Driver's Feet Wind Deflector - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 6:17 pm Thread Starter

Question Driver's Feet Wind Deflector

Enclosed are the couple photos for Driver's Feet Wind Deflector. Does anybody have good experience with them?

Easy of installation?
Effectiveness?
Where to buy? How much?

Thanks in advance,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	left wind deflector.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	8598   Click image for larger version

Name:	left front deflector.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	8599  

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 7:13 pm
Super Moderator

I've never even seen those before. I guess my first question is why? Out of all the weather I've ridden through (hot cold, wind, rain, snow, hail, etc.) my feet were the one thing I never worried about or had any temperature problems with.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 7:39 pm

Question Never had cold feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
I've never even seen those before. I guess my first question is why? Out of all the weather I've ridden through (hot cold, wind, rain, snow, hail, etc.) my feet were the one thing I never worried about or had any temperature problems with.

Ditto on "never seen them before" and "never needed them".

Boots don't let air into your feet. Now, tennis shoes might be a different story. Hope that's not the reason for cold feet.

Just my .02 worth!

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====

post #4 of 22 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 8:14 pm

Keep da bugs off da boots doe.
post #5 of 22 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 11:18 pm

In cold weather my toes and feet get very cold. Maybe they're hanging lower than yours. I'm not that tall -- only 6'1" -- but my toes get very cold. Air isn't getting INTO the boots, it's the constant cold air blowing AGAINST the toes of the boots that makes things cold after awhile. I'd install this product.

I've tried riding with me feet back -- toes on the rider pegs -- but that helps only a little.

Where does one get ithese? Cost?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #6 of 22 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 1:05 am
IBR# 366

Garage
The info you want can be found in this thread. I don't know of anyone who has used them though. I was interested, but I already drag the fairing on occasion so adding more bulk down below didn't seem like a good idea.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 22 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 6:20 am

Howard: I have a simple solution for you. Spend $60.00 and buy a pair of Gerbing's heated socks. Your cold toe issues will be a thing of the past. It won't matter whether or not your toes are on the pegs or if they're hanging down below the spoiler out in the direct air. Dick
post #8 of 22 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 7:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRothermel
Howard: I have a simple solution for you. Spend $60.00 and buy a pair of Gerbing's heated socks. Your cold toe issues will be a thing of the past. It won't matter whether or not your toes are on the pegs or if they're hanging down below the spoiler out in the direct air. Dick
Got a pair -- the Comfort Socks, without wires on the soles of the feet. This makes walking with them on much more comfortable.

I don't I wear them on the daily commute because it's a hassle (a small one) to change boots AND socks when I get to work. I guess I have the solution right in front of me... Things is, every time I ride the bike to work this one guy (Mr. Office Socializer) comes over to my desk and starts regaling me with stories of when he used to ride a bike. He watches me take my gear off; I'm not sure he needs or wants to see me change socks, too. Guess I have to get over it.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #9 of 22 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 7:25 am

What about Cool Air?

The deflectors seem to be a simple solution for riding up North. Now if there was a way to rig up cool air to the face for the riding down south......... and deflecting the hot air out of the side vents. Maybe deflecting or re-routing the hot air to your feet? Never thought about this when I was younger. Just got on and rode........

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #10 of 22 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 9:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
The deflectors seem to be a simple solution for riding up North. Now if there was a way to rig up cool air to the face for the riding down south......... and deflecting the hot air out of the side vents. Maybe deflecting or re-routing the hot air to your feet? Never thought about this when I was younger. Just got on and rode........
I suppose one could build a small plenum on each side of the fairing, then duct the hot air either (a) towards you or (b) away from you, depending on what you're looking for. Some of that flexible round ductwork would do the trick. Wouldn't look too odd...

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #11 of 22 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 10:26 am

I bet they would help in the rain to keep boots dry. No gaters here.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #12 of 22 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 2:35 pm

I guess it is all in how you look at things. I wear my Sidi boots with my Dockers all the time. I never have to change shoes or socks.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #13 of 22 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 4:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
I guess it is all in how you look at things. I wear my Sidi boots with my Dockers all the time. I never have to change shoes or socks.
Would you please print out a copy of your post for Connie, next time she does laundry?!!!!
post #14 of 22 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 10:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Would you please print out a copy of your post for Connie, next time she does laundry?!!!!
Okay, okay. Maybe I should have said I don't have to change out shoes or socks when I get to the customer site or the office.

