K1200LT or K1200GT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Dec 1st, 2006, 7:28 pm Thread Starter

K1200LT or K1200GT?

That is the question.... At least for me anyway. For nearly 8 years I lived in NW Arkansas you know, home of the Pig Trail, Eureka Springs, and some wonderful Ozark Mountain riding. Back in April I left NWA for job in Dallas, TX and a couple of months later I sold my 2004 K1200 GT due to my in ability to really feel comfortable riding in and around the big city. Man I miss riding!

Well, as luck would have I may be going back to NWA and one of the first things I'm doing when I get there is buy another BMW motor cycle. From my research and personal review, the new K1200GT is vastly improved over the last model. All the things that I didn't like on my bike have been reworked in the new model. The question I have now is whether or not I want another GT or if I would find greater enjoyment out of an LT.

Have any of you owned both bikes? My riding will be commuting to and from work and of course the weekend getaways of 2 to 6 hours of riding. My big 2 concerns are weight and performance of the LT and comfort of the GT (i.e. wind buffeting and seating position). Thanks for your thoughts...

-- Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Dec 1st, 2006, 7:39 pm

Unhappy

Will you do a lot of riding 2-up?
We got on the GT in the showroom and Kathy's legs don't quite fit, and there is no way to lower the passenger foot pegs, at least not on the right side because of the exhaust. Too bad...! The GT looks reeeaaalllllyyy cool, but we are taking weekend trips and a vacation on the bike!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old Dec 1st, 2006, 7:44 pm

Several of us hardcore LT lovers are now riding the new GT. I put 45K on an LT, and thoroughly enjoyed every mile. But the sportbike lover in me just wanted something a little . . . um . . . sportier. But my bike also needs to be able to haul my sorry butt 800 miles down the road per day, or what's the use in having it? I had a Ninja that I dearly loved, but I felt so beat up from the wind after 800 miles, that I had to sell it. That's where the GT fits me perfectly. I can superslab with it all day...no problem. Around town...again, no problem. In the twisties and mountains, pure magic!

Coming off of an '04 GT, the LT will feel heavy and sluggish to you. Of course, you could always buy a used LT for $10K-ish and see if it's what you want. If not, sell and march over to the dealer and pick out that new GT. Just remember....Deep Blue Metallic is the fastest GT. In fact, I haven't seen any bike pass mine yet.

Best of luck...and welcome to the forum!

post #4 of 18 Old Dec 1st, 2006, 7:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
We got on the GT in the showroom and Kathy's legs don't quite fit, and there is no way to lower the passenger foot pegs, at least not on the right side because of the exhaust. Too bad...!
Not true. There's two kits available that lower the passenger pegs. IIRC, 40mm (and 60mm?) lowering kit by Wunderlich.
post #5 of 18 Old Dec 1st, 2006, 7:51 pm

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Not true. There's two kits available that lower the passenger pegs. IIRC, 40mm (and 60mm?) lowering kit by Wunderlich.
Now Joe... That is going to cost me a new bike!!!
I Better look up the Wunderlich kits...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 Old Dec 1st, 2006, 7:52 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Will you do a lot of riding 2-up?
We got on the GT in the showroom and Kathy's legs don't quite fit, and there is no way to lower the passenger foot pegs, at least not on the right side because of the exhaust. Too bad...! The GT looks reeeaaalllllyyy cool, but we are taking weekend trips and a vacation on the bike!
Most of my riding will be 1-up, however, my wife does like to go on a Sunday ride or weekend get-away from time to time. I really like the luxury of the LT and the sport of the GT...
post #7 of 18 Old Dec 1st, 2006, 7:55 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Several of us hardcore LT lovers are now riding the new GT. I put 45K on an LT, and thoroughly enjoyed every mile. But the sportbike lover in me just wanted something a little . . . um . . . sportier. But my bike also needs to be able to haul my sorry butt 800 miles down the road per day, or what's the use in having it? I had a Ninja that I dearly loved, but I felt so beat up from the wind after 800 miles, that I had to sell it. That's where the GT fits me perfectly. I can superslab with it all day...no problem. Around town...again, no problem. In the twisties and mountains, pure magic!

