'05 LT overheating - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 10:54 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy '05 LT overheating

I have an '05, and whenever I stop at the end of my 30' driveway, shift into reverse and back into the garage the radiator fans are on, and the tempt. gauge is still climbing on a normal 75 degree So. Calif. day. Has anyone else had this situation? It seems this little of reverse use shouldn't cause such an overheat. Does anyone have a remedy? I'm considering going down one heat range of spark plug.

Thanks
Macstromer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 11:36 pm

I've read your post a few times, and I still don't get what you mean by "overheating". Your fans are coming on...so what? That's SOP. Remember this, when you are backing up there is NO air flow to your radiator. Your LT's fans create that airflow by running. I really don't think you have an issue here.

FWIW, most riders don't go 30' in reverse with their LTs. That's a long way, IMO.
post #3 of 10 Old Dec 14th, 2006, 4:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macstromer
I have an '05, and whenever I stop at the end of my 30' driveway, shift into reverse and back into the garage the radiator fans are on, and the tempt. gauge is still climbing on a normal 75 degree So. Calif. day. Has anyone else had this situation? It seems this little of reverse use shouldn't cause such an overheat. Does anyone have a remedy? I'm considering going down one heat range of spark plug.

Thanks
Macstromer
Hey Mac, as long as the overheat light doesn't come on you're fine. These bikes will run all day long just under the red mark on the gauge without a prob. The fan's running mean they're doing their job. Now, if they run all the time I'd be concerned.

I wouldn't drop the plugs a heat range. You could affect the way the engine runs and even cause predetonation.

Living in South Texas.... I knows heat

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old Dec 14th, 2006, 11:19 am

Quote:
Thanks
Macstromer
Yeah, what they said about airflow. In Summer, the fan on my bike will kick in after a minute or so standing still at an intersection. If rush hour is really bad and I can't get rolling above ~20mph, the fan will repeatedly run and stop. The gauge almost reaches red, fan kicks in, needle returns to halfway, and repeats once it heats up again. No problem.
I was going to add that 30' sounds like a long way to run the reverser. I heard that ~1min is the MAX window to reverse LT. Not sure if it can make 30' in 1 min, especially uphill, but I'd recommend riding up your driveway, turning it around at the garage, and reversing it into the parking spot rather than up the whole driveway. That's what I do - I have a long, uphill driveway too.
post #5 of 10 Old Dec 14th, 2006, 10:46 pm

Same thing happens here on a normal 100F Tucson summer day, except, I don't use reverse when I get to the end of my driveway.

Yup. Its normal to see a little smoke if you use the side stand.

75F sounds like a good day for a ride.

Bob
post #6 of 10 Old Dec 15th, 2006, 10:08 pm

Quote:

Thanks
Macstromer
Sounds pretty normal. If the temp gauge does not go into the red, you are OK.

Lowering heat range on spark plugs will not make an engine run cooler! Only the plug center electrode and insulater will be slightly cooler.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 10 Old Dec 30th, 2006, 1:39 pm Thread Starter

Red face Thanks for the reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
Same thing happens here on a normal 100F Tucson summer day, except, I don't use reverse when I get to the end of my driveway.

Yup. Its normal to see a little smoke if you use the side stand.

75F sounds like a good day for a ride.

Bob
Thanks for the reply. If your tempt. gauge doesn't stay in the red on a 100 degree day maybe the machine is doing what it is supposed to do. Just not used to it yet I guess.

Be safe

Tim
post #8 of 10 Old Dec 30th, 2006, 1:52 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, I can't get into the garage with backing due to two cars already there. I hit red as I reach the garage, and she stays with the cooling fans for about two minutes, but it does come back to midline on the gauge.
Tim
post #9 of 10 Old Dec 30th, 2006, 1:56 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, just not used to the fans running. No way around the backing issue, can't reach the garage by pushing, and no space to turn around. Just thought the drop down in heat range plugs would help solve the problem.

Tim
post #10 of 10 Old Dec 30th, 2006, 3:08 pm

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger Mac. The first time I got caught in a traffic jam on I-95, the temp gauge started inching up to the red, the fans started to kick in, and I was thinking "What a POS this thing is." Then the temp started to inch down, then up, then down, and I figured out "Ok, it's doing what it's supposed to be doing I guess.

But I still asked here when I got home.

I've got to back my LT down the driveway too. Not enough room to turn it around at the end. I have about 30 yards, but I'm lucky. It's downhill. I use the reverse to get over the little hump at the end, then just ease her down in neutral the rest of the way.

What I hate is when my wife leaves the outside light on and I have to back it down into that black hole with nothing but the brake lights. Maybe I need to install a backup light.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in