REPORT: Retrofit '01 with a Power Center Stand - BMW Luxury Touring Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 Old Dec 18th, 2006, 8:07 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
midwilshire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: , ,
Posts: 364
REPORT: Retrofit '01 with a Power Center Stand

This is my project report for retrofitting my 2001 LT with one of them new-fangled power center stands.

First, let me note that this project was neither difficult nor expensive and it ranks high on the "glad I did it" list. HID and GPS are two others. Now for the report.

I got the stand used. Total cost beyond that: $26.

The first trick is to figure out how you're going to keep the bike balanced upright without using the center stand or the side stand, as both of those stands come off in one piece. Since I work alone and without the benefit of a bike lift, or even a garage for that matter, I Jerry rigged a tie down pallet using three scraps of 2x4 and some webbing front & rear. Thank goodness for powered-reverse.







Next, you unbolt the old stand by removing four allen bolts on the main stand and two hex bolts on the front lip of the stand. You'll find them once you're under there - it's a little hard to describe. Here's a pic of what some of the main bolts look like.



Out with the old and in with the new. Note the identical four-bolt pattern in the center of each stand.



On reassembly, it's a little tricky getting the first bolt on the new stand started because you have to hold the thing in place with one hand. But once one bolt is started, the remaining three are pretty easy.

Please note that you have to remove two bolts on the new stand to separate the thing into two parts. You do this to access two of the main bolts, and once they're in, you can put the thing back together. In the picture below, I just finished the four main bolts, but the front 1/2 of the stand is still hanging.



Before putting that front 1/2 of the stand back on, however, it's a good idea to deal with the engine kill switch on the new side stand. If you wait until you've completely reassembled the center stand, there'll be little room to get your soldering iron in to access the three wires (I couldn't get the connector off, so I just spliced them together). See pic - the side stand pivot is right below the red wire there.



Incidentally, that 1" tube thingy just to the right of the red wire in the above pic is the exhaust - so use heat-resistant weatherproofing when covering the splice.

With the stand swapped out, you can run the electrical.

There are two wires leaving the actuator: red and black. I ran black directly to the neg battery terminal. Red ran to the switch you see in the pic below, then to a 30amp fuse, then to the positive terminal.



I thought the handle location would be ideal, as the handle is no longer in use. The handle does, however, protect the switch from accidental activation. The cutesy red cover purports to do the same and only cost me $5 at RatShack.

That's the extent of my safety precautions. I did not run it through another activation switch or through a neutral switch, as I considered previously. It runs right off the battery, whether the ignition is on or not. Having used it a few times for practice, I don't really see how it could be accidentally activated (you've really got to reach up there to get to it), so I'm comfortable with the setup.

For fun, I rode the LT around the parking lot putting it up on the center stand just to see how it handled different inclines and angles. This stand is such a pleasure to have. I even coaxed it up from the side stand while standing next to it.

This device will definitely come in handy. I highly recommend the procedure for anyone considering it.

Last edited by midwilshire; Dec 18th, 2006 at 8:13 pm.
midwilshire is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 56 Old Dec 18th, 2006, 8:17 pm
Senior Member
 
deputy5211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dallas Area, TX, USA
Posts: 4,877
Nice job. Care to share where you found the stand and what you paid for it? May have to put one of those on my ride.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------


'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.
*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
deputy5211 is offline  
post #3 of 56 Old Dec 18th, 2006, 8:55 pm
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,905
Great job Mike . . . and a nice write-up as well.

I think it's fine the way you have it wired for now, but I don't think it's a good permanent solution. It would be easy enough to add a relay, with a lead coming from the Neutral lamp of the dash to trigger the relay. Think about it...
messenger13 is offline  
 
post #4 of 56 Old Dec 18th, 2006, 9:17 pm
Senior Member
 
Texas42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 1,134
Great write up! Where did you get the centerstand?

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't Panic!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Texas42 is offline  
post #5 of 56 Old Dec 19th, 2006, 8:58 am
Senior Member
 
SilverBuffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: St. Petersburg, FL, USA
Posts: 3,208
I'm impressed,
not just with your excellent write up and pictures,
but with your ingenuity making up the stand,
and your "courage" rolling the big girl up onto a narrow 2x4.

I have the 05 with the factory stand, I like it "a lot"
the only fault with it is the fact that I have to turn on the ignition to power up
and it will not work with the sidestand down or if you're holding the brake,
your way does not have any of those issues, "great job"


Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"



SilverBuffalo is offline  
post #6 of 56 Old Dec 19th, 2006, 4:45 pm
Senior Member
 
tmgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NE Georgia, GA., USA
Posts: 5,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwilshire
This is my project report for retrofitting my 2001 LT with one of them new-fangled power center stands.

First, let me note that this project was neither difficult nor expensive and it ranks high on the "glad I did it" list. HID and GPS are two others. Now for the report.

I got the stand used. Total cost beyond that: $26.

