Dropped it NINE times from Eugene, OR to Houston, TX !!!!!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Dec 4th, 2006, 11:01 am Thread Starter

Dropped it NINE times from Eugene, OR to Houston, TX !!!!!!

WILL NOTHING KEEP THIS INFERNAL MOTORCYCLE UPRIGHT ?!?!?!?!

I picked up my new-to-me 1999 Canyon Red K1200LT, after flying up from Houston. Due to the weather, I had to take 101 south, and didn't even make it to the Oregon state line before a slow speed turn went horribly wrong. Luckily, it hit the dirt, so not too much damage.

Drop 2 was at the first gas stop, while trying to get the bike up on the centerstand, so I could fill it all the way up.

Drop 3 was getting it off the centerstand at the same pump. Apparently it helps to be on the bike when getting it off the centerstand.

Drop 4 wasn't my fault. A lady backed into it in the parking lot while I was eating lunch. She claims I shouldnt' have parked there, but she's the one that hit a stationary object.

Drop 5 was when I pulled over to pee, and the shoulder was sloped more than the kickstand lean-over angle, falling to the high side.

Drop 6 Wind (or something) blew it over in New Mexico, and apparently it laid there sideways all night outside the hotel. I had to put 4 quarts of oil into the engine to get the sightglass full, but I was careful and followed the owners manual, making sure to fill it on the sidestand.

Drop 7 I got pulled over for mooning a schoolbus full of cheerleaders, and forgot to put the kickstand down when I got off to fully express myself to the state trooper.

Drop 8 Dropped it again at a gas pump. I got so pissed off, I almost put diesel fuel into the tank (oops).

Drop 9 Pulling into my driveway, the front tire kicked out on the bump, dropped it in front of all my neighbors.

So what am I doing wrong?? Why won't this infernal machine stay upright?? Maybe I should have gotten a smaller bike to learn on, but I really wanted a big bike so I'm safer in an accident. Any pointers???

Now, if I can only keep it upright.........

Last edited by WildernessJeep; Dec 4th, 2006 at 11:39 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Dec 4th, 2006, 11:10 am

I cannot determine if you were joking or not. Did you REALLY drop it?

One glaring statement: "Drop 2 was at the first gas stop, while trying to get the bike up on the centerstand, so I could fill it all the way up."

No matter whether you did drop it or not, but the statement is wrong. You get more in the tank on the side stand than on the center stand.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 17 Old Dec 4th, 2006, 11:20 am

Thumbs up

So... Robert, how many times did you REALLY drop it???
By the way you need to put the bike on the side stand to fill her up, not the center stand.
When using the side stand make sure it is fully deployed! You may also want to put the bike in 1st gear to keep it from rolling forward and watch it drop.
Better be on the bike to take her off the center stand until you are comfortable with the beast (it took me several months to be 100% comfy with the bike at low speed and a passenger on board).
Putting her on the center stand does not take muscles... just the right technique, which has been described in great lengths on this forum. Basically look toward the back of the bike, grab the left bar with your left hand, grab the "put her on the center stand" handle with the right hand, step on the center stand thingie with your right foot, make sure the bike is centered (both sides of the stand are on the ground), rock the beast gently forward and back while putting all your weight on your right foot and pull up with your right hand.
Confused yet???
When you stop to pee, regardless of the bike being on the side or center stand, be sure to be upwind!
The darn wind in NM and AZ can be tricky. I lost a saddle bag on the F650 as I was riding with my knee out to the wind to keep going straight. That is when I missed having the weight of the LT.
Glad to know you enjoyed your ride and that you made it home safely.
Now we expect a full ride report...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 Old Dec 4th, 2006, 11:36 am

Good laughs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
I cannot determine if you were joking or not. Did you REALLY drop it?
Had me going, too, there, for a minute.
"Seriously though, I bought the bike from Patrick in Eugene, made it all the way home without a scratch."
Dave - Whole post up to this point was a joke, as I see it...

Good post!

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)
post #5 of 17 Old Dec 4th, 2006, 11:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweintechnik
Had me going, too, there, for a minute.
"Seriously though, I bought the bike from Patrick in Eugene, made it all the way home without a scratch."
Dave - Whole post up to this point was a joke, as I see it...

Good post!

I wasn't sure if he was referring to himself or the bike when he says he made it home without a scratch.

If you have actually dropped the bike 9 times I would suggest an MSF course and a smaller bike. The bike can be tough.....but not that tough.

Good Luck,
Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #6 of 17 Old Dec 4th, 2006, 11:59 am

Drop it all you want, we do. I've personally dropped your bike a few times myself. But, whatever you do, don't quit mooning busloads of cheerleaders. It's the simple thangs in life that cause happiness.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #7 of 17 Old Dec 4th, 2006, 12:21 pm

Now you stop to pee, when did they start that?
Rock
post #8 of 17 Old Dec 4th, 2006, 12:27 pm

Rock,

I'm guessing you're already familiar with This little gem

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #9 of 17 Old Dec 4th, 2006, 12:56 pm

well...(shameless plug)

I still say you should buy nine DA pins...

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #10 of 17 Old Dec 4th, 2006, 12:57 pm

Question

Robert
How was the ride ?
Which route did you take ?
What adventures ?

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #11 of 17 Old Dec 4th, 2006, 6:20 pm

Ya, it is a tough bike to learn on.
I started out on a 2 stroke GT185 - small enough for ya?
You are going to learn the hard-way (don't use center stand at gas station).
Take the MSF beginner course and learn on "their" 250s.
and/or
Take the ERC, at least there will be people around to help you pick it up.
and/or
Take your own advise, buy a cheap small bike.
Then ride the LT.
Its just the first year that's tough.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #12 of 17 Old Dec 4th, 2006, 6:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildernessJeep
[B]Dropped it NINE times from Eugene, OR to Houston, TX !!!!!!
Other than that, how was the trip?
post #13 of 17 Old Dec 4th, 2006, 8:12 pm

Dude,

That's the funniest thing I have read in a long time. Personally, after the fifth time, I would have gotten a gun and shot myself. Just to spare further embarrassment.

Thanks,
Steve
post #14 of 17 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 9:16 am

Wow, that was great. Thanks. Busload of chearleaders...priceless!

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #15 of 17 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 9:29 am
Gold Supporter

Amazed you made it home alive.

I would agree the LT takes some getting acquainted with to avoid dropping, but instead of improving you got worse as the trip went on. My suggestion is to stay close in the neighborhood back streets with no traffic or an empty parking lot with no obstruction until you gain confidence on how to handle the bike at slow speeds or a stop. You must be an expert at picking it up by now. Hope you don't hurt yourself in more ways then one.

Buy the way when you sell your bike on this site you might have to use an alas so you can suggest that it was never dropped.

2005 - K1200 LT Blue
The best in life is yet to come!
post #16 of 17 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 10:24 am

Drop 6 Wind (or something) blew it over in New Mexico, and apparently it laid there sideways all night outside the hotel. I had to put 4 quarts of oil into the engine to get the sightglass full, but I was careful and followed the owners manual, making sure to fill it on the sidestand.

Glad it was a joke cause if you did the above you'd be well above full with oil....

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)
post #17 of 17 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 12:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildernessJeep
WILL NOTHING KEEP THIS INFERNAL MOTORCYCLE UPRIGHT ?!?!?!?!
Simple...
Skill and brains.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in