Emergency Lights - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 10:49 am Thread Starter

Emergency Lights

Anybody who has ridden a GT will have noticed the new system BMW use to activate them i.e. by pressing both turn signals at the same time.

I think this is excellent, and dont know if it is standard on all their new bikes.

My question is : does anybody know if it can be adapted to the LT ?.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 10:55 am

Doesn't the LT already have a button for the emergency lights?
post #3 of 33 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 11:24 am Thread Starter

Correct, but to activate them you have to take one hand of the grip.

With the new system you just use your two thumbs together without letting go.

post #4 of 33 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 11:45 am

That does sound a bit safer
post #5 of 33 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 12:06 pm

Very interesting. Harley's have done it this way for many years. Would love to be able to adapt the LT to this functionality. If not something BMW can do, surely someone can devise a little plug-in/splice-in black box to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles
Anybody who has ridden a GT will have noticed the new system BMW use to activate them i.e. by pressing both turn signals at the same time.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 33 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 12:26 pm

Anything's possible, but at what length is the question. The newer BMWs have a CANbus system, so everything is controlled via software. The LT has a hardware-based electrical system. It makes my head spin just thinking what hardware you'd need to put in place to get this "feature" to work on the LT. Better get out your soldering gun and a PC board.
post #7 of 33 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 3:45 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Hazard Warning Lights...

... is the correct term in the US. They are there to warn approaching drivers of a vehicular hazard. I too use them to enhance survivability when freeway traffic is coming to an unexpected stand still and I am ahead of the next pack of cages. All too often (at least here in the south) they are used to create emergency vehicles out of family sedans, running red lights, speeding and such.

Actually you could sort of do this with one relay and an auto switch to control the relay. You would just have to press and hold one turn signal instead of both. But I have not had any trouble using the button on the LT. It is right next to the cruise control.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #8 of 33 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 11:41 pm

I like where it is also. Easy to hit to me.
I 've had other bikes you really had to let go and reach for the switch.
It was a pleasant surprise when I got LT.

Mick
'00LT Canyon red "Miss Ruby"
'99 LT Basalt grey "Coyote"
post #9 of 33 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 12:01 am

Uh...one more thing...

anyone else ever notice that at night the o-ficial hazard light switch also illuminates?

why mess with a good thing?

(PS the RT's hazards are activated the same way, I like to think that the LT, being the "Premiere" motorcycle in the BMW line, does it a little different for a reason.)

and like it was posted above, if you're in a situation where you can't slide your left grip upwards just beyond the cruise control to the button, then you have a hell of a lot more pressing issues than whether you can activate your "four ways" to deal with at the moment...

my two cents, but what the hell do I know...(then again, I haven't actually TRIED to hold down both turn signals on my LT, wouldn't that be a kick in the pants if that works, too?)

Pete

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #10 of 33 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 5:44 am Thread Starter

Pete,
Tried that before asking here !.
Yes, hazard warning lights is the term I was thinking about.
I agree that it is not difficult to press the button when needed, as when traffic is coming to a sudden halt on freeways/motorways, but if you try the GT system, you will find how much easier it is.
Bet the new LT, whenever that is, will have same.
And remember the button is iluminated because you have to LOOK for it.
With the GT, it is a natural movement of the thumbs whilst keeping your eyes ON the road.
post #11 of 33 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 6:53 am

Quote:
And remember the button is iluminated because you have to LOOK for it.
With the GT, it is a natural movement of the thumbs whilst keeping your eyes ON the road.
If you have to LOOK for a control,
Get that bike off the road
One of the main things they look for when giving kids the drivers test is do they know where the vehicle controls are and how to operate them
Take the thing into a parking lot and learn your machine.
I ride with Bar end mitts (Hippo hands) late fall to early spring, every control is covered, OUT OF SITE.
You don't look for the shifter or brake, you know where they are, it is not that much of a stretch to learn where the other stuff is at. Knowing and practicing how to act react intuitively will save you 100 to 1 over built in safety features like ABS.
Rock
post #12 of 33 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 9:19 am Thread Starter

Then why is it iluminated ?.
post #13 of 33 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 10:48 am

Quote:
Then why is it iluminated ?.
I have no idea, maybe when they first put it on, they thought it would be an extra sales hook.
"Oh yeah did you notice the lighted 4way hazard lights switch right here within easy reach?"
The ones in cars and trucks aren't lit up (least none I have ever owned) and people still find them with no problem.
Any time you have to take your eyes off the road, you put yourself in danger. I'm sure there is more than one rider on this site that has went down, (whether they will admitt it or not is another story) because they had their attention on some farkle or other.
Maybe that should be a poll, maybe unnamed, just numbers!
Rock
post #14 of 33 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 3:11 am Thread Starter

As far as I know, all BMWs have had illuminated hazard lights buttons, EXCEPT for the GT. This system could only work with BMW anyway, as they are the only manufacturer to have individual switches for the turning lights on each grip.

From your post, I take it that you never know what speed you are doing because you never ever take your eyes off the road to check your speedo.

