Buying a new (kinda) LT... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 9:35 pm Thread Starter

Buying a new (kinda) LT...

This is my first post here, after lurking for a few days, so please be patient.

I've been wanting to move over from my Fat Boy to a more touring-centered bike for awhile, and limited my choices to the following:

1) Electra Flavor of the Year
2) Gold Wing
3) LT

My girlfriend hates the Harley FLTs, and I really don't like the looks of the Wing, so that limited me pretty well . I lurked around several websites, and this forum, for awhile gleaning and making notes, and went by the Daytona BMW dealership this afternoon to get some actual demo rides and hands-on experience. I really liked a lot of the bike, still not a big fan of the clean touring look, but was very impressed by bang for the buck of the used models.

The used ones Daytona had were nice, but I thought were priced a bit high (two 2005s for 179 and 189 with varying mileages and limited add-ons). I was figuring KBB values at around 165 give or take. The new barebones was about 23 IIRC. The only thing I liked about the 2007 model was the aux input for the stereo. I love my ipod, but not that much. The salesperson and I talked and ran through several different scenarios, but none matched the financial position that I wanted to put myself in. I've been burned by dealers before, and I do get aggressive around them. Not to BMW specifically, but in general...well, I can get going about that and just keep on for a long time.

Then Duke (my salesman) calls up the Orlando shop (they are sister-dealerships) and finds a 2006 LT with 9000 miles on it for 165. Definately more my price. Even better, its warrantied out till April 2009. The gentleman who owned it was a longtime BMW rider, and traded it in on a GT. Surprise, surprise .

Barring something unforeseen, I plan on spinning by tomorrow and trading up.

So I guess what I'm asking is:

1) Good deal?
2) How much of a headache is hooking an ipod up? I hate FM modulators with a passion, but if someone could direct me to a good thread or business, most appreciated.

Cheers,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 10:16 pm

16.5 is a hell of a deal on a 2006 LT...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 12:57 am

Having an older model, I just use an FM transmitter to play the MP3 through.
However, I think the newer models have an accessories plug in the tank compartment next to the radio controls.

Orange, NSW
'99 K1200LT - Basalt Grey (traded in for)
2007 GL1800 - Dark Orange Metallic
Ulysses Member 32701

post #4 of 9 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 8:28 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by browad
So I guess what I'm asking is:

1) Good deal?
2) How much of a headache is hooking an ipod up? I hate FM modulators with a passion, but if someone could direct me to a good thread or business, most appreciated.

Cheers,
Browad,

Fill out your profile so we know a bit about you and welcome to the fold. That is a good price. Look back in the forum on IPOD/MP3s there is a set of posts adding an aux input on the '05. It is pretty easy, buy or roll your own connector lead that plugs into the back of the radio unit.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 9 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 9:45 am

Goo Deals

You have to look and be ready to move. I bought an '06 with 7K miles and every option on it (GPS, intercom, including the iPod interface) for $17.5. It needed the 6K service, and I bought it at my local Harley dealer... Love the bike, and the deal.

You can find '05s for $15.5 to $18 - I would think $16.5 for a really good '05 with ALL the extras would be reasonable. With more than 20K miles, you can find '05s for $12.5, if you look.
post #6 of 9 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 1:39 pm

For your iPod question.

Assuming the 06 comes with a Comm System (which most do), hooking up an iPod is very easy. This site has many post on the subject. The following URL shows I installed and hooked up my iPod on my 06.
http://kc6tew.com/mods/ipod/ipod.htm

Mark
post #7 of 9 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 6:14 pm

If you haven't purchased a bike yet and really want the "Harley look" check out a Yamaha Venture. I rode mine for 5 years until the warranty ran out (yes they have a standard factory 5 year one that comes with the bike). The only problem I ever had was with one of the nuts that hold the seat on kept coming off. However the LT is definitely the best all around bike I have owned.

Mike
06 K1200 LT
01 Corvette Conv (RED)
BMWMOA # 128948
IBA #19196
post #8 of 9 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 8:27 pm Thread Starter

Just rode back with an 06 LT from Daytona. Christ it was cold. The ice warning came on a few times. God bless heated grips and seats.

Any doubts I had about about the LT were dispelled by getting it on a highway and cruising. Got a rider backrest, which is nice, and plan on adding passenger armrests on Saturday. After that, depends. Tried the two different types of j-pegs, and wasn't wowed by any. The bent is nicest, but not really feeling it.

Anywho, gots me a new bike. New to me. Vroom vroom.

Cheers,
post #9 of 9 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 8:30 pm

Odd he didn't show you this one at BMW Orlando.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in