GS 911 Capabilities and Benefits - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By beech
  • 1 Post By Voyager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Feb 4th, 2018, 10:34 am Thread Starter

GS 911 Capabilities and Benefits

I am considering a GS 911 purchase to monitor & diagnose the status of the '00 LT that I just got.
I drive an '06 Audi A6 cage(185k miles), & couldn't do my own maintenance &/or repairs on it with out the VCDS software & ELSA manual that's loaded on my laptop.
So, I'm assuming that I'll find good use for the GS 911 software & interface.
However, before I hastily purchase, I'd like to hear about it from others what it's benefits have been.
So what's your experience?

A good man once told me, "Don't ever get rid of your bike. It's your soul."

'06 Audi A6 3.2, "Beauty"
'00 BMW k1200LT, "Kitty"
'82 Suzuki GS1100GK, "Medussa(evil)"
'80 Suzuki GS1000G, "Penny",

Gone, but sorely missed
'77 Yam XS750-2D, "Loretta"
'84 Yam Venture, "the Polish Pony"
'73 Porsche 911T Targa(mechanical injection)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Feb 4th, 2018, 12:48 pm

Re: GS 911 Capabilities and Benefits

With your bike you could get away with the original model that was bluetooth or wire hook up. They are cheaper. Also buy the regular model that will do ten bikes no need for the pro model with unlimited bike use. You can up grade on line later if you want. Yes, it is a great tool for looking in depth at your bike. You have no service reminder but many other actual function features are available along with real time observation of many functions. There are now two model up grades one for the new 2017 (and newer) bikes and just in the past few days an additional model.
You need a garage computer to run things. I have an inexpensive lap top for that duty. I sold my original first model when I upgraded, you might find one of those. I suggest you pass on the Chinese copies.
Patric and LarryJa like this.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #3 of 6 Old Feb 4th, 2018, 3:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hi, I got mine GS911 to reset the service reminder on my 2010 R1200GSA. But, I have used it a few times on my 2002 K1200LT/ Hannigan rig. On the K1200 I had it help find a problem with the TPS , also I had ABS lights that my GS911 told me it was low brake fluid .

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Feb 4th, 2018, 10:32 pm
cws

Garage

I have an '05 LT and have used my wired GS911 several times on my bike, mainly to check after self-servicing that everything was running OK. It's handy to have things like "check cooling fans" etc that won't otherwise come on until bike warms up, watch real-time 02 sensor data, etc.
Also use it on my K12GT, and have used it on several friends K1200LT's. Will use it on my next door neighbours 2004 LT when he eventually gets it out of storage.
Good thing with the LT's and earlier GT/RS's.. it doesn't store VIN codes for these so there is no limit on number of bikes.... different if doing GS's and later models.
Also helpful if you need people like Sailor (Jean) to help diagnose issues over the Interwebs!

Actually, I also just bought an OBD2 reader for the Sprinter motorhome I picked up recently, after how useful I found the GS911 has been.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #5 of 6 Old Feb 5th, 2018, 6:29 am

I just purchased a used one last week. It arrived Friday. I tried it out and it seems pretty cool. I hope I really never have to use it, but it is good to know I will have one if I need one. I will keep it on the bike at all times.
post #6 of 6 Old Feb 5th, 2018, 9:20 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartold73 View Post
I just purchased a used one last week. It arrived Friday. I tried it out and it seems pretty cool. I hope I really never have to use it, but it is good to know I will have one if I need one. I will keep it on the bike at all times.
You should use it at every 12K maintenance interval to check for stored fault codes. You should also use it after every brake fluid flush to check for air in the system.

I have yet to see a fault code on my LT, but I still use my GS-911 routinely. After my Speiglers installation, I could not get all of the air out of the rear control circuit even after an hour or more of bleeding over two days. I put nearly a quart of fluid through the system yet could not pass the bleed test.

The good news is that I knew I had an issue, so I road cautiously for a week and then checked again and enough air had worked its way out so that the bleed test now passed.

Vibration and use does wonders for getting the last little bit of air from the hydraulics. I had the same issue with the clutch, although no test to run on it, just mushy lever that barely disengaged the clutch. A week of riding and all was good.

I consider modern diagnostic tools a "must have" if you plan to do your own work and do it well. Any they pay for themselves quickly. I pretty much paid for my new Handy lift with the labor savings on my clutch repair a couple years ago...
kbob12 likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in