• 2 Post By Munmi
  • 1 Post By cws
  • 1 Post By saddleman
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By jzeiler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old Aug 1st, 2017, 10:02 am Thread Starter

Proper lift mounting procedure

Finally sprung for a 1,200 lb pneumatic lift with front and side extensions including two rear dropouts (one with rollers) and a scissor jack w/hooks that is all being delivered tomorrow. Looking forward to doing maintenance work more enjoyable.

Is there a proper way to mount the LT on the lift i.e. ride or roll the bike on far enough forward to deploy center stand and still have the front wheel in the chuck. The idea is to always strap the bike down at the front wheel before lifting takes place whether or not the center stand is deployed. If extensive work is required that entails having to remove the center stand, I can always use the jack for lifting/maintaining the rear of the bike.

Any work that should not be done while bike is on the lift?

I would imagine I can park the bike on the lift to maximize garage space or remove wheel chuck to enable the lift to be stored under my SUV when parked in the garage.

I have never used a lift before so I thought I would put this out there and appreciate all of the advise you may have in the essence of safety and security.

Best

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #47511
2015 F700GS - For my better half whenever I'm not using it!
2007 K1200LT - Nice now!
2003 R1150GS -Black Beauty (sold)
2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby (sold)
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird (sold)
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old Aug 1st, 2017, 11:00 am

Re: Proper lift mounting procedure

The lift I bought had a very poor front clamp with it so I mounted a good wheel chock on it. Because of this, I need to run the bike all the way into the chock so it holds the bike. Then I can place straps on the front cross member and secure it into the chock so it doesn't fall. After that, I can jack up the rear of the bike from under the skid plate and deploy the CS then lower it down and then strap the CS so it can't collapse back down until i have the rear supported and the CS is ready to be removed. Do not use the handle bars to strap down the bike. they are not strong enough and will bend. Also, remember that as you jack up the rear of the bike, the angle on the front straps changes so you will need to loosen and tighten them as it goes up and back down to maintain proper tightness. I found that the engine itself is a poor place to try and jack from to raise the rear as it is too far forward to lift the rear tire. Place a cross support as far back on the skid plate as you can and will still be able to deploy the CS.

If yours is a clamp from the sides, you will need to figure out if the CS can be deployed and still have the tire in proper clamping position, otherwise, you will need to clamp, strap and then jack up the rear to deploy. You will notice a board under my CS. That is because my chock raises the front wheel off the lift so I needed some compensation or the rear wheel would not be in the air under those circumstances.

Remember, it is an 833 LB beast and it will fall easily if not supported properly. Make sure it is centered. Be aware if you try and go too far forward on the lift, it may tilt forward depending on the lift. The center of gravity moves backward as you raise it so it is a balancing act while at its lowest point and if you move too far to the edge, it may be enough to go past the tipping point. It was on mine before I mounted the chock which prevents that.

This is just information from my experience and there is more than one way to skin this cat. Be careful is the most important thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001.JPG
Views:	627
Size:	522.4 KB
ID:	129514   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0010.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	530.2 KB
ID:	129522   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0015.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	519.0 KB
ID:	129530  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 Old Aug 1st, 2017, 1:38 pm Thread Starter

That is good to know Gordon. I do have a different wheel chuck on my lift with the available extension that may allow me to pull far enough forward to deploy the CS and still have the wheels positioned properly.

Do you walk your bike on the lift or ride it? Wonder too if you simply park the bike on the lift to maximize storage space.

(how do we post an image on this site anyway?)

Thanks

BMWMOA - #47511
2007 K1200LT - Nice now!
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone

Last edited by mr1150gs; Aug 1st, 2017 at 1:53 pm. Reason: content

post #4 of 31 Old Aug 1st, 2017, 2:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1150gs View Post
That is good to know Gordon. I do have a different wheel chuck on my lift with the available extension that may allow me to pull far enough forward to deploy the CS and still have the wheels positioned properly.

Do you walk your bike on the lift or ride it? Wonder too if you simply park the bike on the lift to maximize storage space.

