BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Radio says "PHONE", nothing happens

1K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  WildernessJeep 
#1 ·
One of the first things I did during my ride back from Eugene, OR to Houston, TX was sit at a picnic rest area with a box of chicken and read all the manuals cover to cover. One of those manuals was the radio manual, but it fails to address this issue.

The bike runs fine. 1999 LT, with the tape player only, radio replaced under warranty by the previous owner. The bike has an autocom system installed, but I haven't used it, and don't plan on using it too often.

Every now and then, the radio just displays PHONE and stops all music. No button does anything to change the display. If I turn the bike off (to steering lock) then back on, the radio works fine about another 20-30 minutes of ride time, then reverts back to the PHONE display. Any pointers??

Also, while I have your attention, any ideas how hard it would be for me to add a CD changer to the bike?? Are the wires already there, or is it going to be pretty invasive?? Opinions??

Thanks again,

Robert

#2 ·
Robert
I have a CD changer I took out of mine if you decide to do it...................
sorry, not a clue about the "phone" thing...

#4 ·
WildernessJeep said:
Every now and then, the radio just displays PHONE and stops all music. No button does anything to change the display. If I turn the bike off (to steering lock) then back on, the radio works fine about another 20-30 minutes of ride time, then reverts back to the PHONE display. Any pointers??
Not many folks know about this feature. It is a reminder to call your wife. The repeat interval will actually increase in frequency until you get home.

Be glad you have a '99. The '05 and later models actually play an MP3 of your wife complaining about you being late.

#5 ·
Many folks have pulled out their CD changers, so they are readily available. But few 1999 bikes came withe the CD changer wiring installed, so that can add a significant expense. You should look in the right saddlebag and see if there are wires there.

But before I'd spend the money on a CD changer and loose lots of valuable trunk space, I'd look at an iPod or Satellite radio first. Much more choices for music, much smaller, and easier to install.

As to the random PHONE message, I'd guess it's a loose connection. The system looses the radio signal, so tries to switch to a different source. Since you don't have a cassette in place or a CD changer, then it defaults to phone.

You'll probably have to remove the radio stingray and clean and reset all connections. Good luck with this project and lev us know how it turns out.

#6 ·
Okay, I took it apart, cleaned it out, and seems to have fixed the PHONE issue for now. One of the antenna connections was pretty corroded, and I think that may have been the gremlin.

Now the CD changer. When you say look for the wires. In the right side pannier bag right?? I don't see anything. I don't see any wires behind it either. Where would they be?? Is there a wiring harness available from BMW??

Yes, XM radio is on the list, and will be installed soon. I was thinking about putting it in the little cupboard. How to connect to the radio?? I'm really not too fond of cutting factory wiring looms.

Thanks again for all your help.

Robert

#7 ·
WildernessJeep said:
Now the CD changer. When you say look for the wires. In the right side pannier bag right?? I don't see anything. I don't see any wires behind it either. Where would they be?? Is there a wiring harness available from BMW??
If the wire aren't there, I'd forget about trying to do it.

WildernessJeep said:
Yes, XM radio is on the list, and will be installed soon. I was thinking about putting it in the little cupboard. How to connect to the radio?? I'm really not too fond of cutting factory wiring looms.
You'd run it thru the Autocom.

#8 ·
WildernessJeep said:
Yes there is. You will have to replace the wiring harness that is attached to the back of the radio unit and ends on top of the tank, left side under the side panel (new harness will have an extra connector). And you will have to add the cable from that connector to the right side case. I have done this job when I had my '99 LT. Both harnesses set me back € 147,- in 2002.

#10 ·
alindsay said:
Do you have the part numbers?
From http://realoem.com
61.12.7.651.608 wiring harness, radio w/CD-changer
61.12.2.305.968 cable CD changer

I would have to check tonight at home to verify.

#11 ·
Robert
Autocom has a cable that can be soldered into the rear speakers with a switch to turn exterior speakers on or off and connected to your Autocom unit.
I have the connection diagram if you want.
With this cable in place, the XM music or CD can be heard thru helmet speakers.
I did this conversion and like it alot except when I try to sing, the Autocom turns down the volume as if I wanted to speak to passanger...........................
The XM has a much larger selection than you can carry in the CD changer and when placed in the stingray, is waterproofed...........BUT....
here in Oregon, I lose the signal constantly because of buttes/ forests............

#12 ·
Quote:

"...XM radio is on the list, and will be installed soon. I was thinking about putting it in the little cupboard. How to connect to the radio?? I'm really not too fond of cutting factory wiring looms."

There are a couple of options, including the wireless modulator if your XM radio is so equippled. I installed a hardwired FM modulator that not only gives better reception than the wireless feature, but also powers up the XM radio. The modulator fits between the radio and the antenna. You have to remove the "stingray", to get to the antenna cable. You also have to tap into the bike's power; I connected mine to the map light (there was plenty of wire with the modulator).

I am thinking of installing either a Zumo or a 2730, in part because they include an XM receiver. If so I will remove the modulator and put it up for sale, perhaps with my XM SkiFi car kit and the radio arm for the BMR shelf. Send me a PM if you can use any of this stuff.

#13 ·
I bought a Garmin 2820, and it gets XM along with the weather stuff on it. Great unit. My wife has kidnapped that one, so I may get another instead of the actual XM unit. I was going to mount it in the little cupboard thingy too, because I like the "clean" look of the stock LT. Any problems with using a little dremel to get it to fit?? What about removal of the tape player?? It's huge, and I don't even own a tape.

The thought of starfighter singing to himself tooling down the road on one badda$$ LT-trike does my spirit good.

#16 ·
Autocom also has a cable to connect that 2820 to the autocom system.....
I used it on my 2720..........doesn't turn down the volume of tunes for an announcement though.......................................................................

( I do a great version of Born to Be Wild)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.