Growling in a turn - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Dec 17th, 2006, 2:11 pm Thread Starter

Growling in a turn

I'm a new owner here. I bought an '03 LT two weeks ago. It's a black beauty with all the bells and whistles. It has a new set of Metzeler 880's on it and it makes a growling noise in a turn. It makes me think of a wheel bearing noise. Anyone else experience this in their LT? And, by the way, I love this forum. It's always great to be able to talk to others who love to ride and work on their bikes, too..............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Dec 17th, 2006, 2:15 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler50
I'm a new owner here. I bought an '03 LT two weeks ago. It's a black beauty with all the bells and whistles. It has a new set of Metzeler 880's on it and it makes a growling noise in a turn. It makes me think of a wheel bearing noise. Anyone else experience this in their LT? And, by the way, I love this forum. It's always great to be able to talk to others who love to ride and work on their bikes, too..............
Are you sure the tires are BRAND NEW?? We've seen these posts many times and it's almost ALWAYS the tires.

Even a front tire with 1000-2000 miles on it can show signs of cupping or feathering and make quite a bit of noise in the corners. Especially if it was run with low pressure. You should have 42psi front and 48 rear. Even if the tire LOOKS new. Run you hand over the front and see if it feels smooth or not...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 Old Dec 17th, 2006, 2:17 pm

Smile

It is probably your tires, all metzellers will do that when you have a few miles on them, just keep the pressure at 42psi front and 48psi rear and you will get many miles out of them, most people get between 10-15k miles before changing out

post #4 of 22 Old Dec 17th, 2006, 2:18 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldan2
It is probably your tires, all metzellers will do that when you have a few miles on them, just keep the pressure at 42psi front and 48psi rear and you will get many miles out of them, most people get between 10-15k miles before changing out
Beat ya to it by two minutes LOL

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 Old Dec 17th, 2006, 2:22 pm

Tires

How new is new. Sounds like tires to me. How many miles on bike and tires?
post #6 of 22 Old Dec 17th, 2006, 6:40 pm

Growling in a turn

I have the same situation. Black '03, Metzelers on front and rear. The growling noise is common to the tires. The noise is much reduced when the tire pressure is maintained at 42 and 48 psi. The noise from the front has seemed to lessen a little once I got two or three thousand on it but I believe it will always be a sympton to some degree. This is my second set of Metzelers and their characteristics are pretty much like the first but overall are still alright with me.

I don't believe there is a tire for the LT that makes everyone happy in all categories so pick your poison and let her ride.

BuddyP
"The Carolinas"
2003 LTC "Black Beauty"
aka "Tha Motha Ship"
post #7 of 22 Old Dec 17th, 2006, 8:59 pm

It does that on mine after about 6000 miles on the tire. Growls in the curves. Think Airwolf.

It must be the Black 03 LTs

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #8 of 22 Old Dec 17th, 2006, 9:01 pm

It's the tires

I ran 45psi front / 50psi rear in my Metzelers. They wore much better, lasted WAY longer, and the growling issue almost disappeared as well. Also, running at these pressure did not compromise performance in the wet or dry either...I guarantee it.
post #9 of 22 Old Dec 17th, 2006, 9:10 pm
kip

metzler growl

i always liked the way those metzlers growl in a turn....

im going back to them as soon as the battleaxes ive got now are done

the battleaxes definitely do not make the same noise as the metzlers

Kip
99 LT
97 Shadow 1100
Jefferson, Ga
post #10 of 22 Old Dec 18th, 2006, 1:08 am
Cat Herder

Garage
Air Wolf

The noise is definitely your ME880's. If there are only a few thousand miles on the tires and they are making that much noise, then they have some uneven wear. If the pressure was to low that is the biggest culprit(under factory pressure).

The manufacture recommends 36.3psi in the front and 42-48psi in the rear, depending on the load. Thats what I run mine at and I get 11k on the rear and 13-14k on the fronts... There is no reason to run 42psi in the front and 50+ in the rear - hit some sand in a corner and you will figure it out...

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #11 of 22 Old Dec 19th, 2006, 9:09 am

Yep! I call it my lane change alert/snooze alarm system.

Alex H Lindsay
Melbourne, FL
Champagne 2001 LT
Space Coast BMW Riders
post #12 of 22 Old Dec 19th, 2006, 1:15 pm

nah, the Gold ones do it too. Keep your tire pressure up and check it often. It'll still growel some. It's normal.

