calibrating my cheesy plastic micrometer against a known, the Siebenrock oil-resistant clutch plate, at 6.15mm, I'd say that my old clutch plate is about 5.4mm. Its not a desperate need to replace it seems, but I have the replacement ... so ... oh well.

My gear position sensor pretty much disintegrated the moment I compressed the spring to take it off. That may account for the wacky gear readings that I would get after a good rain. The speed sensor also broke when I started twisting it to remove it from its hole.

I'm fairly convinced at this point that this process is part of some bizarre hazing ritual. I just hope there's plenty of beer and dancing girls once I'm finally a member of whatever club it is that I appear to be joining.

I'll probably work on cracking the gear box open tomorrow ... anxious to see the condition of the input shaft bearing.

I've been making videos of this entire process. I'll try to piece them together and post it to BitChute after she's all back together. I never found a video that mentioned how to lower the engine to get at the gearbox for removal. So, I'm hoping that at least can be helpful to the next victim.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180310_163233.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	514.3 KB
ID:	140737   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180310_163140.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	445.5 KB
ID:	140745   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180310_163116.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	412.5 KB
ID:	140753  
Patric likes this.
post #47 of 54 Old Mar 10th, 2018, 7:27 pm

Quote:
I finally got the replacement clutch plate and parts and started tearing into her. The gear box and clutch plate are out. I'm heading to Lowes in the morning to pick up an iron bar to make a holder to get the clutch nut off, so I can get to the main seal.

Calibrating my cheesy plastic micrometer against a known, the Siebenrock oil-resistant clutch plate, at 6.15mm, I'd say that my old clutch plate is about 5.4mm. Its not a desperate need to replace it seems, but I have the replacement ... so ... oh well.

My gear position sensor pretty much disintegrated the moment I compressed the spring to take it off. That may account for the wacky gear readings that I would get after a good rain. The speed sensor also broke when I started twisting it to remove it from its hole.

I'm fairly convinced at this point that this process is part of some bizarre hazing ritual. I just hope there's plenty of beer and dancing girls once I'm finally a member of whatever club it is that I appear to be joining.

I'll probably work on cracking the gear box open tomorrow ... anxious to see the condition of the input shaft bearing.

I've been making videos of this entire process. I'll try to piece them together and post it to BitChute after she's all back together. I never found a video that mentioned how to lower the engine to get at the gearbox for removal. So, I'm hoping that at least can be helpful to the next victim.
The hazing ritual isn't over yet. I see a potential mistake that might cost you some more money. At least it isn't difficult to replace if it is damaged. I see the engine temp sensor is still connected. When you lower the engine, that cable can get stretched and if it goes too far, it will damage the sensor. The one I did was damaged right at the sensor so no repairing the wires. $120 later, it was replaced. Check it with a meter and pull the cable around some to see if the wires are damaged. If it reads shorted or open, it is dead. It runs in behind the coil to the back of the left head.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180310_163116.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	331.8 KB
ID:	140761  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #48 of 54 Old Mar 10th, 2018, 8:24 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
The hazing ritual isn't over yet. I see a potential mistake that might cost you some more money. At least it isn't difficult to replace if it is damaged. I see the engine temp sensor is still connected. When you lower the engine, that cable can get stretched and if it goes too far, it will damage the sensor. The one I did was damaged right at the sensor so no repairing the wires. $120 later, it was replaced. Check it with a meter and pull the cable around some to see if the wires are damaged. If it reads shorted or open, it is dead. It runs in behind the coil to the back of the left head.
Crap. I was feeling like the engine should have been able to drop lower than it did. I was looking all over to see if it was hung up on something, but didn't see anything. I didn't look back far enough to see that that cable was pulled so taught it bent the bracket. I just disconnected it. I will check it with a meter in the morning.

So, this brings me to a question: What, if anything, is stopping the engine from tilting all the way down to the ground? I know that that would destroy the radiator hoses on the front if it was done, but I'm wondering if there's anything else, besides that cable, that could be holding the clutch side of the engine up at this point?

For the record, I just put a jack stand back under the clutch to rest on.
post #49 of 54 Old Mar 10th, 2018, 8:31 pm

Quote:
Crap. I was feeling like the engine should have been able to drop lower than it did. I was looking all over to see if it was hung up on something, but didn't see anything. I didn't look back far enough to see that that cable was pulled so taught it bent the bracket. I just disconnected it. I will check it with a meter in the morning.

So, this brings me to a question: What, if anything, is stopping the engine from tilting all the way down to the ground? I know that that would destroy the radiator hoses on the front if it was done, but I'm wondering if there's anything else, besides that cable, that could be holding the clutch side of the engine up at this point?

For the record, I just put a jack stand back under the clutch to rest on.
I have not looked to see what may be keeping it from swing down besides the radiators so I won't even take a guess. I hope the sensor is OK but if it was stretched that tight.........

Only a meter will tell.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #50 of 54 Old Mar 10th, 2018, 8:43 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If you removed the transmission you have lowered the engine enough. Always best to pop the radiators out of their holding points on the frame so as to not stress them. I usually take the fans off the radiators as well.

I would also remove the tip over sub frames on both sides as well just to make sure they are not in the way. I use two M8 bolts with the heads cut off to use a guides when removing and installing the transmission.

This should be the view of your clutch area when the engine is down far enough.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	140769   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bolt5.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	140777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Radiators.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	418.1 KB
ID:	140785  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in