Fuel Filling Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old Dec 17th, 2006, 9:26 am Thread Starter

Question Fuel Filling Question

No, not another "How do I REALLY fill the tank?" question. This is a technique question since I seemed to have damaged my tank.

This is a picture looking down into the filler spout:

The ring is cracked in the 10 O'Clock position. The dealer said they have never seen this before, but they are going to replace the tank under warranty . I told them I always place the fuel nozzle into the spout and let it click in and rest there just like I fill my cage. Then when the pump shuts off, I pull back the vapor recovery boot and fill to the bottom of the spout. The dealer tells me they don't know anyone that fills a motorcycle this way. I should be pulling the boot back right from the beginning and filling the entire tank that way. Never rest the nozzle in the spout the way you would with a cage.

I had never heard this before. Anyone else? Are you supposed to support the nozzle the entire time the tank is filling? Not a big deal, but I've never caught on to that. There is nothing about this in the owners manual. Did I not catch this somewhere in my countless hours of reading here? It is cracked exactly where the nozzle rests, so it makes sense I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks for any help.

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old Dec 17th, 2006, 9:54 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Well we don't have the vapor recovery boots here in this part of the country. ( But I remember them from my CA days.) When I did use those I always held the boot fully back until I was through filling the tank. Yeah it was a pain.

Even though we don't have the boots here I never just leave the nozzle hanging on the tank. It only take a few seconds to fill it up so I always hold on to it to support it. But right there is where I put the tip of the nozzle.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #3 of 28 Old Dec 17th, 2006, 10:12 am

Dan,

I fill my LT (and my Harley) just the same way as you describe. Never had a problem with the Harley, but it is a metal tank and metal neck. I'm new to the LT, so have not had time to see what happens if I continue with this filling methodology.

I, too, am interested to see what input this community has to share.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #4 of 28 Old Dec 17th, 2006, 8:22 pm

I too fill up my tank the way you described.
My tank ring has a crack where yours has a crack. The dealer also said he had never seen this before, and didn't want to replace while the bike was under warranty, but he also explains that this crack didn't matter at all, and after looking closely I have to agree. No leak will happen there as this is just a guide for the gas nozzle.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #5 of 28 Old Dec 17th, 2006, 8:48 pm

FWIW, no crack in my tank ring -- but I have always supported the nozzle/hose.
post #6 of 28 Old Dec 17th, 2006, 8:56 pm

No crack on mine, but never leave it in or trust the auto shutoff.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #7 of 28 Old Dec 18th, 2006, 12:25 am

On my 05" the first week I had it as I was sticking the nozzel in the tank it slipped out of my grip went sideways and cracked the inner ring. When I removed the nozzel the plastic ring came out with it. Best thing that ever happened. It is just a plastic piece that is not part of the tank's side wall it's just so you don't put leaded gas in it. I can now see into the tank as I fill up and is much easier to fill. Just snap it out.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #8 of 28 Old Dec 18th, 2006, 7:38 am

Thanks for the Heads-Up

I have always just left the fill-up nozzle in the tank and depended upon the auto shut off the do its job. Never had a problem, but will now hold on to it, just to be sure. No cracks, but I plan to keep the bike for a while longer. Appreciate you sharing the information.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #9 of 28 Old Dec 18th, 2006, 9:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
I have always just left the fill-up nozzle in the tank and depended upon the auto shut off the do its job.
Same here but I support the nozzel/hose while filling, then pull back vapor recovery boot and top off.

FYI: I fill up while sitting on the bike, keeps tank level so I can get maximum fuel in, easier to see into tank and easy to support nozzel.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

post #10 of 28 Old Dec 18th, 2006, 12:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatson
On my 05" the first week I had it as I was sticking the nozzel in the tank it slipped out of my grip went sideways and cracked the inner ring. When I removed the nozzel the plastic ring came out with it. Best thing that ever happened. It is just a plastic piece that is not part of the tank's side wall it's just so you don't put leaded gas in it. I can now see into the tank as I fill up and is much easier to fill. Just snap it out.
Same here on the inner ring thingy. It was dangling there by a final bit of plastic. I just reached in with bare fingers and pulled it out. It's paper thin. It almost seems like it's just left over swarf from the molding process. Don't worry about it. Maybe its there to prevent putting leaded gas in the tank.

-----------------------------------------

The word motorcycle is a verb.

