Rain Riding ? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 5:34 am Thread Starter

Rain Riding ?

Hello Again Gang,

I was down in West Palm Beach heading home to Orlando and got caught in a nice winter shower. The question that I have is RainX ok for the shield or not? Wouldn't want to damage or reduce visibility by adding the wrong chems to it.

Thanks

Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 5:52 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer222
Hello Again Gang,

I was down in West Palm Beach heading home to Orlando and got caught in a nice winter shower. The question that I have is RainX ok for the shield or not? Wouldn't want to damage or reduce visibility by adding the wrong chems to it.

Thanks

Marc
Many reports of Rain X damaging W/S.
Just use a warm water soaked towel to get the bugs off!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #3 of 20 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 5:58 am

He's not asking about bugs. He's asking about being able to see thru the shield in the rain. RAIN-X works great on car windshields, you really don't need to use your w/s wipers. But I do know people have said its a no-no on our plastic LT shield.

post #4 of 20 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 6:31 am

I used Rain-X for years on my K100 with no ill effects from love bugs or rain. Reports say Rain-X will cloud or deteriate the windscreen after an undetermined amount of time. To be on the safe side, I recommend a high quality plastic polish (used several times per week). Hopefully, you do not actually have to look through vs. just over the windscreen.

I miss riding in Florida (except for the Love Bugs). Why? Snow here. Bike sleeping!

Happy Holidays

v/r

AL
post #5 of 20 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 7:18 am

Marc:

I never use Rainx for the stated reasons. I use Zaino wax products on my car and bike and find that waxing the windshield helps with water beading and wind removal as well as keeping the tire spray from building up. Ride long enough in the rain though and you will have to clean off the road tire spray eventually. That's also why I carry a clean water soaked 100% cotton wash cloth and towel in my saddle bag. I keep the wash cloth in a sandwich bag. Whether it's raining or clear, I always have a proper cleaning devise with me that won't scratch the shield. Since BMW was the first to come out with an electric adjustable windshield, I'm thinking that the new generation LT might just come with a windshield wiper too! Dick
post #6 of 20 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 8:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRothermel
Marc:

I never use Rainx for the stated reasons. I use Zaino wax products on my car and bike and find that waxing the windshield helps with water beading and wind removal as well as keeping the tire spray from building up. Ride long enough in the rain though and you will have to clean off the road tire spray eventually. That's also why I carry a clean water soaked 100% cotton wash cloth and towel in my saddle bag. I keep the wash cloth in a sandwich bag. Whether it's raining or clear, I always have a proper cleaning devise with me that won't scratch the shield. Since BMW was the first to come out with an electric adjustable windshield, I'm thinking that the new generation LT might just come with a windshield wiper too! Dick
Why not just adjust the shield (on the fly, of course) so that your eyes are just barely looking over it? Virtually all the rain will blow over your head. I have ridden other BMWs for years prior to getting the LT and none of those even had shields high enough for this conversation to have been revealent to them. I have ridden all day long looking just barely over the shield. The view is much clearer when not looking through the plastic.

Tom

2003 R1150RT, Black Beauty--this is one sexy bike!
1999 R1100GSA, Does everything well, what else can one say?
1992 K75SA, If this engine had been 4-valve instead of 2, it would be the smoothest BMW ever built!
1978 R100S, my first and favorite BMW.
1976 R75/6, A 30 year old gentlemen I still love to take out for a Sunday ride.
post #7 of 20 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 9:09 am
kip

what Tom said

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrubbercow
Why not just adjust the shield (on the fly, of course) so that your eyes are just barely looking over it? Virtually all the rain will blow over your head. I have ridden other BMWs for years prior to getting the LT and none of those even had shields high enough for this conversation to have been revealent to them. I have ridden all day long looking just barely over the shield. The view is much clearer when not looking through the plastic.
its alot safer to me to just be looking over the ws....

2 cents worth

Kip
99 LT
97 Shadow 1100
Jefferson, Ga
post #8 of 20 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 9:43 am

I never looked through the windshield, always over the top of it. In fact the turbulence on my helmet increased if I adjusted the shield any higher than that. In fact, in heavy rain I had to adjust the shield down even further so that the wind kept my helmet shield clear.

