Cassette removal & usable space? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 9:16 pm Thread Starter

Cassette removal & usable space?

I have no use for the cassette tape player
Anyone have info on useable space gained from removal of cassette player on 2000LT and/or photos.
I'm happy with space gained by removing CD player from right box and would like to do same to casstte player if space is useable.
Search found lots of radio removal instructions but I couldn't find casstte space info and I seem to remember someone writing about it.
Thanks
Mick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 9:41 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Mick,

The cassette unit in the oddiments box is also the radio. So unless you want to do away with audio completely there is nothing to be gained. By all means get rid of the CD changer in the side case. It just takes up too much valuable space.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 10:41 pm

Can't see a big advantage here. It's not that much space under the stingray to use for something else and do you really want to hassle trying to work around the other functions the radio/cassette player are performing? Depending on what year bike you have you might consider swapping for a radio/single CD player or CB unit. I never use cassettes either but a cassette/audio input adaptor is handy, especially if you don't have a comm system with extra inputs for your IPOD, GPS voice, etc.

post #4 of 23 Old Nov 28th, 2006, 12:21 am Thread Starter

I should have mentioned that I never use the built-in radios,CB,tape player,CD or speakers on any motorcycles I've own.

I always like Ipod around my neck or in a pocket and Sony earbuds for music and as earplugs. I just like the sound better that way and have found the sony ex71 earbuds make great earplugs when not listening to music selections.

I never ride two up and no comm system wanted. Paper map lover, no GPS audio needed. Die hard chatterfree rider.

So I guess I don't care if radio is gone along with cassette.... just wondering what the hole left behind is like and how useful I can make the space.

Any other weirdos like me out there done this.

Last edited by MickS; Nov 28th, 2006 at 12:34 am.
post #5 of 23 Old Nov 28th, 2006, 12:45 am

Garage
The thing is a "standard sized" car radio - so think of how big that is and that's how much space is there - +/- some extra due to the rear connectors.

You'll also gain whatever "height" is added due to the "filler" plate right above the stereo. If you look under the front of the sting ray right behind the key, you'll get an idea of how deep the unit is.

And yes - I had mine out for a short time as well - not by choice by due to a warranty repair of the main unit. There was certainly enough room to store an MP3 player, cell phone, wallet, garage door opener, and some paperwork.

Good luck!

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush
post #6 of 23 Old Nov 28th, 2006, 12:58 am Thread Starter

Gino
Thanks for info. I went and checked depth. Looks promising to me.
Do/can control buttons stay in place so it has stock look.
Also is space contained or would I have to make box to keep items from falling out front of sting ray.
Thanks again
Mick
post #7 of 23 Old Nov 28th, 2006, 2:25 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Yes, the space is contained and is in fact waterproof. And the buttons can stay in place. Removing them wouldn't buy you any more space as they're outside the radio housing, but would open up an unsightly hole in that area. If you don't care about the radio functions at all, then go ahead and pull it. It would easily fit some spare gloves and several other items as well.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 23 Old Nov 28th, 2006, 3:18 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Yes, the space is contained and is in fact waterproof. And the buttons can stay in place. Removing them wouldn't buy you any more space as they're outside the radio housing, but would open up an unsightly hole in that area. If you don't care about the radio functions at all, then go ahead and pull it. It would easily fit some spare gloves and several other items as well.
This is even better than expected. Sounds perfect for what I have in mind.
And locks
Thanks Ken and others.
Mick

Mick
'00LT Canyon red "Miss Ruby"
'99 LT Basalt grey "Coyote"
post #9 of 23 Old Nov 29th, 2006, 9:59 pm

[QUOTE=MickS]I have no use for the cassette tape player
Anyone have info on useable space gained from removal of cassette player on 2000LT and/or photos.

I just installed a Garmin 2730 GPS. The one with Satellite Radio. I was using the Aux input for audio from the GPS unit. I also had to install a ground loop insulator. What is this leading to ...well I decided to use a cassette adapter instead of the Aux input. Better sound and control through the radio, than the Aux input. I suggest that you leave the cassette in the radio and use it for Satellite Radio. I'm glad I didn't have a later model that had the disk player.

'Big B"
BMWMOA #127497
1999 K1200LTI "Canyon Red"

post #10 of 23 Old Nov 30th, 2006, 7:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickS
I should have mentioned that I never use the built-in radios,CB,tape player,CD or speakers on any motorcycles I've own.

I always like Ipod around my neck or in a pocket and Sony earbuds for music and as earplugs. I just like the sound better that way and have found the sony ex71 earbuds make great earplugs when not listening to music selections.
In my state, riding with earbuds for music is illegal, so the speakers are necessary. My '02 also has the cassette option, so I bought an inexpensive cassette adapter that plugs into my Zune earphone jack and goes into the cassette slot. I just tune the system to cassette and enjoy the tunes.