(how do we post an image on this site anyway?)

Thanks
I do not have the side or front extensions so I walk it on hopefully with a friend on the other side. As the bike goes up, I have less side to side leverage should it want to take a nap. It also has further to fall so if it starts, just get out of the way and asses the damage later making sure you are not part of it.

Currently, my lift is taking up valuable floor space so it doubles as a shelf holding all things BMW that are not in use on a daily basis. I have 3 square of shingles and roofing materials i need to get rid of in order to move it over to the wall and make more floor space but for now, it is a shelf.

Posting pictures is as easy as dragging it to the DRAG AND DROP FILE UPLOAD space directly below the posting box I am typing in. They need to be smaller than 1500X1500 pixels before hand so I use MS paint to resize and save as a different name before dropping it or as the same name if the pic is just for the forum and I don't need it in a larger format anywhere. I right click the picture file and choose edit and paint comes up. Put 1500 in the horizontal and leave vertical alone as it will auto scale to keep the proper aspect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	no pics2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	129538  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 31 Old Aug 1st, 2017, 3:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Finally sprung for a 1,200 lb pneumatic lift with front and side extensions including two rear dropouts (one with rollers) and a scissor jack w/hooks that is all being delivered tomorrow. Looking forward to doing maintenance work more enjoyable.

Is there a proper way to mount the LT on the lift i.e. ride or roll the bike on far enough forward to deploy center stand and still have the front wheel in the chuck. The idea is to always strap the bike down at the front wheel before lifting takes place whether or not the center stand is deployed. If extensive work is required that entails having to remove the center stand, I can always use the jack for lifting/maintaining the rear of the bike.

Any work that should not be done while bike is on the lift?

I would imagine I can park the bike on the lift to maximize garage space or remove wheel chuck to enable the lift to be stored under my SUV when parked in the garage.

I have never used a lift before so I thought I would put this out there and appreciate all of the advise you may have in the essence of safety and security.

Best
I have a Handy lift with a good wheel vise, but no extensions. I would ride on if I had the side extensions. As is, I push the LT on with a running start and my wife spotting the right side. Works OK, but riding on would be less stressful.

I will either buy the extensions before my next major work or build wood boxes that match the lowered lift height with ramps a little shallower than the lift ramp and ride the LT on.

I can't think of any work that is easier off the lift than on. I did have to lower the lift to easily access the master cylinders for front control circuit and clutch flushes, but still nice to have on the lift. Just wipe up any fluid spills quickly with a wet rag if you value the paint on your lift.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #6 of 31 Old Aug 1st, 2017, 4:26 pm

One more thought after Voyagers post. I put a 1/2 or 5/8 inch flat piece of plywood board under the end of the ramp as my LT center drags the lift trying to get it on if I don't. Be aware of that for the first get on so you don't get hung up.
cws likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #7 of 31 Old Aug 1st, 2017, 6:37 pm

Garage

all I will say is be bloody careful, mine twisted in the wheel chock on lift as I got off, she went down before I could secure it, the chock assembly almost ripped out of the lift on the side with the tightening wheel. for me it is a 2 person job from then on. I now use a good G clamp on the chock to hold the two sides together onto the wheel.
Voyager likes this.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #8 of 31 Old Aug 1st, 2017, 6:53 pm Thread Starter

Thanks to all that replied with the great suggestions. I'm sure it will take a little getting used to and procedures differ depending on the options with the lift. Being careful is the overall rule that applies in all cases when handling the big girl.

