fuel line question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 1:13 pm Thread Starter

fuel line question

Can someone tell me if they have an insulated cover over their fuel line disconnects like shown in the photo?

I have had 2 failures of quick disconnects (male fitting) in the last 16 months so I'm wondering if item 4 in the picture is to keep vibration down on the fittings.

I still have the OEM plastic qd's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel line.gif
Views:	174
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	8394  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Joe and Robin
2001 K1200LTC 60K miles
space coast of Florida
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 1:20 pm

02 Missing them

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavamanz
Can someone tell me if they have an insulated cover over their fuel line disconnects like shown in the photo?

I have had 2 failures of quick disconnects (male fitting) in the last 16 months so I'm wondering if item 4 in the picture is to keep vibration down on the fittings.

I still have the OEM plastic qd's.
My 02 is missing them(bought it used). No failures yet.
Now I am wondering if they should be there

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."
post #3 of 23 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 3:02 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I've never seen those covers on any of the LT's I've worked on over the years. I wonder if it's a new addition for more recent builds?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 23 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 3:05 pm
kip

not on my 99

definitely not on mine

Kip
99 LT
97 Shadow 1100
Jefferson, Ga
post #5 of 23 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 3:40 pm

Lightbulb

neither on my '99 nor on my '03...
You may want to replace the plastic QDs with ones made of brass that will last forever and bring you peace of mind.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #6 of 23 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 8:30 pm

[QUOTE=lavamanz]Can someone tell me if they have an insulated cover over their fuel line disconnects like shown in the photo?

They are not on my 2001 or my 2003.

Lewis

Lewis

Pasadena, TX

Naturlized Texan after 34 years 'In State'.
BMW 2003LTC
IBA 21743 & 23281
AMA 278337
BMWOA 26977
Corvette National Museum Life Member 941
ARRL Life Member
post #7 of 23 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 8:39 pm

I've never seen them either. The majority of the QD's seem to break when popping open or closed.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #8 of 23 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 9:22 pm

Go here and get rid of the plastic connectors. http://www.omega.com/pdf/tubing/coup...t-lcseries.asp

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34° 14’ 12.63 N
119° 01’ 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.
post #9 of 23 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 10:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomadman
Go here and get rid of the plastic connectors. http://www.omega.com/pdf/tubing/coup...t-lcseries.asp
Those will work but they do not have the check valve inside to stop the gas from flowing after disconnecting them.

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
post #10 of 23 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 11:33 pm

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by robasay
Those will work but they do not have the check valve inside to stop the gas from flowing after disconnecting them.
Are there brass ones that do have the check valves?

Denny
post #11 of 23 Old Nov 28th, 2006, 12:19 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by avonfloater
Are there brass ones that do have the check valves?
Yes. I've been using the brass QD fittings with the check valves in industrial applications for years. Unfortunately, ours have a different hose size and a 90 degree bend, or I'd have a great supply of them really cheap. But you can get them chromed.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #12 of 23 Old Nov 28th, 2006, 7:58 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by robasay

Look again there is a straight thru and check valve version listed. Get the check valve version listed on the right side.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #13 of 23 Old Nov 28th, 2006, 10:02 am

John,

Could you post which of those P/N's are needed for the LT's fuel lines? I want to replace mine (before failure) but have never had the tank off and seen them. Thanks,

Ken
post #14 of 23 Old Nov 28th, 2006, 10:32 am

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morley
John,

Could you post which of those P/N's are needed for the LT's fuel lines? I want to replace mine (before failure) but have never had the tank off and seen them. Thanks,

Ken
You do not need to remove the fuel tank for this, just have the right panel off to get to the QDs located at the bottom of the tank. You will need a tool to stop the flow of gasoline while you remove the QDs that do not have the valve, someone suggested visegrips with a penny on each side, and you will need to also replace the hose clamps (4). Then you will be ready to remove the tank without spilling gas...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #15 of 23 Old Nov 28th, 2006, 10:38 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morley
John,

Ken
I have not ordered these but I have a spare set of plastic ones I carry. You need the shut off, hose barb, 5/16 I.D.

