Can't figure this one out! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 11:30 am Thread Starter

Can't figure this one out!

Can't get my battery tender to work through the driver power outlet like it always did before. Plug in my BMW to 2 prong adapter to the driver power outlet, have 12.8 volts at the 2 prong plug, plug in the tender & it don't light up. Plug the alligator clips in to the same end of the tender cord that was plugged in to the outlet, clip on to the battery & it works. Don't get it! 12.8 volts at the end of the power outlet cord tells me it's good. Plugging the alligator clips to the end of the Tender cord tells me that end is good. Put the 2 good ends together & it's not good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 12:05 pm

Does your wind screen move? The fuse for the wind screen is also the one for the power outlets. Might be something as simple as a blown fuse.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 12:14 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by astuber
Does your wind screen move? The fuse for the wind screen is also the one for the power outlets. Might be something as simple as a blown fuse.
12.8 volts at the end of the power outlet cord tells me it's good.

post #4 of 27 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 12:29 pm

If I understand correctly, you have 12.8 volts at the power outlet. Correct? Then that would definately eliminate a blown fuse as the cause.

I have had one of the wires come loose in the connector from the Battery tender to the power outlet. The cap unscrews and the wires attach with set screws. Something to look at.

Alan Stuber
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 27 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 12:47 pm Thread Starter

I have 12.8 volt all the way to the 2 prong Tender plug, that eliminates a problem in the round plug. See why it's making me crazy?
post #6 of 27 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 1:00 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Ok. Try this.

Make your connection to the bike first and then plug in the battery tender to the wall outlet. See if it helps.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #7 of 27 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 1:53 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Also plug something into the outlet that draws power. You may have a high resistance in line that shows 12.8 volts to the meter but will not power a load.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #8 of 27 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 7:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_E
Can't get my battery tender to work through the driver power outlet like it always did before. Plug in my BMW to 2 prong adapter to the driver power outlet, have 12.8 volts at the 2 prong plug, plug in the tender & it don't light up. Plug the alligator clips in to the same end of the tender cord that was plugged in to the outlet, clip on to the battery & it works. Don't get it! 12.8 volts at the end of the power outlet cord tells me it's good. Plugging the alligator clips to the end of the Tender cord tells me that end is good. Put the 2 good ends together & it's not good.
Look at the end of the cord for the BMW adaptor (the one that plugs into the bike power outlet). One of the small plugs, either on the adaptor or on the cord from the Tender, is compressed. It'll look normal, but if you run an awl, a small screwdriver, or knife blade into it & expand it you'll widen it enough to make contact again. Pretty common problem with that type of connection.

Jinks ('86fxrs, '07 FLTR)

Remember, "No good deed goes unpunished"
post #9 of 27 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 11:04 am Thread Starter

Something this simple is killing me! O.K. I replaced both the BMW plug & the flat plug even though all test showed them to be good, still reading voltage at the flat plug, plug in tender, don't work. plug in alligator clips to tender, connect to battery, it works. Windshield works, fuse good, also voltage at flat plug means good fuse. Why me?
post #10 of 27 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 11:36 am

Heard a rumor that corrosion inside the jack can cause this.
post #11 of 27 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 11:40 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You may have corrosion on the connector behind the plug. It will show 12.8 V on a meter but will not support a load. Plug some thing in that uses juice( a light, tire pump etc.) and see if it works. If it doesn't then clean up the connector.

That is about the only thing left.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #12 of 27 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 5:30 pm

Possible intermittent connection in the plug

Known problem with bmw type plugs. To check, unscrew the the bmw plug and check two little screws the mechanically secure the wires into the terminals inside the plug.
If the little screws are loose, intermittent contact occurs.
This might be your problem.
post #13 of 27 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 6:12 pm Thread Starter

Connection inside the plug was good, but I even replaced the plug. Also plugged in an air compressor & it [email protected]#^&S*&#@%
post #14 of 27 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 7:49 pm

Question positive to positive?

Quote:

The simple thing might be ....are you 100% sure you are positive to positive and negative to negative at the plug?

Anything but a charger would work either way at the plug. The charger has to have the correct connection. + to + and - to -. The plug on the bike might be backwards. I'd say the charger is wired right.

Just another suggestion. Hope you figure out the problem.
Vern

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #15 of 27 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 8:05 pm Thread Starter

The same setup's been working for 2 years, now it don't. On the BMW plug, is the center + & the outer ring -?
post #16 of 27 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 10:57 am

Thumbs up yep

Quote:
The same setup's been working for 2 years, now it don't. On the BMW plug, is the center + & the outer ring -?

Yep. That's the way it should be.

Something in your connections isn't making good contact.

I give up!.........Good luck though!

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #17 of 27 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 11:17 am

I know it's not much help but your measurement of 12.8 volts at the outlet and the plug is confusing me. The output of the charger will have to be higher than the battery voltage or there will be no current flow from the charger to the battery.

I have the BMW charger for gel batteries and I cannot get any reading if it is not plugged into a load. Connected to the power plug above the shifter, I read 14.4 volts with the red light on the charger flashings. I leave the battery charger on all of the time and my battery reads 13.8 volts.

Alan Stuber
Austin, Texas

post #18 of 27 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 11:27 am Thread Starter

What I mean is I get no lights on the charger when plugged in to the outlet above th shifter, but when I hook up the clips direct to the battery I get lights on the charger. All the connections are good to where the charger's flat 2 prong plug connects. Doesn't make any sense!
post #19 of 27 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 11:30 am Thread Starter

I give up, I'll just continue to pop the seat open & hook up to the battery. With enough time & the right 13 step program maybe I'll get over this & get on with my life.
post #20 of 27 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 3:33 pm

I don't think that there is anything wrong with the bike or the charger but it must be that there is something wrong with the little pig tail connector. Do you have another bike that you can confirm that it works?

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #21 of 27 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 3:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas42
I don't think that there is anything wrong with the bike or the charger but it must be that there is something wrong with the little pig tail connector. Do you have another bike that you can confirm that it works?
Replaced the whole thing, plugged in air comp. & it works, it also worked before I replaced the pigtail.
post #22 of 27 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 3:57 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas42
I know nothing is wrong with the bike cause it will run the air comp. I know nothing is wrong with the charger cause it works with the clips. Put the 2 working ends together & it don't work.
post #23 of 27 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 7:48 pm

Quote:
I know nothing is wrong with the bike cause it will run the air comp. I know nothing is wrong with the charger cause it works with the clips. Put the 2 working ends together & it don't work.
Hear that music? It is the theme song from The Twilight Zone!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #24 of 27 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 10:01 am

If nothing's wrong with the bike..........
and nothing's wrong with the charger.........

It must be the connection between the two...................

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #25 of 27 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 10:21 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARFIGHTER
If nothing's wrong with the bike..........
and nothing's wrong with the charger.........

It must be the connection between the two...................
The end from the bike works when I plug the comp. in it, the one from the charger works when I plug in the alligator clips to it. Both good, working ends together don't work.
post #26 of 27 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 10:21 am

Interesting..... I thought mine was the only strange one...... I have the same problem, but on the passenger outlet. I plug the charger to the driver outlet.
post #27 of 27 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 1:14 pm

The passenger outlet is switched on my 2002, but if you plug in the charger then switch off the ignition it will power the radio and all of the accessories because it keeps the relay open, scarred me once I couldn't get anything to turn off with the ignition.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in