BMW Quick Disconnects... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 12:26 pm Thread Starter

BMW Quick Disconnects...

Ok, I apologize in advance, but, I'ld rather be embarassed than have a crisis...

2003 K1200LT

I am getting ready to pull the tank for the first time - oh boy!

Do the factory quick disconnects 'close' when uncoupled? In other words, will fuel flow through the line after I uncouple them thereby meaning I should put a vice grip on the line?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 12:30 pm

Quick Disconnects

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfxray
Ok, I apologize in advance, but, I'ld rather be embarassed than have a crisis...

2003 K1200LT

Do the factory quick disconnects 'close' when uncoupled? In other words, will fuel flow through the line after I uncouple them thereby meaning I should put a vice grip on the line?
Shawn, I recently removed the tank on my 02 with QD's and they do 'close' and will not leak. I have now switched them to the brass QD's.

James Hart
2002 LTE Titan Silver
1992 Yamaha Virago 750 (given to friend)
River Oaks, TX
post #3 of 14 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 12:48 pm Thread Starter

Thanks James!

I am switching as well....

Ok, back to the garage!

post #4 of 14 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 1:08 pm

Exclamation

Quote:

2003 K1200LT

Yes Shawn, they do close and no gasoline on the floor (or on your hands for that matter). Since you are replacing with the brass units you will need to use the visegrip on the side that does have the shut-off valve, but not on the other side. Some have used pennies between the vise grip and the fuel line to spread the pressure put on the lines and not cause any damage.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 1:47 pm

Hmmm ... this is info on the metal quick disconnects that I've never seen before, or just never noticed. Let me get this straight, Gilles - the OEM plastic gas line quick disconnects seal both ends when disconnected (no gas leaks), whereas one side of the metal quick disconnects allows gas to flow when disconnected and must be clamped off manually. Is that correct?? Bit of a PIA ...

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #6 of 14 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 2:22 pm
Gold Supporter

The quick disconnects I got seal from both sides. You can buy them either way. The ones that seal are just higher. I got mine from Omega.
http://www.omega.com/pdf/tubing/coup...t-lcseries.asp

They have many styles and barb sizes available.

Jim Davidson
2007 R1200RT
post #7 of 14 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 3:52 pm

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_menton
Hmmm ... this is info on the metal quick disconnects that I've never seen before, or just never noticed. Let me get this straight, Gilles - the OEM plastic gas line quick disconnects seal both ends when disconnected (no gas leaks), whereas one side of the metal quick disconnects allows gas to flow when disconnected and must be clamped off manually. Is that correct?? Bit of a PIA ...

- Bob
Bob, let me clarify. If you just disconnect then the QD will stop the flow of gasoline. What I was talking about was when you want to replace the existing QD and have to remove the existing ones... then you need to stop the flow of gasoline upstream beforehand. Oh, and let's not forget to get new hose clamps as the factory ones are the non-re-usable type. You will need 4 of them.
The brass QDs work just the same as the plastic ones.
I hope to have cleared the confusion...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #8 of 14 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 3:59 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys!

Wasn't to bad getting the old ones off - 3 actually broke as I removed them. I did use vise-grips on the hose to hold it stationary (more or less)... Of course not caring what shape they were in when they were out played a role I am sure...

Got the fuel filter changed out as well...

Drained the radiator and reservoir while tank was off.... Funny thing , I was about to put the tank back on when I had one of those moments when a voice in my head said "What the heck are you doing? Fill the radiator while the tank is off!" -- the voice sounded like Grif! Probably 'cause I had just read a post where he suggested that...

Will put her all back together tomorrow - hopefully there won't be any leaks... and the ice/snow on my road will be melted enough to get out!
post #9 of 14 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 4:14 pm

Quote:
the voice sounded like Grif!
Man, I hope you can sleep tonight. is about right.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #10 of 14 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 6:37 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Man, I hope you can sleep tonight. is about right.
Don't worry, I have lots of voices in my head - yours was just another in the crowd...

Do appreciate the common sense tip though and all the info on the quick disconnects - can't wait to hook 'em tomorrow...

Have a good one amigo!
post #11 of 14 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 10:40 am

Shawn

Quote:

2003 K1200LT

The tank end closes !!
I do no think the ends on the rail side close (I always get fuel dribbling out on that side)

If you have plastic ones (factory)replace them with the below part numbers.
The plastic ones have been known to fail at inopportune times.

I have replaced mine with 2x 5478K81 and 2x 5478K121 from www.mcmaster.com

I also ordered a bag of o rings to replace each time I have the tank off(lost part number) also from Mcmaster.

Both those part numbers have shut off valves in both ends.

working like a champ.

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."
post #12 of 14 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 10:51 am

Rich,

Those aren't quite the right size. They are for 3/8" hose and we ideally need fittings for 5/16" hose. They are probably close enough to work though.

Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #13 of 14 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 7:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincook
Rich,

Those aren't quite the right size. They are for 3/8" hose and we ideally need fittings for 5/16" hose. They are probably close enough to work though.

Kevin
Putting fittings with barbs for 3/8" I.D. hose into hose with 5/16" I.D is difficult at best, at worst will damage the hose to the point that it splits under vibration/use.

The hose for the LT is as you say, 5/16" I.D.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #14 of 14 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 1:04 pm
Gold Supporter

The Omega Part Numbers for the 5/16th barbed type connectors are as follows.
FT-LCD170-05 & FT-LCD220-05
Omega was a little slow to deliver, but the quality was good.

Jim Davidson
2007 R1200RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in