Besides, people at lights really enjoy listening to Type O Negative at volume on the bike..... :-)

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #11 of 23 Old Mar 10th, 2007, 7:39 am

I've been thinking about doing this myself since I only use iPod or XM with etymotic ER-6's. I sometimes use an Autocomm (when SWMBO goes along) so I thought the space would be an excellent place to mount the autocomm, since I like to be able to adjust the vox and volume on the fly.

Anyway, did you do it? And did you take any pics?
post #12 of 23 Old Mar 10th, 2007, 10:20 am

Cool

For any folks out there thinking about gaining space by removing the cassette deck, if you love your Ipod, or any MP-3 player, the simple cassette adapter works great for bringing those tunes into the stereo system via the "CC" option on your handlebar controls! You won't have all functions, but you can control the volume from the handlebar switch. And there are no wiring changes that need to be made unless you decide to plug into Bike's power.

FYI,

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #13 of 23 Old Mar 11th, 2007, 7:12 am

Quote:

I never ride two up and no comm system wanted. Paper map lover, no GPS audio needed. Die hard chatterfree rider.

So I guess I don't care if radio is gone along with cassette.... just wondering what the hole left behind is like and how useful I can make the space.

Any other weirdos like me out there done this.
How do the sony earbuds fit you with a closed faced relatively snug helmet? I Have been looking for a set that give good sound, do a good job as noise plugs, and don't stick out of my ears, making them uncomfortable with tht helmet on.

Tom

2003 R1150RT, Black Beauty--this is one sexy bike!
1999 R1100GSA, Does everything well, what else can one say?
1992 K75SA, If this engine had been 4-valve instead of 2, it would be the smoothest BMW ever built!
1978 R100S, my first and favorite BMW.
1976 R75/6, A 30 year old gentlemen I still love to take out for a Sunday ride.
post #14 of 23 Old Mar 11th, 2007, 7:14 am

before putting my stingray back on I dismantled the radio.
It wont be waterproof if you strip the radio off - the leads from the radio go through a rubber grommit, so you would have to remove the gromit and then water would get in

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #15 of 23 Old Mar 11th, 2007, 8:56 am Thread Starter

This is what I did. I left wires in back of a false wall I made and tapped into wires to charge/power my phone and GPS.
I love being able to get all the items in photo in there plus small GPS (Garmin Nuvi) and phone.
I do not miss radio at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GloveboxA.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	10409  

Mick
post #16 of 23 Old Mar 11th, 2007, 4:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00k1e
before putting my stingray back on I dismantled the radio.
It wont be waterproof if you strip the radio off - the leads from the radio go through a rubber grommit, so you would have to remove the gromit and then water would get in
Or put in another grommet. I am in the process of doing it right now, I'll try to post some pics of the finished job. I have added a BMW accessory plug, a standard 12 volt plug for charging/powering iPod, XM radio, and my Autocomm unit. I used the loop side of 2 in wide velcro to "upholster the bottom of the tray. Hook side on anything I want to stay in place and I should be good to go.
post #17 of 23 Old Mar 11th, 2007, 10:51 pm

I love that new "Garmin 9" with the pistol grip!! Have to trade my 2610 in for one, how many rounds, I mean maps does it hold!!!

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #18 of 23 Old Mar 12th, 2007, 12:09 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatson
I love that new "Garmin 9" with the pistol grip!! Have to trade my 2610 in for one, how many rounds, I mean maps does it hold!!!
Thirteen 40 cal maps... covers most city streets

Mick
post #19 of 23 Old Mar 12th, 2007, 12:38 pm

As promised, here are some pics, kinda hard to see but you should be able to get the idea.

You can see the BMW socket, 12 volt socket and Autocomm. Tucked in the back is the cable for FRS, which I don't use. The cable for audio in to the autocomm is running out to the side.

Finish wiring everything up this morning and everything works. Still have to find a suitable location for the XM antenna. There is more space there than I would have thought.
post #20 of 23 Old Mar 12th, 2007, 1:06 pm Thread Starter

nice job....

Mick
post #21 of 23 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 11:34 am

Thanks MickS.

I think my next project will be a vest that heats and cools, has bluetooth intercom, cell phone, and music, with only one wire that plugs into the bike. Or maybe completely wireless powered by nanotechnology.

If anyone does this in the future, as I am sure they will, this dated message is proof that I thought of it first.
post #22 of 23 Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 4:36 pm

Hello Do you still have your casette player.
I buy it from you
post #23 of 23 Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 6:41 pm

Quote:
I have no use for the cassette tape player
I'm happy with space gained by removing CD player from right box and would like to do same to casstte player if space is useable.
Search found lots of radio removal instructions but I couldn't find casstte space info and I seem to remember someone writing about it.
Thanks
Mick
I removed all radio/cd player from my 2000 LT including the wire harness, plugged all the holes with JB weld, now have a lockable compartment that is quite large and so far water proof, would hold a six pack of canned beer if you was amind to. I carry bottles of water and other items I may need to get to while riding.
Sonny

Sonny

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in