Best Cupholder Ever...For $15 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 7:01 pm Thread Starter

Best Cupholder Ever...For $15

I just migrated over to an 06 LT from my 03 Fat Boy, and took my cupholder with me. As the title of this thread indicates, it is the best, if not bestest, cupholder ever. I really cannot sing its praises enough. I purchased mine at Bass Pro (outdoors adventure chain) for $13.99. It's called the Liquid Caddy, and a link is http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

I believe you can get it elsewhere if there is no Bass Pro by you, but it is always nice to eyeball something before you buy. And you get to ride there, too.

Why it is so nice:

1) Four different mounting options
2) Cupholder itself is detachable from the mount
3) Cupholder is adjustable both in depth and inside diameter (it uses elastic straps)
4) Cheap. As in <$15 out the door cheap. So get two.
5) Five different colors
6) Gimbaled in every direction. No more third degree burns in the twisties.

Again, it comes with 4 different mounting options. On my HD I used the 1" clamp mount right on the handlebar. As there are no exposed bars on the BMW, I had to think about it for awhile. I came up with using the velcro mount and the velcro extension and used a pair of forceps to feed it around the handlebar tupperware in front of the front brake master cylinder.

These attached photos should help. The fourth photo is the cat eyeing my handiwork of attaching armrests to the bike. She doesn't look too impressed.

This is such a well-thought out solution that I always tell people about it. So go forth and do likewise.

If anyone has any questions about it, please respond and I'll help. Sure beats $125.

edit
If you're looking for it in the store, it's in the boating section.
/edit

Cheers,

Adam B
Gainesville, Fl
2006 K1200LT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image00001.jpg
Views:	809
Size:	541.0 KB
ID:	8635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image00003.jpg
Views:	1082
Size:	483.5 KB
ID:	8636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image00004.jpg
Views:	815
Size:	648.2 KB
ID:	8637   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image00005.jpg
Views:	781
Size:	666.9 KB
ID:	8638  

Last edited by browad; Dec 10th, 2006 at 7:22 pm. Reason: Adding some information...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 7:52 pm

The best part about being a newby on this Forum is that someday, someone else will be newer...!

BMW has a cupholder. It works and costs about $150 give or take. It is very cool and it holds a cup. Now you might be asking why would anyone spend so much money for something that does the same thing as something that I can buy for way less? For you answer I would ask any of your Harley buddies why they ride Harley's and substitute the words "BMW cupholder" for the words "Harley" and you have it!

All in good fun from an HDFan. Actually looks like a good product and I do like the gimbaled action. Thanks and welcome.
post #3 of 23 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 8:07 pm

How is it for clearance?

Looks really good. Thanks for sharing the information. But...does it clear the tank on a full right turn? Hope so...

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #4 of 23 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 8:11 pm Thread Starter

It does clear on both full left and right extensions. The first picture is full right, and it still clears the bike by a fair margin. Being fully gimbaled, you can fiddle with the mount for more or less clearance and still retain full functionality.

Cheers,

Adam
2006 K1200LT 2001 Kawi KLR650
The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wants YOU!
post #5 of 23 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 8:39 pm

I Hate You

The way I see it, you owe me (and many other BMW cupholder owners) about $100 -- as in, $115 - $15. Where were you when we bought our BMW cupholders?

The only thing I can add is: Thanks for the tip on the cat transporter.

Welcome to the site, and thanks for the tip.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #6 of 23 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 8:52 pm Thread Starter

I won't even tell you how long I was searching for a good cupholder. Not an ok cupholder, but one that would actually hold a thermos of coffee without a trip to the ER later in the day. I tried making my own...less said about that the better.