Rod
post #13 of 22 Old Dec 20th, 2006, 7:00 am

Smile Growl in turns

No doubt about it ...IT"S THE TIRES! it won't hurt anything but will steadily increase in volume as the tire wears. No big deal. THe ME 880 is a great tire and known for high mileage. I don't use the Brigestones since my originals cupped real bad on the front. I think it's funny that every time there is a tire thread I read where someone else is advising "increasing" the tire pressure! At first it was 40psi Front-46Rear then 42F-48R and now 45F-50R. Pretty soon someone will get carried away and put so much pressure in the tires that the first time they hit a pothole they'll be sailing over the car in front of them! this would make a great cartoon. Ron
post #14 of 22 Old Apr 27th, 2007, 12:36 am
glo

Tyre (Tire) Noise

Sorry for "flogging a dead horse" but I,m off to The South of France in a few weeks time and even after reading through all of the relavent info on Tyre wear and noise I would be grateful for some assurance on my Symptons. My Bike is a 2004 LT (Updated Spec) which I bought second hand from a Dealer with 3700 Miles up. I didn,t notice anything a first but on the last few rides out I have begun to notice the "Growling" in Turns. The noise is accompanied by a distinct buzzing/vibration felt through the Handle Bars. The Bike now has 4500 Miles up and has the Original Metz Me 880 Tyres which I run at 36/42. I don,t think I would be happy running the Front at the suggested 42 psi as Grip and Feedback are my main Priority. I have had a good look at the Front and it looks fine to me with no evidence of the "cupping" as described by others. The Rear has loads of tread depth with only minor flattening off in the Centre. When I first heard (and felt) the Growlind my initial thought was "wheel bearing", however at only 4500 miles this seems unlikely. As the Bike was built in 2004 this means that the Tyres are now at least three years old so even with the low mileage could they be getting past their best ?. I don,t really mind spending the cash changing them if it would cure the Noise but would be disapointed if after a few thousand miles I was "back to square one". Any advice, help, suggestions and assurance will be most appreciated.
Thanks, Mike Tee
post #15 of 22 Old Apr 27th, 2007, 12:51 am

Mike, you've got to go with 42 PSI in the front and 48 PSI in the rear tire.
You will be nicely surprised.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #16 of 22 Old Apr 27th, 2007, 9:24 am
glo

Thanks Gilles and Kathy, I,ll try that and let you know the result.
Mike Tee
post #17 of 22 Old Apr 27th, 2007, 5:55 pm

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Gotta lean me over Morrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Scrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrape my pegs.
:-))))
Bob
post #18 of 22 Old Apr 28th, 2007, 8:28 am

I bet it is your tires. I had the exact same thing with metzlers. When you bank into a turn, it sounds like you have snow tires on the bike. Mine got so bad that my rear rotor was sent into some goofy oscillation thing that made me wonder if I was starting to have transmision problems.

I had about 8K miles on the tires... They say metzlers are good for 20K miles. I had all sorts of tread left.

I replaced the tires and all the issues went away.
post #19 of 22 Old Apr 28th, 2007, 8:45 am

Dragon Growl

Going through the Dragon yesterday about 4x I noticed the growling was there.... I can't say I was real worried...as when I stopped I checked the tires, and they looked great. My rear has pulled the trailer the last 3k miles wonderfully. The front tire looks great....but can't be sure.

I am currently in the Dealership waiting area why they are giving my baby a transfusion in the engine and gear, and putting some new shoes on her. So, I will tell you when I pull out of here if th growling is gone or not.

Tires are not cheap....but they are cheaper than a helicopter flight to the nearest med center.

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name
post #20 of 22 Old Apr 28th, 2007, 10:14 am
glo

Just back from a 100 mile Trip with the Me 880,s at 42/48. No difference to the Growling but a big difference to the Ride. On anything other than "Billiards Table" smooth roads which are like Rocking Horse Crap in the U.K these days its like riding on Cobbles and not comfortable at all. What little Front End feedback there was with tyres at 36/42 has disappeared. Sorry Guys but it,s back to 36/42 and a new Front Metz on order.
Thanks Anyway
Mike Tee
post #21 of 22 Old Apr 28th, 2007, 3:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip
i always liked the way those metzlers growl in a turn....

im going back to them as soon as the battleaxes ive got now are done

the battleaxes definitely do not make the same noise as the metzlers

You are sick! Do you know that your name means chicken in Dutch?

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #22 of 22 Old Apr 28th, 2007, 5:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler50
After I replaced the stock tires on my 2000 Lt with ME880's I got 10,000 miles out of them but they started that growling in turns. It was the front that was making all the racket, it was cupped pretty good and both the front and back still had plenty of meat on them. I had the back repaired a time or two and figured it was time to replace them, I had run 42 in the front and 48 in the back. I replaced them with Avons radials, which seemed to take forever to break in. It was like riding on a razor blade, the least little bit of lean they wanted to go that away, Now that they are broke in I love them. I know I probably wont get the mileage out of them that I did from the Metzlers, but they are hands down better in the rain, they dont break loose under hard acceleration in turns as I leave from a standstill and the have a road hazard warranty on them, something Metzler doesnt offer. I am still running 42 in the front and 48 in the back. When these wear out I'm going to get another set, they track straight, no noise and there great on grooved roads, just give them time to break in, it took mine about 300 miles before they settled down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in