The first trick is to figure out how you're going to keep the bike balanced upright without using the center stand or the side stand, as both of those stands come off in one piece. Since I work alone and without the benefit of a bike lift, or even a garage for that matter, I Jerry rigged a tie down pallet using three scraps of 2x4 and some webbing front & rear. Thank goodness for powered-reverse.







Next, you unbolt the old stand by removing four allen bolts on the main stand and two hex bolts on the front lip of the stand. You'll find them once you're under there - it's a little hard to describe. Here's a pic of what some of the main bolts look like.



Out with the old and in with the new. Note the identical four-bolt pattern in the center of each stand.



On reassembly, it's a little tricky getting the first bolt on the new stand started because you have to hold the thing in place with one hand. But once one bolt is started, the remaining three are pretty easy.

Please note that you have to remove two bolts on the new stand to separate the thing into two parts. You do this to access two of the main bolts, and once they're in, you can put the thing back together. In the picture below, I just finished the four main bolts, but the front 1/2 of the stand is still hanging.



Before putting that front 1/2 of the stand back on, however, it's a good idea to deal with the engine kill switch on the new side stand. If you wait until you've completely reassembled the center stand, there'll be little room to get your soldering iron in to access the three wires (I couldn't get the connector off, so I just spliced them together). See pic - the side stand pivot is right below the red wire there.



Incidentally, that 1" tube thingy just to the right of the red wire in the above pic is the exhaust - so use heat-resistant weatherproofing when covering the splice.

With the stand swapped out, you can run the electrical.

There are two wires leaving the actuator: red and black. I ran black directly to the neg battery terminal. Red ran to the switch you see in the pic below, then to a 30amp fuse, then to the positive terminal.



I thought the handle location would be ideal, as the handle is no longer in use. The handle does, however, protect the switch from accidental activation. The cutesy red cover purports to do the same and only cost me $5 at RatShack.

That's the extent of my safety precautions. I did not run it through another activation switch or through a neutral switch, as I considered previously. It runs right off the battery, whether the ignition is on or not. Having used it a few times for practice, I don't really see how it could be accidentally activated (you've really got to reach up there to get to it), so I'm comfortable with the setup.

For fun, I rode the LT around the parking lot putting it up on the center stand just to see how it handled different inclines and angles. This stand is such a pleasure to have. I even coaxed it up from the side stand while standing next to it.

This device will definitely come in handy. I highly recommend the procedure for anyone considering it.
Good job, I like to see folks make do with what they have at hand!

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
tmgs is offline  
post #7 of 56 Old Dec 19th, 2006, 6:55 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MARCO ISLAND, FL, W. NC USA
Posts: 1,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
the only fault with it is the fact that I have to turn on the ignition to power up
and it will not work with the sidestand down or if you're holding the brake,
your way does not have any of those issues, "great job"
Hans, you do realize he great minds at BMW figure if you need to use the brake while operating the stand (like if the bike is inclined uphill) then you may not be able to kick her uphill to get her off the stand not to mention the increased power to overcome the brakes drag on the way up. Also they want the engine operating to keep the volts up.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SmokinJoe is offline  
post #8 of 56 Old Dec 19th, 2006, 8:45 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
midwilshire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: , ,
Posts: 364
Thanks for all of your comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I think it's fine the way you have it wired for now, but I don't think it's a good permanent solution. It would be easy enough to add a relay, with a lead coming from the Neutral lamp of the dash to trigger the relay. Think about it...
Totally agree with ya, Joe. I'll get to it one of these days...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas42
Great write up! Where did you get the centerstand?
Nabbed one from one of our nice members in the classifieds forum. He triked his LT and really had no need for it. He gave me a good deal on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
... your "courage" rolling the big girl up onto a narrow 2x4.
It took two tries to get it more-or-less centered. I usually ride with the seat in the high position, but lowered it for this procedure. Still, I was a tad nervous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
... I have the 05 with the factory stand, I like it "a lot"
the only fault with it is the fact that I have to turn on the ignition to power up and it will not work with the sidestand down or if you're holding the brake...
Those faults don't seem significant. But I like to hold the front brake until the stand touches down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
Good job, I like to see folks make do with what they have at hand!
I grew up on a farm. Making-do is half the fun (now).
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe
Hans, you do realize he great minds at BMW figure...
I'm all for having the great minds figure out how to do work for me, like lift the bike up mechanically, but they need not think for me, too. If the rider is dumb enough to park uphill, then the bike is better off remaining on the center stand.
midwilshire is offline  
post #9 of 56 Old Nov 18th, 2007, 3:18 pm
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 62
wow

What a great job of covering the install ... and it looks like it wasn't that much of a pain to retrofit - no custom brackets to make or holes to drill/tap?

