Wheel removal advice - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Nov 30th, 2006, 4:22 am Thread Starter

Wheel removal advice

This will be my first time removing my wheels to have tires changed. Any advice would be appreciated. Can I leave it on the center stand and use a floor jack to balance the bike ? 05 KLT

Thanks Rodger

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Ride Safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Nov 30th, 2006, 5:34 am

yes you can
post #3 of 11 Old Nov 30th, 2006, 7:30 am

Glad you asked!

First, get a BFH (basic five-pound hammer =). You will use this for striking the motorcycle (or vise) to relieve your frustrations.... oh, wait... sorry, I thought I was on the Harley board for a minute there...

Ignore that first comment..

I put my '05 on the HCS then put some weight in the topcase to help balance...

Next, put a 1x4 under the bike against underside of engine and gently jack until the REAR wheel touches the ground with enough pressure to "stablize" the bike.

Commence front wheel procedures.

Remove jack, 1x4 and weight you put in the topcase.

Commence rear wheel procedures.

After all is back together and properly secured, don't forget you MUST "scrub" your new tires in CAREFULLY.

good luck.... if all else fails, remember my first comment... =)

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old Nov 30th, 2006, 7:43 am

Pretty straight-forward...yes, use a small jack, or a block of wood, blah blah blah. One one word of real advise: remember to tape your wheels to prevent the calipers from scratching them. I use Gaff tape. Masking tape works too. Duct tape leaves behind the wonderful goo.

HTH
post #5 of 11 Old Nov 30th, 2006, 9:04 am

Smile Front Calipers

I found that if you take the brake pads out of the front calipers it makes the removal much easier. You remove two retaining clips, and the two pins and slide the pads right out.
post #6 of 11 Old Nov 30th, 2006, 10:09 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I use Gaff tape.
HTH
Where do you buy gaffer tape? I have looked at all the usual suspects and can find duct tape in every possible description and color, but no gaffer tape.

Motor On ,/'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 11 Old Nov 30th, 2006, 5:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkersh1
Where do you buy gaffer tape? I have looked at all the usual suspects and can find duct tape in every possible description and color, but no gaffer tape.
I buy it on eBay. Three rolls at a time. It's not cheap. But I don't leave home without it.
post #8 of 11 Old Nov 30th, 2006, 8:00 pm

Gaff vs Duct tape???

Dude, grab some masking tape and tape a rag round the rim - done

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #9 of 11 Old Nov 30th, 2006, 8:37 pm Thread Starter

Thanks

Thanks for all the tips, expecting a foot of snow tomorrow so I am going to yank them off.

Rodger

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Ride Safe
post #10 of 11 Old Nov 30th, 2006, 9:53 pm

I just changed the tires on the 05'. I just put a floor jack under the center stand skid plate and raise it just enough to raise the front a few inches off the ground. The front calipers won't touch the rims if you rock them (after the bolts are out) to compress the pads. Just grab them with your hands and gently rotate them to the inside of the wheel then to the outside then they just slide off right past the rims with plenty of space. Put a rag on the brake handle to remind yourself or anybody else to keep from touching it or put a wedge in between the pads. Done this four times now and not one scratch on the rim.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #11 of 11 Old Nov 30th, 2006, 10:24 pm

One more tip, remove the rear first, then you can raise the front high enough to get the front tire out without removing the fender.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in