Brake schematics K12LT 2000 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Feb 10th, 2018, 11:46 am Thread Starter

Brake schematics K12LT 2000

Hi guys,

I've had good help from this forum and hope you can help me out on this:
Does anyone have the schematics of the brake system on the K1200LT 2000 ? There's no pump - those I can find plenty of, but not the non-integrated ones.

Just want to understand what I'll be doing when I flush the brakes this winter following Kirk's video guide.. Am thinking of changing the brake lines as well.

Best regards to all
Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Feb 10th, 2018, 1:26 pm

Re: Brake schematics K12LT 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike DK View Post
Hi guys,

I've had good help from this forum and hope you can help me out on this:
Does anyone have the schematics of the brake system on the K1200LT 2000 ? There's no pump - those I can find plenty of, but not the non-integrated ones.

Just want to understand what I'll be doing when I flush the brakes this winter following Kirk's video guide.. Am thinking of changing the brake lines as well.

Best regards to all
Michael
Was looking for a pic of the modulator but apparently I haven't saved on off of the non integrated yet. There really isn't much of a schematic to them. There is only one reservoir per circuit, front on the bars and back under the rear seat on the right side.

The modulator has 2 bleed ports on the top. Front is front and rear is rear. I usually bleed the modulator first till it runs clear and then do the wheel circuits. Of course the front has 2 calipers so doing the right side first removes most of the old fluid and then the left will only need the crossover tube and what fluid is in the caliper itself.

If you still have the ventilation screw attachment on the right front side, you will need a vent screw in your tool box.

34 11 7 658 388 VENT SCREW (from 01/01) 0.02 2 $9.58

Even though you can remove the ventilation screw attachment (with heat, it has loctite on it) and replace it with this vent screw ( bleed valve) this is the same screw you will need to bleed the clutch circuit so I just keep one to do the maintenance and leave it on there. It has a cap screwed into the top on it which you must remove to screw the bleed valve in and depress the check ball to release fluid.

When doing the front, place a nice shiny quarter in the bottom of the reservoir on the bars and it will keep from shooting fluid onto your paint if you use the pump method as I do. When you squeeze the handle, some fluid will shoot out of the hole in the bottom. Don't forget to remove it when done.

Good luck

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Feb 10th, 2018, 5:37 pm

See if this helps. This is from the repair manual I used for my 2000LT. If you want the entire manual, either pm me your email address or send me a email to:
mtrevelino (at) hotmail.com
It may take you a couple of days to receive it as I use a free file share server.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf K1200LT_brakes.pdf (1.69 MB, 87 views)

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old Apr 4th, 2018, 7:11 pm Thread Starter

Hi,
I have the manual but am missing some kind of "how it works in a few lines" drawing

I found this of an integrated circuit, so I'm looking for the smpler non-integrated one

Thx, Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drawing 1.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	142146  
post #5 of 5 Old Apr 5th, 2018, 5:40 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The way your ABS works is with a variable displacement piston one each for front and rear. These pistons are connected with a pull chain to a crank shaft driven by an electric motor. When the electronics detect a wheel locking up the motor runs, the respective electric clutch engages that wheel's piston chain and the piston relieves pressure on the errant wheel allowing it to regain traction. Of course this happens many times a second. Here is an internal explosion of what the system looks like.

As far as bleeding - in at the reservoir and out at the caliper. There is a high point port at the top of each piston for possible trapped air but it is a simple bleed (or flush is probably what you are really doing).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc01514do6.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	294.1 KB
ID:	142162  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in