Buying a 1999 K1200LT What To Look Out For - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Dec 16th, 2006, 7:54 pm Thread Starter

Buying a 1999 K1200LT What To Look Out For

Dear Members. I am new to this group and have been told if you ask a question you will get a straight answer. I am looking to buy a 1999 LT with only 10K miles on it and with every picture I have seen it looks like new. I am told there have been only 2 owners and he is selling only because his is buying a K1200GS to replace his LT. Here is my question. What problems could I have with this bike? What would you think it is worth in great condition with only 10k miles on it? Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Dec 16th, 2006, 9:11 pm

That isn't very many miles for a 1999, my biggest concern would probably be that the fluids were changed frequently enough. Particularly the brake fluid since water in the fluid could cause problems with the ABS unit. The coolant would be second on my list since the corrosion inhibitors will wear out over time. Assuming the fluids have been changed on schedule there are only a couple of things that I can think of that you should be aware of.

1. The starter solenoid on the early bikes can stick if you try to start the bike with a low battery voltage. There is an upgraded solenoid that you can install...the cost is about $200.

2. The clutch slave cylinders are prone to leak on many of the early bikes as well as the 2005's. The slave cylinder is only about a $85 part but the leak can contaminate the clutch and result in a $1500 bill at the dealer. Check to make sure the clutch is not slipping. After you get the bike plan to attend a local tech. session to drill a weep hole for the clutch slave cylinder to eliminate the possiblity of ruin a clutch.

3. Some of the early bikes (<10%) have had final drive bearing failures at pretty low mileage. Check for fluid leaking from the rear drive on the rear wheel.

4. Test the ABS function of the bike. The ABS unit is expensive to replace. The ABS lights should flash when you start the bike but should go out when you start moving.

5. Check the bottom of the engine for any oil leakage. A leak between the engine and transmission can also damage the clutch.

I'm sure others will chime in with better advice.

Good Luck,
Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Dec 16th, 2006, 10:33 pm

Check when was last maint. if more than a year I'd change out all the fluids and give the rubber a real close look..
Price? A week before Christmas, bike is 8 years old. I'd go 5-6K Hey it's a buyers market between Turkey and Santa. I'm not ashamed to take advantage of it . If they wait till the 23rd it goes down to 4K
Rock

post #4 of 12 Old Dec 18th, 2006, 7:08 am

Early models had a few problems with the radio-cd unit and some with intercom wiring. If the bike is a standard 5-6 thousand is probably a fair price. Don't expect the owner will think that. If it is a custom then most likely the owner will expect a higher price especially with the low miles. In this case low miles aren't really a good thing. Good luck.
post #5 of 12 Old Dec 18th, 2006, 10:20 am

By design, the speedo reads about 10% to high.

See if a crash pan was installed. My 2000 didn't come with one. BMW offered them for free, via a dealer, for a while. I hit it every once in a while, going over a speed bump.

The local dealership replaced my defective starter relay; they replaced the poorly programmed computer chip, with a newer one, so that the engine does not hesitate during warm wx.

If the bike didn't come with a heated seat, the wiring harness is not set up for a simply replacing the stock seat with a heated seat.

Bob
post #6 of 12 Old Dec 18th, 2006, 12:20 pm

I purchased a 2000 LT last November (2005) with 8500 miles on it for $6900. It did not have heated seats, and the mechanism for adjusting the windshield was broken--a fact I was aware of. I bought some heated seats, and was able to get the rider and passenger seats used for $300, and I was able to get the windshield adjuster used for $300 more. The adjuster new is closer to $600. I think the advise given before is good advise. I love my bike, BUT, now the ABS lights flash, and it seems as though my only avenue is to spend $2000 to fix it, or live with it until I can get a new bike. SO, make sure the ABS unit is working. Mine was when I bought it, but quit working after about 7000 miles. In my humble opinion, $7500 or less would be a good buy on it. Best of Luck! I am sure you will love it. jrlakin
post #7 of 12 Old Dec 18th, 2006, 3:30 pm

Check the Fuild resivoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlakin
I purchased a 2000 LT last November (2005) with 8500 miles on it for $6900. It did not have heated seats, and the mechanism for adjusting the windshield was broken--a fact I was aware of. I bought some heated seats, and was able to get the rider and passenger seats used for $300, and I was able to get the windshield adjuster used for $300 more. The adjuster new is closer to $600. I think the advise given before is good advise. I love my bike, BUT, now the ABS lights flash, and it seems as though my only avenue is to spend $2000 to fix it, or live with it until I can get a new bike. SO, make sure the ABS unit is working. Mine was when I bought it, but quit working after about 7000 miles. In my humble opinion, $7500 or less would be a good buy on it. Best of Luck! I am sure you will love it. jrlakin
jrlakin
Did you check the fluid resivouir for the brakes (Not on the Handle bars) but under the Pillon seat and behind the right Pillon foot peg ?

ABS will flash if fluid is just a tad low on these big girls.
It must be at the full mark.

Did you check the b

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."
post #8 of 12 Old Dec 18th, 2006, 3:52 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
The low brake fluid warning is on the Integral brakes, that is '02 and newer. The '99-'01 bikes don't have this sensor, so it never registers a failure. Possible causes are low battery voltage, or a valve sticking inside the ABS unit.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 12 Old Dec 18th, 2006, 4:32 pm

I have checked the fluid levels on the brakes, and they are fine. Actually, the first time my abs lights wouldn't quit flashing after start up, I was at my Dealer, because I had a front fork seal that was replaced. He rechecked my fluid levels, and reset the unit. I rode it for about 2000 miles after that with no problems, and while I was on a trip in Tennessee, the lights started flashing again--or more correctly, just woudn't stop flashing after start up. I took it back to the dealer, and again he rechecked the fluids, and reset abs unit. Rode it for another 1500 miles or so before it started again. I was told if it did it again, he (the dealer) would do a brake flush and reset one more time, and if that didn't cure the problem, a replacement was next---or tape over the flashing lights!! I haven't been back to the dealer since this last occurance. I am over 100 miles away, and just haven't had time to make an appointment. He did tell me the abs unit new was $1600 plus labor. I won't replace it for that on a bike as old as mine is. BTW, my battery is fine. I do appreciate all the advise though. This is a great web site to learn and share with others. The collective knowledge here is superb!!!! Thanks to all. jrlakin
post #10 of 12 Old Dec 19th, 2006, 8:07 pm

Opps

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
The low brake fluid warning is on the Integral brakes, that is '02 and newer. The '99-'01 bikes don't have this sensor, so it never registers a failure. Possible causes are low battery voltage, or a valve sticking inside the ABS unit.

My Bad forgot about the ABSII on the 99-01
Thanks for the correction Meese

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."
post #11 of 12 Old Dec 19th, 2006, 11:24 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
No problem. We just try and keep the technical details straight, both for the original poster and anyone who may come across the thread later.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #12 of 12 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 3:31 pm Thread Starter

Hello everyone. Thank you for your replies and input. I just purchased my 99 K1200LT with only 10K on it. This bike is pristine and has always been stored next to a private jet in a temperature controlled hanger. This bike is sweet and I purchased it for 8k. Very happy with my purchase. I am having the dealer perform the 12K check-up now to make sure everything is good. I am having all fluids changed and the dealer told me that they have serviced this bike since 5K was on it. Thanks again for all your help and looking forward to riding in the spring...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in