Radio/CD Player Stopped working - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Nov 29th, 2006, 9:44 am Thread Starter

Question Radio/CD Player Stopped working

This morning I turned on the CD Player (single head unit), inserted my favorite CD. Then, started the engine. After starting the engine, the radio/CD player never came back. I pushed the turn on/off switch. Still there was no power. Possibly a fuse gone bad??? Does anybody have a similar experience? Which fuse should I check? or do I need to replace the Radio/CD Player?

Thanks in advance,

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Nov 29th, 2006, 10:15 am

First thing I would try is disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes to an hour. My radio is doing this about once a week now (the battery is 3 years old) and this always fixes mine.

When you reconnect the battery you need to set the throttle position sensors (full open and fully closed), Turn on the key but do not start the engine. Open the throttle slow to the full open position twice. Turn off the key. Restart as normal. You will need to ride for a few miles to get the Motronic fully reset.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Nov 29th, 2006, 12:14 pm

There was a thread about this a couple of days ago (and I'm too lazy to look for it). What was determined was, that it's not a good thing to start the radio, etc. prior to starting the engine. The fix is as was suggested, disconnect the battery for about 30 minutes, reconnect and reset the throttle sensor.

I don't remember the details on it, but one member here even was told this by a tech...

HTH.

AJ
2013 K1600GTL (not yet named)

post #4 of 11 Old Nov 29th, 2006, 12:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_but_Happy
There was a thread about this a couple of days ago (and I'm too lazy to look for it). What was determined was, that it's not a good thing to start the radio, etc. prior to starting the engine. The fix is as was suggested, disconnect the battery for about 30 minutes, reconnect and reset the throttle sensor.

I don't remember the details on it, but one member here even was told this by a tech...

HTH.
Happy- That thread was me. My radio just up and quit. Turned out to be the fuse under the rear seat was blown. Why I don't know, but it's seems to be fine now. But, what's the deal with the throttle sensor? I didn't do this and the bike seems to run OK.
post #5 of 11 Old Nov 29th, 2006, 12:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_N
But, what's the deal with the throttle sensor? I didn't do this and the bike seems to run OK.
The throttle position sensor doesn't HAVE to be reset, but can help. When you disconned the battery, the Motronic loses it's memory for what the fuel settings should be. By resetting the sensor (turn key on - don't start, rotate throttle all on, all off and repeat, then turn key off) you give the motronic the two ends of the spectrum to work from. Not doing just means the motronic has to learn from scratch, which it will do in time.

AJ
2013 K1600GTL (not yet named)

post #6 of 11 Old Nov 29th, 2006, 12:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_but_Happy
The throttle position sensor doesn't HAVE to be reset, but can help. When you disconned the battery, the Motronic loses it's memory for what the fuel settings should be. By resetting the sensor (turn key on - don't start, rotate throttle all on, all off and repeat, then turn key off) you give the motronic the two ends of the spectrum to work from. Not doing just means the motronic has to learn from scratch, which it will do in time.
Interesting. I guess next time I unhook the battery I'll try that. But for now it seems to be OK. Thanks Happy.

Now back to the dude trying to fix his radio. Check the fuse under the seat, easy to get at.
post #7 of 11 Old Nov 29th, 2006, 12:46 pm

I have started turning my radio off before I start the engine. This has just started in the past month or so and I think my battery may be getting weak as it is 3 years old and has not been replaced.

My LT doesn't run very well for the first 5-10 miles if I don't do the throttle reset. It doesn't seem to want to idle if I don't keep the throttle open a little. YMMV

Alan Stuber
Austin, Texas

post #8 of 11 Old Nov 29th, 2006, 2:36 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, guys. As soon as I disconnected and connected the battery. the radio started working. I also did the throttle sensor thing to be on the safe side. :-)

Matt Kas

"Riding Year around"

post #9 of 11 Old Nov 29th, 2006, 3:22 pm

multi threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKas
Thanks, guys. As soon as I disconnected and connected the battery. the radio started working. I also did the throttle sensor thing to be on the safe side. :-)
I have a thread about radio quitting too. But I've tried all the suggested tricks and nothing has worked. I hardly ever turn my radio off but always turn the key to the 'lock' position. 30k with no problems until last week. And it ate a CD!

Did you leave the battery disconnected for a long time (30 min to 1 hr)? I just disconnected and reconnected mine. Maybe it needs to 'bleed off' some memory power?

Just old, clutchless and clueless
Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas
post #10 of 11 Old Nov 29th, 2006, 3:32 pm Thread Starter

Yes, I disconnected the battery little longer than 30 minutes.

Matt Kas

"Riding Year around"

post #11 of 11 Old Nov 29th, 2006, 3:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRuss
I have a thread about radio quitting too. But I've tried all the suggested tricks and nothing has worked. I hardly ever turn my radio off but always turn the key to the 'lock' position. 30k with no problems until last week. And it ate a CD!

Did you leave the battery disconnected for a long time (30 min to 1 hr)? I just disconnected and reconnected mine. Maybe it needs to 'bleed off' some memory power?
I have found that it takes at least 30 minutes to reset the radio. I can always tell that it has been enough time as the alarm will give 2 beeps as I am reconnecting the battery. Make sure that you have the alarm fob when you reconnect the battery. DAMHIK.
I have disconnected the battery several times and did not get the alarm beeps and the radio did not come back on.

Alan Stuber
Austin, Texas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in