Tire Variations - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 4:03 pm Thread Starter

Tire Variations

All:

After considering my options, I am looking for Metzeler 880's for my recently acquired '00 LT. I have looked at the BMW fitment chart, which says my LT needs:

Front: 120/70B17TL 58V ME880F --BAR
Rear: 160/70B17M/C REINFTL 79 ME880 --BAR

I have read many of the threads here and elsewhere that caution use of the reinforced tired and not just any tire in this size. I've been through the FAQ here.

BUT . . . All I find on the tire sites mentioned around here (SW Moto, MC Superstore, DennisKirk etc.) are 120/70VB17 and 160/70VB17.

QUESTION: Are these "Metzeler ME 880 High Mileage Cruiser Touring [Front/Rear] Tire[s]" the correct version for the '00 LT? SWMoto has them priced at $238.90 for the pair, free shipping, no handling charge, which i the best total delivered price I found for these tires (thanks for the link, ElJeffe).

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 4:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
All:

After considering my options, I am looking for Metzeler 880's for my recently acquired '00 LT. I have looked at the BMW fitment chart, which says my LT needs:

Front: 120/70B17TL 58V ME880F --BAR
Rear: 160/70B17M/C REINFTL 79 ME880 --BAR

I have read many of the threads here and elsewhere that caution use of the reinforced tired and not just any tire in this size. I've been through the FAQ here.

BUT . . . All I find on the tire sites mentioned around here (SW Moto, MC Superstore, DennisKirk etc.) are 120/70VB17 and 160/70VB17.

QUESTION: Are these "Metzeler ME 880 High Mileage Cruiser Touring [Front/Rear] Tire[s]" the correct version for the '00 LT? SWMoto has them priced at $238.90 for the pair, free shipping, no handling charge, which i the best total delivered price I found for these tires (thanks for the link, ElJeffe).

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Tony - my tire info for the LT is down at my storage unit, so I'm goin' from SW Moto's list here (dangerous ground!!). Best that someone else confirms these numbers.

SW Moto's tire codes for front and rear Metzelers for the LT:

front - Metzeler ME880 120/70VB-17 Front
Code: 11010447
Price: $106.95

rear - Metzeler ME880 160/70VB-17 Rear
Code: 11010448
Price: $131.95

These are Bias ply tires. The weight rating required for the LT is 58V front and 79V rear. They sell a ton of these tires around here and if you call 'em to place the order, they should know ed zachery which ones you need.

HTH.
post #3 of 6 Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 4:50 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, Dick. That is the same info I have, but I do appreciate you taking the time to help.

My line of questioning is more about all of the extra codes on the tire model as listed in the BMW specs. I am unsure if the SW Moto listings we found are the correct tires and weight rating.

SW Moto doesn't take phone calls, according to their web site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Tony - my tire info for the LT is down at my storage unit, so I'm goin' from SW Moto's list here (dangerous ground!!). Best that someone else confirms these numbers.

SW Moto's tire codes for front and rear Metzelers for the LT:

front - Metzeler ME880 120/70VB-17 Front
Code: 11010447
Price: $106.95

rear - Metzeler ME880 160/70VB-17 Rear
Code: 11010448
Price: $131.95

These are Bias ply tires. The weight rating required for the LT is 58V front and 79V rear. They sell a ton of these tires around here and if you call 'em to place the order, they should know ed zachery which ones you need.

HTH.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #4 of 6 Old Dec 4th, 2006, 6:33 am Thread Starter

I exchanged several emails with Blaine at SW Moto yesterday. He states that the ME880's they sell for the LT are the reinforced ones, even though their web does not state so. That's a start. Can anyone confirm this, please?

Thank you
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW Tire Specs 61203.pdf (88.6 KB, 57 views)

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #5 of 6 Old Dec 4th, 2006, 6:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
Thanks, Dick. That is the same info I have, but I do appreciate you taking the time to help.

My line of questioning is more about all of the extra codes on the tire model as listed in the BMW specs. I am unsure if the SW Moto listings we found are the correct tires and weight rating.

SW Moto doesn't take phone calls, according to their web site.
You have the correct tires. What Dick quoted is what will be written on the sidewall of the tire, minus the 58v/79v info, by Metzler. You won't find all the extra codes in the BMW specs. on any tire. Even if you go to Metzler's site & check their fitment charts there'll be a slight difference in codes from what SW Moto, or any of the other dealers, post on their web sites.

Jinks ('86fxrs, '07 FLTR)

Remember, "No good deed goes unpunished"
post #6 of 6 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 1:23 pm Thread Starter

My thanks to all, once again, for the assists.

I just ordered the tires and will have installed this weekend.

Tony

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in