Center stand purge - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By djmellor
  • 1 Post By jzeiler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jul 4th, 2017, 5:12 pm Thread Starter

Center stand purge

Am the recent new owner of a less than optimal EHCS for my 01 and paid way too much for what I got but I like a challenge so I didn't send it back like I should have.

The cradle was cracked at the skid plate hole on one side so I had to weld that. The idiot used vise grips on the shaft to remove the nut so the shaft had some deep grooves in it. I ground off the large burr and then did some draw filing to remove anything sticking up above the normal surface of the shaft checking with a new razor blade dragging it horizontally across the scrapes to see if anything would catch. Repeated until it was as smooth as I could get it. I was going to try brazing new material over the areas needing metal replaced but decided against it as I don't have a lathe and draw filing that much material off would be very time consuming trying to make it round again. I chose to do some body work with J&B weld as only a small portion of this damage would pass into the head of the actuator. After a thorough cleaning, I applied the epoxy with the razor blade like a body spatula applying bondo to a dent. After sufficient curing time, I polished it with 1000 grit paper and some jack oil. It feels pretty good to the hand even if it looks like crap as all those little dark spots are filled with epoxy. I don't suppose the actuator bottoms out but the black line in the last two pictures is where the shaft bottoms out being pushed all the way in to see how much impact these defects might have. It looks like I might get away with it but a test is in order but I want to flush it first.

After reading jzellers procedure, it looks pretty straight forward, all except for how much oil to put in. Total volume is 175ml but refill is 125-150ml. In flushing, and filling, how do I know how much fluid is in the unit after all that is done. AM I missing something as I haven't done this procedure yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cracked.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	128410   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0098.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	309.2 KB
ID:	128418   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0108.JPG
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	128426   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0101.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	128434   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0102.JPG
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	128442  

Name:	DSC_0106.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	128450   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0107.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	128458  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jul 4th, 2017, 8:06 pm

Re: Center stand purge

I know someone on the forums has sourced repair components. I have replaced all my seals, yet it still has a miniscule leak. I'm personally not inclined to take it back apart and replace all the seals until it absotively, posilutely has to be done. I may even go so far as to refill a few times before rebuilding again...then again, as small as the leak is, I may not even own the bike when rebuild is needed😉. Search the forums for "EHCS" and you'll find a plethora on these contraptions.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 12 Old Jul 4th, 2017, 9:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Handleson View Post
I know someone on the forums has sourced repair components. I have replaced all my seals, yet it still has a miniscule leak. I'm personally not inclined to take it back apart and replace all the seals until it absotively, posilutely has to be done. I may even go so far as to refill a few times before rebuilding again...then again, as small as the leak is, I may not even own the bike when rebuild is needed😉. Search the forums for "EHCS" and you'll find a plethora on these contraptions.

The person on the forum who sourced the repair components was John Zeller. I just got it and have no idea if it leaks or not. I guess I will find out, meanwhile, I am sourcing the o-rings and seals listed on jzellers rebuild/flush PDF so I can rebuild it if and when needed. I just don't understand how to not overfill it if I am forcing fluid into the fill hole while purging from the various ports mentioned in the file. Do I need to remove 25ml after the procedure?

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old Jul 4th, 2017, 10:35 pm

I never did. In fact, I filled every hole and ran until no bubbles came out. I don't remember the order of which one to do, but I just kept going and after I got solid liquid, kept pumping as I put the cap on. Once all three were full, I drained off just enough to see the bearing and called it good.

post #5 of 12 Old Jul 5th, 2017, 7:22 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If you take it all the way apart and clean it (I highly recommend it). A dry fill is 140 ml and all filling can be done through the one 19 mm spigot. Don't even touch those pesky, leaky 4 mm allens as suggested in the original documentation.

Do not take the pump apart just remove it by the two bolts (you will know which ones as you can see the heads of the other two). Then clean and wash the rest of the bits. You should be able to re-use all the seals/o-rings except the shaft seal and wiper. Just make sure everything is squeaky clean and oiled when you re-assemble. Wrap some Teflon tape over the threaded end of the shaft so as to not destroy the new shaft seal when you insert the shaft in the nose piece.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	all.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	128482   Click image for larger version

Name:	body1.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	128490   Click image for larger version

Name:	cap.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	128498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flow valve cover.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	128506   Click image for larger version

Name:	body2.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	128514  

Name:	spigot.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	128522   Click image for larger version

Name:	pump1.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	128530  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #6 of 12 Old Jul 5th, 2017, 8:22 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
If you take it all the way apart and clean it (I highly recommend it). A dry fill is 140 ml and all filling can be done through the one 19 mm spigot. Don't even touch those pesky, leaky 4 mm allens as suggested in the original documentation.

