You're right. There is no replacement for her. I have a 2000LT and would go anywhere on her. Can't imagine any other bike that would make me happier.
I can easily imagine one. The LT with:
1. 1500cc engine tuned for low-end torque with lower compression and knock sensor to burn 85 octane fuel without detonation
2. 6 speed transmission with much lower first gear and higher high gear and bearings sized for the torque and seals that don't leak and seat against a shoulder. Depth sensitive seals are simply lousy engineering.
3. Wet clutch
4. Driveshaft with replaceable u-joints and no rubber coupler to fail
5. Final drive that is bullet proof and can be correctly assembled without special tools by a trained monkey
6. Hydraulic lifters that never need adjustment
7. All filters (air, fuel and oil) that can be accessed with the removal of no more than one body panel
8. External spin-on oil filter or cartridge filter on top of engine like modern cars if internal
9. Quick oil drain like on light airplanes so no drain plug to strip or torque
10. Slide in radios and GPS like light airplanes so that upgrades can be made painlessly
11. Luggage and trunk latches that don't break
12. Traction control
13. ESA or at least easily manually adjustable suspension for preload and damping
14. Standard size tires used by at least three other nonBMW motorcycles
I could go on, but I will stop here.