On a side note ... I really like the location of your fog lights up on the mirrors - I've always thought of that space as being wasted ... did you make those brackets yourself, or are they buyable?
UKTzero is offline  
post #10 of 56 Old Nov 18th, 2007, 5:28 pm
Senior Member
 
Zotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Casper, WY, USA
Posts: 1,742
There's an '08 powered center stand on eBay right now - starting bid is over $600 Man, guess you'd really want to have one. But, it is "brand new".

Love your bike stand!! I'll likely be 'copying' that idea my own selfs!

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Zotter is offline  
post #11 of 56 Old Nov 18th, 2007, 10:45 pm
Senior Member
 
deputy5211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dallas Area, TX, USA
Posts: 4,877
For what it's worth, I recently purchased MidWilshire's bike to part out after it was wrecked. I went through his wiring for the centerstand quite thoroughly to see how it all came together. Quite simple, i works very well, and was a very clean install.

I made a few modifications to make the stand work even on the stripped down bike. I'll try to post a photo or two shortly so you can see how I modified it to make it even simpler. . .

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------


'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.
*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
deputy5211 is offline  
post #12 of 56 Old Dec 6th, 2007, 4:50 am
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 62
liverwurst

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
For what it's worth, I recently purchased MidWilshire's bike to part out after it was wrecked. I went through his wiring for the centerstand quite thoroughly to see how it all came together. Quite simple, i works very well, and was a very clean install.

I made a few modifications to make the stand work even on the stripped down bike. I'll try to post a photo or two shortly so you can see how I modified it to make it even simpler. . .


I'm anxious to hear how this is turning out, from midwilshire to see how this is holding up now that it’s been installed and used for a while, and also to see if deputy5211 has any of the photos of the stripped down bike with the center stand still installed yet?


I have a feeling I'm going to be doing this mod in the near future and all the help and tech-photos that I can get my eyes on will help a lot - and if anyone has a used power center stand unit for sale, I would be interested in talking with you about buying it


Thanks in advance

Last edited by UKTzero; Dec 6th, 2007 at 5:06 am.
UKTzero is offline  
post #13 of 56 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 11:40 pm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3
Thumbs up retro power stand

I just joined this group and it is great. The info available here is priceless. I plan on installing one on my 02LT.
17498 is offline  
post #14 of 56 Old Dec 21st, 2008, 11:38 am
Senior Member
 
Allred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Riverton, Utah, USA
Posts: 155
Re: REPORT: Retrofit '01 with a Power Center Stand

Thanks for this write up!

I am just about done with the regular 36K maintenance items on my '03 LT, and ready to start on the optional tasks I've selected to make the bike a bit more friendly to me.

First item on the list is installation of a powered center stand. I've got all the hardware thanks to another list member who triked his LT. I had hoped to source a female side (bike electrical harness side) of the large electrical power connector (see photo attached) to use in my installation rather than attempting aftermarket wire connectors.

Any chance anyone has a wrecked LT from which I could purchase the female half of connector with as much of the original wire attached as possible?

I've tried LT Parts.com, Beemer Boneyard, and a couple of other commercial sources, no luck. Pleasee PM me, or e-mail if you have one you would sell.

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Center lift with connector.JPG
Views:	2400
Size:	910.6 KB
ID:	21098  

Bob Allred
Riverton, Utah
'03 K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 old Airheads & 1 Oilhead



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Allred is offline  
post #15 of 56 Old Feb 1st, 2009, 3:37 pm
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: lincoln, ne, USA
Posts: 83
Re: REPORT: Retrofit '01 with a Power Center Stand

An fyi..


There will be a center stand and FD on the market around the end of june.

donor..06 Lt. going in for surgery,12-13000 mi.


Dennis
Beemer2up is offline  
post #16 of 56 Old Mar 17th, 2010, 12:21 am
Senior Member
 
coug66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: shadow of Mount Rainier, WA, USA
Posts: 129
Re: REPORT: Retrofit '01 with a Power Center Stand

Just installed my 2006 power center stand and side stand and it works great!

I haven't wired it yet just test connected to lift it on the center stand a couple of times!

Wow I love this thing and the setup came with a larger side stand pad.

I did find out that the stand it already grounded to no need to connect the other wire.

I am going to connect it to a relay and then use a button that will only connect when the button is pushed.

I am also going to weatherproof the switch since I don't want water to short it and deploy while driving. I will water hose test it to make absolutely sure it is not vulnerable to accidental shorting.

Ian

2003 K1200LT
Aprilia Caponord





To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
coug66 is offline  
post #17 of 56 Old Mar 17th, 2010, 12:43 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: West Milford, NJ, USA
Posts: 978
Re: REPORT: Retrofit '01 with a Power Center Stand

Ian: congratulations.

Just one comment - as I read your post about grounding, I understand that you elected to not run the ground return from the motor. If that is indeed what you did, I would suggest to still run that wire.

Without it, you are relying on connections across motor body (as I recall) and through fasteners to the bike frame. That is not a good practice when you are dealing with the heavy current draw of the pump motor - at the best, you may have unnecessary voltage drops, at the worst, damage to connections or to the motor.

