Trickle charger - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Nov 28th, 2006, 7:26 pm Thread Starter

Trickle charger

Hello Gents, just want to know if it is ok to place a charger on the Batt with it still connected to the bike. Nothing more than 2 amps. I know the owners manual say's 'no', thanks for the input.

Jim

05' Ocean Blue
Albuquerque, NM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Nov 28th, 2006, 8:55 pm

Many of us use 'smart chargers' that auto-adjust charge voltage/current to maintain a battery. BMW even makes a trickle charger for their bikes.

Should be no prob - but if it's a dumb charger, watch it close. Even at 2amps you can cook 'er dry and ruin it in as short as tens of hours. DAMHIK.

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 Old Nov 28th, 2006, 9:19 pm

Trickle charger on a timer

If you want to connect a trickle charger and forget about it, plug it into one of those 24 hour timers which allow you to turn lights on/off a specific times.
I set the time to turn on the charger for just 10 or 15 minutes in a 24 hour period to serve as battery maintenance.

If you want to charge a battery that is in need of recharging, I'd set it to charge for 12 hours or so and then check the battery. I wouldn't leave it charging for 24 hours or more.

I have a 1 amp el cheapo trickle charger which works well this way. The charger does have interal regulation that limits amperage and voltage but it is not a "smart" charger like a Battery Tender that responds to the battery's condition. Never had a problem with it.

post #4 of 5 Old Nov 30th, 2006, 8:38 pm

I use a "Smart Charger" ($39 to $59), and leave it connected to one of the 12 plugs 24/7. Seems to work well.
post #5 of 5 Old Nov 30th, 2006, 9:42 pm

I use the "Battery Tender Plus" the one made for BMW, says right on the top of the charger (they make the offical BMW one).

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in