Has been a few months - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By james216

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jul 3rd, 2017, 11:00 am Thread Starter

Cool Has been a few months

Finally getting a chance to catch up on my 99 garage find. After trailering bike to sisters Surprise , AZ. Did full update. Brake lines, tires (Thank you MOTOGHOST), trailer hitch (DMC sidecar) which I built a modification on for a cooler rack & 1" receiver. J&M CB, Gramin GPS. added charging locations in back cargo and in front by Cassette input.
First ride was 4/19 from Surprise AZ to Las Vegas, NV for NAB convention. Week later a group of co-workers rented bikes in LV and did the run to Grand Canyon. Woke up 2nd day to 20 degrees. seat heat and grip heaters were working well. Ran back to Phoenix enjoyed going from 20 degrees to 80+ in 3 hours.
Trailer-ed bike back to PA and will be running to VT end of this week.
Will post some Pics of bike and add ons.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch_crop_resize.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	370.5 KB
ID:	128298   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cooler_plate_resize.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	722.7 KB
ID:	128306   Click image for larger version

Name:	JM_resize.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	611.3 KB
ID:	128314   Click image for larger version

Name:	USB_resize.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	568.9 KB
ID:	128322   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike_resize.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	128330  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jul 4th, 2017, 1:51 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Has been a few months

Glad there were no surprises!! Sounds like you are enjoying the old girl. Vermont should be nice.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Jul 5th, 2017, 11:56 pm

Good for you! If you are a mechanic these old bikes can be a bargain. If not they can be a money pit! My LT was a wreck that was totaled. I bought her right and have made all the updates. My wife will not ride on anything else!

post #4 of 9 Old Jul 6th, 2017, 9:41 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbob307 View Post
Good for you! If you are a mechanic these old bikes can be a bargain. If not they can be a money pit! My LT was a wreck that was totaled. I bought her right and have made all the updates. My wife will not ride on anything else!
You make a key point about the LT. It is a great bike for two classes of owners:
1. Those who are wealthy and don't mind dropping $1-3,000 every 2-3 years for a major dealer repair. And $500-1,000 each year for routine maintenance.
2. Those who are reasonably competent wrenches and are willing to spend the time here and in the manuals to learn the nuances and weak points of the design and don't mind investing 8-16 hours each year for routine maintenance and 12-40 hours every 2-3 years for a major repair.

If you are of modest means and prefer to leave the wrenching to others, the LT has a good chance of making you miserable.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Voyager; Jul 6th, 2017 at 4:50 pm.
post #5 of 9 Old Jul 6th, 2017, 3:19 pm

Quote:
. My wife will not ride on anything else!
And that is what I am told.
Off to France again tomorrow.
post #6 of 9 Old Jul 6th, 2017, 10:52 pm

[QUOTE=fatbob307;1746322]Good for you! If you are a mechanic these old bikes can be a bargain. If not they can be a money pit! My LT was a wreck that was totaled. I bought her right and have made all the updates. My wife will not ride on anything else![/QUOTE
Not only will my wife not ride on anything else. She will not even entertain the thought of replacing it. Not that it needs it. But someday it will. She thinks it will run forever. Yep. Gonna be a problem when the time comes

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #7 of 9 Old Jul 7th, 2017, 9:26 am
Lifetime Supporter

[quote=james216;1746562]
Quote:
Good for you! If you are a mechanic these old bikes can be a bargain. If not they can be a money pit! My LT was a wreck that was totaled. I bought her right and have made all the updates. My wife will not ride on anything else![/QUOTE
Not only will my wife not ride on anything else. She will not even entertain the thought of replacing it. Not that it needs it. But someday it will. She thinks it will run forever. Yep. Gonna be a problem when the time comes
That's for sure. I have been actively looking since 2013 and have found nothing comparable. The GTL is closest. With $2,000 of aftermarket parts (seat, windshield, Aeroflow deflectors, etc.) it sounds like others have come close to the LT, but I am not ready yet to spend 33 grand to only "come close" to my LT.

The new Yamaha Venture looks very appealing up until you read "air cooled V-twin." Who wants to sit at every stop light with a hot cylinder cooling itself by radiating into your legs? I just can't fathom Yamaha's logic. And upcoming emission standards will make it really hard to certify an air cooled engine in both the US and Europe. Even Harley has seen that writing on the wall, hence their Rushmore project. And their own projection for mileage is 34 MPG! I have two cars that get that. That is far, far worse than the LT or GTL and substantially worse than the Gold Wing.

My only hope is that this is an interim model to get to market more quickly by using their existing cruiser engine. The openings on each side of the engine which appear to now be either air intakes or filled with plastic panels sure look like radiator mounts to me. If Yamaha installs a watercooled engine into the Venture, that would very likely make me a customer.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #8 of 9 Old Jul 7th, 2017, 3:49 pm

If they would have put in a liquid cooled V4 in the bike. They very well may have had me as,a customer. It's got all the other stuff the LT has. Power windshield. Heated seats grips & backrest

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #9 of 9 Old Jul 8th, 2017, 9:43 am

[quote=Voyager;1746642]
Quote:
Originally Posted by james216 View Post

That's for sure. I have been actively looking since 2013 and have found nothing comparable. The GTL is closest. With $2,000 of aftermarket parts (seat, windshield, Aeroflow deflectors, etc.) it sounds like others have come close to the LT, but I am not ready yet to spend 33 grand to only "come close" to my LT.

The new Yamaha Venture looks very appealing up until you read "air cooled V-twin." Who wants to sit at every stop light with a hot cylinder cooling itself by radiating into your legs? I just can't fathom Yamaha's logic. And upcoming emission standards will make it really hard to certify an air cooled engine in both the US and Europe. Even Harley has seen that writing on the wall, hence their Rushmore project. And their own projection for mileage is 34 MPG! I have two cars that get that. That is far, far worse than the LT or GTL and substantially worse than the Gold Wing.

My only hope is that this is an interim model to get to market more quickly by using their existing cruiser engine. The openings on each side of the engine which appear to now be either air intakes or filled with plastic panels sure look like radiator mounts to me. If Yamaha installs a watercooled engine into the Venture, that would very likely make me a customer.
Yep. $2K in aftermarket parts.(seats,deflectors windshield etc..) To come close? Yea. Had to put some of that on my LT. But bought it for much less. Yea l'm spending $26-33k for something to come close to a 18 year old design? Shouldn't 18 years of Technological advancements make the new model superior IN EVERY WAY?? I would think so...I'm not knocking the GTL. It's a great machine. I just think BMW didn't put enough distinct difference between the GT/GTL.The GTL should have shared parts yes. But it should have been a full blown tourer. The GT should have been for the sport touring crowd.
Voyager likes this.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.

Last edited by james216; Jul 8th, 2017 at 9:53 am. Reason: Add content

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in