5Likes
  • 2 Post By gorm5
  • 1 Post By fatbob307
  • 1 Post By jers99lt
  • 1 Post By alabrew

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jul 1st, 2017, 10:20 pm Thread Starter

Close call

I was exiting the Meijers parking lot today after after doing a small bit of grocery shopping when a white sedan (Nissan Maxima?) shot out in front of me. I had to slam on the brakes in the middle of a slow speed turn. I was relieved for about about 1 second when I realized my bike was leaning on the right side about 3 inches from the ground.

I instinctively pulled up and expected her to right herself. Wrong!! She just froze in place. I then realized that I had to either lay her down as gently as possible or give it everything I had to try and pull her upright. I chose the latter, and miraculously I got her upright after 3-4 incredibly intense seconds fighting with her. Thank god for 30 years of heavy weight training! She never hit the ground.

My thoughts immediately went to all the forum discussions surrounding LT drops, specifically "There are 2 types of LT owners. The ones that have dropped them and the ones that are going to drop them". I've only had my LT for 18 months so we will see what the future holds, but I won today's battle. Just wanted to share.
Patric and Notahog like this.

Patrick Russell
I live and ride in Illinois, which has some of the straightest roads in the country.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 Bluish Honda CB 650 (retired)
1986 Red Honda Nighthawk 450 (abandoned)
Didn't own a bike from 1999 to 2012
1997 Black Honda Valkyrie (still own)
2005 Ocean Blue BMW K1200LT "Apocalypse" (bought in March '16)

IBA Saddlesore 1000

Bucket List destinations:
Sturgis (maybe)
Nova Scotia
Pacific Coast highway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jul 1st, 2017, 10:46 pm

Re: Close call

Good work Gorm! I'll bet you were glad you had ABS! I had a close call while braking in a turn wondering why the road was black and shiny under the bike. Diesel spill, that stuff is slick on a concrete highway! My abs kept the front wheel from locking and me and the bike from hitting the pavement. Good luck with the cagers!
gorm5 likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old Jul 4th, 2017, 1:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorm5 View Post
I was exiting the Meijers parking lot today after after doing a small bit of grocery shopping when a white sedan (Nissan Maxima?) shot out in front of me. I had to slam on the brakes in the middle of a slow speed turn. I was relieved for about about 1 second when I realized my bike was leaning on the right side about 3 inches from the ground.

I instinctively pulled up and expected her to right herself. Wrong!! She just froze in place. I then realized that I had to either lay her down as gently as possible or give it everything I had to try and pull her upright. I chose the latter, and miraculously I got her upright after 3-4 incredibly intense seconds fighting with her. Thank god for 30 years of heavy weight training! She never hit the ground.

My thoughts immediately went to all the forum discussions surrounding LT drops, specifically "There are 2 types of LT owners. The ones that have dropped them and the ones that are going to drop them". I've only had my LT for 18 months so we will see what the future holds, but I won today's battle. Just wanted to share.
I keep a running count in my sig. LOL Not bad, I feel, since 2007. Lot of time between the first 4 and the fifth.

Have fun,
Jer
gorm5 likes this.

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!

post #4 of 11 Old Jul 4th, 2017, 10:50 pm Thread Starter

LOL That is too funny. May you have never get that 6th drop.

Patrick Russell
I live and ride in Illinois, which has some of the straightest roads in the country.

1984 Bluish Honda CB 650 (retired)
1986 Red Honda Nighthawk 450 (abandoned)
Didn't own a bike from 1999 to 2012
1997 Black Honda Valkyrie (still own)
2005 Ocean Blue BMW K1200LT "Apocalypse" (bought in March '16)

IBA Saddlesore 1000

Bucket List destinations:
Sturgis (maybe)
Nova Scotia
Pacific Coast highway
post #5 of 11 Old Jul 5th, 2017, 10:23 am

I've done a couple of driveway drops of my LT. With my back to the bike, I use the handlebar on one side and the other hand (with glove) on the highest point of the trunk I can get traction on. I know the trunk isn't meant for these sorts of forces/loads, but the extra height really helps this old body (78) generate enough righting moment to lift it back up.

Come to think of it, I haven't done it for a couple of years..........
post #6 of 11 Old Jul 14th, 2017, 3:27 pm

Close call

I had dropped my LT twice.
First I was doing the oil change with the bike on the CS. When I applied torque to a stuck oil filter the bike moves forward. It was falling on my little brother, so I pulled it to my side. Crushed my skull and left arm. After lots of screaming four neighbors lifted it off my head.
The second time was in slo-mo. Got to a street intersection and while stopping couldn't find footing, lots of sand.
I slowly put the big girl down. A little scratch was all...

If it's gonna drop, let it -slowly- drop. Just not on your head like me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

----------------------------------------------------
BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW K1200R: "Drophammer" 2006
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)

-----------------------------------------------------
post #7 of 11 Old Jul 15th, 2017, 12:15 am

Glad you were not hurt picking up your bike, not easy or safe. Use your rear brake in parking lots.

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #8 of 11 Old Jul 15th, 2017, 12:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech View Post
Glad you were not hurt picking up your bike, not easy or safe. Use your rear brake in parking lots.
A good suggestion that doesn't work with the servo linked brakes on the LT, rear also gives front.
saddleman likes this.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #9 of 11 Old Jul 15th, 2017, 1:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabrew View Post
A good suggestion that doesn't work with the servo linked brakes on the LT, rear also gives front.
If you use the rear brake lightly, it doesn't apply the fronts on an '02 and a '03 LT. I'm sure about that as I've used both years LT in parking lots using the rear brake. I try to NEVER touch the front brake under slow parking lot conditions. It'll go down for sure.

Been several years now since my last drop.

Just my 2 cents on the subject.

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #10 of 11 Old Jul 15th, 2017, 1:56 pm

I had a '02 and never could get just rear. I've read that here but it never worked for me. As soon as I applied rear brake, the servos run and both brakes are applied. Doesn't work that way on the '05 either.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #11 of 11 Old Jul 15th, 2017, 4:28 pm

Integral brakes, I can never keep it straight which bikes have full integral and partial integral. Seems the LT series is full integral and is easy on the front using the rear pedal until a certain force level is reached. I understand why it is there, don't personally like it. And I really have bad thoughts about the servo bikes. But here is a seriously deep thread on it and the PDF paper is excellent.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...-negative.html

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in