BMWMOA - #47511
2007 K1200LT - Nice now!
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
post #9 of 31 Old Aug 1st, 2017, 7:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Gordon is that a Harbor Freight lift? And what kind of chock do you use. I have a harbor freight and put one of there stands on it holds the bike. It works very well but it is hard to get the bike back out. Jim
post #10 of 31 Old Aug 1st, 2017, 9:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
.....build wood boxes that match the lowered lift height with ramps a little shallower than the lift ramp and ride the LT on.
This is what I did. Made boxes 8ft long, 14inches wide and equal height to my HF lift. Allows me to ride on without assistance.
beech and CheezNbeer like this.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #11 of 31 Old Aug 1st, 2017, 10:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jriverside View Post
Gordon is that a Harbor Freight lift? And what kind of chock do you use. I have a harbor freight and put one of there stands on it holds the bike. It works very well but it is hard to get the bike back out. Jim
Yes, it is a HF lift and I laughed at the clamp that came with it. The chock I have came with the bike and has a Trackside label on it. I had to move the pivot bolt all the way to the front or the wheel would lock in and need a jack to lift the bike and get it out. With it on the front bolt hole, it is less secure but holds it well enough to get straps on it. To get it out, I have to use reverse and it backs right out of it. Might not be as much of an issue with a lighter bike.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #12 of 31 Old Aug 2nd, 2017, 12:02 am
cws

Garage

Rode mine up onto the lift last weekend so I can start some long-overdue service work.
It didn't come with side extensions, so I'd bought some folding aluminium ramps and put those at either side, propped up on timbers at the front edge to match the normal height of the lift. Works great.
The wheel chock on mine has an extension bar at the front that allows the wheel forward far enough that when I raise the bike on the the centre-stand and the bike rolls rearward, the chocks will grab the tyre neatly once its up.
As bmwcoolk1200 said, I also use a timber under the edge of the ramp, otherwise the stand hits on the way up.

Was scared shitless first time I tried it, but found that just lining it up squarely a couple of feet away, then riding up with confidence is the quickest and safest way to get the thing up there... just make sure you have good solid footing underneath either side.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #13 of 31 Old Aug 2nd, 2017, 4:06 am Thread Starter

One of the main issues with lifts, besides safety, is the amount of space they take up so ease of getting the bike on and off multiple times a week needs to be accommodated. With side extensions, that task should be made easier. Should get the lift today and be able to practice on it by the weekend.

If I do not report back on how it all went you will know something went wrong. Horribly wrong.

Thanks again for your replies.

BMWMOA - #47511
2007 K1200LT - Nice now!
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
post #14 of 31 Old Aug 2nd, 2017, 7:44 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munmi View Post
This is what I did. Made boxes 8ft long, 14inches wide and equal height to my HF lift. Allows me to ride on without assistance.
Do you have pictures? Did you use 1/2" plywood? If I go this route, I want them light enough to easily move out of the way, but obviously strong enough to push on when holding the beast upright? I may bite the bullet and get the handy extensions as I could then use the lift for my ATV and lawn tractor, but they are pricey and somewhat heavy to horse around.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #15 of 31 Old Aug 2nd, 2017, 7:49 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws View Post
Rode mine up onto the lift last weekend so I can start some long-overdue service work.
It didn't come with side extensions, so I'd bought some folding aluminium ramps and put those at either side, propped up on timbers at the front edge to match the normal height of the lift. Works great.
The wheel chock on mine has an extension bar at the front that allows the wheel forward far enough that when I raise the bike on the the centre-stand and the bike rolls rearward, the chocks will grab the tyre neatly once its up.
As bmwcoolk1200 said, I also use a timber under the edge of the ramp, otherwise the stand hits on the way up.

Was scared shitless first time I tried it, but found that just lining it up squarely a couple of feet away, then riding up with confidence is the quickest and safest way to get the thing up there... just make sure you have good solid footing underneath either side.
The Handy is nice in that its ramp is quite a bit longer than the Chinese lifts. My LT cleared even with the OEM shocks. It should have 2" of clearance with the Wilbers.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #16 of 31 Old Aug 2nd, 2017, 7:52 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
One of the main issues with lifts, besides safety, is the amount of space they take up so ease of getting the bike on and off multiple times a week needs to be accommodated. With side extensions, that task should be made easier. Should get the lift today and be able to practice on it by the weekend.

If I do not report back on how it all went you will know something went wrong. Horribly wrong.

