Small Oil Leak - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Nov 29th, 2006, 12:45 pm Thread Starter

Small Oil Leak

Well, after 42,000 miles i've developed a very small oil leak that's dripping from near the oil drain plug, but may be originating elsewhere (centerstand parked). Have not had a chance to really check it out and likely won't until my next service in the spring. The leak started after an oil change and returning from a 2500 mile trip.

Oil's been changed regularly but last time added a bit more oil than I normally do. If I recall correctly it was 3.8 qts vs 3.2 qts that I normally add.

Have ridden the bike with the leak for more than 2 weeks and no noticeable decrease in oil level in the sight glass. And sometimes when I park the bike (centerstand) it doesn't leak at all.

Anyone had a similar experience and if so what was the problem or final result with the fix? I'm fairly certain it's not the drain plug as I do all my service to specs/torque. Anyone care to speculate? thanks.

BeemerRiderBob
Dallas/Ft. Worth

'82 R100 Sidecar
'91 R100 GS BumbleBee
'93 R100 GS/PD
'02 K1200 LTC- KIA 09/04/07
'03 KTM 450 Exc (living in Colorado)
'08 R1200 GS Adventure (Joy)

Only 41% of the World Left to Visit!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Nov 29th, 2006, 1:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerRiderBoB
Well, after 42,000 miles i've developed a very small oil leak that's dripping from near the oil drain plug, but may be originating elsewhere (centerstand parked). Have not had a chance to really check it out and likely won't until my next service in the spring. The leak started after an oil change and returning from a 2500 mile trip.

Oil's been changed regularly but last time added a bit more oil than I normally do. If I recall correctly it was 3.8 qts vs 3.2 qts that I normally add.

Have ridden the bike with the leak for more than 2 weeks and no noticeable decrease in oil level in the sight glass. And sometimes when I park the bike (centerstand) it doesn't leak at all.

Anyone had a similar experience and if so what was the problem or final result with the fix? I'm fairly certain it's not the drain plug as I do all my service to specs/torque. Anyone care to speculate? thanks.
Check your oil pan bolts. Vibration can loosen them. Also check the bolts holding the plate on the bottom that covers the oil filter. And you did snug the oil filter a little didn't you. But don't over tighten it!

Tom

2003 R1150RT, Black Beauty--this is one sexy bike!
1999 R1100GSA, Does everything well, what else can one say?
1992 K75SA, If this engine had been 4-valve instead of 2, it would be the smoothest BMW ever built!
1978 R100S, my first and favorite BMW.
1976 R75/6, A 30 year old gentlemen I still love to take out for a Sunday ride.
post #3 of 6 Old Nov 29th, 2006, 6:50 pm

Speculate! We can all do that. It seems a little early for the rear main seal to be leaking, but it could be possible. $1,600 for that replacement! Hopefully, it may just be the o-ring on the oil filter access housing since it started after your oil change. A lot less expensive than $1,600!! Good luck.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Nov 30th, 2006, 11:24 am

Thumbs up Simple things first!!!!!!!!!!!

quote from your post.....

I'm fairly certain it's not the drain plug as I do all my service to specs/torque. Anyone care to speculate?

Bob,
I sometimes put the drain plug in finger tight and then forget to tighten it. So maybe you didn't get it torqued right. It's an easy check and then you're sure.

Also, maybe the oil you saw was left overs from the oil change. I usually try to use a rag to clean all the spills on the bottom of the engine when I'm done.

Then I start her up and let it run for 5 minutes, shut it off and then put a piece of clean cardboard under it to see if there is a drip on it the next morning. No drips and it's good to go.

As I get older, the more double checks I can do helps me sleep better. LOL

Hope your fix is easy.

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #5 of 6 Old Nov 30th, 2006, 11:40 am

I had a small oil leak also, after ruling out the oil filter and plug, trailered it to the dealer.....rear main seal bad, also replaced clutch plate (oil on it) 7-9 hrs to do job. Mine is a 02 with 75000 on her...Good luck.
post #6 of 6 Old Nov 30th, 2006, 6:29 pm

oil leak

I had an oil leak and it appeared to be coming from the cover bolts. It was close to time to change the oil so I went ahead and changed it, and the leak went away. I figure since it had been a good bit of time/miles since I changed the oil, possibly the o-ring under the cover had become brittle. In your case maybe you have some foreign material between the o-ring and the cover groove.

Joe and Robin
2001 K1200LTC 60K miles
space coast of Florida

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in