Do not take the pump apart just remove it by the two bolts (you will know which ones as you can see the heads of the other two). Then clean and wash the rest of the bits. You should be able to re-use all the seals/o-rings except the shaft seal and wiper. Just make sure everything is squeaky clean and oiled when you re-assemble. Wrap some Teflon tape over the threaded end of the shaft so as to not destroy the new shaft seal when you insert the shaft in the nose piece.

Thanks John. I am collecting as many of the o-rings and seals as I can prior to disassembly. Are all the sizes listed by ID and thickness? Want to make sure I don't need a 40mm OD O-ring and such.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #7 of 12 Old Jul 6th, 2017, 9:08 am

Garage

I rebuild these a lot and actually stock the seal kits and electric motor at my shop. But what I wanted to put my 2 cents in for is..... I have worked on many of these units that people have used vise grips to lock the end of the shaft to remove the end nut. Just a heads up. Remember that the entire shaft does not retract into the wiper seal. It actually stops about 1 1/2" before the nut. So as long as they did not use the vise grips on the center of the shaft it will not hamper seal repair. I noticed that in the picture its in the middle of the shaft but for anyone who sees this near the end its not the end of the world.

Ron

Last edited by Ron Williams; Jul 6th, 2017 at 7:21 pm. Reason: added content
post #8 of 12 Old Sep 17th, 2018, 12:33 pm

Garage
JZeller. Kudos to you for educating us on EHCS ! 👍🏻
I have mine on the table and after repairing a busted end cap i’ll Be ready to reassemble by tomorrow. Question: You said that all the filling can be done using the 9 mm port. Did I understand correctly and no purging is necessary? If we are filling from empty, how is the trapped air coming out? Also how are we making sure that we are not exceeding the 140 ml Max. ? I followed the procedure the first time and that’s how I think the endcap got damaged.
Once again thank you for everything you do to help.
post #9 of 12 Old Sep 17th, 2018, 3:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer2000 View Post
JZeller. Kudos to you for educating us on EHCS ! 👍🏻
I have mine on the table and after repairing a busted end cap i’ll Be ready to reassemble by tomorrow. Question: You said that all the filling can be done using the 9 mm port. Did I understand correctly and no purging is necessary? If we are filling from empty, how is the trapped air coming out? Also how are we making sure that we are not exceeding the 140 ml Max. ? I followed the procedure the first time and that’s how I think the endcap got damaged.
Once again thank you for everything you do to help.
Stargazer2000:

I just flushed & re-filled mine through procedures detailed in several locations on the forums. Worked fine the first time after re-install. I emptied all the oil after flushing it clean. Used the big port for fill & smaller 3 ports for draining. (Although JZeller recently says you need not use all three small ports. From attached pdf you can see with large port down, the left smaller port at top is the one to open.) Once the flush ran pretty clear, I emptied as much oil as I could, pumping the shaft and tilting unit. Re-filled w/ 140 ml jack oil through big port, with smaller one open. (That may not be necessary.) (spring and ball removed from large port for cleaning & filling.) I had to tilt and wait for the fill to go down and allow more room to fill. Got it all in. Buttoned up. Re-installed. So far it's worked several times perfectly.

Good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Oil Fill.pdf (252.8 KB, 23 views)
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.
post #10 of 12 Old Sep 18th, 2018, 7:10 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

That diagram was a very early assumption on my part as we were developing the fill procedure. I now do all drain and fill from the 19 MM spigot at the base. I point the hole down over a drain pan and cycle the shaft in and out several times to drain.

To fill I point the hole up and add oil 60 ml at a time while I press in the shaft (it will "suck" the oil in). After each 60 ml I cover the hole with my thumb and cycle the shaft several time and repeat until I have added 140 ml. I keep the hole elevated slightly to let out the air bubbles. I have done 45 units this way.
saddleman likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #11 of 12 Old Sep 18th, 2018, 8:22 pm

Garage
Thank you JZeller and djmellor for sharing your experience. I really appreciate it.
After reinforcing the end cap and polishing the shaft I will be ready to reassemble and refill tomorrow after work so your response came just in time! 🙂
I will certainly follow your recommendations and hopefully everything will work as expected.
The only thing pending to complete the install will be (1) of the big M10x65 bolts I found missing when I removed the unit. It should arrive by the end of the week. (Fingers crossed)
post #12 of 12 Old Sep 19th, 2018, 2:46 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

They stock those M 10 at most Ace Hardware stores.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in