Slave Cylinder/Transmission removal photos - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 7:33 pm Thread Starter

Slave Cylinder/Transmission removal photos

Jerod DeJong is helping me with a clutch replacement because we discovered the Slave Cylinder leaked DOT 4 brake fluid into the clutch housing area (while going in to drill the weep hole). Getting the transmission out is not that difficult, just time consuming.

However, without Jerod at my side, I'd be going through night sweats about getting it back together. Thanks Jerod!

For those interested in photos and some explanation to suppliment the manuals on how to get the transmission out and what it looks like, here's some overview photos.

I'll post some detail photos separately.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3-1305.jpg
Views:	980
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	8492   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-1303-anotated.jpg
Views:	863
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	8493   Click image for larger version

Name:	2-1304.jpg
Views:	770
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	8494   Click image for larger version

Name:	4-1292-anotated.jpg
Views:	890
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	8495   Click image for larger version

Name:	1300-trans-housing-overview.jpg
Views:	927
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	8496  

Regards,
John
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 7:54 pm

Thumbs up Great pix!

Great photos John.
While you were at it, did you also replace the output shaft seal? Did it need to be replaced (sign of leakage, etc...)?

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 11:14 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Great photos John.
While you were at it, did you also replace the output shaft seal? Did it need to be replaced (sign of leakage, etc...)?
I'm going to order parts tomorrow or Tuesday. I didn't notice leakage, but I'm going to replace it.

Regards,
John

post #4 of 13 Old Dec 4th, 2006, 9:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgburns
I'm going to order parts tomorrow or Tuesday. I didn't notice leakage, but I'm going to replace it.
Very wise move! That seal tends to start leaking, but the more usual culprit is the O-ring on the shaft. It gets hard, and sometimes has to be picked out in pieces. Don't know why they don't use Viton there. It would be a good move to measure a new O-ring to see what size it is and get a Viton replacement.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 13 Old Dec 4th, 2006, 9:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgburns
Super information John!
BTW are you REBUILDING or REPLACING the slave? My local BMW mechanic said they VASTLY redesigned / reinforced the entire slave cylinder (mid 2005 on >)to prevent the cause of failure and he suggests replacing it. He also said he has not seen one failure from the new slave..but IMO not enough 'time tested'.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #6 of 13 Old Dec 4th, 2006, 10:21 am

Question same part #

[QUOTE=SmokinJoe]Super information John!
BTW are you REBUILDING or REPLACING the slave? My local BMW mechanic said they VASTLY redesigned / reinforced the entire slave cylinder (mid 2005 on >)to prevent the cause of failure and he suggests replacing it.
That may be true but the part numbers are the same. I will be swapping my control this winter well see if so.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #7 of 13 Old Dec 4th, 2006, 10:23 am

Garage
Nice pix, John.
Be really careful when replacing gearbox seals. I got to do mine again because the first time I pushed the rear input shaft seal in too far -the one where the slave cylinder goes. Good test is to tilt the gearbox after new seals are installed - should not leak.
I eventually got my local dealer to seat that seal with their special drift.
The rear main engine seal is probably worth doing as well. I installed mine by putting it on the clutch housing and pressing it in by tightening the big center nut. It will not be quite flush, so I removed the housing, put the old seal on it, tightened the nut again and when the two met, gave it about 1 1/2 turns. Should then be flush with the housing.
Another tip. when re-assembling clutch, use the actuator rod to position the spring diaphragm.

-Brian Louw
Arroyo Grande, CA.

2013 K1600GT - Light Grey Metallic
2016 R1200GSA
post #8 of 13 Old Dec 4th, 2006, 11:40 am

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Very wise move! That seal tends to start leaking, but the more usual culprit is the O-ring on the shaft. It gets hard, and sometimes has to be picked out in pieces. Don't know why they don't use Viton there. It would be a good move to measure a new O-ring to see what size it is and get a Viton replacement.
The mystery revealed.

