radio won't turn off - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 10:55 am Thread Starter

radio won't turn off

Any one else have a problem with their radio not turning off? Occasionally it will remain running after turning it off, no display, am, fm cd or tape doesn't matter, key on or off doesn't matter. eventually turns off after a minute or two. Would like to be armed with information before heading to the dealer.

Fred Jewell
No longer president, River City Beemers
2009 R1200RT - Silver

BMWMOA #123779
BMWRA #38714
IBA #24559

"Shadowboxing the apocalypse, wandering the land"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 11:58 am

gas pump ran over once and put a pint or so dose in and on the consol. i washed it off with water immediately. the radio switch malfunctioned for an hour or so. i haven't had the problem since. omurphy
post #3 of 15 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 12:11 pm

Unless the radio got totally soaked, my vote is that it is bad. You may also want to listen and see if you can hear the cd player cycling. It does not matter if any cd's are in it. This is a known issue on some of the earlier LT's (as well as bad radios).

You may try disconnecting the battery for a hour to see if that corrects the radio problem. Remember after reconnecting the battery, turn the key to the on position and twist the throttle fully open and close two times. This helps to reset the motronic (computer).

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 12:41 pm

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8fulfred
Any one else have a problem with their radio not turning off? Occasionally it will remain running after turning it off, no display, am, fm cd or tape doesn't matter, key on or off doesn't matter. eventually turns off after a minute or two. Would like to be armed with information before heading to the dealer.
Did you by any chance let the battery run very low? This happened on my 99 after it sat at the dealer (the infamous one in Hollywood that also sells Honda, but I won't name them! ). After they gave me back my ride with a very low battery I had that issue with the radio. Even after I fully charged the battery the radio would stay on even with the key removed and the bike locked. With a full battery I disconnected the negative terminal for a few minutes and reconnected. That did the trick.
As mtrevelino mentioned you would be well advised to reset the throttle sensor.
I hope this works for you!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 1:26 pm Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I'll try the battery disconnect idea first as the bike is a daily rider and the battery has never been run down.

Fred Jewell
2009 R1200RT - Silver

BMWMOA #123779
BMWRA #38714
IBA #24559

post #6 of 15 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 2:35 pm

Quote:
I can't speak for your 1999 LT, but my 2006 LT the radio stays on for about 10 minutes if I don't completely turn wheel to left and remove key while engaging the wheel lock. Radio then goes off immediately.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #7 of 15 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 4:06 pm

Quote:
Mine does it all the time. I use the old "hit the rondel trick" Works everytime. If you will give a firm heel of the hand to the little BMW emblem right above the radio display it should shut it off. Got that trick from some of the great mechanical minds on this site.

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)
post #8 of 15 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 5:00 pm

Mine also does it every now and then. I do exactly what Doc does. Good hit with the palm of my hand. Works every time.
post #9 of 15 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 5:24 pm

I had problems with the clutch-side handlebar controls twice, reached back and used the passenger-seat control (the problem included the volume ramping up to max volume and not coming down) after which I never had another issue with mine on the 2004...just a thought.

But I am ALWAYS in favor of smacking inanimate mechanical devices when they don't do what we want them to...doesn't always help functionally, but the stress relief saves a lot on therapy bills.

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #10 of 15 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 6:41 pm Thread Starter

Definitely going to try the smack on the roundel next time. Sounds like the best advice so far, and it allows some satisfying frustration relief. Thanks again everyone.

Fred Jewell
2009 R1200RT - Silver

BMWMOA #123779
BMWRA #38714
IBA #24559

post #11 of 15 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 8:23 pm
cws

Garage
Lightbulb

that now makes sense of why, after turning the radio off before walking the bike backwards into parking spots with a tank bag on which ALWAYS hits the volume control, I would suddenly get deafened by the volume through the Autocomm helmet speakers....!!!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #12 of 15 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 8:33 pm

Quote:
YES! i did, even if i pulled the fuse out it would not turn off, water gets between the buttons and shorts inside the control head, there is a fuse on the side of the control head but you have to pull the stingray to get to it,

I found this out at 80 mph when it came on full volume and about blew my ears out of my helmet! i ripped the headset wire off ! , we sat in a truck stop with it blasting till we got the connectors off the stingray.

it took a new control head to correct that problem actually they replaced everything in the stingray

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #13 of 15 Old Nov 28th, 2006, 12:05 pm

Radio won't turn on

Maybe we should swap radios........

Just old, clutchless and clueless
Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas
post #14 of 15 Old Nov 28th, 2006, 3:32 pm Thread Starter

Russ: Maybe if we got the two radios together they'll cure each other; either that or we end up with just one good radio between us.

Fred Jewell
2009 R1200RT - Silver

BMWMOA #123779
BMWRA #38714
IBA #24559

post #15 of 15 Old Nov 28th, 2006, 4:01 pm

Smacking the roundel

I'm gonna give mine a smack and see if it will turn on.......Then I'm gonna pull the fuse for a few minutes, and finally disconnect the batt term for a few minutes. All these things seem to be home remedies for 'won't turn on' and 'wont turn off.'

Just old, clutchless and clueless
Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in