Need Comments on LT to GSA - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Dec 15th, 2006, 12:49 pm Thread Starter

Question Need Comments on LT to GSA

The only bikes I had was GL1500 (16000 miles) and a K1200LT for (100,000 miles) from 1999. I ride at 80 mph (corrected) on roads that allow it by feel, and just short of scraping in the corners. How would this life style fit in with a GSA? Hope to go to Alaska Too.

DON
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Dec 15th, 2006, 1:17 pm

Not that I've owned a GS or GSA, but I think you would absolutely be in awe at the weight difference. The two things that you're won't like though is a) the lack of wind/rain protection; and b) 4-cylinder smooooothness.
post #3 of 8 Old Dec 15th, 2006, 1:38 pm

I have both

From my perspective:

I have a 99 LT and a 03 GSA. I thought the GSA would be the best all round bike when I got it and in most respects it is.

However, since getting the LT, it's (the LT) become my commute bike and the LD bike. It makes an excellent LD bike with the extra fuel (~11 gallons) and being able to have the Sirius radio broadcast to the built in FM. The wind protection is also better. Heated grips, and 2 sets of PIAAs help.

The GS is still a fun bike, and the fishing bike. Cornering is better, the suspension is in a different category completely, and the brakes are much much better. It's become my weekend bike. The large tank makes the Nevada trips much more easy on planning than the non-adventure. It's enough of a road bike to make getting anywhere to go fishing, DVD, things like that, comfortable and not a problem. It's easier to work on. It also has heated grips and seat and aux lights.

hope this helps
Joe

post #4 of 8 Old Dec 15th, 2006, 4:21 pm

I had both - sold LT

I loved my '05 LT and did several 1,000 mile days on her but when the '06 GS Adv arrived I quit riding the LT and nearly all the other bikes.

The GS Adventure is now the bike I ride to work & do all my LD riding on. It is the only bike I have ever owned that I have done over 1,000 miles a day on and not wanted to get off. The weather protection is close to the LT if not better. The new R12GS Adv has much improved wind protection verses the the GS, but I do miss the 'lectric windshield.

2-UP
Kaye actually prefers to ride pillion on the GS verses the LT - her only complaint is no heated seats and I will be fxing that this winter.

I'd never have attempted to ride the Dempster with the LT:

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old Dec 15th, 2006, 6:02 pm

In difference to the prior poster, I owned my R1200GS (not Adventure) before I bought my 2002 LT.

When going from my LT to the GS, the difference in weight is astounding. With the GS, the combination of weight and turning radius really allows incredible manueverablity that just isn't possible with the LT (it has a different design purpose).

I must say that if I was allowed to have only one bike, it would be a GS. Touring (with hard cases attached), off-road, sporty-performance riding...the GS does all those things very well. The LT is a very nimble big bike but it is first and foremost a luxo-tourer.

If possible, find a way to have both! Do you really need to buy the $20K Adventure? There have been lots of 1200GS's sold since 2005. There are plenty of good used 1200GS's on the market for $13-14K that have super-low miles. Consider an R1150GS you can find clean, low mileage used examples for $8-10K.

GS & LT........best of both worlds!

Mike M

2007 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #6 of 8 Old Dec 15th, 2006, 11:34 pm

LT to GSA

I have both- 03 LT & 02 GSA. Had the LT first.

I ride 80% two up. I am 6'4" and 290, wife is 5'8" and 140.

My Lt has Wilber shocks and handles well on the highway and the mountains. Almost too well- burned up two rear Bridgestone 020 tires in the mountains.

My GSA has Linier Wound springs( not stock) to cover my weight.

ride-
the LT is
wonderful on trips,
heated everything, radio etc.
It's weight is an asset on the interstate and wind conditions. It gets 43+ MPG two up.
It is smooth and almost vibration free.
60+ in 1st gear.
burns premium fuel

the GSA-
is tall
weighs 350lbs less!!!!!
the 8 gallon tank will last longer than my but, and has a fairly high CG.
it corners like crazy!!!! I have wear marks out to the edges of the tires and still haven't drug anything on the bike. I guess the added suspension travel makes this possible?
Love the engine torque and braking!!!
Brakes are NOT as good as the LT. (this is the 2002 GSA, the 1200 GSA is a different animal).
Have to add all the electronic farkles and there's very few places to hide them. Tight, but do-able.
46 mpg.+ on mid-grade fuel

Which would I keep? BOTH IF POSSIBLE.

Wife prefers the LT, and I have to admit, it's a great bike.
Solo- the GSA is a blast. You can horse it around pretty easy, and turns are pure fun.

My GSA is the Black & yellow and I really love the color combo!!!! I get a lot of compliments on it. The LT is Anthracite. Pretty enough, but black sure is nice when it's clean.

David Major
Charleston, SC
-2003 LT
-2007 GS Adventure. White
post #7 of 8 Old Dec 16th, 2006, 8:26 am

I own both. Along with several others. I own all that are listed below my name here actually. Have had others.......Anyway, If you can swing it get both. But here is the deal, and I ride a lot like you, If I could have only one bike it would be the GS. Of course its not as smooth as the LT but I have ridden it 500+ mile days comfortably( lots of options including larger wind screen and Ohlin shocks) make a great deal of difference.

The GS will go anywhere the LT will go and a whole lot of other places, like mountain trails and through shallow creeks and dirt roads and across the farm pasture and .........................It is no doubt the best all around BMW there is.

Tom

2003 R1150RT, Black Beauty--this is one sexy bike!
1999 R1100GSA, Does everything well, what else can one say?
1992 K75SA, If this engine had been 4-valve instead of 2, it would be the smoothest BMW ever built!
1978 R100S, my first and favorite BMW.
1976 R75/6, A 30 year old gentlemen I still love to take out for a Sunday ride.
post #8 of 8 Old Dec 16th, 2006, 8:37 am

owning both, I can boil it down to this:

If you want to maximize comfort and do alot of LD, get the LT, else the GS.

The GS is comfortable enough, and will do LD, just not quite as comfortable as the LT when doing it. In all other respects the GS wins.

The only ammenity I truly miss is a "true" cruise control on the long days on the slab.

The GS is comfortable, agile, quick, fun, light.

What YOU must do is ride both, ignore us, and do what your heart tells you

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in