Dick Largen pointed us to a product quite a few years back that works very well on the windshield and face shield. Brillianize. Used it ever since.
http://www.brillianize.com/

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #9 of 20 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 10:23 am

Thumbs up Rain on the face shield? Hot tip

I know this thread is about the windshiled...but while we're discussing rain, I thought I'd share this little gem with y'all.

In the side pocket of my tank bag, I carry a "body-filler spreader" that I bought at NAPA Auto Parts. It's just a flexible piece of rubber(?) about 2" x 3". It really comes in handy for wiping the rain off your face shield, mirrors, dash, and etc., especially if you don't have a wiper built into your rain gloves. I do have a wiper built into my BMW Summer gloves, but I still use that little squeegee quite a bit. Been using this thing for years.

For those of you without a tankbag, I've been told that another good place to store it is in the pocket of your rain gear.
post #10 of 20 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 11:47 am

Talking Rain???

I wouldn't know what it looks like here in SOCAL

I agree with those saying to look over your windshield instead of through while riding in the rain. I even like to keep my helmet visor partially open for fresh air and no fog.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #11 of 20 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 12:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
I even like to keep my helmet visor partially open for fresh air and no fog.
Using Nolan's NFR (fog resistant) shield for the past two years, no more fogging issues. Of course, I ride in more rain than the average SoCal boy.
post #12 of 20 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 4:04 pm

Zippy_GG

Ditto!!!!!

Patterson/USAF1....'05 LT
and the little guy behind me is the world famous "Marty Hill"
Never look into a lazer with the remaining eye
363K on BMW's
post #13 of 20 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 4:21 pm

I won't use Rain-X on my windshield, but I make sure I get it real clean and then coat it Carnuba wax. JM2CW.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #14 of 20 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 5:46 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATTERSON
Zippy_GG

Ditto!!!!!
Oh no...! Are you guys trying to tell me I need to move somewhere where it rains a lot and buy a Nolan helmet???
Even in the rain I still like to keep my visor partially up. I just love the fresh air, one of the main reasons for riding a motorcycle I guess...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #15 of 20 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 6:00 pm

I live in Oregon, and have ridden in the rain 3X in my 30 years of riding. That's 3X too many. AND I only use aircraft grade plastic cleaner on my 'shield - I never put water on a bike, if it can be avoided.....
post #16 of 20 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 7:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflemingor
I live in Oregon, and have ridden in the rain 3X in my 30 years of riding. That's 3X too many. AND I only use aircraft grade plastic cleaner on my 'shield - I never put water on a bike, if it can be avoided.....
You obviously have never traveled cross-country, or mayeb you're just one lucky son-of-a-gun. Although last year when I traveled to Seattle and back, I only rode in about 400 miles of rain. During a 7K-mile ride, that's not too shabby. FWIW, the more you ride in the rain the easier it gets. And wearing the right gear makes it all the easier. In fact, the right gear can make it down-right enjoyable sometimes.
post #17 of 20 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 8:14 pm

Exclamation Rain-X UPDATE!!!

A guy over on the K-Bikes.com forum just posted about using Rain-X. He said that he applied it last week, and now his windshield is all cloudy! See for yourself right here.
post #18 of 20 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 9:34 pm

Last I looked at a Rain-X bottle, it said something about using it on GLASS, not plastic!

I use it on the cars a lot, especially in the snowbelt. BMW warned about using it on the windshield, I think, because of deterioration of the anti-scratch coating, causing it to peel. I don't use it on the LT, but I did on my 'Wing, and it did cause peeling of the shield there.

JMHO

Jay Slomka
Johnson City, TN

Y2K LT Champagne Class Act

BMWMOA, AMA, IBA
post #19 of 20 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 10:27 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the insights. I did look over the screen. But the road spray was a killer. Was looking to see if there were other Techniques.

Thanks Again

Marc
post #20 of 20 Old Dec 14th, 2006, 12:48 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bflemingor
I live in Oregon, and have ridden in the rain 3X in my 30 years of riding.
I've ridden in Oregon rain more than 3X in the last 30 days. But then again, I don't own a car, and I'm OK with that.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in