2006 Brake Sounds...Normal? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 11:16 am Thread Starter

2006 Brake Sounds...Normal?

Greetings all, I am a recent and proud owner of a 2006 LT, and have some brake related sounds that I am wondering about.

1) There is a mechanical sound, similar to servos in fact, that I hear when I use the brakes, especially when it is quiet. Is that the...servo actuator I hear? Ye gads, I kill me.

2) Incredibly annoying brake grinding sound from rear brakes. Oh my god. This was a reason I traded in my HD, cause I couldn't seem to shake it when it showed up. Sprayed some brake cleaner, as the dealer advised when I asked about the sound. Glory be, it came back pretty quick. Is this the cursed beemer brake? It is embarrassing. I don't need a loud exhaust to get noticed now.

Seriously though, I did a search for brake sounds and such, and got bowled over by the amount of threads. If someone would be good enough to point me to the best of the bunch, I would be grateful.

Cheers,

Adam
2006 K1200LT 2001 Kawi KLR650
The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wants YOU!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 11:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by browad

1) There is a mechanical sound, similar to servos in fact, that I hear when I use the brakes, especially when it is quiet. Is that the...servo actuator I hear? Ye gads, I kill me.

2) Incredibly annoying brake grinding sound from rear brakes. Oh my god. This was a reason I traded in my HD, cause I couldn't seem to shake it when it showed up. Sprayed some brake cleaner, as the dealer advised when I asked about the sound. Glory be, it came back pretty quick. Is this the cursed beemer brake? It is embarrassing. I don't need a loud exhaust to get noticed now.

Seriously though, I did a search for brake sounds and such, and got bowled over by the amount of threads. If someone would be good enough to point me to the best of the bunch, I would be grateful.

Cheers,
You can turn on the key but not start the engine to see if the noise is coming from the ABS servo unit. You should be able to hear the pump running, at least you can on my '03.

As you said, there is a LOT of information on brake noise. Many people have replaced the stock BMW pads with EBC (or others) pads. I am running the EBC pads on the front and the stock BMW pads on the rear. One thing that works for me to eliminate/reduce the noise from the rear is to find an open stretch of road with no traffic and to accelerate to 50-60 MPH and use only the rear brake lever to stop. [this will also apply the front brake but at a reduced level] I repeat this several times and the noise goes away for at least a while. The noise seems to be caused by glazing of the brake pads and this seems to be an effective method of deglazing the rear pads. HTH

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 5:39 pm

I have the EBC pads on the rear. Unlike some -- who got immediate relief after they were installed -- my rear brakes continued to squeal for a couple of weeks. It's been a long time now without a peep from them.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]

post #4 of 11 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 7:44 pm Thread Starter

Not to belabor the point, but I just cruised home from work, and oh my god. It sounded horrible. I'll forget just how bad it is up until I pull to the first stop sign.

Magic 8-Ball says: I see a brake pad change in your future. Maybe an HID upgrade as well.

Adam
2006 K1200LT 2001 Kawi KLR650
The
wants YOU!
post #5 of 11 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 8:51 pm

Music?

At the first Ohio tech session, Medina Mike was going to look into if the ridge left by the rotor (on the pad) was causing harmonic distortion Thus the squelch you hear.
Haven't heard the results yet
Rock
post #6 of 11 Old Dec 12th, 2006, 6:47 am

Question 06 K12 LT Brakes

Same problem. Finally disappeared after 13K miles. Permanent de-glazing I hope! Did I mention front-end wooble?

AL
post #7 of 11 Old Dec 12th, 2006, 11:11 am
Gold Supporter

Garage
Which EBC

My rear brakes squeal like a nobodys business on my 06. I know many have shifted over to the EBC and I want to as well but I know there have been several part numbers floating around recently. For those of you that had success with the EBC, which is the correct part number?

Thanks, Todd/graydude

2005 K1200 LT "Graphite Graydude Metallic"

Todd "Graydude" Ask me why I'm the best Realtor you've ever met!

IBA#22266
post #8 of 11 Old Dec 12th, 2006, 11:51 am

The EBC catalog show the part number for the rear brake pads to be FA304 (standard organic) and FA304HH (sintered).

The part number for the front is FA294HH (sintered only) which is be replaced by FA407HH (includes the backside clip) when the stock of the FA294HH is depleted.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #9 of 11 Old Dec 12th, 2006, 1:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by astuber
The EBC catalog show the part number for the rear brake pads to be FA304 (standard organic) and FA304HH (sintered).

The part number for the front is FA294HH (sintered only) which is be replaced by FA407HH (includes the backside clip) when the stock of the FA294HH is depleted.
I noticed a drastic noise improvement (as in LESS NOISE) after replacing the rear EBC Sintered pads with the EBC organic. No noticeable braking performance loss. And they are much cheaper too!!!
I also use sintered EBC pads in the front. Quite happy with them.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

Last edited by zippy_gg; Dec 12th, 2006 at 1:02 pm. Reason: add info
post #10 of 11 Old Dec 12th, 2006, 1:19 pm

Loud Brakes Save Lives!... naa.. I noticed if I wash my bike too well, especially the rotor it will sing like a "racked" canary.

If I keep away from cleaning the rotor the noise rarely occurs.. Guess she likes to play dirty....

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #11 of 11 Old Dec 12th, 2006, 8:18 pm

I had my rotor replaced (warranty) because it was loose in the mounts and couldn't be tightened. Clanked like a Sherman Tank when I ran over anything similar to a bump in the road at low speeds.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in