• 1 Post By Tricky_dickey
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By Mike DK
  • 3 Post By saddleman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Jul 10th, 2017, 9:21 pm Thread Starter

high speed wobble

hi guys - was out riding my 06 LT today and has developed a high speed wobble at 80 mph + I installed a set of
avon Storms last year and felt the were the best choice - since installing haven't really been in a position to run her up until this weekend (it's my 2 up bike) - when I installed the tires I took off a set of Metzler's because of the whining and the lousy wet traction. i checked the front wheel bearing and replaced them as they had 40k (miles) on them. I am guessing that it might be the front stabilizer. As I rode the road last week on my other bike and it was fine. Anybody have this issue and what was the resolution:

thanks in advance

Just to clarify this is not a low speed wheel balance issue - the whole bike actually starts wobble side to side not a vibration in the bars - Though i was going to lose it - tried it around a long sweeper it was less wobble but enuff that i backed out of it - gave the front stabilizer a check and it's not wet like it was leaking but will strip it out and check for fluid - strip her down and change the fluid to a spec or heavier fluid viscosity -

Tricky

Last edited by Tricky_dickey; Jul 10th, 2017 at 10:08 pm. Reason: additional info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Jul 10th, 2017, 11:47 pm

Re: high speed wobble

I have never had a wobble like that but in addition to what you have planned, I would give a good look at the rear pivot bearings on the FD and swing arm, also the FD crown bearing shake to see if there is any play in the rear. Check the rear lug bolts and recheck the front end tightness and redo the procedure of torquing the bolt and then the pinch bolts to make sure that isn't lose in any way. If it isn't balance, then something has to be lose or worn out.
Tricky_dickey likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 Old Jul 11th, 2017, 5:36 am

Garage

separated tread

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

post #4 of 25 Old Jul 11th, 2017, 10:17 am Thread Starter

the tires are less that a ye old and it's not a up and down motion it side to side and goes away under 90mph starts at 80 mph and get worst as the speed increase -
separated carcass would be a violent shake from a low speed onward - running 42 front and 55 rear for pressures

thanks
post #5 of 25 Old Jul 11th, 2017, 6:31 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky_dickey View Post
hi guys - was out riding my 06 LT today and has developed a high speed wobble at 80 mph + I installed a set of
avon Storms last year and felt the were the best choice - since installing haven't really been in a position to run her up until this weekend (it's my 2 up bike) - when I installed the tires I took off a set of Metzler's because of the whining and the lousy wet traction. i checked the front wheel bearing and replaced them as they had 40k (miles) on them. I am guessing that it might be the front stabilizer. As I rode the road last week on my other bike and it was fine. Anybody have this issue and what was the resolution:

thanks in advance

Just to clarify this is not a low speed wheel balance issue - the whole bike actually starts wobble side to side not a vibration in the bars - Though i was going to lose it - tried it around a long sweeper it was less wobble but enuff that i backed out of it - gave the front stabilizer a check and it's not wet like it was leaking but will strip it out and check for fluid - strip her down and change the fluid to a spec or heavier fluid viscosity -

Tricky
Are the Avons bias ply tires? I thought only Metzeler and Bridgestone made tires suitable for the 05-09 bikes. If the Avons are radials, then my money is on that as your problem.

Got a few minutes so I checked the Avon web site. They list no fitment for late model LT's. You have fitted incorrect tires so it isn't too surprising you are seeing weird dynamics at high speed. I have long suspected that BMW found some issue with radials and the new suspension geometry and thus quit specifying them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	67
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	128809  
beech likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Voyager; Jul 11th, 2017 at 7:54 pm. Reason: Add image
post #6 of 25 Old Jul 12th, 2017, 4:20 am

Hi friend!!

I have THE SAME PROBLEM with the same avon tyre, only in my case is for rear avon tyre.

I feel a wobble since 120kmh...!! and i have to stop run over 140kmh.