Adam
The
wants YOU!
post #7 of 23 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 9:14 pm

Thumbs up

Cool find Adam; thanks for passing it on!
post #8 of 23 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 9:15 pm

I'd buy that, in fact I think i will get a couple.
$115 dollars for a cup holder is almost as stupid as the K1200LT tankbag. Holds one glove and a 1/2 a chapstick
Rock
post #9 of 23 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 9:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by browad
I won't even tell you how long I was searching for a good cupholder. Not an ok cupholder, but one that would actually hold a thermos of coffee without a trip to the ER later in the day. I tried making my own...less said about that the better.
Search for threads by our Finnish LT friend Ari. He has created an even cheaper method of attaching a thermos to the LT tupperware. A couple of pics are attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HPIM0667_small.JPG
Views:	452
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	8640   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0669_small.JPG
Views:	396
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	8641  

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #10 of 23 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 9:37 pm Thread Starter

I actually used that cupholder as the base for a homebrew one as well. His looks much better than the bastardization that I came up with.

Adam
The
wants YOU!
post #11 of 23 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 9:16 am

Great
Thanx

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #12 of 23 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 9:33 am

Thanks for sharing that one. This takes one more item off my wish list. Actually I had given the same cup holder a thought as I gave two of them to my Father-in-Law a while back for his boat. But was not sure how/where to put it re the handle bar tupper ware. Thanks for the recon and application study.

I am a Harley guy as well but sure would not spend $115.00 for a H-D cup. Did spend some $$$ on the HD Clothes though and still wearing them FXRG foul weather pants and jacket. And a very nice somewhat non descript leather jacket. Maybe I will risk being tacky and put BMW pins or patches on them......
post #13 of 23 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 9:38 am

Although I rank this by far the best of the make-shift Cup Holders for the LT, I still would have no problem with buying and owning the OEM model. A $115 cup holder for a $20K bike somehow doesn't seem totally out-of-line to me. But then again, I put a pretty high priority on my coffee habit as well.

I will try one of these for the GT though. Just because...
post #14 of 23 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 11:06 am Thread Starter

My problem is that I like to drink my coffee, not wear it.

The best container I've found is the Polar Bottle (link goes to manufacturer). They can be had around $10 or so. As with all multiuse containers, introduce your bottle/thermos to your dishwasher early and often. You'll both appreciate it.

Cheers,

Adam
The
wants YOU!
post #15 of 23 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 11:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by browad
My problem is that I like to drink my coffee, not wear it.
BMW cup inside BMW cup holder tested to 93.7 mph. Not a drop on me. It's a shame that BMW doesn't sell the cup that was specifically designed for their cup holder anymore.

post #16 of 23 Old Dec 12th, 2006, 8:58 pm

Parts for custom cupholder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Search for threads by our Finnish LT friend Ari. He has created an even cheaper method of attaching a thermos to the LT tupperware. A couple of pics are attached.
As you noticed the cup holder that Ari uses has an unusual connector.. I was surfing for a part on the net and came on a site that sells a device called "Tenax" fasteners.. this is the quick release device on his holder..
With these and a quick mod to many inexpensive car cup holders, you can make yours too!!!
And any other thing that might need to attach with a temporary mount...
I am having all kinds of new farkle ideas pop into my head!! http://eagleday.stores.yahoo.net/tenaxfasteners1.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tenaxGraphic.gif
Views:	89
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	8683   Click image for larger version

Name:	chrome.gif
Views:	113
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	8684   Click image for larger version

Name:	nut_boldMount.gif
Views:	86
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	8685  

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana
post #17 of 23 Old Dec 12th, 2006, 9:23 pm

I will buy one of them for sure.
I am always looking for a bargain and would never pay over $100 for a cup holder, they are other options for less.
Welcome onboard Adam

Dan
post #18 of 23 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 12:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Although I rank this by far the best of the make-shift Cup Holders for the LT, I still would have no problem with buying and owning the OEM model. A $115 cup holder for a $20K bike somehow doesn't seem totally out-of-line to me. But then again, I put a pretty high priority on my coffee habit as well.