All your bike's circuits work best when they have their own ground returns to the battery (or to the ground post at the other side of battery cable) - be it intercom, radio, aux lights or that centerstand.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rdwalker is offline  
post #18 of 56 Old Mar 17th, 2010, 10:19 am
Senior Member
 
coug66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: shadow of Mount Rainier, WA, USA
Posts: 129
Re: REPORT: Retrofit '01 with a Power Center Stand

Thanks for the tip.

I still have both long wires (which I spliced in ) still connected.

I will connect the ground wire.

Just ordered a waterproof momentary connector

The recessed waterproof button should give me the safety, I am looking for.

Ian

2003 K1200LT
Aprilia Caponord





To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
coug66 is offline  
post #19 of 56 Old Mar 21st, 2010, 11:41 am
Senior Member
 
coug66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: shadow of Mount Rainier, WA, USA
Posts: 129
Re: REPORT: Retrofit '01 with a Power Center Stand




I used a 40 amp relay. and then wired up a waterproof momentary switch.

Clean install, the button is the only visible modification.

The recessed button and pressure needed to activate the button should keep it from accidental activation

I was very fortunate to pick this stand assemble up for a cheap price. I am buying a new oil pan to move my drain plug farther forward.

I am still a little concerned that I might need to remove the motor assemble to gain access to the filter?

I left a good amount of wire slack to be able to remove the stand and not have to disconnect the wiring.

2003 K1200LT
Aprilia Caponord





To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
coug66 is offline  
post #20 of 56 Old Mar 29th, 2010, 4:25 am
Member
 
beerbiker21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: London, , UK
Posts: 40
Re: REPORT: Retrofit '01 with a Power Center Stand

FYI...."this mod cannot be done as the frame is different"....maybe I'll point the local BMW Motorrad agent in my area towards this!
beerbiker21 is offline  
post #21 of 56 Old Mar 29th, 2010, 8:36 am
Senior Member
 
Steve_R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Snellville, GA, USA
Posts: 6,424
Re: REPORT: Retrofit '01 with a Power Center Stand

I suspect your dealer will tell you that will not take the responsibility for doing this upgrade even if you send them to this link.. It is not factory installed on anything earlier than 2005. After retrofitting you would want them to be responsible for it if it broke and they won't. I say that because I don't suspect the dealers in the UK are any different than they are in the US.

Good luck trying though.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
Steve_R is offline  
post #22 of 56 Old Mar 29th, 2010, 3:12 pm
Senior Member
 
coug66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: shadow of Mount Rainier, WA, USA
Posts: 129
Re: REPORT: Retrofit '01 with a Power Center Stand

I just noticed my power retro stand assembly is missing the bolt and plate in the center of this picture/ 4 bolts to mount the stands ( old and new) and a big bolt in the center? what is the reason for this bolt ? what does it connect?



Does anyone know how thick the plate ( horizontal triangle with verticle bolt between the yellow arrows) is? I have mine bolted up without a spacer?

The vertical bolt that looks like it has two wires or spring going left at the top?

What purpose does it serve? My stand works great without it and I will add bushings once I determine the thickness of the plate.


Its a big bolt must be there for a reason?

Ian

2003 K1200LT
Aprilia Caponord





To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
coug66 is offline  
post #23 of 56 Old Mar 29th, 2010, 3:47 pm
Senior Member
 
Tallyho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Roseville (Gateway to the Sierras), CA, USA
Posts: 2,083
Re: REPORT: Retrofit '01 with a Power Center Stand

Nice job on this. It's something I've considered. However, among those in our local club with 05 and newer LTs the failure rate on this centerstands seems to be excessively high. I believe they've all failed over the first couple years. Several guys have had theirs replaced under warranty more than once. It's usually the motor that gives out. Any concerns about that before taking the "old reliable" manual version out? It's what's kept me from retro-fitting as I rarely leave the bike parked on the sidestand.

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
Tallyho is offline  
post #24 of 56 Old Mar 29th, 2010, 6:14 pm
Senior Member
 
silverlt2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: , ,
Posts: 189
Re: REPORT: Retrofit '01 with a Power Center Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by coug66
I just noticed my power retro stand assembly is missing the bolt and plate in the center of this picture/ 4 bolts to mount the stands ( old and new) and a big bolt in the center? what is the reason for this bolt ? what does it connect?



Does anyone know how thick the plate ( horizontal triangle with verticle bolt between the yellow arrows) is? I have mine bolted up without a spacer?

The vertical bolt that looks like it has two wires or spring going left at the top?

What purpose does it serve? My stand works great without it and I will add bushings once I determine the thickness of the plate.


Its a big bolt must be there for a reason?

Ian
The bolt in the middle goes to an exhaust brace (the two wires you see). The bolt and the triangluar plate you see do nothing to support the stand or bike. I think this part was added after the 99 model year. I know my 02 has it. Small differences but should not make a difference for your application.

