First Ride - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 1:10 pm Thread Starter

First Ride

Hi All,

After a long search and SO negotiating, I finally purchased my new (to me) 2005 KLT!!! I was lucky to have it 2 hours away, so my first ride last night was somewhat significant.

I absolutely love it. The heated seats and grips were a life saver.

I read so much about the ills of these fine machines, that I must admit I'm a little apprehensive.

I've got almost 40K on the bike and I'm thinking I need to consider a slave cylinder replacement some time soon (and of course the recommended ventilation).

Besides fluids and this slave cylinder, is there anything else urgent? I know fluids, pads, tires, etc, but I never would have considered replacing my slave cylinder on any vehicle preventatively.

Any advice would be appreciated as I'm planning on keeping her "forever".

Thanks,

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2005KLT1200.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	8696  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 1:40 pm

Congrats on the purchase...and welcome to the asylum!

I don't know that I'd make a decision to replace the slave cylinder until you get her opened up. But if it'll bring you peace of mind...go for it.

Are the mirrors tethered? That's a must-do. What about lighting? If it's not installed already, think about installing an HID kit or aux lighting.

You see? We'll be finding all kinds of ways to spend the money you saved buying a previously-owned model.
post #3 of 17 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 1:58 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Joe,

I forgot about the mirrors, are they easy to intentionally remove to see?

On the slave cylinder, I figure, if I spend the hours to disassemble to inspect, might as well replace it.

Joe

post #4 of 17 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 2:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegottberg
I forgot about the mirrors, are they easy to intentionally remove to see?
Yes, they're very easy to remove. TOO easy...that's part of the problem.

To remove the left mirror:
  • Stand on the left side of the bike, facing mirror.
  • Hold the front side of the mirror with your left hand.
  • With your right hand open, slap the mirror forward while catching it with the left hand.
  • Repeat the process for the right mirror, but using the opposite hands (obviously).
You might want to put down a blanket or towel the first time you try this. If the mirror falls, it'll land on the blanket.
They ain't cheap!

To reinstall I would just click one ball in at a time, starting with the lowest one, then the front one, then the back one. It'll make more sense once you've done it a time or two.

There are a lot of options with tethers from black zip ties, to fishing string, to plastic-coated cables, and so on.
post #5 of 17 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 4:04 pm

What Joe said about the mirrow, don't pound it back on. Once you have the ball clicked in hold your palm against it and use the mirrow for leverage to snap the forward one on then to the top ball. After you do it a couple of times it becomes easy and you won't end up cracking the plastic that holds the little clips that balls snap in to. Also welcome aboard!

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #6 of 17 Old Dec 14th, 2006, 1:00 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Don't you want to remove the mirror from the front towards the back? As if it hit something while the bike was moving forward? Hate to see someone break the front clips just taking the mirrors off to add tethers.

And yeah, as long as you're in there put in a new slave. Then forget about it for the next 40-50K miles.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 17 Old Dec 14th, 2006, 6:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Don't you want to remove the mirror from the front towards the back? As if it hit something while the bike was moving forward? Hate to see someone break the front clips just taking the mirrors off to add tethers.
That's not the way they taught me at the shop. I removed them from the back to the front probably 50-100 times that way, without harming a thing. But if you're saying that you do it in the opposite direction, that tells me it must not make that big of a difference.
post #8 of 17 Old Dec 14th, 2006, 7:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese

And yeah, as long as you're in there put in a new slave. Then forget about it for the next 40-50K miles.
Yep, Ken. That's the way I wuz taught - front to back. Course I wuz taught this after I broke my front ball stud U-clip thangie. On both mirrors!!
post #9 of 17 Old Dec 14th, 2006, 7:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegottberg
Hi All,

After a long search and SO negotiating, I finally purchased my new (to me) 2005 KLT!!! I was lucky to have it 2 hours away, so my first ride last night was somewhat significant.

I absolutely love it. The heated seats and grips were a life saver.

I read so much about the ills of these fine machines, that I must admit I'm a little apprehensive.

I've got almost 40K on the bike and I'm thinking I need to consider a slave cylinder replacement some time soon (and of course the recommended ventilation).