Thanks again for your replies.
It would be prudent to have a spotter, even if only to make the 911 call.

If you got pinner under an LT it is unlikely you could free yourself unless you have the arms of an offensive lineman.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #17 of 31 Old Aug 2nd, 2017, 9:25 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I park my 05 LT on the old electric Handy lift all the time. I have the nose extension and the side extensions and have no trouble riding up and deploying the electric center stand. I don't have the stock Handy vise as it was lost by the previous owner (well I have half of it). When I have to remove the center stand I get my son to hold down the rear of the bike and I slide my Baxley Chock onto the front wheel. Then jack the back end up. I don't tie the bike down for most maintenance. Look here for for a sample of my Maintenance in post #21.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #18 of 31 Old Aug 2nd, 2017, 10:44 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
I park my 05 LT on the old electric Handy lift all the time. I have the nose extension and the side extensions and have no trouble riding up and deploying the electric center stand. I don't have the stock Handy vise as it was lost by the previous owner (well I have half of it). When I have to remove the center stand I get my son to hold down the rear of the bike and I slide my Baxley Chock onto the front wheel. Then jack the back end up. I don't tie the bike down for most maintenance. Look here for for a sample of my Maintenance in post #21.
Thanks John, I'm surprised you do not strap her down on the lift. Is that because electric provides a smoother up and down motion? If the front wheel chuck is not needed then I would assume I can park the SUV over the lift (would have to remove side extensions?) but riding the LT up should be easy.

BMWMOA - #47511
2007 K1200LT - Nice now!
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
post #19 of 31 Old Aug 2nd, 2017, 12:55 pm

My handy has the sides and I most of the time still walk it up. I have rode it up occasionally. I do with a sport bike almost always. I have a overhead crane over the top of my lift. I usually have it waiting for me. I slip the bar end straps over before I start up then just hook them.. It not falling.

I like the Handy because you can remove the ramp and leave the bike hanging over which aids rear wheel removal. When I ran 12 inch car tires when drag racing that was a God send.
post #20 of 31 Old Aug 2nd, 2017, 1:58 pm

For what it's worth, I park my bike on my Handy Lift all the time. I made 2 X 12 extensions for both sides as well as the ramp. The extensions are mounted with two pieces of galvanized pipe through the lift and held in place with pins through the extensions and a the pipe. I ride the RT on and utilize the center stand. Since I'm old and less flexible than I used to be the lift gets used frequently to check tire pressure and oil level as well as all other maintenance. I did the same when I had each of my two previous LT's. I've also had many Gold Wings on the lift and even a GW Trike as well as my K100 EML side hack. The sidecar rig was a little hairy since I had to keep the bike itself on the main lift and run one of the 2 X 12 extensions way out to the right to support the sidecar wheel. Keeping the whole thing balanced so it didn't tip over was a little tricky although I used it frequently and never had an issue.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #21 of 31 Old Aug 3rd, 2017, 6:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Do you have pictures? Did you use 1/2" plywood? If I go this route, I want them light enough to easily move out of the way, but obviously strong enough to push on when holding the beast upright? I may bite the bullet and get the handy extensions as I could then use the lift for my ATV and lawn tractor, but they are pricey and somewhat heavy to horse around.
Made them quite beefy to be very stable. A little on the heavy side, but I am quite ok with that. I purchased 5- 8ft. 2x8's then cut one of them into 11 inch pieces to serve as the bridging in the boxes. I then cut 5/8 OSB (because that's what I had on hand) to 8ft x 14 inches to serve as the decking. Placed the OSB rough side up to allow better traction.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #22 of 31 Old Aug 3rd, 2017, 1:07 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I have the side extensions & ride my LT up on the lift. I lower it on the side stand get off & raise the bike up & then hold it with my right hand while I lean over & tighten the clamp. I then always put the ratchet straps on the front. If I'm going to put it on the center stand I use my scissor jack.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #23 of 31 Old Aug 3rd, 2017, 3:22 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
I have the side extensions & ride my LT up on the lift. I lower it on the side stand get off & raise the bike up & then hold it with my right hand while I lean over & tighten the clamp. I then always put the ratchet straps on the front. If I'm going to put it on the center stand I use my scissor jack.
So you are on the bike when the lift is being raised? I imagine the center stand cannot be deployed after you place the bike forward enough to hug the front wheel as it will then sit back too far to use the chuck. Some have said they do not use the chuck at all preferring to place the bike on the center stand then strap it down, then lift.

