My Oh My Oh My! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 11:36 pm Thread Starter

My Oh My Oh My!

As many of you who have made the improvements before me, I would like to pass on my opinion on my recent throttle cable and shock upgrades.

I started the afternoon Tuesday before Thanksgiving, removing that outer skin designed to fit our sleek but powerful happy machines. By the next day I had installed the new throttle cables and after minor adjustments determined that the large forearm muscle which I had developed over the last year of ownership of my pleasure ride would soon become atrophied, as those new cables were so smooth and moved "just like butta".

Now on to the front shock. Unable to commit time on Thanksgiving and the day after, I made plans to start the front shock replacement on Saturday. But you know what they say, "the best laid plans of mice and men", I had to spend much of the day caring for my 4 yr old grandson, so I decided to make that day a "do absolutely nothing day" but sit and watch what ever I (HE) want to watch on TV. The next day I was able to install the front and rear shock plus start reinstalling the steering head cover, handle bar covers, and radio stingray.

My plans were to then start on the slave cylinder repair and drill the ever so important weep hole. But again work and family commitments delayed my plans.

Mind you now, I have a three car garage and on the single car side I have a workshop area and a parking spot for the "Red Dragon". As there is not enough room to do this detailed work, I had to eradicate my wife's car from the sole parking spot in the two car side and she was getting a little short having a cold car in the morning. The "Dragon" had been down now for a couple of weeks and with Christmas rapidly approaching I had to make the decision to button everything up and do the slave cylinder after Christmas. On Saturday I was able to drive about three miles to test the improvements and immediately noticed the vast improvement in the suspension. Tonight, however, I had to help a fellow Blue Knight with his disabled Suzuki (bad battery) and I was able to put about 20 miles on the happy seat. Four of those with two up. I am absolutely here to tell you that I am very very happy and more relaxed with the greatly improved suspension and the throttle movement.

I have only one minor problem and those of you who "have traveled where no man has traveled before" will surly be able to guide me for the corrections. While using the C.C. now, If I encounter a bump or rough road the C.C. will shut off. How do I adust that? I did not change anything on the clutch handle play or the brake handle or foot lever play.

So if you are hesitating to replace the shocks because of the cost, I vote it is well worth the money.

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 12:47 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Rob,

I know what you mean. Shocks and throttle cables can transform a bike.

BTW, what are you doing on Sunday the 17th? I'll be in Scottsdale, and I've drilled a weep hole or two in my day.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 8 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 3:24 am

Improvements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robasay
As many of you who have made the improvements before me, I would like to pass on my opinion on my recent throttle cable and shock upgrades.

I started the afternoon Tuesday before Thanksgiving, removing that outer skin designed to fit our sleek but powerful happy machines. By the next day I had installed the new throttle cables and after minor adjustments determined that the large forearm muscle which I had developed over the last year of ownership of my pleasure ride would soon become atrophied, as those new cables were so smooth and moved "just like butta".

Now on to the front shock. Unable to commit time on Thanksgiving and the day after, I made plans to start the front shock replacement on Saturday. But you know what they say, "the best laid plans of mice and men", I had to spend much of the day caring for my 4 yr old grandson, so I decided to make that day a "do absolutely nothing day" but sit and watch what ever I (HE) want to watch on TV. The next day I was able to install the front and rear shock plus start reinstalling the steering head cover, handle bar covers, and radio stingray.

My plans were to then start on the slave cylinder repair and drill the ever so important weep hole. But again work and family commitments delayed my plans.

Mind you now, I have a three car garage and on the single car side I have a workshop area and a parking spot for the "Red Dragon". As there is not enough room to do this detailed work, I had to eradicate my wife's car from the sole parking spot in the two car side and she was getting a little short having a cold car in the morning. The "Dragon" had been down now for a couple of weeks and with Christmas rapidly approaching I had to make the decision to button everything up and do the slave cylinder after Christmas. On Saturday I was able to drive about three miles to test the improvements and immediately noticed the vast improvement in the suspension. Tonight, however, I had to help a fellow Blue Knight with his disabled Suzuki (bad battery) and I was able to put about 20 miles on the happy seat. Four of those with two up. I am absolutely here to tell you that I am very very happy and more relaxed with the greatly improved suspension and the throttle movement.

I have only one minor problem and those of you who "have traveled where no man has traveled before" will surly be able to guide me for the corrections. While using the C.C. now, If I encounter a bump or rough road the C.C. will shut off. How do I adust that? I did not change anything on the clutch handle play or the brake handle or foot lever play.

So if you are hesitating to replace the shocks because of the cost, I vote it is well worth the money.
Rob, sounds like you are a happy camper with your improvements. I am in the process of getting my new 05 cables installed.

What type of shocks did you install? I understand that Ohlins and Wilbers are the two most commonly used.

James Hart
2002 LTE Titan Silver
1992 Yamaha Virago 750 (given to friend)
River Oaks, TX

post #4 of 8 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 7:30 am

I am not for sure but I remember reading on the forum that there is a sensor or switch on the throttle side for the cruise control. Not sure how to do adjustments.
post #5 of 8 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 9:39 am

I hate reading about throttle cable replacemants because I want it more and more.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #6 of 8 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 10:27 am

Quote:
-------------I have only one minor problem and those of you who "have traveled where no man has traveled before" will surly be able to guide me for the corrections. While using the C.C. now, If I encounter a bump or rough road the C.C. will shut off. How do I adust that? I did not change anything on the clutch handle play or the brake handle or foot lever play.-------------
First thing to try is to make sure you have at least 1/16" free play in the cable at the throttle grip when the throttle is released.

If it still does it, remove the left fairing and be sure the cables are routed in the clips on the fan shroud so that the closing cable is free from rubbing against anything like the wiring harness on the throttle rail, and that the fairing does not push on it when re-installed. If it cannot move easily in and out of the mount by the spring force against it, you will have CC cancel switch problems.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 8 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 10:53 pm Thread Starter

Shocks

James, I purchased the Ohlins, but I am sure the Webers are just as efficent.

Dave, I will check what you have suggested and report later if that does not solve the problem.

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
post #8 of 8 Old Dec 12th, 2006, 2:17 pm

Improvements

Quote:
James, I purchased the Ohlins, but I am sure the Webers are just as efficent.

Dave, I will check what you have suggested and report later if that does not solve the problem.
Rob, it looks like a lot of people prefer the Ohlins over Wilburs (?spelling). Thanks for the report and good luck in getting the CC to function as it should. Sorry I couldn't be any help. I am in the process of getting my cables put back together and may be trailing you with the same problem.

I'll keep an eye out for your report.

Regards,

James

James Hart
2002 LTE Titan Silver
1992 Yamaha Virago 750 (given to friend)
River Oaks, TX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in