So that looks like PN FT-LCD220-05 and FT-LCD170-05 to make one set and you need two sets.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #16 of 23 Old Nov 28th, 2006, 10:48 am

Thanks. I thought I read somewhere that they were 5/16 but couldn't find it again.
post #17 of 23 Old Nov 29th, 2006, 2:37 pm

I have the answer to your plastic fuel quick connect problems. We are a manufacturer of performance aluminum quick connect fluid fittings. Our company's name is Jiffy-tite Company, Inc. you can visit our web site www.jiffy-tite.com. Look under the motorsports section and this will show all the different size fittings we offer. We have a company in L.A. named Angle City Cycle who has been replacing the plastic style connectors with our and they have worked very well for them.

I must get 6-8 calls a week about this issue with the plastic connectors on these bikes leaking. We have the best alternative and are trying to get this issue taken care of. Feel free to contact me and I will be more then happy to help get you back on the road with out any more fuel leaks.

Duane alternative
post #18 of 23 Old Nov 29th, 2006, 8:57 pm

Exclamation

HINT: The connectors are put in line with a different orientation for each fuel hose. IOW, on the hoses from the tank, use a male fitting on one and a female fitting on the other. (And, of course, use the correct fitting on the mating hose.) This way, you cannot mix up which tank hose mates to what hose on the bike.

This is the way the QCs come from the factory. If you make them the same gender, you're SURE to mix them up and no good will come from that!

HTH! Don

Don Arthur
Northern Virginia

post #19 of 23 Old Nov 30th, 2006, 11:48 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by duaneL
I have the answer to your plastic fuel quick connect problems. We are a manufacturer of performance aluminum quick connect fluid fittings. Our company's name is Jiffy-tite Company, Inc. you can visit our web site www.jiffy-tite.com. Look under the motorsports section and this will show all the different size fittings we offer. We have a company in L.A. named Angle City Cycle who has been replacing the plastic style connectors with our and they have worked very well for them.

I must get 6-8 calls a week about this issue with the plastic connectors on these bikes leaking. We have the best alternative and are trying to get this issue taken care of. Feel free to contact me and I will be more then happy to help get you back on the road with out any more fuel leaks.

Duane alternative
OK, Duane. I'll bite.
What are the part #'s for the LT?

-Brian Louw
Arroyo Grande, CA.

2013 K1600GT - Light Grey Metallic
2016 R1200GSA
post #20 of 23 Old Nov 30th, 2006, 12:09 pm

They should be: 22505 for the plug side and 21505 for the socket side. That is going by their -AN size. 5/16" = -5 AN.
post #21 of 23 Old Dec 1st, 2006, 2:07 pm

Morley, you are 100% accurate with your part numbers. These will work on 5/16 hose.

Blouw, I am only offering help, we manufacture performance fittings. All I ask you to do is look at our web site. We have been being used for the past 6 months in this exact application.

Any questions feel free to contact us anytime and we will be more then happy to answer any questions.

Thanks again and good luck.

Duane
post #22 of 23 Old Dec 1st, 2006, 3:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaneL
Morley, you are 100% accurate with your part numbers. These will work on 5/16 hose.

Blouw, I am only offering help, we manufacture performance fittings. All I ask you to do is look at our web site. We have been being used for the past 6 months in this exact application.

Any questions feel free to contact us anytime and we will be more then happy to answer any questions.

Thanks again and good luck.

Duane
Duane

Based on this - I will need two of 22505 and two of 21505 to replace the factor QD's - correct? (plus hose clamps)

Since I live in Ontario, Canada, I see your distributor is Karbelt Speed and Custom in Ajax ON. Should I order through them (they will likely have to special order them?)of may be better to order direct from a US distributor who has them in stock? Would Angel City Cycle stock them?

Thanks
Jim

2015 K1600GTL
1970 Plymouth Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback 340-auto
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible, 6.1 L SRT8 Hemi transplant
post #23 of 23 Old Dec 4th, 2006, 12:35 pm

Jim, you could try Karbelt, ask for Steve and tell him what you are looking for. If he does not want to drop ship for you then yes call Angle City Cycles and JR will take care of you. I am not sure what you will need to order, for some reason JR orders 45° and 90° from us as well. He would be the one to ask.

Thanks and good luck.

Duane

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in