Besides fluids and this slave cylinder, is there anything else urgent? I know fluids, pads, tires, etc, but I never would have considered replacing my slave cylinder on any vehicle preventatively.

Any advice would be appreciated as I'm planning on keeping her "forever".

Thanks,

Joe
Welcome. I'm up I77 in Mount Airy. Drop a line if you;re ever up this way.

Randy
post #10 of 17 Old Dec 14th, 2006, 8:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
That's not the way they taught me at the shop. I removed them from the back to the front probably 50-100 times that way, without harming a thing. But if you're saying that you do it in the opposite direction, that tells me it must not make that big of a difference.
I was never "taught" but I go front to back for removal because only one pin releases initially and the back inboard side of the mirror seems to make a better hinge point than the pointed front inboard side. Then the mirror rocks smoothly off the rear 2 pins. JMTCW

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #11 of 17 Old Dec 14th, 2006, 8:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
I was never "taught" but I go front to back for removal because only one pin releases initially and the back inboard side of the mirror seems to make a better hinge point than the pointed front inboard side. Then the mirror rocks smoothly off the rear 2 pins. JMTCW
Yes, this method does make more sense to me. I guess I never gave it much thought. Just a quick slap, and all three pins seemed to release at once. Plus...it looks really cool when you do it fast!
post #12 of 17 Old Dec 14th, 2006, 9:19 am

Hey Joe, great looking ride. Welcome to the family. Just remember, no front brake on low speed turns and keep it in 1st gear whenever you use the side stand.

Safe riding - Ray

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #13 of 17 Old Dec 14th, 2006, 3:04 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I don't remove mine either way. My mirrors have been in a box for three years.

When I'm working on someone else's bike, I usually go front to back. But I'm sure it can be done the other way, with a properly calibrated hand.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #14 of 17 Old Dec 14th, 2006, 10:00 pm

Front Clip Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Yep, Ken. That's the way I wuz taught - front to back. Course I wuz taught this after I broke my front ball stud U-clip thangie. On both mirrors!!
I like to pull the rear clips off with pressure, not with a slap to release the front. Since the front brakes, I like to roll the mirror unit up, since the lower part of the front clip would then take the sliding motion first as the clip slides over the ball. Mine are both broken in the front. I just put a 2 inch strip of racers tape along the bottom edge mirror to body panal joint, out of site, just to keep them from fluttering. The picture shows my wire and cement repair. The cement cracked after a few removals. The small strip of tape seem to keep them from popping off the two good rear balls. Yes, they are greased and spaced properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LT Left mirror. Forward ball clip plastic repair..jpg
Views:	54
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	8728  

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402
post #15 of 17 Old Dec 15th, 2006, 8:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatson
What Joe said about the mirrow, don't pound it back on. Once you have the ball clicked in hold your palm against it and use the mirrow for leverage to snap the forward one on then to the top ball. After you do it a couple of times it becomes easy and you won't end up cracking the plastic that holds the little clips that balls snap in to. Also welcome aboard!
I've put a small dap of waterproof lube on the spring part; they come off and on nice and smooth.
Anyone have a problem doing this? I've had none but only have 9 K. BTW My knitted cloth tethers have been deployed countless times!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #16 of 17 Old Dec 15th, 2006, 9:04 am

Hi Joe-
Nice ride and dont sweat it. Listen to the advice from this board and enjoy your LT.
Thanks,
Jim

Jim in Dublin, OH

2005 - LT Ocean Blue (Catuffalo - Part Cat / Part Buffalo)
2002 - Moto Guzzi Cal Spec Sport
2000 - Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
post #17 of 17 Old Dec 15th, 2006, 3:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe
I've put a small dap of waterproof lube on the spring part; they come off and on nice and smooth.
Anyone have a problem doing this? I've had none but only have 9 K. BTW My knitted cloth tethers have been deployed countless times!
I put white lithium grease on mine. They do go on and off without a fuss and I have never had them pop off either.

Oh yea, and congrats Joe, NC Joe, on the new ride. Just to get back to the original thread.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in