My problem appears since I mounted the new avon rear tyre. I re-equilibrated the all wheels but the problem still persist
post #7 of 25 Old Jul 23rd, 2017, 8:14 pm Thread Starter

just to update all - i torn the stabilizer off and found no leaks - but being off i decide to experiment with the fluids - first thing there was a gap in the
hydraulic operation - i estimate 1/4 to 3/8 of a inch where there was no dampening - so i drain it out and try air tool oil (2w) and feels better and install on the bike and find it softer than before - so i drain it and try some 10 w30 and she so sfiff i can't move it on the bench - drain agian and revert to some power steering fluid and solid on the bench install and find with the leverage of the bars a little firmer - test ride and she good to 180 kmph- tey some figure 8's and the steering is fine and no issues with slow speed maneuvers - IMHO next time i pull it down i would go with 10-15 viscosity fluid - i did not take the rear tire off and install my spare Metz but i will test again when i have a long Copper free area and maybe max out the bike on my own - keep you all informed
post #8 of 25 Old Jul 24th, 2017, 2:35 am

Garage

all I can say is good luck trying to re invent the wheel it's your life, If it were me I would simply just buy a new one. I still don't believe that it is the cause of your wobble however, the steering damper is there to help stop a tank slapper and get back control of the bike's steering so to speak, it will not be the cause there is something else wrong.
Voyager and Tricky_dickey like this.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

Last edited by Axle; Jul 24th, 2017 at 2:45 am.
post #9 of 25 Old Jul 24th, 2017, 5:28 am

I think the standard refill weight is 5W or you could use 7.5W if you wanted a little stiffer damping but if you go too high, you may end up blowing the seals out. As stated, you probably haven't really fixed the issue, only put a band-aid on it. Good luck.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #10 of 25 Old Jul 24th, 2017, 4:52 pm

I also bought the HyperPro adjustable steering damper.
The problem does not go away. It's a design problem that manifest itself with worn tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
beech likes this.

----------------------------------------------------
BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW K1200R: "Drophammer" 2006
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000
Sachs MadAss FY125-20
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)

-----------------------------------------------------
post #11 of 25 Old Jul 24th, 2017, 10:26 pm Thread Starter

this is the Avon I put on
kbob12 likes this.
post #12 of 25 Old Jul 24th, 2017, 10:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky_dickey View Post
just to update all - i torn the stabilizer off and found no leaks - but being off i decide to experiment with the fluids - first thing there was a gap in the
hydraulic operation - i estimate 1/4 to 3/8 of a inch where there was no dampening - so i drain it out and try air tool oil (2w) and feels better and install on the bike and find it softer than before - so i drain it and try some 10 w30 and she so sfiff i can't move it on the bench - drain agian and revert to some power steering fluid and solid on the bench install and find with the leverage of the bars a little firmer - test ride and she good to 180 kmph- tey some figure 8's and the steering is fine and no issues with slow speed maneuvers - IMHO next time i pull it down i would go with 10-15 viscosity fluid - i did not take the rear tire off and install my spare Metz but i will test again when i have a long Copper free area and maybe max out the bike on my own - keep you all informed
The steering damper won't help that problem. It is for really high acceleration motion such as a tank slapper. Your problem is likely due to incorrect tire choice. Avon makes no tire suitable for an 05 or later LT. Check their web site.
beech likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #13 of 25 Old Jul 24th, 2017, 10:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondrage View Post
I also bought the HyperPro adjustable steering damper.
The problem does not go away. It's a design problem that manifest itself with worn tires.

My LT does not do this so it isn't a design problem. Installing tires not specified for the model is user error, not designer error.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #14 of 25 Old Jul 24th, 2017, 10:51 pm Thread Starter

i have like 3ooo kms on these tire installed last year - hate the metzlers in the damp bike nearly went over with amin throttle roll on hence the change - couldn;t find the bridgestones and wasn't too sure about the shinkos - a mate just installed the shinkos going to have to try it out and see what the handle like - might have to go that was - did the stabilizer and seems much better have yet to go for a long hard ride - but a quick test ride on the highway I was able to hit 110 mph and no notice of a shimmy wobble - maybe it's the radial tire that causes it -
post #15 of 25 Old Jul 26th, 2017, 8:28 pm

Hi Tricky_dickey

I tried the Avon, all within the specs for the LT, re-inf and load, and had the exact same problem. Wobbeling started at about 50 MPH and got worse at higher speeds. At about 70 MPH I didn't dare go faster.
Inc/decreasing tire pressure din't remove the wobble, but a new set of tires, Bridgestones, did. Rock steady on the Metzelers before the Avons, and rock steady on the Bridgesones after.
I never got at reply from Avon or their dealer in Denmark.

