BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

bolts that hold ignition to steering head

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Jerod521 
#1 ·
have just completed pulling my bike down to remove the ignition from the steering head however the bolts 2 that hold the ignition to the steering head are a bolt head i have never seen before looks like a daisy (smaal circular hole inthe centre with small inverted triangles radiating around this central small circle ,dont know what to remove the bolts with
regards richard

#2 ·
The manual states:

"with a 4mm drill, drill the heads of the non-removable screws to a depth of 5mm. Then with an 8 mm drill drill off the heads. Remove the ignition switch/lock and unscrew the pins with a stud remover."

Not what you wanted to hear. Now you have to get some new non-removable screws as well as a key.

#4 ·
Here at my job we run into bolts of that nature as well. Securing ECM's and steering locks and the like. More than likely your bolts will have locktight on them as well. What we do is use a cut-off wheel or grinder to make a slot in the bolt head. Then use a large flat blade screw driver to remove the bolt. It helps to do it right away because the friction from the grinder heats up the locktight and aids in removal.

If you have access to make the cut I would do that. We have broken more than a few bits trying to remove bolts the way the manual says. Then it turns into a hugh fiasco...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.