Steve

Steve Green
US Army (Ret)
2002 KLT
Titan Silver

I don't like making plans for the day....because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.
silverlt2002 is offline  
post #25 of 56 Old Mar 29th, 2010, 7:05 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter
 
LAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Harrisburg , PA, USA
Posts: 2,984
Re: REPORT: Retrofit '01 with a Power Center Stand

So will this work the other way with no fuss? 07 to manual stand?

I know why would you want too? Cheaper if I loose mine. It is for sure nice but to replace it is a fortune.

Well maybe I better meet up with someone and see if I got enough ass to put it on the center stand

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
LAF is offline  
post #26 of 56 Old Mar 30th, 2010, 12:14 pm
Senior Member
 
Tallyho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Roseville (Gateway to the Sierras), CA, USA
Posts: 2,083
Re: REPORT: Retrofit '01 with a Power Center Stand

My wife and I are often off our LT and have the bike up on the manual centerstand either before or just as the bikes with the power centerstand motors are coming to a stop. It's pretty easy for me to pop it right up even fully loaded. I've often wondered if the reason for the centerstand failures is excessive weight. Nearly all of these guys put theirs up with both riders and luggage on board. If the new LT comes with this I'll certainly accept it and also make sure it's covered on an extended warranty but for now I just keep old reliable.

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
Tallyho is offline  
post #27 of 56 Old Mar 24th, 2011, 9:16 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 1,206
Garage
Re: REPORT: Retrofit '01 with a Power Center Stand

After reading the last 23 threads about retrofits and center stand concerns I went over my owner's manual.
I do not want to sound simple but I have a '85 Glodwing prior to getting my new LT last year. When I read my manual I said to myself why are they telling me how to put my bike on the stand when I have been doing it with the wing for years (never realy used side stand) But the book specificly saids "stand with booth feet firmly on level ground without any debris or impediments" and let the stand raise bike between legs until stand light is steady on the dash.
This is mostly for those who have retrofitted and don't have the manual for the newer bikes.
I admire courage, inginiuity, tech talent and a need to take it easier but I am guessing the specs. on the electo-hydro motor are in place for the weight and design of the newer bike.
Question: what if you converted to a trike would the centerstand if left in be serviceable for perhaps an oil change or a tire change giving you clearence under the trike.
ride safe
billsmith is offline  
post #28 of 56 Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 10:33 am
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Taipei, , Taiwan
Posts: 1
Re: REPORT: Retrofit '01 with a Power Center Stand

Hi
Where can found the power center stand
Thanks!
ch19630810 is offline  
post #29 of 56 Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 10:37 am
Senior Member
 
coug66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: shadow of Mount Rainier, WA, USA
Posts: 129
Re: REPORT: Retrofit '01 with a Power Center Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch19630810
Hi
Where can found the power center stand
Thanks!

This forum in the classsifieds, craigslist, Ebay, or google search

Ian

2003 K1200LT
Aprilia Caponord





To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
coug66 is offline  
post #30 of 56 Old Mar 12th, 2012, 10:24 am
Senior Member
 
bikerj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Garland
Posts: 1,078
Re: REPORT: Retrofit '01 with a Power Center Stand

I'm guessing if one has a motor failure, then they'd possibly be better off repairing the motor or replacing it with a high torque model. Has to be cheaper than another stand, if that's the typical fix.

An alternator/starter rebuild shop would be a source for rebuild, as well as able to advise of any improvements to beef up the motor.

I'd definitely give the retrofit a try if I could find one of these powered center stands priced reasonably.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bikerj is offline  
post #31 of 56 Old Mar 12th, 2012, 10:26 am
Senior Member
 
bikerj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Garland
Posts: 1,078
Re: REPORT: Retrofit '01 with a Power Center Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by coug66



I used a 40 amp relay. and then wired up a waterproof momentary switch.

Clean install, the button is the only visible modification.

The recessed button and pressure needed to activate the button should keep it from accidental activation

I was very fortunate to pick this stand assemble up for a cheap price. I am buying a new oil pan to move my drain plug farther forward.

I am still a little concerned that I might need to remove the motor assemble to gain access to the filter?

I left a good amount of wire slack to be able to remove the stand and not have to disconnect the wiring.
That's a really sharp looking install of that switch. Looks factory.
What did you ever figure out about changing the oil/filter?

