• 1 Post By guitarjim
  • 1 Post By beech
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By Gino
  • 1 Post By jzeiler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jul 15th, 2017, 4:10 pm Thread Starter

Newbie owner of a 99 K1200LT

Well thanks for the advice on things to look for from those on my earlier post. I bought the bike.
Anything any of you you want to comment on please do I welcome your input and advice. Great forum.

So what does it need:

Clutch and everything else that goes with that job. So I've been reading about some seals and o-rings. Drilling a weep hole, Rebuild slave. There appears to be a small weep of oil that can be seen from the front of the bell housing so I'm assuming it is contaminated.

Final drive. Feels like there might be a little bit of play there and the rear brake rotor is discolored and checked. I believe you guys have someone you send them to?

Brake lines. These appear to be original black rubber.

Rear brake for sure. Probably do both.

Front forks. The front shows signs of the fender making contact with the fairing. There is signs of weeping down the forks. I haven't done any research on this any advice would be great.

Tank fuel lines. Something that was mentioned to me.

Tires. Back is smooth front is marginal.

Of course it will get a full service oil, filters, coolant.

And we will see what we find as we take it apart.

Of course it needs some TLC. Washing, waxing, some buffing make her look like new.

Boy I see why you guys talk about dropping them. It's a little squirrely. Might be partially because of the forks too.
Everything seems to work and it came with a tow hitch bracket that is supposed to be for this bike (I'll have to figure out how to install it when I do the clutch). He also threw in 3 helmets.

As soon as I can do signature I'll get that done.

Thanks

Darrell
99 K120LT
99 F250 SD
08 Polaris X2
6" Proline Dredge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jul 15th, 2017, 4:38 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Re: Newbie owner of a 99 K1200LT

Welcome to the LT forum Darrell. Where are you located ?.
DarrellinCeres likes this.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Jul 15th, 2017, 7:21 pm Thread Starter

Ceres, CA. Just south of Modesto on 99

post #4 of 12 Old Jul 15th, 2017, 10:38 pm

Garage

Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

2000 R1100RT
post #5 of 12 Old Jul 15th, 2017, 11:20 pm

Welcome! If your bike is going down during a stop, get out of the way so you don't get crushed. Pick it up with your legs and not your back.

Current Ride: '02 LT - The Mistress
post #6 of 12 Old Jul 16th, 2017, 1:07 am

Well, welcome. You have your hands full with bring your great bike back to reasonable standards. Your list is good. I hope you are working on it yourself as at the shop it can get very expensive. A 20 year old bike needs some work to bring it back but the bones are solid. Do those items on your list and you have tens of thousands of miles of fun ahead and a great bike.
The most difficult is the seal Oring in the drive output of course.
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=38451
Things like brake lines, (and many other parts) can be found at Beemerboneyard or Euromotorelectric. No need to pay OEM prices. Don't forget to put a new set of ignition wires in with those brake lines. I'm politely trying to say you have a project on your hands. Pick it off piece by piece and have fun. All the help you need on how to do things is right here. Don't hesitate to ask for help.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #7 of 12 Old Jul 16th, 2017, 11:33 am Thread Starter

Thanks Beech,
Yes I'm going to do the work myself on most of it. I've owed and built a few bikes and many cars/trucks. I used to work on BMW cars for a living. I understand that the final drive is probably better sent out to someone who does them and I know that some fork jobs need to be done in a shop, but I haven't looked into that yet.

Ya I knew I was getting a project. My last project was a full restoration of a 1966 Thunderbird. At least this one is running.

Plugs, wires, and those kinds of things I was expecting since I really don't know much of the service record past 2009 which is the last service entry in the service booklet. The guy I bought it from is the 3rd owner and hadn't owned or rode it it very long. The bike is at 87K and the last entry is at 54K. So the only way to know and start the service clock is to do them.

I got the Clymers manual for it and yes this site and the people here are a great wealth of knowledge. That's why I'm here. Plus it's nice to be able to talk to others who appreciate fine machinery.

Thanks for the welcoming and the words of advice.

Darrell
post #8 of 12 Old Jul 16th, 2017, 4:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech View Post
Well, welcome. You have your hands full with bring your great bike back to reasonable standards. Your list is good. I hope you are working on it yourself as at the shop it can get very expensive. A 20 year old bike needs some work to bring it back but the bones are solid. Do those items on your list and you have tens of thousands of miles of fun ahead and a great bike.
The most difficult is the seal Oring in the drive output of course.
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=38451
Things like brake lines, (and many other parts) can be found at Beemerboneyard or Euromotorelectric. No need to pay OEM prices. Don't forget to put a new set of ignition wires in with those brake lines. I'm politely trying to say you have a project on your hands. Pick it off piece by piece and have fun. All the help you need on how to do things is right here. Don't hesitate to ask for help.
But don't buy OEM style brake lines. Get SS braided lines and live happily ever after.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #9 of 12 Old Jul 16th, 2017, 11:30 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrellinCeres View Post
Ceres, CA. Just south of Modesto on 99
Welcome!

I'm located just NORTH of you in Modesto...

Just finished up my clutch job and a bunch of other work on my '02 - just need to get the brakes in order once the budget fits.

Let me know if you want to borrow anything - I have a lot of the "specialty" items needed to get the clutch done, plus I have a lift and tire changing equipment you're welcome to use if you want...

Let me know...

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush
post #10 of 12 Old Jul 17th, 2017, 3:02 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Front forks are very easy as they are just sliders and not a functioning part of the suspension (no springs or damping function). A single shock does all the work. So you may be in for a new front shock.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #11 of 12 Old Jul 17th, 2017, 3:21 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
Welcome!

I'm located just NORTH of you in Modesto...

Just finished up my clutch job and a bunch of other work on my '02 - just need to get the brakes in order once the budget fits.

Let me know if you want to borrow anything - I have a lot of the "specialty" items needed to get the clutch done, plus I have a lift and tire changing equipment you're welcome to use if you want...

Let me know...
Thanks Gino I'll PM you and we can get together on this. I've read about making some of the specialty tools and will be good to have someone close who has done this
post #12 of 12 Old Jul 17th, 2017, 3:24 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Front forks are very easy as they are just sliders and not a functioning part of the suspension (no springs or damping function). A single shock does all the work. So you may be in for a new front shock.
Thanks JZ for the info. Is that single shock have a charge or adjustment to it? I'll take a closer look at it when I get home.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in