clutch repair recommendations - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By jzeiler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 14th, 2017, 4:29 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Unhappy clutch repair recommendations

Just finished a trip from Chicago area to the South Dakota Black Hills and back on my LT. All in all it was was a fun trip other than laying the bike down when turning around in a gravel parking lot and noticing some clutch slippage in 3rd and 4th gears during the return trip. Couldn't make it slip all the time but definitely saw it slip multiple times.

Any recommendations, other than a dealer, of a reputable repair shop in the Northern Chicago suburbs that does BMW repair? I'm afraid to see what a dealer charges to replace the clutch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 14th, 2017, 5:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: clutch repair recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1200LT_newbie View Post
Just finished a trip from Chicago area to the South Dakota Black Hills and back on my LT. All in all it was was a fun trip other than laying the bike down when turning around in a gravel parking lot and noticing some clutch slippage in 3rd and 4th gears during the return trip. Couldn't make it slip all the time but definitely saw it slip multiple times.

Any recommendations, other than a dealer, of a reputable repair shop in the Northern Chicago suburbs that does BMW repair? I'm afraid to see what a dealer charges to replace the clutch.
I recommend you do it yourself. Much cheaper and you learn a lot.
Patric likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Jul 14th, 2017, 9:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

If you don't have the clutch fully ingaged when to hit the gas it will slip. If it starts slipping that way, it will slip after the clutch is all in. Usually, when a clutch stars to go , it slips in 5th gear .

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 14th, 2017, 10:09 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Like Patric said. Test it proper. Get up to highway speed in 5th gear (4,000 RPM or so) then slam on the throttle. If it slips then you need to consider a fix. Slippage in the lower gears is usually a function of acceleration before the clutch is fully engaged. Never exceed 1500 RPM when launching from a dead stop in first until the clutch is fully engaged. Any higher RPM work on a feathered clutch will cause subsequent slippage in the next gear. Just the nature of a dry clutch. Oh about $2,500 and up at the dealer and about $600 in parts is you do it yourself and replace EVERYTHING.
Patric likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 7 Old Jul 15th, 2017, 7:14 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Like Patric said. Test it proper. Get up to highway speed in 5th gear (4,000 RPM or so) then slam on the throttle. If it slips then you need to consider a fix. Slippage in the lower gears is usually a function of acceleration before the clutch is fully engaged. Never exceed 1500 RPM when launching from a dead stop in first until the clutch is fully engaged. Any higher RPM work on a feathered clutch will cause subsequent slippage in the next gear. Just the nature of a dry clutch. Oh about $2,500 and up at the dealer and about $600 in parts is you do it yourself and replace EVERYTHING.
I would qualify that to be the nature of the LT clutch. I have driven standard shift vehicles with dry clutches for 40+ years. Everything from lawn tractors to OTR tractors. None have been as weak as the LT clutch. I think it is simply undersized for the torque it is required to transmit.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #6 of 7 Old Jul 15th, 2017, 8:20 am

I think the clutch on the LT would last at least 200k miles if it were not for the cheap ass o-rings BMW uses. If it was not for the rear main seal leaking, and the older style slave cylinder leaking, the clutch would last the life of the bike.
I am sure BMW addresses the clutches the same way they addressed the final drive failures, that it is just a small percentage of LT's.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #7 of 7 Old Jul 15th, 2017, 8:38 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
I think the clutch on the LT would last at least 200k miles if it were not for the cheap ass o-rings BMW uses. If it was not for the rear main seal leaking, and the older style slave cylinder leaking, the clutch would last the life of the bike.
I am sure BMW addresses the clutches the same way they addressed the final drive failures, that it is just a small percentage of LT's.
I don't doubt that. My clutch had little wear at 54,000 miles. Then again it was well lubed with gear oil. Yes, gear oil. My rear engine shaft seal was fine as was the o-ring. Still pliable. Mine was killed by leaking transmission seals. All three rotating shaft seals were leaking. So the clutch got a double dose from both front and rear input shaft seals as the rear seal oil traveled forward along the clutch pushrod. And the FD boot was dripping oil from the output shaft seal.

However, even when brand the LT clutch would slip if engaged under high rpm. My other vehicles will either spin the tires or stall the engine if the clutch us dumped at high rpm. The LT does neither. The clutch will just slip until the wheel speed matches the engine speed. That is my definition of a weak clutch. I don't think the clutch should be the weak link. The weak link should be tire traction or engine torque. You should be able to dump the clutch at 4,000 rpm and have it lock fully in a few milliseconds by either rapidly increasing wheel speed or rapidly decreasing engine speed. That is how every other dry clutch vehicle I have driven has operated.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in