Rock,

I will listen to advice, but I do not like it being shouted at me.
From your profile I see you were born in 1958.
I was born in 1947 and got my first bike, a Bultaco, when you were 2 years old.

My first "real" bike, a 350 cc I bought when I was 17, when you were 6.
I was driving double-decker red London buses in central London when I was 23 and at 25 was driving 50 ft articulated trucks all over Europe.

The British driving tests for both types of vehicle are rigourous.

I have ridden bikes on dusty roads and tracks in North Africa several times.
I have ridden in Italy, France, Germany, Switzerland and Spain, amongst other countries in Europe.
Anybody who has been to these countries will testify that in some of them, it can sometimes be "exhilirating", to say the least.

I have ridden along the coast from Monaco (France) to Genoa (Italy) several times, a motorway that goes in and out of tunnels hundreds of times with traffic moving a speeds at over 90 mph.

Lastly, but not least, I have driven several times in and out of the UK, where, as you probably know, they drive on the left side of the road.
Adapting to this, on both sides, something that you may never experience, can, for the first few miles, test the abilities of even the most experienced driver/rider, especially when you come to the first, what we English call, roundabout.

Good health,

Simon
post #15 of 33 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 9:30 am

All my Beemers since the thumb-signals ('84) have had this capability. I use the switch when I want to have them on and move my thumbs.

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #16 of 33 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 9:54 am

Quote:
As far as I know, all BMWs have had illuminated hazard lights buttons, EXCEPT for the GT.

From your post, I take it that you never know what speed you are doing because you never ever take your eyes off the road to check your speedo.

Rock,

I will listen to advice, but I do not like it being shouted at me.

Good health,

Simon
Lets do this point by point
I have had 6 BMW mc's only the K1200LT has had a lighted switch (all were K models except one)

No I don't look at the speedo much at all unless the fuzzbuster goes off.

Not shouting at you at all, years that someone has lived, does not translate into miles in the saddle. I see people scraped of the road everyweek , that have lived longer than me.
Was just stating the FACT
Not knowing your machine can get you killed instantly
Live Well Ride Long
Rock
post #17 of 33 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 12:39 pm

I can't believe what I'm reading here!!! Sound like a bunch of spoiled little brats.......

Somebody has a book out......it's called "How To Get Over the Little Things in Life"....or something like that. A bunch of you need to read it. Right on ROCK!

Patterson/USAF1....'05 LT
and the little guy behind me is the world famous "Marty Hill"
Never look into a lazer with the remaining eye
363K on BMW's
post #18 of 33 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 2:34 pm Thread Starter

Patterson,

You are obviously referring to me, fair enough, everybody is free to have an opinion.

From asking about the possibilty of adapting the GT system of hazard warning lights to the LT, this thread, through no wish of my own, has turned into a critism of my riding ability, or lack of my knowledge of my bike.

Also fair enough, but in my humble opinion, that is my problem not anybody elses.

I have never said, and never will say, that I am a better (or worse) rider than anyone else, and if I did want to express that opinion, which I very much doubt, I would send them a PM saying so.

Before finishing, I would like to say that for the past 9 years or so I have and am a regular reader and contributor on 3 other web sites dedicated to bikes and their owners, and not once in any of them have I read anybody telling them how or not to ride their bikes, or in this case to "take the bike off the road".

I am sure Rock is probably worried about my personal safety, but I still feel that there are other ways of expressing them.

Thankyou,

Simon
post #19 of 33 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 3:55 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Heck Simon, I'd ride with you. Never got the chance to do Spain while we were overseas, and I'm still bummed about that. And your North Africa trip sounded like a blast.

I find that local guides can be invaluable in new areas, and meeting new and old friends is always a plus.

But what do I know? I'd even ride with Rock. Or Joe, for that matter.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #20 of 33 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 3:59 pm

Quote:
Patterson,

You are obviously referring to me, fair enough, everybody is free to have an opinion.

From asking about the possibilty of adapting the GT system of hazard warning lights to the LT, this thread, through no wish of my own, has turned into a critism of my riding ability, or lack of my knowledge of my bike.

Also fair enough, but in my humble opinion, that is my problem not anybody elses.

I have never said, and never will say, that I am a better (or worse) rider than anyone else, and if I did want to express that opinion, which I very much doubt, I would send them a PM saying so.

Before finishing, I would like to say that for the past 9 years or so I have and am a regular reader and contributor on 3 other web sites dedicated to bikes and their owners, and not once in any of them have I read anybody telling them how or not to ride their bikes, or in this case to "take the bike off the road".

I am sure Rock is probably worried about my personal safety, but I still feel that there are other ways of expressing them.

Thankyou,

Simon

Simon

You're wrong...............I didn't even read your post.

Patterson/USAF1....'05 LT
and the little guy behind me is the world famous "Marty Hill"
Never look into a lazer with the remaining eye
363K on BMW's
post #21 of 33 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 6:14 am

Yeah, but he's still got to ride with me and I just know he'll be complaining about having to wait 30 minutes or so for me to catch up.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #22 of 33 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 8:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixchard
That does sound a bit safer

Why would this be safer??? In most states you can not ride with the 4 way flashers on, so you would have to be stopped to put them on anyway. So it would not matter one hand or two. My .02 cent worth.
post #23 of 33 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 6:05 pm

Quote:

I think this is excellent, and dont know if it is standard on all their new bikes.