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bikerj is offline  
post #32 of 56 Old Mar 12th, 2012, 11:16 am
Senior Member
 
deputy5211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dallas Area, TX, USA
Posts: 4,877
Re: REPORT: Retrofit '01 with a Power Center Stand

Aaahhhhhhhh.... Spring must be right around the corner. One can often tell by the increase in number of old threads being revived. ;-)

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------


'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.
*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
deputy5211 is offline  
post #33 of 56 Old Mar 12th, 2012, 11:18 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire
 
jzeiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hazel Green, AL, USA
Posts: 13,231
Re: REPORT: Retrofit '01 with a Power Center Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj
I'm guessing if one has a motor failure, then they'd possibly be better off repairing the motor or replacing it with a high torque model. Has to be cheaper than another stand, if that's the typical fix.
The motor is usually available - it is a Honda scooter starter motor. Sells for about $35.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jzeiler is offline  
post #34 of 56 Old Mar 12th, 2012, 12:24 pm
Senior Member
 
bikerj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Garland
Posts: 1,078
Re: REPORT: Retrofit '01 with a Power Center Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
Aaahhhhhhhh.... Spring must be right around the corner. One can often tell by the increase in number of old threads being revived. ;-)
Well Tony, at least the site's not structured where you have to reread the whole thread- just the ones of those who did the reviving.

BTW, I just saw an EHCS "actuator" on ebay- used for $450, then the guy has another ad for only the center stand itself for $300, again used.

Hell, by the time one found the frame/cradle ? for the actuator, enough money's been spent to have purchased a new assembly.

that $35 scooter motor sounds like a heck of a deal- definitely cheaper than having a motor professionally rebuilt.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bikerj is offline  
post #35 of 56 Old Mar 12th, 2012, 1:03 pm
Senior Member
 
deputy5211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dallas Area, TX, USA
Posts: 4,877
Re: REPORT: Retrofit '01 with a Power Center Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj
Well Tony, at least the site's not structured where you have to reread the whole thread- just the ones of those who did the reviving.
This is true. Actually, I like the idea of having a torrent of new users here every Spring, or any other time of year for that reason. Was only six or so years ago that I was the LT noob. I could not have gotten to my level of comfort with working on the LT without the fraternal support, kindness, and camaraderie of those who came before me. This is why I try to help whoever I can. Hopefully they, too, will pay it forward.

Even today, when I read post by guys like John Z. et al, I feel like a FNG!


Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj
BTW, I just saw an EHCS "actuator" on ebay- used for $450, then the guy has another ad for only the center stand itself for $300, again used.

Hell, by the time one found the frame/cradle ? for the actuator, enough money's been spent to have purchased a new assembly.

that $35 scooter motor sounds like a heck of a deal- definitely cheaper than having a motor professionally rebuilt.
Complete EHCS systems in good working order can sell for $800 and up, and there is usually pent up demand for them for retrofit purposes. $35 is a helluva deal!

Now if John happens to know the part number, I will probably order one today so I have it on hand for WHEN mine croaks. Otherwise, my luck may be that they will no longer be available!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------


'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.
*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
deputy5211 is offline  
post #36 of 56 Old May 1st, 2012, 7:34 am
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Key West, FL, USA
Posts: 9
Re: REPORT: Retrofit '01 with a Power Center Stand

Getting ready to do this upgrade, thanks to you guys! If you used a relay what was your second circuit? Can you describe your connections in a post. That would be great!
hbrector is offline  
post #37 of 56 Old May 1st, 2012, 7:57 pm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Key West, FL, USA
Posts: 9
Re: REPORT: Retrofit '01 with a Power Center Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by coug66



I used a 40 amp relay. and then wired up a waterproof momentary switch.

Clean install, the button is the only visible modification.

The recessed button and pressure needed to activate the button should keep it from accidental activation

I was very fortunate to pick this stand assemble up for a cheap price. I am buying a new oil pan to move my drain plug farther forward.

I am still a little concerned that I might need to remove the motor assemble to gain access to the filter?

I left a good amount of wire slack to be able to remove the stand and not have to disconnect the wiring.
Sorry, that was first post.....got the entire EHCS unit from a new 2009 trike project on eBay for $485!!! I am ready to begin the upgrade, so again, could you give me some idea of your connections using the relay like post 30, 85, 86, 87 or 87a? What gauge wire did you use? Where did you locate the relay?

Thanks
hbrector is offline  
post #38 of 56 Old May 1st, 2012, 10:30 pm
Senior Member
 
bikerj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Garland
Posts: 1,078
Re: REPORT: Retrofit '01 with a Power Center Stand

