Need Help - MapSource City Navigator Software - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Dec 4th, 2006, 9:30 pm Thread Starter

Need Help - MapSource City Navigator Software

Beemer Friends,

Hello.. I need some help.

I recently sold my 2003 K1200LT with a StreetPilot III. However, I lost disk 1 of my MapSource City Navigator North America 4.01.

By any chance would anyone be willing to cut me a copy of yours? I don't want the unlock codes or anything of that nature. I have those, I just lost the CD.

I sold the bike to purchase a new GT and when showing the new owner how to use the software, I noticed the disc (#1) was GONE! It was really embarassing and I still can't find the disc anywhere.

My next step is to contact Garmin to see if this can still be purchased. I just thought that I would give this a try. I am a member here as well. You can look up my posting, I am reputable.

Also, I would be willing to "Donate" a couple bucks for shipping/postage. I do say donate so noone gets in trouble for copying the software.

Please let me know if you can help or you have any ideas.

Sincerely,

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 6:39 am

Thoughts

I'm no expert but your unlock codes are probably specific to your disk and won't work with someone else's disk.
If someone "shares" their disk with you they'll probably have to give you their unlock code. And since Garmin registers owners online, like so many modern software vendors, they'll probably know that a disk has been "shared". Just guessing here, but "borrowing" a disk probably isn't the best solution to your problem.

If you have your original unlock code, why don't you just give Garmin a call and explain the situation. I don't know how they'd respond in a situation like this but their customer support has always been good for me.

You may just end up buying a new version, depending on how old the version you have is, you'll get an improved database.
post #3 of 11 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 8:24 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
I'm no expert but your unlock codes are probably specific to your disk and won't work with someone else's disk.
If someone "shares" their disk with you they'll probably have to give you their unlock code. And since Garmin registers owners online, like so many modern software vendors, they'll probably know that a disk has been "shared". Just guessing here, but "borrowing" a disk probably isn't the best solution to your problem.
Actually the unlock codes are tied to the GPS unit. I found this out when Garmin replaced my 2610 and sent me new unlock codes for that unit. I had to enter it into the unit when I re-installed my old 2 Gig CF card that I had removed from the failed unit.

But I will echo your comment about Garmin tech support - there is none finer!

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 12:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Actually the unlock codes are tied to the GPS unit.
Yepperz. I sent someone a copy of my version 5 disc, no problem.

But finding a copy of version 4.01 is going to be a bit tougher...me thinks. Good luck to ya Bud.
post #5 of 11 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 12:33 pm

I think I have 4.01 at home, it is the original disk that came with my SP III. However, it is necessary to keep it as long as I am using the software, as all the follow on upgrades are no good if ever upgrading the computer system to a new one, which I just did. I had to re-install 4.01 using the unlock codes, then apply the latest upgrade to it. The upgrades will not install stand-alone as far as I know.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #6 of 11 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 12:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
The upgrades will not install stand-alone as far as I know.
That is correct.
post #7 of 11 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 1:19 pm

Bud --

I have 4.08, which is a minor revision that you would have been entitled to anyway. Let me look for the disk tonight. If you have Roxio CD/DVD Creator (or whatever it is called), I can email you a disc image file that you could burn to CD media without waiting for the mail.

Of course, I have to find the disc first

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNASH88
Beemer Friends,

[...] However, I lost disk 1 of my MapSource City Navigator North America 4.01.

By any chance would anyone be willing to cut me a copy of yours? I don't want the unlock codes or anything of that nature. I have those, I just lost the CD. [...]

Bud

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #8 of 11 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 1:43 pm

Hi Bud;

I see you have a number of offers for help - here is another. I have three (3) garmin original City Nav 4.01 Disc 1, (but only one of disc 2) due to a screw-up when I purchased the SPIII. If you want one of the original disc 1 software send me a PM with your contact info. I am in Toronto so mail may be up to a week, and I could send it tomorrow - (after that I am away until the beginning of next week)

Steve Collier
'05 KLT
post #9 of 11 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 5:23 pm Thread Starter

Unbelievable!!!!! Mystery Solved!

Guys...

Your not going to believe this.... After literally weeks of looking for this disk with no luck.

I got home from work today and there it is sitting on the kitchen counter.

My lovely wife bless her heart found it. Then she remembered when she was cleaning the house one afternoon she put it in one of her longenberger baskets.

Anyhow.... It has been found!!! Thanks a bunch guys for offering to help!

Sincerely,

Bud
post #10 of 11 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 6:50 pm

Thumbs up

Roseanne Barr was right. Women really do have a UTD.

Uterine Tracking Device.
post #11 of 11 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 12:06 am

nahhhh, he said "wife," that means she hid it from him for something he did wrong that he doesn't even know he did wrong and has been secretly laughing her ass off about it...

Pete "Married for thirteen years" Van Dyke

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in