My question is : does anybody know if it can be adapted to the LT ?.
A couple of thoughts:
First it's my guess that BMW changed the Hazard activation because they needed the space for something else (ESA?). When they needed a space for the elec centerstand on the new LT they put the centerstand control button in the space previously occupied by the BC (onboard computer).
Second, if you push both turn signals at the same time all turnsignals will flash as long as you continue to hold them.

Bruce Hodges
post #24 of 33 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 11:02 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
In South Korea it's common to turn on the four-way flashers when traffic slows suddenly due to congestion, but hasn't yet stopped. I thought that was a bit odd, but recently I've noticed more folks doing the same here in the States.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #25 of 33 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 7:45 am Thread Starter

Bruce,
that is true, and I didnt try it until I rode the GT. It also does the same on my 98 R1200C.

Meese,
same in Europe. It helps warn the people behind you that traffic is still moving, but coming to a standstill. I think it is very effective, as the warning passes "up the line" pretty quickly.

I think I read somewhere that Mercedes were thinking of incorporating it into their braking system i.e. when the driver brakes suddenly really hard, the hazard warning lights automatically start flashing, although the vehicle might still be moving.

Simon

Last edited by simoncharles; Dec 10th, 2006 at 7:51 am.
post #26 of 33 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 8:17 am

Smile Defence best Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
In South Korea it's common to turn on the four-way flashers when traffic slows suddenly due to congestion, but hasn't yet stopped. I thought that was a bit odd, but recently I've noticed more folks doing the same here in the States.
Well when a abrupt Break check or hazard occurs in heavy traffic I always hit the flashers . I feel this can alert traffic behind me to drive defensive or wake up. Prior to most of these road conditions I get the heads up on the CB.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #27 of 33 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 8:41 am

Quote:
--------------------------This system could only work with BMW anyway, as they are the only manufacturer to have individual switches for the turning lights on each grip.-------------------------------

Simon
Wrong. Many (if not all) Harleys have individual side switches. You hit them once to signal, second time cancels them. At least my Son in Law's '97 Heritage SoftTail was like that.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #28 of 33 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 8:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman587
Why would this be safer??? In most states you can not ride with the 4 way flashers on, so you would have to be stopped to put them on anyway. So it would not matter one hand or two. My .02 cent worth.
I was thinking the same thing. I just checked the CA vehicle code though, and found this section:

(3) To warn other motorists of accidents or hazards on a roadway, turn signal lamps may be flashed as warning lights while the vehicle is approaching, overtaking, or passing the accident or hazard on the roadway if the front turn signal lamps at each side are being flashed simultaneously and the rear turn signal lamps at each side are being flashed simultaneously.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #29 of 33 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 9:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray
Well when a abrupt Break check or hazard occurs in heavy traffic I always hit the flashers . I feel this can alert traffic behind me to drive defensive or wake up. Prior to most of these road conditions I get the heads up on the CB.
This is also my main use of them.
I do not take my eyes from whatever reason, that gives me the need to warn other drivers, to look for the switch.
When I have a cushion of vehicles behind me that have slowed and wont run into me, I'll switch them off.
Rock
post #30 of 33 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 1:10 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Not to hijack this fascinating discussion, but how useful is the CB in the real world? I've never had one on a bike, but think it might be useful on a long road trip. Do you just scan channel 19 for reports from the trucks?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #31 of 33 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 5:36 am

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Not to hijack this fascinating discussion, but how useful is the CB in the real world? I've never had one on a bike, but think it might be useful on a long road trip. Do you just scan channel 19 for reports from the trucks?
Ken
I use the cb to alert myself to weather conditions ,road surface conditions, traffic accidents,road closures, and smokey bear conditions ( great asset to the v-1 ). Channel 19 is the most reliable big truck channel. Good on long and short trips. Remember where cell phones crash the cb keeps humin.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #32 of 33 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 9:50 am

Laffs unless you have XM radio you always loose the radio station(s) with a CB on 19 there is normally endless chatter to help break the time between stops and occasionally you do hear a useful tid-bit of helpful info.
"hey northbound whats it look like over your mudflaps?" "You got a full grown bear at the 137/3!" Oh wow... let see I'm at the 212/7.

I like tapping the GPS pulling up the cell phone dialing 511 and asking for traffic on (pick road). Friendly recording says there are 1,459 incidents on (pick road) you can hear one or all. incident # 212, wreck southbound, major traffic backup for 9 miles.. Hey that must be the reason I'm stopped. So is everyone else.. I may as well turn off the 4-ways.

Mike
06 K1200 LT
01 Corvette Conv (RED)
BMWMOA # 128948
IBA #19196
post #33 of 33 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 1:46 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
So what are you guys using for a CB that actually works? All I usually hear about are integration problems and transmit squealing.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in