I will try one of these for the GT though. Just because...
Not only does the 'expensive' BMW Cup holder work, it makes for a great finale when showing of your bike. I've gotten more than my moneys worth watching and listening to the reactions I get when I push the button and that expensive piece of enginerring pops into action.
post #19 of 23 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 6:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by billd
As you noticed the cup holder that Ari uses has an unusual connector.. I was surfing for a part on the net and came on a site that sells a device called "Tenax" fasteners.. this is the quick release device on his holder..
With these and a quick mod to many inexpensive car cup holders, you can make yours too!!!
And any other thing that might need to attach with a temporary mount...
I am having all kinds of new farkle ideas pop into my head!! http://eagleday.stores.yahoo.net/tenaxfasteners1.html
Yup, that seems to be the one! I found mine from a boat store as they are originally ment for holding the boat covers.
I orginally used the 2-screw base peg until I found the machine screw-type peg with nut which I chose for the "Ari's cup holder Evo 2".

Let us know what other uses of these fasteners you come up with!

BTW, just wondering if a tank bag would come on the way of this new "H-D style" cupholder...Anyway it is a nice idea as well, although in my case that place of installation is already occupied.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP2875.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	8693  

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #20 of 23 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 7:11 am Thread Starter

I have never used a tank bag, so never really thought of it. Installed where it is on my bars, right in front of the front brake master cylinder on the handlebars, it probably would interfere. You could move it a bit and still retain the gimbals, but not sure if it would still work.

Hmmm....If you put some type of riser on it to raise the cupholder, that would work. I would imagine that the first few generations would look....interesting.

The restriction with this cupholder, as with any other gimbaled mount, is that the majority of the weight of the object has to be below the plane of the gimbal. Otherwise, it doesn't function right, and would simply flip over and dump out. And as every gimbaled mount that I've ever seen does not extend upward, it is left to the user to modify it.

Another option is that the Liquid Buddy comes with a plastic clip mount, which is actually quite resilient. You could try and mount that on the slipstream deflector. I'm at work right now looking at some pics, so not exactly sure about clearances.

Yet another option, slightly more permanent, is to epoxy a mount on the lip above the instrument cluster. Getting slightly out there, but still an option. Give me more time, and I'll figure out some really wacked out halfbreed solution that works, but looks like it was made with duct tape, baling wire, and zip ties.

Cheers,

Adam
The
wants YOU!
post #21 of 23 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 9:32 am

Ari:

What is the aux. switch assembly you have mounted? Looks nice.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #22 of 23 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 11:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Ari:

What is the aux. switch assembly you have mounted? Looks nice.
Thanks David,

I originally had the BMW Phoenix switch system with stock two switches but I pretty soon needed some more. I found these little led equipped switches in our local Auto parts store. I made the mod two years ago and the switches have held fine all the rain and washings without problems. I spray some dielectric spray in them once or twice per season.

I have also sent the switches for this "sixpack" to two other forum members (Bill Garrison and Mark England) and Mark even decided to make a thorough description of his switch project on his fancy website. You may want to check it out as it tells the whole story...http://www.kc6tew.com/mods/switches/switches.htm

The two extra switches on the right side I added last winter as I needed one more switch for my power seat and the other for killing the power from my back up beeper...

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #23 of 23 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 12:41 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo_izquierdo
Thanks David,

I originally had the BMW Phoenix switch system with stock two switches but I pretty soon needed some more. I found these little led equipped switches in our local Auto parts store. I made the mod two years ago and the switches have held fine all the rain and washings without problems. I spray some dielectric spray in them once or twice per season.

I have also sent the switches for this "sixpack" to two other forum members (Bill Garrison and Mark England) and Mark even decided to make a thorough description of his switch project on his fancy website. You may want to check it out as it tells the whole story...http://www.kc6tew.com/mods/switches/switches.htm

The two extra switches on the right side I added last winter as I needed one more switch for my power seat and the other for killing the power from my back up beeper...

Ari,
We all have a long way to go to catch up with all your modifications .. after all I believe "FARKLE" is Finnish isn't it !!! I have ordered some of these fasteners to start me on the way to some new mod's.... we will see what comes out..

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in