Viton® O-rings and Seals Last Longer
Viton® o-rings can help you reduce costs by preventing seal failures, extending maintenance intervals, handling more aggressive fluids and higher temperatures, increasing safety and meeting stringent environmental regulations. With Viton®, you can meet these needs with performance proven by decades of service in harsh environments.

Reduce Lifetime Costs

Viton® far outlasts nitriles and other general-purpose elastomers. It allows you to extend service intervals and stretch maintenance budgets.

Cut Unscheduled Downtime

Viton® o-rings protect against unscheduled downtime because it provides increased reliability. You can extend warranty periods with greater confidence.

Increase Temperature Capability

In many applications, rubber parts are stressed by accidental temperature excursions as well as by increases in operating temperatures designed to increase production. In some situations, Viton® can serve continuously at 204°C with excursions to 315°C.

Stand Up To Aggressive Fluids

Viton® performs well in a wide range of aggressive fluid environments. Systems can tolerate changes in fluids and have more versatility for broader application.

Comply With Tougher Regulations

Environmental regulations have raised the stakes for leaks, spills, and emissions. Viton® helps guard against these problems to improve plant and automotive operations.

Proven Performance

Since its introduction in 1957, Viton® has solved sealing and other problems in major industries:

Aircraft and Aerospace
Automotive
Chemical Processing and Transportation
Off-Highway and Heavy-Duty Equipment
Petroleum Refining and Transportation
Major uses include bonded seals, radial lip seals, caulks, coatings, vibration dampeners, expansion joints, gaskets, o-rings, piston seals, custom shapes, and stock rod and sheets.

A Tough Contender

The compatibility of Viton® fluoroelastomers with some important chemical media is shown in the table below. The capabilities of other elastomers shown for comparison can be helpful when you are considering changing materials to increase reliability or accommodate more severe operating conditions.

Viton® also offers mechanical ruggedness so seals and components resist damage during installation and use. Basic mechanical property data listed show that Viton® compares favorably with other elastomers in tensile strength, range of hardness and resistance to compression set.

Viton® retains sealing force to prevent leaks even after compression for long periods in severe environments. After 100 hours in air at 150°C, Viton® retains more than 90% of its original sealing force, while seals of fluorosilicone, polyacrylate and nitrile retain only 70, 58 and 40% respectively.

Viton® has excellent resistance to atmospheric oxidation, sunlight and ozone. After 20 years of exposure to direct sunlight, seals of Viton® showed no traces of cracking. Also, Viton® did not crack after one year in an atmosphere containing 100 ppm ozone.

Common
Name Neoprene Ethylene
Propylene Nitrile Silicone Fluoro-
silicone Viton® Viton®
ETP Kalrez®
Chemical Compatibility1
Lubricating and Fuel Oils 2 4 1 4 1 1 1 1
Hydraulic Oils 2 4 1 2,3 1 1 1 1
Fireproof Hydraulic Fluids 2 1 3 3 4 4 2 1
Vegetable Oils, Animal Fats 2,3 2,3 1 1,3 1 1 1 1
Gasoline (high octane) 3,4 4 1,2 4 1 1 1 1
Kerosene 2 4 1 4 1 1 1 1
Aromatic Hydrocarbons 4 4 2,4 4 2,3 1 1 1
Aliphatic Hydrocarbons 2 4 1 4 2 1 1 1
Alcohols 1 2 1 2 1,2 1 1 1
Ketones 3,4 1 4 4 4 4 2 1
Halogenated Solvents 4 4 4 4 1,2 2 1,2 2
Water (>80°C) 3 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Concentrated Acids 4 4 4 4 3 1-22 2 1
Diluted Acids 2,3 2 3,4 4 3 1 1 1
Alkalis 1,2 1 2 1,2 2 4 1 1
Properties
Max. Continuous Service
Temperature, °C 105 150 121 204 175 204 204 316
Low Temperature (Tg), °C –50 –54 –25 to –30 –85 to –125 –65 –8 to –302 –11 –8
Tensile Strength, MPa 25 17 27 10 10 20 15 15
Hardness, Durometer, Shore A(D) 30–95 40–90 40–95 30–90 40–80 55–95 65–95 65–95

Data has been drawn from tests at DuPont Performance Elastomers facilities and industry sources. Data is presented for use only as a general guide and should not be the basis for design decisions.
1 Key: 1 = Excellent 2 = Good 3 = Fair 4 = Not Recommended
2 Rating is type dependant.