@hbrector-
way to go. you beat me out of that actuator on Ebay.
it's all good cause I really wasn't wanting to spend that much.
BTW, you didn't really buy the whole thing because the center stand itself is different, and you either have to buy the one for the actuator or else modify your existing one which will most likely take some welding.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bikerj is offline  
post #39 of 56 Old May 2nd, 2012, 4:21 pm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Key West, FL, USA
Posts: 9
Re: REPORT: Retrofit '01 with a Power Center Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj
@hbrector-
way to go. you beat me out of that actuator on Ebay.
it's all good cause I really wasn't wanting to spend that much.
BTW, you didn't really buy the whole thing because the center stand itself is different, and you either have to buy the one for the actuator or else modify your existing one which will most likely take some welding.
Yeah, got the stand from the same guy at $250 + ship. The whole deal came to $763.28 shipped for all of it! All the parts added up come to over $1500 and these look really "unused" so I am happy....sorry to beat you out though. Talked to an elec eng and he set me straight on the wiring, relay and switch, so I am ready to go upon receipt of parts and some new fillister-head screws. Been wanting to do this to my '99 for the past three years. It looks like I can get this installed for a little under $800! Then I'm off from Key West to Tucson!
hbrector is offline  
post #40 of 56 Old May 2nd, 2012, 4:31 pm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Key West, FL, USA
Posts: 9
Re: REPORT: Retrofit '01 with a Power Center Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj
@hbrector-
way to go. you beat me out of that actuator on Ebay.
it's all good cause I really wasn't wanting to spend that much.
BTW, you didn't really buy the whole thing because the center stand itself is different, and you either have to buy the one for the actuator or else modify your existing one which will most likely take some welding.
BTW, I really want thank everyone posting in this thread because it has really helped the rest of us and rubbed the nose of some dealers on this issue. When I ride I like to put the miles behind me, so at the end of the day putting up the K1200LT will leave me much more energy to "explore my destinations"!!

Brian
Key West
'99 K1200LTC
'97 883/1200kit Sportster
Jamis Earth Cruiser 3
hbrector is offline  
post #41 of 56 Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:16 pm
Senior Member
 
bikerj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Garland
Posts: 1,078
Re: REPORT: Retrofit '01 with a Power Center Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbrector
BTW, I really want thank everyone posting in this thread because it has really helped the rest of us and rubbed the nose of some dealers on this issue....
Hmmmm. $763 for parts + $800 installation = $1563 total for a retrofit on a '99. and this is rubbing dealers' noses? I imagine they'd be laughing cause though you might not of paid them, you're definitely paying somebody.
I don't think the dealers are getting the message, and they don't even care. I've seen more K1200lts listed on Ebay by dealerships lately, and I figure most likely someone had traded theirs in for a new K1600gtl, paying $26,000 plus, getting hosed on the trade-in and then the dealer turns around to auction off the trade-in for another ridiculous amount, which I'm sure there's someone waiting and willing to pay the asking price.

I suppose it's good for resale value. Hope it applies to the first generations as well.

Anyhow, don't mean to hijack this thread.
I hope it all comes together for you, and I wish you a safe enjoyable trip across country. Sounds like good times.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bikerj is offline  
post #42 of 56 Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:51 am
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Key West, FL, USA
Posts: 9
Re: REPORT: Retrofit '01 with a Power Center Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj
Hmmmm. $763 for parts + $800 installation = $1563 total for a retrofit on a '99. and this is rubbing dealers' noses? I imagine they'd be laughing cause though you might not of paid them, you're definitely paying somebody.
I don't think the dealers are getting the message, and they don't even care. I've seen more K1200lts listed on Ebay by dealerships lately, and I figure most likely someone had traded theirs in for a new K1600gtl, paying $26,000 plus, getting hosed on the trade-in and then the dealer turns around to auction off the trade-in for another ridiculous amount, which I'm sure there's someone waiting and willing to pay the asking price.

I suppose it's good for resale value. Hope it applies to the first generations as well.

Anyhow, don't mean to hijack this thread.
I hope it all comes together for you, and I wish you a safe enjoyable trip across country. Sounds like good times.
You misunderstood. $763 and another $30 or so in parts and will have entire retrofit done for under $800. The work I will do myself. Also, I had several dealer shops tell me it cannot be done....so much for that. I realize the legal ramifications, but they should still want to sell the parts...after all I needed some screws and washers, etc.
hbrector is offline  
post #43 of 56 Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:58 am
Senior Member
 
bikerj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Garland
Posts: 1,078
Re: REPORT: Retrofit '01 with a Power Center Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbrector
You misunderstood. $763 and another $30 or so in parts and will have entire retrofit done for under $800. The work I will do myself. Also, I had several dealer shops tell me it cannot be done....so much for that. I realize the legal ramifications, but they should still want to sell the parts...after all I needed some screws and washers, etc.
Well, that definitely sounds easier to swallow. I stand corrected.
Keep us posted of how it turns out, as well as your adventures on the road to Tucson.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bikerj is offline  
post #44 of 56 Old May 3rd, 2012, 11:00 am
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Key West, FL, USA
Posts: 9
Re: REPORT: Retrofit '01 with a Power Center Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by coug66
This forum in the classsifieds, craigslist, Ebay, or google search

Ian
Ian, I also have a '99 K1200LT and I did not have a stock crash pan underneath. Did you? Did this effect your installation in any way?

Appreciate it,

Brian
Key West
hbrector is offline  
post #45 of 56 Old May 3rd, 2012, 11:58 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire
 
jzeiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hazel Green, AL, USA
Posts: 13,231
Re: REPORT: Retrofit '01 with a Power Center Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbrector
Ian, I also have a '99 K1200LT and I did not have a stock crash pan underneath. Did you? Did this effect your installation in any way?