BMWMOA - #47511
2007 K1200LT - Nice now!
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
post #24 of 31 Old Aug 3rd, 2017, 4:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
I also used my scissor jack to raise the bike for CS deployment. And my clamping technique differs a little. I get my wife to tighten the wheel vise.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #25 of 31 Old Aug 3rd, 2017, 6:04 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Thanks John, I'm surprised you do not strap her down on the lift. Is that because electric provides a smoother up and down motion? If the front wheel chuck is not needed then I would assume I can park the SUV over the lift (would have to remove side extensions?) but riding the LT up should be easy.
The electric is very smooth and has infinite stopping points (no safety bar) with the worm drive. I do tie her down if I am doing heavy torque work and when only the front wheel is in the chock and the frame is jacked up. I do hold the handle bar as the bike is rising just to get a feel for it.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #26 of 31 Old Aug 3rd, 2017, 9:14 pm Thread Starter

Well I'm not sure how you can mount the lift by walking the bike on as the angle of the ramp is to steep to overcome without engine power. I had to place extra 2x6 planks at the foot of the ramp so I could maintain my footing while riding her up. Not the easiest thing to get used to. Not sure I want to go through this amount of streets just to park the bike.

BMWMOA - #47511
2007 K1200LT - Nice now!
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
post #27 of 31 Old Aug 3rd, 2017, 9:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Well I'm not sure how you can mount the lift by walking the bike on as the angle of the ramp is to steep to overcome without engine power. I had to place extra 2x6 planks at the foot of the ramp so I could maintain my footing while riding her up. Not the easiest thing to get used to. Not sure I want to go through this amount of streets just to park the bike.
It was actually quite easy. We started about 6' behind the ramp. Couldn't do much more as my garage is only about 22' long inside and with the length of the lift, ramp and bike, not much room left. My wife and I both pushed and the bike went right up the ramp and I actually had to use the front brake to stop it.

My handy is only about 6" high and the ramp is much longer and shallower than the cheap Chinese lift ramps.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #28 of 31 Old Aug 3rd, 2017, 9:34 pm

Quote:
Yes, you run it up in first walking along side carefully and as stated, a spotter on the right side is smart and helpful. One of the few times you are going to feather slip the clutch the whole way.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #29 of 31 Old Aug 4th, 2017, 9:09 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Just a safety note: Before you lower the lift/bike check all around for objects left under the edge of the lift (like stools). One member here dropped his LT off the lift when it came down on a stool and it tilted over. (not me!).
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #30 of 31 Old Aug 4th, 2017, 9:56 pm

Another safety note: Have a fire extinguisher nearby. A leaking fuel hose caused a fire deep in the bowels of a bike I just raised on the lift. Fire below a plastic gas tank and no time to unstrap, lower and move it off the ramp and out of the shop almost cost me my shop. Had I not had a Halon extinguisher handy it would have.
post #31 of 31 Old Sep 14th, 2019, 10:23 am

Garage

Though these conversations took place a while ago I have to say as a recent member, I find them invaluable!
I do not even have a cheap Lift, although I do have a small "LiftMaster" which as it is just a beefy scissor-jack, it's more of a 'Lift minion'. But I was seeking the best forward supporting point once the center of the bike is lifted up via the stand. I see Kirk J (my motorcycle spirit guide) just put a single piston hydrolic under the front pan, and that just seems risky to the lower fins so I assume he has a flat board that I just can't see.

Putting my new Speiglers on this weekend so wish me luck.

And Thank You for all do/did for all of us 'newbies'.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in