Coming off of an '04 GT, the LT will feel heavy and sluggish to you. Of course, you could always buy a used LT for $10K-ish and see if it's what you want. If not, sell and march over to the dealer and pick out that new GT. Just remember....Deep Blue Metallic is the fastest GT. In fact, I haven't seen any bike pass mine yet.

Best of luck...and welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the reply... So the comfort of the GT over the long haul must be greatly improved. How well does it protect you from the elements? Do those adjustable handlebars feel tight?
post #8 of 18 Old Dec 1st, 2006, 8:01 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlestina
Most of my riding will be 1-up, however, my wife does like to go on a Sunday ride or weekend get-away from time to time. I really like the luxury of the LT and the sport of the GT...
...then you're screwed! JK

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

Last edited by zippy_gg; Dec 1st, 2006 at 8:02 pm. Reason: Fat finger syndrome!
post #9 of 18 Old Dec 1st, 2006, 8:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlestina
Thanks for the reply... So the comfort of the GT over the long haul must be greatly improved. How well does it protect you from the elements? Do those adjustable handlebars feel tight?
Comfort is relative and/or subjective. You'll need to sit on one to form your own opinion. Next April, I'm going on a 9K+ tour across the States on a GT. As for protection, very good. Not as good as the LT, but good gear takes care of that anyway.
post #10 of 18 Old Dec 1st, 2006, 8:51 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Comfort is relative and/or subjective. You'll need to sit on one to form your own opinion. Next April, I'm going on a 9K+ tour across the States on a GT. As for protection, very good. Not as good as the LT, but good gear takes care of that anyway.
When I get back to NWA I'll have test drive them both... Knowing my propensity for the thrill of haulin' tail and layin' it down through the twisty turnies , I suspect I'll own my 2nd GT in near future.

Thank you all for your thoughts... It sounds like I have some test driving to do. Think they'll lone me the bikes for a weekend???
post #11 of 18 Old Dec 1st, 2006, 9:12 pm

You know, I don't understand why audio isn't at least an option for long-distance sport touring bikes (READ: GT)
post #12 of 18 Old Dec 1st, 2006, 10:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPF0
You know, I don't understand why audio isn't at least an option for long-distance sport touring bikes (READ: GT)
Um...can you say "iPod"? I thought you could. Even the last two years I owned my LT, I only listened to my iPod through my intercom. BMW SUCKS at OEM audio anyway.
post #13 of 18 Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 7:31 am

Quote:
I'm using the Garmin 2730, has an MP3 and XM. I love the weather and traffic option. Pushed thru the Autocom Super Pro it rocks!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #14 of 18 Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 8:30 am

Quote:
Um...can you say "iPod"? I thought you could. Even the last two years I owned my LT, I only listened to my iPod through my intercom. BMW SUCKS at OEM audio anyway.
I can say "iPod", but I have never had the slightest incentive to have one. If one does not have a lot of CD's around, it is ridiculiously expensive to LEGALLY download songs. I also cannot imagine myself sitting in front of my computer laboriously composing a play list to download to it. Just seems like WAY too much work to me.

I was fairly happy with the radio and CD player, but adding XM was the real frosting on the cake to me. XM made LD riding far better, and I found myself using it the great majority of the time, switching to radio stations near cities more to get traffic reports than anything else, then back to XM when the road opened up. I also found that if I was getting tired, the comedy channels helped, as you tend to really listen to comedy, where music just fades into the background and can make me sleepier.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #15 of 18 Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 10:32 pm

Quote:
Um...can you say "iPod"?
I can say iPod (in several languages, no less. Well, OK, it's the same word in all of them. . ) but I'd like to have the option to listen to music or NPR even if I'm not wearing a helmet.
post #16 of 18 Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 10:34 pm

Quote:
I can say iPod (in several languages, no less. Well, OK, it's the same word in all of them. . ) but I'd like to have the option to listen to music or NPR even if I'm not wearing a helmet.
Yep...that's what cages are for.
post #17 of 18 Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 10:36 pm

Quote:
Yep...that's what cages are for.
If they only didn't lean the wrong way in corners, I'd be all set.
post #18 of 18 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 12:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
I just sing to myself... La, la, la...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in