Appreciate it,

Brian
Key West
Even if you had the stock unit you would be removing it and throwing it away. So no impact. The actuator mounts to the skid plate frame so you need the newer frame.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jzeiler is offline  
post #46 of 56 Old May 3rd, 2012, 12:38 pm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Key West, FL, USA
Posts: 9
Re: REPORT: Retrofit '01 with a Power Center Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Even if you had the stock unit you would be removing it and throwing it away. So no impact. The actuator mounts to the skid plate frame so you need the newer frame.
Thanks for the reply. I have new EHCS unit, frame, pan etc. I watched the video of the removal and there were two hex screws on the each "side" of the skid plate frame that were removed before the EHCS would drop free from the bike (2001) and I was concerned that there were no provisions for these hex screws if there was no original skid plate or frame to start with. So you used three hex screws on the stand mount and exhaust bracket? What about the two on the skid plate frame?

Thanks again,

Brian
Key West
hbrector is offline  
post #47 of 56 Old May 3rd, 2012, 1:07 pm
Senior Member
 
New2rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kingston, PA, USA
Posts: 728
Re: REPORT: Retrofit '01 with a Power Center Stand

Anybody who does the retro from a manual to a power stand please keep me mind, I would be interested in the manual setup.

Thanks
New2rt is offline  
post #48 of 56 Old May 3rd, 2012, 1:39 pm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Key West, FL, USA
Posts: 9
Re: REPORT: Retrofit '01 with a Power Center Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2rt
Anybody who does the retro from a manual to a power stand please keep me mind, I would be interested in the manual setup.

Thanks
OK.
I will have the manual stand from a '99 K1200LT when I'm done.

Brian
Key West
hbrector is offline  
post #49 of 56 Old May 3rd, 2012, 1:48 pm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Key West, FL, USA
Posts: 9
Re: REPORT: Retrofit '01 with a Power Center Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by coug66
I just noticed my power retro stand assembly is missing the bolt and plate in the center of this picture/ 4 bolts to mount the stands ( old and new) and a big bolt in the center? what is the reason for this bolt ? what does it connect?



Does anyone know how thick the plate ( horizontal triangle with verticle bolt between the yellow arrows) is? I have mine bolted up without a spacer?

The vertical bolt that looks like it has two wires or spring going left at the top?

What purpose does it serve? My stand works great without it and I will add bushings once I determine the thickness of the plate.


Its a big bolt must be there for a reason?

Ian
Ian, did you finish this install? I have a '99 and I am getting ready to do this. I too do not have the exhaust bracket. I also have no skid plate and frame on this bike. There are two hex screws on the sides on the skid plate and frame which connect "to something" near the front end of the EHCS. The parts fiche show the as left and right connectors. did you buy these parts for your installation?....and.....how many hex screws did you use to mount the "actuator half" of this installation?

Thanks,

Brian
Key West
hbrector is offline  
post #50 of 56 Old Nov 9th, 2014, 3:42 pm
Senior Member
 
UNclebudintx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 180
Re: REPORT: Retrofit '01 with a Power Center Stand

Ok let see if we can revive this thread with a new question,, I am in the process of retrofitting a centerstand assy on my 2002 lt.. everything seems to going on ok just concerned about the clearance at the front of the centerstand and the oil pan, looks like a bump could damage the oil pan.. see photo,, should I be worried? also appears thet oil changes will be a bit more time consuming the future as the center stand will have to be dealt with.
[IMG][/IMG]

Unclebud in TX
Plainview TX
2007 Kawasaki KLX300r (dirt days)
1969 HONDA TRIAL 90 ( miles of smiles)
200? Unigo ( AKA The Pig)
2002 K1200 LT (AKA Nicci )
2004 Bushtect Roadstar (AKA Elli)
2014 R1200GSA (AKA FreeBird)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OTHER BIKE I HAVE OWNED
2004 R1150 GS (crashed) (AKA GRAY WOLF)
2004 R1150 RT ( Sold) (AKA SILVER BULLET)
1981 KAWASAKI KZ1000ST (SOLD)
1991 HARLEY SPORTSTER 883 (SOLD)


The flogging will continue untill morale improves!
UNclebudintx is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2002 k1200ltc center stand retrofit? rogerK K1200LT 14 Nov 25th, 2008 11:07 pm
Ampere Draw on a Power Center Stand midwilshire Batteries, Chargers, & Electrical 1 Jan 4th, 2007 12:49 am
Center Stand Lubrication for Pre 2005 MattKas K1200LT 9 Oct 19th, 2006 12:16 pm
Power Center stand bykerguy K1200LT 10 Jul 4th, 2006 10:57 pm
Power Center Stand - Retro Fitting? ytk K1200LT 1 Dec 23rd, 2005 11:07 am

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome