transmission oil change - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Dec 19th, 2006, 3:49 pm Thread Starter

transmission oil change

i can change the engine oil and final drive oil by following really good instructions from the advice found on our forum.
please advise about the trans.
is this something i can do also? and how?
new'b'mw.
02 1200 lt

thanks
scrc 361
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Dec 19th, 2006, 4:32 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Your best bet is to pick up a service manual. BMW makes a good one (though pricey), and Clymer also makes a manual for the LT now.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 16 Old Dec 19th, 2006, 4:33 pm

Changing the transmission fluid is relatively easy. This link descrribes how to modify an empty oil bottle to simplify the job.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #4 of 16 Old Dec 19th, 2006, 4:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Your best bet is to pick up a service manual.
Although buying/owning the service manual is great, I hardly think one needs it to change the tranny fluid. But that's you rich guys for ya.
post #5 of 16 Old Dec 19th, 2006, 4:47 pm

It's quite easy as astuber says. You will need a 14mm hex wrench which is available at some auto part stores. If you search for "14mm" you will find some links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltarider
i can change the engine oil and final drive oil by following really good instructions from the advice found on our forum.
please advise about the trans.
is this something i can do also? and how?
new'b'mw.
02 1200 lt

thanks
scrc 361

~~~~~~~~~
Fascinating.
post #6 of 16 Old Dec 19th, 2006, 5:09 pm

I just bought the "OEM Hex Bit Set, 1/2" Drive Metric" (Allen) socket at Auto Zone yesterday. I had to call two before I could find it. Most places don't carry it. It came in a package with a 12mm, 14mm (the one you need) and 17mm. It cost $9.99.

I used AMSOIL 75W90 Severe Gear Lube as it is warrantied for double the recommended change interval. This was important to me as you will soon find out if you do it yourself.

Put down some absorbant puppy training pads available at Walmart. I'm messy.

The Clymer BMW K1200RS, GT & LT 1998-2005 has pretty good directions for most procedures and is easier to follow and less expensive than the BMW service manual.
post #7 of 16 Old Dec 19th, 2006, 5:13 pm

IMO, a service manual is good, but Paul Sayegh's DVDs are even better for a newby who wants a comprehensive how-to of basic maintenance.

http://www.sayegh.org/bmw/service-video.htm
post #8 of 16 Old Dec 19th, 2006, 5:18 pm

As most here can attest my mechanical knowledge is, shall we say, "limited". However, I purchased the Paul Sayegh videos, bought the tools and have found that I can do most of the routine maintenance pretty well. Saves a lot of money. The videos are great for non-mechanical types as he shows you exactly what to expect when you attempt the chores yourself. The investment in the videos and tools paid for themselves during the first maintenance. For the tranny, other than having to remove the muffler bracket, it is about the same as an oil change. Good luck.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #9 of 16 Old Dec 19th, 2006, 5:37 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Although buying/owning the service manual is great, I hardly think one needs it to change the tranny fluid. But that's you rich guys for ya.
A service manual is just another tool. You can't change the tranny fluid without some sort of a 14mm hex socket, piece of All-thread, or 9/16" bolt/nut combo, so why wouldn't you consider proper instructions just as essential?

I'm all for enabling garage mechanics to do their own maintenance. It helps you get familiar with your bike, and can give you piece of mind that the work is done right (I'll take far more time and care on my bike than a mechanic working on an hourly rate would). But you have to be realistic, and know your own limitations. Some guys are great mechanics with years of experience, and some guys admittedly can't change a light bulb without a three-page manual with full color pics.

I have a fair amount of mechanical and electrical experience, and I'm not afraid to tackle just about anything on this bike. But I'm not a doctor, or architect, or chef, so when I need those services, I call in for professional help.

We've been pretty good here about writing up detailed instructions for common service tasks, and offering instant help on almost any topic imaginable. I've attended or hosted numerous tech sessions and always share my knowledge freely to anyone interested. Some guys learn how to do things on their own, and some just like to see it done so they can be more informed when talking with their dealer. But we've also had a few serious problems from folks getting in way too deep and making simple mistakes that cost them downtime and dollars to repair. Not to mention the possibility of a safety-related failure, which I hate to think about.

So again, if you're going to do any real work on your bike, get the proper tools, including a quality manual (for about an hour's labor charge). Or leave it to someone you trust.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 16 Old Dec 19th, 2006, 5:38 pm

Question Tranny Oil Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBantz
As most here can attest my mechanical knowledge is, shall we say, "limited". However, I purchased the Paul Sayegh videos, bought the tools and have found that I can do most of the routine maintenance pretty well. Saves a lot of money. The videos are great for non-mechanical types as he shows you exactly what to expect when you attempt the chores yourself. The investment in the videos and tools paid for themselves during the first maintenance. For the tranny, other than having to remove the muffler bracket, it is about the same as an oil change. Good luck.
I never removed any muffler bracket to change the tran oil. Why would you?
post #11 of 16 Old Dec 19th, 2006, 5:49 pm

HarvRead - I believe the muffler bracket he is talking about is that long cylindrical object just below the transmission drain plug that has two "wires" leading to the muffer bracket itself which is attached to the muffler. I thought on my 2000 I was able to take out the bolt just below the transmission drain plug and loosen the other end attached to the muffler and just move it out of the way. On my 2006 I had to remove the muffler bracket thingycompletely. Geez, why didn't they just put the drain and fill plugs where you can easily get to them without having to remove the footpeg assembly, lower grey fairing, skid plate, muffler bracket, etc.? It would be cool if someone made a transmission drain plug extension that routed it out into the open with a valve and drill an access hole through the foot peg assembly. Hmmmm.....
post #12 of 16 Old Dec 19th, 2006, 5:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVipond
HarvRead - I believe the muffler bracket he is talking about is that long cylindrical object just below the transmission drain plug that has two "wires" leading to the muffer bracket itself which is attached to the muffler. I thought on my 2000 I was able to take out the bolt just below the transmission drain plug and loosen the other end attached to the muffler and just move it out of the way. On my 2006 I had to remove the muffler bracket thingycompletely. Geez, why didn't they just put the drain and fill plugs where you can easily get to them without having to remove the footpeg assembly, lower grey fairing, skid plate, muffler bracket, etc.? It would be cool if someone made a transmission drain plug extension that routed it out into the open with a valve and drill an access hole through the foot peg assembly. Hmmmm.....
What he said.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #13 of 16 Old Dec 19th, 2006, 8:55 pm

try to get local help the first time

All of the instructions on this site have helped me to perform countless tasks on the bike from the 3 basic fluid changes to installing HID lighting to installing a Remus Muffler, to a GPS, etc., BUT the first time I tried anything, I had help and attended a local wrenching session. That was the best and got me off to a good start. If there is not one in your area, get out the word and it is quit possible there are several in your area that have done the task or will help you learn. It is worth the effort for many reasons.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #14 of 16 Old Dec 30th, 2006, 12:33 pm Thread Starter

Thanks To Everyone Who Post. I Appreciate Your Advice And Suggestions.

Will Jump On My Project After The Holidays.

Ride Safe
Scrc-361
Bmwmoa
post #15 of 16 Old Dec 30th, 2006, 6:21 pm Thread Starter

Thanks To All For Great Info.
I Will Get To It Soon After The Holidays.

Have A Safe And Prosperous New Years.
post #16 of 16 Old Dec 30th, 2006, 7:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarvRead
I never removed any muffler bracket to change the tran oil. Why would you?
Harv... on my '05, there is a stabilizer bracket for the muffler which blocks access to the "gearbox" plug.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in