HELP! Alarm went off now bike won't start! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 5:27 am Thread Starter

Exclamation HELP! Alarm went off now bike won't start!

Hey all. First off, I have gone through the FAQ section and cannot find anything particular to my problem, so someone please help!

It's a 2003 LT-C. When I parked the bike I set the alarm with the fob. Battery went dead. I tried to jump-start the bike and the alarm went off. Now even with charged battery the bike will not start, not even turn over.

Did the alarm going off disable the ignition somehow? I'm new to BMW so please understand the newbie question. When the alarm was going off I hit the fob to turn it off and it went off. But now the ignition won't start.

I did see in other posts about certain alarm systems at buildings interrupting the ignition somehow. My bike is parked at a storage facility. Could there be a problem with the alarm at my storage facility, or is there a sequence I need to complete on the fob to get the bike enabled to start again?

Thanks all, please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 5:54 am Thread Starter

Is this the solution?

Once this has happened, can the immobilizer be disabled (so the bike will start) with the fob or do you have to enter the code via the ignition and key?
post #3 of 13 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 7:24 am Thread Starter

Okay, I read the manual, I have my key fob, I tried entering the code with the ignition, Nothing Works! Someone please help!

post #4 of 13 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 7:28 am

Question

Do any of the lights on your LT flash when you press the top-left fob button?
post #5 of 13 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 7:39 am Thread Starter

Yes, just like normal, the turn signals flash 2X. Thanks for responding.
post #6 of 13 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 7:45 am

Two flashes means that the alarm system is armed. One flash means the system is disarmed. The LED on the right side of the dash (next to the headlight adjustment knob) should also flash once the immobilzer is armed. Try waiting about a minute between arming and disarming.

Also, make sure that the bike is NOT in reverse. And what about the kill switch?

Lastly, are you 100% positive that the battery is fully charged? You might want to try jumping it again.
post #7 of 13 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 8:03 am Thread Starter

As long as I've owned the bike, it flashes twice when arming with 2 beeps and flashes twice with two beeps and a weird sound at the end when disarming. Also, the engine didn't even turn over at all. Everything else on the bike works. Bike is definitely NOT in reverse and checked the kill switch. Even tried putting the kickstand up just in case a switch was bad, that didn't help either.

B
post #8 of 13 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 8:10 am

I would try jumping it again. Sounds to me like the battery isn't strong enough to operate the starter relay.
post #9 of 13 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 8:38 am

This same issue just occurred with my 03. I left my gps turned on an it ran the battery down. I jumped the bike off with my other bike, the LT went to a high idle, but only ran for a few minutes then cut off. When I tried to start it the alarm reset and went off, I turned the alarm off but the bike would not crank at all. I tried to jump it a second time, but it would not crank. I removed the battery from the bike, fully charged it, and replaced it in the bike.

After connecting the positive cable, I attached the negative contact and the alarm immediately went off. I silenced it with the key fob and continued connecting the battery.

With the battery fully charged and connected, I set the alarm waited for it to arm and then deactivated it. The bike then started.

I believe the fault was caused by the low battery. By removing it from the bike I allowed everything to reset and when I replaced the battery everything was back to normal.

So my advice is, remove the battery, fully charge it (check with a meter for 12.5 plus volts), reinstall it and see what happens. The lesson I learned is always check to make sure I turned everything off and hook up the battery tender.

Jim in GA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 3:35 pm Thread Starter

Okay guys, I've removed the battery after trying to jump-start it again with no luck. I have it on a charger as we speak and will have it fully charged before trying to re-insert it in the bike and start it.

I will keep you posted. Thanks to you all for your advice and ideas. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I had connected the battery from my truck to the bike and it still wouldn't crank. Could it really just be a low battery even when my fully charged battery in my truck wouldn't turn the motor over? Everything else was working, but wouldn't turn over.

Thanks again.
post #11 of 13 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 7:00 pm

Try pulling the fuse for the alarm system and see if it will start. Dealer pulled mine to work on the bike. I think it's on the horn circuit.....Thats for my 02....

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34° 14’ 12.63 N
119° 01’ 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.
post #12 of 13 Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 8:47 am

Re: HELP! Alarm went off now bike won't start!

FWIW, I saw this in a post about "Won't start," and it worked for me. On my '03 LTE, the battery discharged deeply and would barely light the dash indicators. I put it on the battery charger overnight and when I hit the key the next day, everything was back to normal, bright headlight, etc., but when I'd hit the starter button--nothing. You'd hear the faintest click deep in the bike, and if you hit it again within two seconds, no click. You have to wait two or three seconds for a reset, then you'd hear the click again, very faint. I checked the Reverser switch, kill switch, sidestand/in-gear situation, etc., to no avail. The fob worked the alarm arming and disarming apparently okay, but it was still locking out my starter.

In the post I read, one of the repliers (?) mentioned that when the battery gets that low, it can cause the anti-theft system to trip and lock out the starter. It'll remain in that condition until you set and unset it over and over until something different happens. In his case, it beeped once instead of twice; in mine, it flashed once instead of twice. When my sets, it flashes twice, no beep. When it unsets, it flashes twice and beeps once. So, when I saw a single flash (an unusual condition for my bike), I reset and unset the anti-theft one more time just to be sure and the bike started right up. On that last set/unset, it behaved as it always does: two flashes for set, two flashes and a beep for unset.

A final note: My bike didn't always have that pattern for set/unset. I can't remember what it was like when I first got it, but it was different. I think maybe one flash or beep for set, etc. Don't know when or why that changed, but it still works as designed, far as I can tell.

Hope that helps.
post #13 of 13 Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 10:33 am

Re: HELP! Alarm went off now bike won't start!

Interesting.

Since Dec 2006 Brian hasn´t posted or updated us on his alarm problem.

Could he have electrocuted himself ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in