2005 K1200LT "Rolf"
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge
post #11 of 28 Old Dec 18th, 2006, 1:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougholck
..FYI: I fill up while sitting on the bike, keeps tank level so I can get maximum fuel in ...
I think that I read in the manual that you get maximum fuel when you fill the tank on the side stand. When I first starting riding the LT I would always fill on the center stand and couldn't figure out why I couldn't get the fuel guage to register full. Then I read the manual and discovered why. YMMV

Edit: I did a quick search on +fuel +side+stand
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...uel+side+stand
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...uel+side+stand

2018 K1600GTL
2012 K1600GTL (retired)
2003 K1200LT (retired)

IBA # 35048

Last edited by kaygee; Dec 18th, 2006 at 1:37 pm.
post #12 of 28 Old Oct 31st, 2013, 4:50 pm

Re: Fuel Filling Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglenn1
No, not another "How do I REALLY fill the tank?" question. This is a technique question since I seemed to have damaged my tank.

The ring is cracked in the 10 O'Clock position. The dealer said they have never seen this before, but they are going to replace the tank under warranty . I told them I always place the fuel nozzle into the spout and let it click in and rest there just like I fill my cage. Then when the pump shuts off, I pull back the vapor recovery boot and fill to the bottom of the spout. The dealer tells me they don't know anyone that fills a motorcycle this way. I should be pulling the boot back right from the beginning and filling the entire tank that way. Never rest the nozzle in the spout the way you would with a cage.

I had never heard this before. Anyone else? Are you supposed to support the nozzle the entire time the tank is filling? Not a big deal, but I've never caught on to that. There is nothing about this in the owners manual. Did I not catch this somewhere in my countless hours of reading here? It is cracked exactly where the nozzle rests, so it makes sense I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks for any help.
Perhaps I can add a bit of information???? I'm an instructor pilot and many aircraft have a
similar ring on the fuel tank. I always instruct those fueling to hold the nozzle. For the same reason you have now experienced. Not so much for cracks but bending, which will
lead to leaking at altitude.....I've adopted the same procedure for my LT when I saw the ring...Take Care
post #13 of 28 Old Oct 31st, 2013, 5:05 pm

I too, always hold the nozzle while I am filling up any of my bikes. Never put that little lock on and leave it there to auto-shutoff to click.
Also I realized something else during my recent (last week's) trip to Missouri.
Here in CA you can adjust the speed of the flow with the most of the nozzles. After entering AZ then in UT, CO, KS, MO, TX, OK it was always the case that the nozzles seem to have only two settings Full ON or OFF...
Thank God I was filling up my RV.
If it was a motorcycle it is impossible to fill up to the bottom of the neck or the last 1/4 gal without splashing all over the place....

Anybody noticed this?

Capt.Jim
2018 R1200 GSA
--------------------------
'18 R1200RT
'18 K1600GTL
'16 R1200GSA
'14 R1200RT
'12 K1600GTL
'06 R1200GS
'03 R1150RT-P
'07 K1200LT
'05 R1150RT-P
'99 HONDA Valkyrie
'06 R1150RT-P
'05 K1200LT
'05 HONDA Goldwing GL1800
'99 HONDA Valkyrie Interstate
'98 HONDA SHADOW
'98 YAMAHA Super Tenere
'93 HONDA CBR 1000F
'91 HONDA Transalp
'88 JAWA 500

Last edited by CaptJDavis; Oct 31st, 2013 at 9:00 pm.
post #14 of 28 Old Nov 1st, 2013, 4:32 pm

Quote:

Thanks for any help.
I use same technique as you described, but always hold the nozzle pushed against the spout - straight down until it clicks, then pull back the boot to finish up fueling.
52K miles so far with no signs of damage.
BJ

BJ
2015 R Nine T
2007 LT Storm Grey
2005 LT Gold (traded in for '07)
2007 G 650 Xchallenge
post #15 of 28 Old Nov 1st, 2013, 6:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

Thanks for any help.
You are doing something very wrong. I have never "hung" the nozzle from any motorcycle I have ever owned. I always hold the nozzle as I fill the tank. I ride regularly with probably 20 other riders and I have never seen one do what you do. I would not think of doing that on a bike with a plastic fuel tank. And even my old metal tank bikes I wouldn't do that for fear of chipping the paint.