/Mike
beech likes this.
post #16 of 25 Old Nov 24th, 2017, 11:38 pm

I had the same issue with the AVON STORM 2 tires. No matter what pressure I ran... Even bought a Hyperpro steering damper. Increasing the rear preload helped a little. Anything 80+ and I was hanging on for life. Problem 99% solved with new Dunlop Roadsmart III tires (and a back to stock shaped windscreen).
post #17 of 25 Old Nov 25th, 2017, 10:33 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcak12lt View Post
I had the same issue with the AVON STORM 2 tires. No matter what pressure I ran... Even bought a Hyperpro steering damper. Increasing the rear preload helped a little. Anything 80+ and I was hanging on for life. Problem 99% solved with new Dunlop Roadsmart III tires (and a back to stock shaped windscreen).
What year LT?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #18 of 25 Old Nov 25th, 2017, 11:16 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
What year LT?
He has a 2006 and of course BMW does not recommend radials for the 05 & up. Could be why.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #19 of 25 Old Nov 25th, 2017, 1:42 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I doubt it has anything to do with the year LT. It did the same on my 2000 LT with Avon radial tires.
gunny, jzeiler and beech like this.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #20 of 25 Old Nov 25th, 2017, 4:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post

What year LT?
post #21 of 25 Old Nov 27th, 2017, 4:48 pm

Does the Storm have the properly-reinforced rear sidewall? When I bought my first LT it had an unreinforced Metzler 880 on the rear and I thought the frame had a ball joint in the middle of it.

Otherwise: Cannot recommend a Wilburs custom-built front shock for the LT too highly. Dramatic improvement over stock and significantly better that the Olins for that bike -- and adjustable.

UH
post #22 of 25 Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 1:04 am

This subject has always been one of opinions. My current rear tire on my 2000 is the Avon Storm 3D. I belong to the IBA and have about 4000 miles on the rear tire and love it. The Metzler scared me.

Still rolling in Southern Oregon
post #23 of 25 Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 2:24 pm

Garage

My new set of Avon Storm 3D's did get better over time.
Still don't have that warm & fuzzy at high speed though.

Started this thread back when I installed a new set. Mix avon storm 3d xm front me888 rear?

Ken

Enjoy the journey!

2003 K1200LT
2005 Yamaha R1
1975 CR125 Elsinore
1974 Honda CB750K4
1974 H2 750 Kaw
1970 Triumph 650
1961 Pan/Shovel
Couple Mini Trail's QA' & CT's
post #24 of 25 Old Mar 30th, 2019, 6:33 am

I know I'm late, but wondering if there's been any resolution. I have an '02 that had ME 888s that I replaced with Avon 3ds. Rode from Philly to Baltimore on the new tires and kept feeling the wobble like I was in a wind storm once I hit into the 70 plus mph range. Just glad to know that I'm not crazy after reading this post. I rode the bike from Minnesota last year when I bought it on some worn out ME880s for the first couple of hundred miles until I could get to first dealer with a set that fit and it was no where as bad as what I felt yesterday on the NEW Avons. Definitely like the improvement on the curves, but don't think I can deal with the wobble. Any new advice out there other than change to Bridgestone?
post #25 of 25 Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 12:08 pm

The wobble, from my research at the time its always present in all motorcycles.
However, when conditions arise that amplify the wobble frequency, you get a full-on tank slapper.

When new, the Metzelers are just fine.
When the tire pressures are off, or when the front tire starts to be clearly worn unevenly from the road camber, then the tire stars to oscillate from side to side.
That makes the rest of the bike move in the opposite direction, the gyroscopic effect straightens the wheel, the wear moves it, and the cycle repeats.
When worn, and the front tire is worn, the wobble happens when decelerating, at about 80kph.
However at that point I can make it happen at any time by just jerking the handlebars.
I have a hyperpro damper, so no violent tank slapper but the wobble is big and present.

To make a long story short.
Check your tire pressure. 36/42psi.
Replace the front tire when unevenly worn or the wobble starts.

And Id also do your stanchions. Im venturing to assume that if uneven they might introduce a side to side motion.

My 2 pence.

----------------------------------------------------
BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW K1200R: "Drophammer" 2006
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000
Sachs MadAss FY125-20
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)

-----------------------------------------------------

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in