OBTW, I do the laundry around here, as she can make more money than I can if I let her go at it.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Last edited by Steve_R; Dec 13th, 2006 at 11:50 am.
post #15 of 22 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 11:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
In cold weather my toes and feet get very cold. Maybe they're hanging lower than yours. I'm not that tall -- only 6'1" -- but my toes get very cold. Air isn't getting INTO the boots, it's the constant cold air blowing AGAINST the toes of the boots that makes things cold after awhile. I'd install this product.

I've tried riding with me feet back -- toes on the rider pegs -- but that helps only a little.

Where does one get ithese? Cost?
Same here. I purchased heated socks and no more problems. Don't plan any long walks while wearing them - they are not for walking.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #16 of 22 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 11:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnowell
Same here. I purchased heated socks and no more problems. Don't plan any long walks while wearing them - they are not for walking.
Try Gerbing's other heated sock -- it's called the Comfort Sock. No wires on the soles of your feet. Big difference.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #17 of 22 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 11:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Try Gerbing's other heated sock -- it's called the Comfort Sock. No wires on the soles of your feet. Big difference.
Thanks for the info, but I want the heat. I don't know why my feet get so cold. Hands do also - especially my "I'm not real happy with what you just did" signal finger on my right hand.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #18 of 22 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 12:29 pm

You could try these.

-Ekim
2005 K1200LT (R.I.P.)
Manchester, MD

post #19 of 22 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 12:39 pm

I use the BMW heated insoles when it's going to be really cold. They are the same product you see in ski stores that run on batteries. The control module hangs off the back of the boot so you can keep them running when you stop. The deflectors, if removable, seem like a good idea but not just for temperature. Last summer we rode through a five inch deep, 200 yard swath of Mormon crickets in northern Nevada. They were all over the road for over a hundred miles of twisties. We stopped when we reached Idaho and discovered cricket guts all over the toes of my boots.(and all over the fenders)

We are all individuals with the same basic biology but with definite variations. I never get cold in the arms yet I read about riders getting the Gerbing jacket and touting its praises in favor of a vest. I have a very nice heated vest but rarely use it even into the low 20s. Must be my Chicago blood. However, my toes still get cold in certain conditions even with high quality waterproof boots, high quality, insulated, wicking socks, and 30 years of fall/winter deer hunting to season them. The heated insoles do the trick for me but may not be for everyone. With all these tricks and electronics for winter riding seems like someone could come up with an all encompassing seated enviro suit!

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
post #20 of 22 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 6:21 pm

The stock footpeg location offers pretty good protection for your feet. If you're like me and have installed footpeg relocators your feet are moved down into the airstream. The first thing I noticed after installing footpeg relocators was my feet were getting cold. I fixed my cold feet with Gerbings heated socks. I need the lower footpegs for my knees and hips.

Bruce Hodges
post #21 of 22 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 8:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce2000ltc
The stock footpeg location offers pretty good protection for your feet. If you're like me and have installed footpeg relocators your feet are moved down into the airstream. The first thing I noticed after installing footpeg relocators was my feet were getting cold. I fixed my cold feet with Gerbings heated socks. I need the lower footpegs for my knees and hips.

Bruce Hodges
Brilliant! I don't know whether to say "eureka" or "duh". I have the footpegs lowered, and that explains why (a) my toes get cold and (b) I can't do the foot maneuver that jsciullo described earler. I'm guessing Jim doesn't have the Suburban Machinery lowering kit installed.

Thanks, Bruce.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #22 of 22 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 8:07 pm

Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnowell
Thanks for the info, but I want the heat. I don't know why my feet get so cold...
In case it wasn't clear in my previous reply, Gerbing's Comfort Socks are just like their original heated socks, except no wires on the soles of the feet. Wires everywhere else, just no where you walk. Should keep your feet plenty warm. HTH.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in