Front end wobble - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By beech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jul 7th, 2017, 9:48 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Front end wobble

Hello all. I have an 07 lt. Recently I felt a little vibration up and eased my grip on the grips and the front of the bike would wobble and shake. I did it at various speeds and it only happens at 40-45 mph. Thought maybe it was the tire. Had a new me888 put on left the shop tried again. Wobble still there. Any ideas ? This isn't my first lt I've also had an 2000 and 2002 and never noticed it on those. Sold both with over a 110000mi on them. The 07 has 36000mi. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jul 8th, 2017, 7:13 am

Front end wobble

I had the same problem.
Checked the stanchions, brakes, etc.
in the end was the front tire. The camber of the road will wear the left side more and the bike will do that under 80 kph.
My research showed that BMW changed the angle is the steering (rake?) so that the bike is more responsive (2 degrees) but causes that problem on the LT update of '04.
You can induce the wobble even with new tires by hitting the handlebars a bit and the wobble starts.
There's nothing you can do to fix it. Just minimize it with new tires.
As BMW said in a service bulletin on the issue "keep both hands on the handlebars at all times and the problem will not occur".
The solution (in my opinion) is to replace the bracket where the shock pivot rests on the stanchions. That'll change the rake angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

----------------------------------------------------
BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW K1200R: "Drophammer" 2006
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)

-----------------------------------------------------
post #3 of 18 Old Jul 8th, 2017, 9:10 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Front end wobble

FWIW I have owned my 05 LT for 13 years and 103 K. The wobble always has been related to tire balance. It shows up part way through the tire wear cycle and will go away if you rebalance your tires. New tire is not the solution if it is not properly balanced. But then I have only gone through 9 fronts and 13 rears so what do I know?
Patric and bmwcoolk1200 like this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 Old Jul 8th, 2017, 7:10 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks for the info I guess I will keep my hands on the grips !
post #5 of 18 Old Jul 9th, 2017, 11:48 am

If people posted their location in personal info more help could be offered. I could re balance that front tire for you. Mount Vernon, WA.
Tricky_dickey likes this.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #6 of 18 Old Jul 9th, 2017, 2:53 pm

Without restarting the dyna bead debate, what would be interesting at this point would be to remove the old weights, stuff in some beads and see what happens. Results might be of some value
post #7 of 18 Old Jul 9th, 2017, 5:22 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt View Post
Without restarting the dyna bead debate,
Too late you've already started it

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #8 of 18 Old Jul 10th, 2017, 5:03 pm

My 05 has it when the tire wears a bit. But like mentioned keep your hands on the grips and it is a no issue. Drive safe!!

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #9 of 18 Old Jul 10th, 2017, 6:05 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
FWIW I have owned my 05 LT for 13 years and 103 K. The wobble always has been related to tire balance. It shows up part way through the tire wear cycle and will go away if you rebalance your tires. New tire is not the solution if it is not properly balanced. But then I have only gone through 9 fronts and 13 rears so what do I know?
Do you dynamically balance your wheels? I can see how a lateral/axial imbalance could cause front wheel wobble, but not radial imbalance which is the only kind a static balance can address.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #10 of 18 Old Jul 10th, 2017, 8:08 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Do you dynamically balance your wheels? I can see how a lateral/axial imbalance could cause front wheel wobble, but not radial imbalance which is the only kind a static balance can address.
No just static. The one time was half way through the tire and I removed it to install a smartire sensor and re mounted the used tire. The I static balanced it and was surprised that the wobble I had was now gone. It always goes away with new tires (static balance on those too).

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #11 of 18 Old Jul 11th, 2017, 10:04 pm

Hi all,

I have 92,000 on my '05 and the wobble has been there pretty much since new. It started with 35-40 mph, only while decelerating. Over the last few years it is typical at those slower speeds while steady or decelerating. Recently installed my first ME888 on the front and experienced typical ride but then blistering (delamination) at about 4,000 miles. Dealer replaced and the wobble is terrible, the most severe since owning the bike. This points to the only thing that changed, the tire. I will be taking it back to be re-balanced. Separate but related: Anyone else experience quality problems with the ME888's? I've been happy with Metzler for many years now, but...

Steve
post #12 of 18 Old Jul 11th, 2017, 10:40 pm

Not every tire works on every bike.

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #13 of 18 Old Jul 16th, 2017, 6:14 am

I have heard of this before. When slowing, in the speed range 40 to 35 mph there can be a front end wobble.
My local dealer borrowed my bike once because they had a customer with this problem and wanted to compare the bikes/swap wheels around and see if they could find the cause.

It turned out that my bike had the same problem - but I never knew it. Until I took both hands off the bars at about 40 and let the bike slow down.

From what I can find out, it seems that most K1200LT have this to some extent but it is simply "solved" by the weight of ones hands and arms on the bars and thus the owner never knows about until they take both hands off the bars at about 40 and slow down.

What makes it worse ( and thus noticeable when both hands are on the bars) I cannot begin to guess. It has defeated better minds than mine. But I think I had Metzler tyres on the at that time.
post #14 of 18 Old Aug 2nd, 2017, 12:18 pm

Garage

I have the same problem as mentioned on an 08 k1200lt I just bought.. I still have my 99 K1200lt though. Will the bracket you mentioned switch from my 99 to my 08? ...I will switch them if that's the case. If it's not too major surgery!
post #15 of 18 Old Aug 2nd, 2017, 12:20 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondrage View Post
I had the same problem.
in the end was the front tire. The camber of the road will wear the left side more and the bike will do that under 80 kph.
My research showed that BMW changed the angle is the steering (rake?) so that the bike is more responsive (2 degrees) but causes that problem on the LT update of '04.
You can induce the wobble even with new tires by hitting the handlebars a bit and the wobble starts.
As BMW said in a service bulletin on the issue "keep both hands on the handlebars at all times and the problem will not occur".
The solution (in my opinion) is to replace the bracket where the shock pivot rests on the stanchions. That'll change the rake angle.

I have the same problem as mentioned on an 08 k1200lt I just bought.. I still have my 99 K1200lt though. Will the bracket you mentioned switch from my 99 to my 08? ...I will switch them if that's the case. If it's not too major surgery!
post #16 of 18 Old Aug 2nd, 2017, 12:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmotors View Post

I looked into it. Seems that can be done. But the parts were too expensive on eBay at the time.
I don't think it's too hard, but requires removing the stanchions and the shock from the bridge.

----------------------------------------------------
BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW K1200R: "Drophammer" 2006
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)

-----------------------------------------------------
post #17 of 18 Old Aug 2nd, 2017, 12:31 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondrage View Post
I had the same problem.

Thank you!.. I will take a look when I get a chance and see what is involved.... Would be nice to solve the issue! Seems lots of people have it as I read the forums. I have not been on here in a few years as my 99 never hiccups...
post #18 of 18 Old Aug 2nd, 2017, 1:51 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmotors View Post
Thank you!.. I will take a look when I get a chance and see what is involved.... Would be nice to solve the issue! Seems lots of people have it as I read the forums. I have not been on here in a few years as my 99 never hiccups...
Why do you want to ride with both hands off the bars?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in