Should I hold out for a 2005 or 2006 LT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 1:29 pm Thread Starter

Should I hold out for a 2005 or 2006 LT?

Ok here’s the situation….. I sold my 1999 LT a few months ago and now regret it. I’ve read a lot about the newer LT’s (2005/2006) and like many of the new features; the biggest being the increased horsepower. Here’s my question…. Is the increased handling and HP significant enough to hold out on a newer one? I can find used 1999 – 2003 LTs pretty darn cheap, but one thing I didn’t’ like about the old LT was it felt somewhat underpowered off the line, put I always liked the way it wakes up at around 4000 RPM. Anyone have any comments? I’m also hearing some bad things with failure on the new center stands. Are they true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 1:59 pm

Later Model LT's

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkortes
Ok here’s the situation….. I sold my 1999 LT a few months ago and now regret it. I’ve read a lot about the newer LT’s (2005/2006) and like many of the new features; the biggest being the increased horsepower. Here’s my question…. Is the increased handling and HP significant enough to hold out on a newer one? I can find used 1999 – 2003 LTs pretty darn cheap, but one thing I didn’t’ like about the old LT was it felt somewhat underpowered off the line, put I always liked the way it wakes up at around 4000 RPM. Anyone have any comments? I’m also hearing some bad things with failure on the new center stands. Are they true?
I had a 2001 LT which I had no complaint with at all. I put 26,00 miles on it with no problems and the person that has it now has around 40,000 miles with no problems. I purchased a 2005 and now have 38,000 miles on it. You will notice the increase in horsepower but the big notice is the handling. I have had a couple things with it. I had a fork seal leak and a seal on the output shaft of the transmission leak. I have had no problem with the hydraulic center stand. I know I have heard of a few problems with them. I did purchase extended warranty on mind. This is the first motorcycle I have ever purchased extended warranty on but there is so many expensive items that could give a problem so now mind is covered until March of 2011. If I was you I would get a 2005 or 6 still under warranty and you may find one with the extended warranty.

Jerry Mathison
Woodbine, Iowa
2008 Gold Wing
2005 Ocean Blue (Sold)
BMWMOA #25294

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 2:18 pm

My 2 pennies:

If you think you will be one to step up to the new LT when it arrives in a couple of years then get a 2003 with, or get, an extended warrantee, pocket $4-$5k in purchase price over an '05/'06 (not including $$k savings in depreciation when sold) and put it towards the new LT assuming it does in fact arrive.

If you are planning on keeping it for many years, then I would opt for the 2005 with central locking, hyd stand, hp, handling and enjoy.

post #4 of 11 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 2:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkortes
...but one thing I didn’t’ like about the old LT was it felt somewhat underpowered off the line, put I always liked the way it wakes up at around 4000 RPM. Anyone have any comments? I’m also hearing some bad things with failure on the new center stands. Are they true?
The post '04 LTs have a little more HP and Torque, but they don't rear their head until after 4K RPMs anyway. So you are not going to feel any difference right out of the gate, IMO.

And yes, the hydraulics stands have been known to fail. Make sure you have a warranty.
post #5 of 11 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 2:29 pm

'05 or '06

I have a good friend whw bought a new '05, and I bought a used '06 (for $7K less than he paid for the '05 ). Other than the color and my farcles, I can't tell them apart. I have ridden an '03, and prefer my '06 - just a personal thing...

I saw an '05 listed on this site at a great price. If it were my checkbook, I'd buy on of the newer bikes with warranty, and wait for the second year of the rumored new LT - so some of the bugs can be worked out!!
post #6 of 11 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 2:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrym
I had a 2001 LT This is the first motorcycle I have ever purchased extended warranty on but there is so many expensive items that could give a problem so now mind is covered until March of 2011. If I was you I would get a 2005 or 6 still under warranty and you may find one with the extended warranty.
I had the extended warranty on my '99. That warranty running out was one of the reasons I sold it. I was nervous that the bike would start nickel and diming.... Ok..... more like "hundreding and thousanding" me to death. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
post #7 of 11 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 3:49 pm

I thought about this issue long and hard when I bought my 2002 this past September.

My original goal was to find a clean 2003 with low mileage for around $12K. I ended up seeing a good number of low mileage 2005's at and around $15-16K. I started to rationalize that the additional hp and different rake/trail made it a good investment.

However, I kept looking. I ended up bumping into a 2002 with 9600 miles for $10,500.00. I had to ship it from SoCal but that cost around $600.00 door to door.

In fact, I was just congratulating myself while riding yesterday for saving almost 30% off of what I was considering to spend. And I got one hell of a KLT. I'm not one to wait for (or for that matter, to find) a good deal.

There were lots (and lots) of LT's sold since 1999 in the US. Many put big miles on them but a large number of folks did not. If there weren't so many available, I would say buy the '05/'06 and be done with it. Given the few differences between the '99-'04 to the '05+, it is hard to justify the additional dollars in my opinion. I'm pleased with mine!

Main places to look:

IBMWR Marketplace (K Bikes For Sale and put in your own ad for K Bikes Wanted)

CycleTrader.com This is where I found my 2002.

BMW Luxury Touring (this website!) classifieds.

Other BMW website Classifieds (AdventureRider, i-BMW, BMWMOA Flea Market, etc...)

Mike M

2007 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #8 of 11 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 3:52 pm
Gold Supporter

Smile Holding out for 05 or 06 LT

I agree with the other gentleman who encouraged you to get the 05 or 06 LT, wait a couple years after release of the "New" LT, if, indeed, it ever arrives in 2008, 2009, or later and, then purchase the new model. On the other hand, I attended the motorcyle show in Seattle a weekend ago and their expansive booth emphasized the 'sportier' models much more than the LT. Maybe there just won't be a new LT?????
I have an 05 LT, love it for its handling, style, weight, comfort, and other features which are this bike...no problems with the center stand. Whatever you purchase, add HID lighting as your first after-market add-on (at least on the 05, that is!). If you have any questions on the 05 LT, PM me.

Good luck,

Terry
post #9 of 11 Old Dec 14th, 2006, 3:09 pm Thread Starter

Thanks to all who responded. It sounds like the new horsepower is nothing to really blow your skirt up so I may just get another older LT (99-04) with low miles. The savings can be several thousand dollars according to bikes posted on cycletrader and Craigslist searches.
post #10 of 11 Old Dec 14th, 2006, 6:08 pm

Yep....go older, 2003 and better. BMW's don't hold their value like Harleys have, and the differences between the '03's and present don't justify the extra cost. Try to go with one that Pinnace will still offer an extended warranty (<3 years old). Just my opinon FWIW.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #11 of 11 Old Dec 20th, 2006, 11:27 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
Try to go with one that Pinnace will still offer an extended warranty (<3 years old). Just my opinon FWIW.
One of the primary reasons that I sold my 99 was that the warranty period had expired.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in