Bike sat for 4 months brake warning light is on - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Dec 15th, 2006, 10:37 am Thread Starter

Question Bike sat for 4 months brake warning light is on

My 2003 Bmw K1200lt has sat for 4 months. I did start it a few times and just charged the battery with a battery tender Jr. The brake warning light and the warning light flash back and forth. I disconected the battery for a few minutes, no help. It starts and runs fine. The battery is 3-4 years old. What is this?, only 8900 miles. thanks Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Dec 15th, 2006, 11:00 am

Lightbulb

Jim, it is the battery!

As the bike sat for a few months without a battery tender it lost some capacity. Also at about 4 years of age it is pretty safe to say you need to replace the battery anyway! Your radio may also start acting weird when the battery is weak.
All the electronics on the bike rely heavily on the battery, definitely including the brake system.
You will find some info on new batteries on this site, what type and where to buy. You gave the choice between Lead-acid or gel, etc...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Dec 15th, 2006, 11:05 am

A few suggestions:
  • Take the bike out for a good long ride. See if that clears the cobwebs.
  • Give the battery a real charge. Use a 2-amp charger overnight. Preferably one with over-charge protection built-in.
  • Replace the battery if necessary.
  • Make sure your rear brake fluid reservoirs are full . . . and I mean FULL. My '02 would flash the lights when the fluid dropped just an oz. or two.
HTH

post #4 of 12 Old Dec 15th, 2006, 1:03 pm

If you still have the alternating blinking light condition after checking the fluid level, getting a full charge on the battery or replacing it, take it to the dealer and have them reset the fault condition. They will run a full diagnostic on the ABS and reset the fault inidications. You should be good to go. I had to do just that after the blinky light condition started on mine in April, after fluid checks and battery replacement. Cost me $35.

Seems the ABS unit doesn't like low, low, low voltage levels. JM2CW

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #5 of 12 Old Dec 15th, 2006, 1:28 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
A few suggestions:
  • Take the bike out for a good long ride. See if that clears the cobwebs.
  • Give the battery a real charge. Use a 2-amp charger overnight. Preferably one with over-charge protection built-in.
  • Replace the battery if necessary.
  • Make sure your rear brake fluid reservoirs are full . . . and I mean FULL. My '02 would flash the lights when the fluid dropped just an oz. or two.
HTH
Like Joe says check both rear brake reservoirs, but your most likely culprit is the battery. If it's over three years old it's time for a new one...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #6 of 12 Old Dec 15th, 2006, 2:34 pm Thread Starter

Question follow up on brake light-2003 K1200Lt

I charged up the battery to what the charger said was full charge.(2 amp.). Light still on. I filled up the front and rear brakes fluid-it took very little. Light still on. Battery?
post #7 of 12 Old Dec 15th, 2006, 2:47 pm

Starting to sound like Steve is right. (A gold star, and an "atta boy!" ) Get the fault reset at the stealer.
post #8 of 12 Old Dec 15th, 2006, 3:03 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuffalo
I charged up the battery to what the charger said was full charge.(2 amp.). Light still on. I filled up the front and rear brakes fluid-it took very little. Light still on. Battery?
Does the bike start up right away or does it seem like the battery is weak and struggling to start the bike? Just because the charger says it full doesn't mean it is.

Have the dealer do a load test on the battery and reset the lights. You probably do need a new one...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #9 of 12 Old Dec 16th, 2006, 5:34 pm

It happened to me a few months ago on my 'RS: I stopped the bike by lowering the kickstand and got so involved in a conversation that I did not turn the ignition off for several minutes (with headlight and extra driving lights blazing).

Upon restart, the ABS lights started flashing - battery was sucked down by then.

Once an error code sets, there is nothing one can do himself. I rode to the dealer and had him reset the ABS controller. Not expensive, just inconvenient.

R.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #10 of 12 Old Dec 16th, 2006, 6:21 pm

Have you moved the bike or is it sitting static. The lights will flash until the bike is under way.

Airborne "Never Forget"
Vonore, TN

2003 LT-E "HLZ BNZ"
2004 Rune "PNS EXTN"
1970 ZA-50 "JR"

post #11 of 12 Old Dec 16th, 2006, 8:11 pm

Worth repeating what Airborne said- You GOTTA ride it to see if it resets. If it does reset after a few minutes, that is a NORMAL occurrence, and my R1200C did it all the time after sitting for a week or so. I think it said so in the 1200C's manual.
post #12 of 12 Old Dec 17th, 2006, 1:29 pm

Please reread the original post. His lights are in Wig-Wag mode and not both blinking at the same time which is waiting for the bike to be ridden off and the diagnostics to complete. Wig-Wag indicates an ABS failure which can be caused by low levels in the brake resivior, a failed ABS pump or a low battery. If the condition is caused by a low battery, the only way it will be reset is by taking it to the dealer and having them running diags on the ABS and resetting the brake fault.

Also, the normal blinking lights should go out in less than 2 revolutions of the wheels and is probably less than that. Alternating flashing lights with low brake fluid levels may or may not go out upon being ridden any length of time. Bad ABS pump or hard ABS faults caused by a low battery WILL ONLY go out upon being reset at the dealer.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Last edited by Steve_R; Dec 17th, 2006 at 1:39 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in