Next: Viton® Has Superior Thermal Stability

Viton® is a registered trademark of DuPont Performance Elastomers

Copyright 1997-2006, Problem Solving Products, Inc.
www.pspglobal.com
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #9 of 13 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 12:02 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Jerod, are you watching? Between the bike project, work, and taking care of young kids, I can barely remember my own name. I'll try to remember to do this. Thanks for the tip David.

Regards,
John

post #10 of 13 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 12:06 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe
Super information John!
BTW are you REBUILDING or REPLACING the slave? My local BMW mechanic said they VASTLY redesigned / reinforced the entire slave cylinder (mid 2005 on >)to prevent the cause of failure and he suggests replacing it. He also said he has not seen one failure from the new slave..but IMO not enough 'time tested'.
I'm going to order a new part. Hopefully, it'll hold up. If it doesn't, but the weep hole works, the job won't be nearly as bad.

Regards,
John

post #11 of 13 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 12:10 am Thread Starter

Brian, I'm going have my dealer install the seals in the transmission cover that's removed. Thanks for the additional tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blouw
Nice pix, John.
Be really careful when replacing gearbox seals. I got to do mine again because the first time I pushed the rear input shaft seal in too far -the one where the slave cylinder goes. Good test is to tilt the gearbox after new seals are installed - should not leak.
I eventually got my local dealer to seat that seal with their special drift.
The rear main engine seal is probably worth doing as well. I installed mine by putting it on the clutch housing and pressing it in by tightening the big center nut. It will not be quite flush, so I removed the housing, put the old seal on it, tightened the nut again and when the two met, gave it about 1 1/2 turns. Should then be flush with the housing.
Another tip. when re-assembling clutch, use the actuator rod to position the spring diaphragm.

Regards,
John

post #12 of 13 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 12:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe
Super information John!
It would be a bit of a task to re-build the cylinder, as the seal is not available as a seperate part from BMW. One may be able to second source it. However, the bearing in the end of the piston is likely another culprit in causing them to fail, as one of mine did fail because of the bearing seizing and causing the piston to spin in the cylinder. If I had a slave leaking I would not attempt a re-build even if the piston seal were available, as brake fluid getting into the bearing would probably wash out/dilute the grease in the bearing causing it to fail next.

The clutch master cylinder does have replacement parts available, but not the slave.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #13 of 13 Old Aug 20th, 2007, 11:20 am

03 k1200 lt clutch slippage

HI Guys,

Similar story here. I am no mechanic but the exact same clutch failure occurred to me at only 18001 miles. Also out of warranty. In the middle of 7000 mile 3week run I notice oil under the stand, I drive 180 miles out of my way to take it Ironhorse in Tuscon. The dealer charges 1780 smackaroos and notes that my problems were multifold. His narration included his observation of leaking seals etc and that my rear end was leaking also from improperly tightened plugs during my 12000 scheduled maintenence. Parts amount to 300 the rest labor. The service manager suggests calling bmwoa for some mercy because in his opinion this should n0t be happening at this low milage perhaps after 60k.

The district bmwoa gives no consideration other than I can get 500 off a new bike if purchased within 30 days.

The clutch is slipping again and now I am home in Florida.

Bmw will warranty the parts but... this blows. Dont think that I should have to eat the labor again for a problem that BMW knows should be a recall.This problem is mentioned frequently in this post does anyone have a suggestion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in