Air Cowling Removal - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 3:58 pm Thread Starter

Air Cowling Removal

I am replacing the throttle cables on my LT and I am attempting to remove the air cowling to no avail. I have removed the two allen screws and the wiring at the bottom of the cowling is preventing the removal.

Has anyone experienced this? Do I need to unhook a connection? I have researched this site, my BMW manual and clymers and have not been able to figure out the resolution. I had removed the other side cowling to find a dropped screw and it was a snap to remove (remove the two screws and it slid off . . . no problem).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

James

James Hart
2002 LTE Titan Silver
1992 Yamaha Virago 750 (given to friend)
River Oaks, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 4:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer100
I am replacing the throttle cables on my LT and I am attempting to remove the air cowling to no avail.
I just did the cables on my '02 without removing the air box (because I couldn't see any way to do it either). Leave the box in place and press on. It's a bit tricky working the cables in and out of the retainer at the throttles. Some guys on this list have used curved surgical pliers to maneuver the cables, I used some curved needle-nose pliers. Really not too bad after the injector rail, the cruise-control cancel switch and the other sensor (?) above the rails are removed.
-Kent
post #3 of 14 Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 6:35 pm Thread Starter

Air Cowling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyOrBike
I just did the cables on my '02 without removing the air box (because I couldn't see any way to do it either). Leave the box in place and press on. It's a bit tricky working the cables in and out of the retainer at the throttles. Some guys on this list have used curved surgical pliers to maneuver the cables, I used some curved needle-nose pliers. Really not too bad after the injector rail, the cruise-control cancel switch and the other sensor (?) above the rails are removed.
-Kent
Thanks Kent. I wasn't sure that was the air box, or what it is called exactly. I guess I will need to move on without it being removed.

Regards,
James

James Hart
2002 LTE Titan Silver
River Oaks, TX

post #4 of 14 Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 8:53 pm

I've had that all apart.. it all twists and plugs in... just need to be careful, I have an '05 and it's been a while since I did an '02 but I don't recall them being that different.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old Dec 4th, 2006, 9:04 pm
kip

air cowling

not sure if u mean the actual air box or the air duct that has the fan in front of the radiator......the left air duct is a little tricky to get off just because its molded and has to slide out around the end of the fuel injector rail.....if you pull the radiator towards the front of the bike about a quarter to half and inch the air duct will pull out......once you get it out one time you can see how its shaped and then its easier to get it back on and off next time....

Kip
99 LT
97 Shadow 1100
Jefferson, Ga
post #6 of 14 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 12:13 am

Throttle Cables

Quote:
I am replacing the throttle cables on my LT and I am attempting to remove the air cowling to no avail. I have removed the two allen screws and the wiring at the bottom of the cowling is preventing the removal.

Has anyone experienced this? Do I need to unhook a connection? I have researched this site, my BMW manual and clymers and have not been able to figure out the resolution. I had removed the other side cowling to find a dropped screw and it was a snap to remove (remove the two screws and it slid off . . . no problem).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

James
James, I just completed throttle cable replacement on my 99. I removed the left fan cowling, which I did not have to move the radiator just removed the two screws and worked it out. Then I disconnected all the injectors wires and the cruse sensor wire and pulled it off the mount. removed the two fuel lines then the two bolts that hold the fuel rail. To get some more slack in the power cable I pulled on the cruse cable to rotate the throttle cam the cables connect into and with the aid of either curved needle nose pliers of curved hemostats removed the cable. The other cable comes off easy once you take out the screw that holds it against the mounting piece. I just followed the directions in the BMW manuel plus looked things over closely. Just took my time for remembering how to reinstall everything.

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
post #7 of 14 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 10:47 am Thread Starter

Air cowling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip
not sure if u mean the actual air box or the air duct that has the fan in front of the radiator......the left air duct is a little tricky to get off just because its molded and has to slide out around the end of the fuel injector rail.....if you pull the radiator towards the front of the bike about a quarter to half and inch the air duct will pull out......once you get it out one time you can see how its shaped and then its easier to get it back on and off next time....
Kip, it is the air duct that has the fan in front of the radiator. I am going to look at it further this evening and see about moving the radiator forward.
It just seemed to me that the wiring to the fan itself ran through a hole in the air duct which ultimately was preventing the removal.

I will need to examine it further and see.

Kip and Rob, I do appreciate the advice. I'm looking forward to the new cables and getting this bad boy back together. It's been too long since I have ridden.

James Hart
2002 LTE Titan Silver
River Oaks, TX
post #8 of 14 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 3:35 pm

Cool

There is a quick disconnect for each fan and the plugs will fit through the holes in the duct. You just need to find the plugs.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 14 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 3:53 pm Thread Starter

Air Cowling

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
There is a quick disconnect for each fan and the plugs will fit through the holes in the duct. You just need to find the plugs.

John

Thanks John. I will be on the lookout for that quick disconnect.

James

James Hart
2002 LTE Titan Silver
River Oaks, TX
post #10 of 14 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 7:45 pm Thread Starter

Talking Air Cowling removed

After locating the quick disconnect John, I was able to remove the cowling. I appreciate the advice.

Now the real fun begins. . . . . cable hookup

James Hart
2002 LTE Titan Silver
River Oaks, TX
post #11 of 14 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 10:31 pm

Talking

Quote:
After locating the quick disconnect John, I was able to remove the cowling. I appreciate the advice.

Now the real fun begins. . . . . cable hookup
You're quite welcome!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #12 of 14 Old Nov 4th, 2007, 11:41 am

Still can't figure it out - STUPID ME

Hi

I (too) am in the middle of process of changing new throttle cables but it seems impossible to get the left air duct off (behind the left radiator). There isn't that much space and I didn't find what might keep it stuck after those two small screws have been removed.

I have consulted both Clymer & BMW workshop manuals but just can't figure out what keeps the air duct stuck? STUPID ME! It moves and clearly isn't kept by any screws or bolts but "something".

Of course I seeked for help here and run against this thread, but even after reading your good comments can't locate the wires or disconnects keeping the air duct stuck. HELP THE STUPID FINN!

Born to be wild so why not

post #13 of 14 Old Nov 4th, 2007, 12:52 pm

Wink

Seppo, once you have removed the 2 screws, you need to pull the duct back to unclip it from the back of the radiator fairing. There is a section of the duct that is formed into a friction grip type of clip on the backside. Also, make sure that you have the throttle cables unclipped from the front outside of the duct. Finally, you should be able to either feel around behind & below the duct to locate the hole in the duct that the wires feed through. The quick disconnect plug will either be just outside or inside of that hole. Disconnect it by pressing on one side of the plug and pull the wiring through the hole and you should have a free duct!

HTH,

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-A-D
Hi

I (too) am in the middle of process of changing new throttle cables but it seems impossible to get the left air duct off (behind the left radiator). There isn't that much space and I didn't find what might keep it stuck after those two small screws have been removed.

I have consulted both Clymer & BMW workshop manuals but just can't figure out what keeps the air duct stuck? STUPID ME! It moves and clearly isn't kept by any screws or bolts but "something".

Of course I seeked for help here and run against this thread, but even after reading your good comments can't locate the wires or disconnects keeping the air duct stuck. HELP THE STUPID FINN!

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #14 of 14 Old Nov 4th, 2007, 1:17 pm

Thanks for quick reply. I will have another try with your advice in my mind. I know it can't be that complicated - and boy - does that make you feel stupid...

Born to be wild so why not

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in