First gear - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Dec 14th, 2006, 2:22 pm Thread Starter

First gear

I have hard time putting the bike on fisrt gear. This is my first BMW. Am I doing something wrong or do you think I should ask the dealer to adjust it? I have a K 1200 LT 2005. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Dec 14th, 2006, 2:32 pm

I had a hard time when I first got on the bike too. I'm not sure of the physics, but if it won't pop into 1st, SLOWLY release the clutch A LITTLE at a time and keep trying - it'll pop in. Obviously, don't let it out too much unless you want to see it stall (and you'll probably end up in a heap on the ground after it tips over).
I rode a Honda for 2 years before the LT and have never heard of this. I guess it's just a little touchy. You'll get the hang of it.
Reverse is the same way. If it doesn't want to click into reverse, roll it forward or backward SLOWLY until the lever kicks into R.
post #3 of 10 Old Dec 14th, 2006, 3:05 pm

Thumbs up You have to get used to it.

provencale,
I had trouble too as I waited to hear the THUD of it going into first like my roadglide harley did.

On my 03 LT I find that if I engage QUICK after squeezing the clutch lever it'll go right in. All works better if there is some movement of the gears when engaging into first.

You'll get the hang of it in short order.
Vern

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====

post #4 of 10 Old Dec 14th, 2006, 3:12 pm

Same with me on my old 99. I just looked at the gear shift indicator which was accurate 90% of the time.
post #5 of 10 Old Dec 14th, 2006, 3:59 pm

This is normal. As per my dealer, put a small amount of pressure down on the shifter and let the clutch out very slowly. You will feel it pop into gear easily. Whatever you do...don't jam down on the shifter to make it go into gear. You will find many, many threads here about broken shift linkage. Welcome to the site!

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #6 of 10 Old Dec 14th, 2006, 4:42 pm
Ted

While seated on the bike, double clutch and roll the bike slightly forwards and back (just on the balls of your feet) and she'll drop right into 1st!

Do not try to force it or you run the risk of breaking the shift linkage.

Be gentle!!

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #7 of 10 Old Dec 14th, 2006, 6:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
While seated on the bike, double clutch and roll the bike slightly forwards and back (just on the balls of your feet) and she'll drop right into 1st!

Do not try to force it or you run the risk of breaking the shift linkage.

Be gentle!!
In addition to Tads post, I often have to (while in N) just let the clutch out, pull it in and she goes right in to first!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #8 of 10 Old Dec 14th, 2006, 6:52 pm

I read somewhere on this sight that if you only slightly pull in on the clutch lever (approx. 1/4") that you will feel it engage 1st, then you can give the lever a good squeeze if you need to whilst you prepare for departure. Works for me every time. The "slight" clutch pull also helped in the dreaded full throttle neutral between 1st and 2nd (DOH!)
post #9 of 10 Old Dec 15th, 2006, 2:48 am

sometime you have to rock it foward and backward just a little to get them to go into gear. omurphy
post #10 of 10 Old Dec 15th, 2006, 8:34 am

Same with any vehicle with dry clutch, car, truck, bike. If it don't go in, pull in the clutch, let it back out & shift. With a wet clutch, the circulating fluid keeps the parts moving a little with the clutch in, that why you get a little jump when you put the Honda in gear. With the dry clutch nothing is moving with the clutch in, that's why you need to shift as soon as you pull in the clutch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in