I'll have to check my owner's manual next time I am at the bike to see if it has any instructions regarding filling the tank.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #16 of 28 Old Nov 1st, 2013, 8:51 pm

Holy Thread Resurrection, Batman!

This thread started and ended nearly 7 years ago!!

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #17 of 28 Old Nov 1st, 2013, 8:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee510

Rightrudder2 has been digging in the archives.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #18 of 28 Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 12:07 am

Gotta love those similar threads at the bottom of the posts!

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #19 of 28 Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 9:20 am

I trusted the auto shut-off once and I got my bike covered in fuel. I hold the nozzle always now. And fueling on the sidestand will allow you to get more fuel in as it puts the inlet on the top. Makes sense, eh.............

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #20 of 28 Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 9:23 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
I'll have to check my owner's manual next time I am at the bike to see if it has any instructions regarding filling the tank.

The manual gives no guidance on how to hold the nozzle, but I am with you on this. But is does state "...on the side stand." It also cautions not to fill above the ring to allow for expansion. I never dangle the nozzle in the tank. For as long as it takes to fill I can hold it. Besides the fuel level sending unit is very close to where the end of a fully inserted nozzle will be, easy to dent it.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #21 of 28 Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 1:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee510

That's one of the things that keeps this board interesting.
How many times have you searched the Hall of Wisdom and followed a 5 year old topic to the answer you were looking for? I've done that more than once. Very helpful.

The poets claim that history repeats itself, and it's always interesting to see a revived topic that we've forgotten about. Sometimes it's even funny when looked at through the 20/20 hindsight glasses.

Ride safe!
post #22 of 28 Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 7:29 pm

Fueling with the motorcycle on the side stand is the preferred method. Also, it is advisable to always stand beside any motorcycle while filling the gas tank. In the event there is a massive overfill due to nozzle failure or in the extreme event of a fire you are not trapped on top of the motorcycle. Safety is always the most important issue.

Ride Safely,
Steve

'09 K1200LT "Clyde"
'03 K1200LT (totaled out 3-16-11) "The Beast"
'97 K1100LT (104,000) "Red Ryder" (Sold Feb 2013)
'09 KLR 650 "Killer"
'05 KLR 250 "Lil' Killer"
'09 Kymco People 200 S "Wife's Trainer"
'09 Kymco xCiting 500i "Wife's next step"

It is amazing what a little "throttle therapy" will do for you.
post #23 of 28 Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 3:19 am

I was under the impression that inserting the nozzle deep into the tank could possibly have the tip of the nozzle dent the float tube?

I know that the charcoal canister plugging can cause the tank to suck in and damage the lower area of the float tube.

53 MPG and life just keeps getting better

2001 Triumph Sprint ST [sold]
2000 K1200LT 'Nimitz'
post #24 of 28 Old Nov 4th, 2013, 10:24 pm

as Smitty said... I have NEVER sat on any bike while fueling it. Fire and possibly saturated balls is not the safest thing to do. ALWAYS have a way out. Stepping away is easier than climbing off in a hurry
post #25 of 28 Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 2:48 pm

I guess I will have to revive this thread again. I have a 2005 LT with 38000 miles on it that is new to me. I have noticed that when I fuel the bike I can only fill it to the auto-shut off. If I try to add any more fuel ( i.e. Fill it to the neck) the bike will stumble and hesitate for about fifty mile before it will return to normal. Has anyone had this experience or any suggestions as to the cause of this problem.
post #26 of 28 Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 4:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkyJohn View Post
I guess I will have to revive this thread again. I have a 2005 LT with 38000 miles on it that is new to me. I have noticed that when I fuel the bike I can only fill it to the auto-shut off. If I try to add any more fuel ( i.e. Fill it to the neck) the bike will stumble and hesitate for about fifty mile before it will return to normal. Has anyone had this experience or any suggestions as to the cause of this problem.
You might need to look into doing a canisterectomy.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #27 of 28 Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 6:48 pm

Wink Re: Fuel Filling Question

No canister on Australian spec bikes. Place bike on side stand (tilt to left). Fill carefully holding the fuel gun so no forces transmitted into the tank or flange. When "full" push the bike slightly further over to the left and top off till its "chock full". Best initial distance to empty after this - 511 Km's, and the bar graph is right to the top. Caltex Vortex 98 or BP Ultimate 98

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #28 of 28 Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 7:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk610lt View Post
You might need to look into doing a canisterectomy.
I have considered a canisterectomy. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem and cured it by removing the canister.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in