Ducatti light - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 2:07 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Ducatti light

I'm pleased to announce that I have bought a Ducatti designs headlight kit for Mein Byk. Finally, a chance to actually see where I'm going at night!

My question is how easy/difficult is this to install, and is it a D I Y job? I have the 12000 mile service coming up and if this involves a tear-down, I'll just have the dealer install it while they have everything off for that service. Otherwise, I've got a project to tackle.

Joe
05 Ocean Blue LT "Mein Byk"
14 Rolls Royce Ghost
16 GLE 63 S
99 CLK 320 Cabriolet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 2:26 pm

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by neodoc
I'm pleased to announce that I have bought a Ducatti designs headlight kit for Mein Byk. Finally, a chance to actually see where I'm going at night!

My question is how easy/difficult is this to install, and is it a D I Y job? I have the 12000 mile service coming up and if this involves a tear-down, I'll just have the dealer install it while they have everything off for that service. Otherwise, I've got a project to tackle.
That depends on your confidence is removing some tupperware. Both crash bars and both sides of the fairing need to come off so you can access the screws for the nose cone (don't forget the one under the vanity light). That's pretty much it!
It is more intimidating than difficult the very first time, really!
In fact, if you are going to do it yourself, why not get your hands dirty and perform the 12000 service yourself? Then the stingray and the fuel tank need to come off to give you access to the fuel and the air filters. The parts will set you back around $130.00 (air, oil, and fuel filters, oil, plugs, and a couple of hose clamps), plus you will rip the benefits of getting cozy with Mein Byk . Your dealer will tell you exactly what you need for your 12000 service.
There will be enough folks on this site to assist you if you have questions (and you will). Do your research and print the material. Very useful!
An alternative would be to attend a local tech session... The benefits include food and beer, plus the collective knowledge of the attendees.
That sure beats the $600-800 charged by your dealer.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 2:42 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
In fact, if you are going to do it yourself, why not get your hands dirty and perform the 12000 service yourself?
Hands dirty? I thought that's what gloves were for . Actually, I've done lots of things to Mein Byk, including installing LEDs, saddlebag lights and most recently an extra taillight with a strobe unit, so I'm not a stanger to taking things apart. My concern is that I've never worked on an engine, so I don't want to screw things up. I'll likely put the light in myself, but I think I may leave the mechanical work to the mechanics. Plus, they have to change out the steering damper anyway, so it will have to go in for that regardless. Thanks for the input. I'll post pics when it's done.

Joe
05 Ocean Blue LT "Mein Byk"
14 Rolls Royce Ghost
16 GLE 63 S
99 CLK 320 Cabriolet

post #4 of 4 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 11:42 pm

I am the first to do this on the 05' and yes it's a big job but if you have taken the plastic off then not to bad. If you were in SoCal I would say come over and I would help you. You have to take the nose cone off and the plastic above the dash thats the hardest part. You will enjoy the light. I have some pic's on my smugmug site if you need any help. The wiring is easy and it just plugs into the stock plugs. This is how far you have to tear it down.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in